PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 - 5" version coming soon?

brantley65
12-12-07, 21:47
Got the chance to shot the MP 45 last week and I was very impressed with this gun. Recoil was very mild and to be honest I found my G19 to a little more "flippy" if that makes any sense. I read somewhere that Smith may be coming out with a 5' version to mimic the 1911 length. Has anyone heard similar info?
I would also be interested in hearing any modifications via Bowie Tactical or other gunsmith that MP 45 owners have had done to their guns. The only thing I was iffy on was the sights - I have become used to the XS big dots and felt like they would shine on this gun.

usaffarmer
12-12-07, 21:52
I hope they do this way i can get another M&P. I love my 45 and 40. They both shoot very nice. Im running trijicon night sights on both with no issues. Lets all keep our fingers crossed!!

R1pper
12-13-07, 00:26
I heard the same thing but not in a 5 inch but a commander length. And this is from a very reliable source that works for Smith. On a side note I finally got to shoot one as well this past monday night. HOLY HELL!! I was able to shoot a tighter group with the 45 than my M&P 40. I will be getting one in the next few weeks or so!

John_Wayne777
12-13-07, 08:04
Got the chance to shot the MP 45 last week and I was very impressed with this gun. Recoil was very mild and to be honest I found my G19 to a little more "flippy" if that makes any sense. I read somewhere that Smith may be coming out with a 5' version to mimic the 1911 length. Has anyone heard similar info?
I would also be interested in hearing any modifications via Bowie Tactical or other gunsmith that MP 45 owners have had done to their guns. The only thing I was iffy on was the sights - I have become used to the XS big dots and felt like they would shine on this gun.

I don't know about a longer .45 ACP, as the existing one is already a fairly long gun. Maybe GotM4 or one of the other guys who hang out with Ernie Langdon can clear that up.

I do know that Smith is supposed to be coming out with a compact version of the 45 and an "elite" version of the 9mm that has a 5 inch barrel on it geared for competition.

As to work by custom smiths, I've had my 9mm's trigger reworked by Burwell. It made a HUGE difference in how well I could shoot the weapon.

John_Wayne777
12-13-07, 08:05
I heard the same thing but not in a 5 inch but a commander length. And this is from a very reliable source that works for Smith. On a side note I finally got to shoot one as well this past monday night. HOLY HELL!! I was able to shoot a tighter group with the 45 than my M&P 40. I will be getting one in the next few weeks or so!

At the low light class Ken Hackathorn told us that for some reason the .45 version of the M&P is just freakishly accurate.

Robb Jensen
12-13-07, 08:09
I don't know about a longer .45 ACP, as the existing one is already a fairly long gun. Maybe GotM4 or one of the other guys who hang out with Ernie Langdon can clear that up.

I do know that Smith is supposed to be coming out with a compact version of the 45 and an "elite" version of the 9mm that has a 5 inch barrel on it geared for competition.

As to work by custom smiths, I've had my 9mm's trigger reworked by Burwell. It made a HUGE difference in how well I could shoot the weapon.

I hear no talk of a bigger .45, but they will be making a compact. And for the capacity junkies they are making 14 round capacity mags for the regular M&P45. 5" will be 9mm (then probably .40). This is to take advantage of the USPSA and IDPA 'box' this is where a Glock 34/35 just barely fits.

R1pper
12-13-07, 19:21
I hear no talk of a bigger .45, but they will be making a compact. And for the capacity junkies they are making 14 round capacity mags for the regular M&P45. 5" will be 9mm (then probably .40). This is to take advantage of the USPSA and IDPA 'box' this is where a Glock 34/35 just barely fits.

The rumor I heard about the 45 was that there will be a compact and a 4 1/4 inch barrel that sits on the same frame as the 45 that is available now. I also heard the same about the 14rnd mags.

The PD that my father is on adopted the 45 as the new duty weapon, The PD I am on went to the 40 but now know there are talks of going to the 45 instead

popodaman
12-14-07, 11:49
I would like the Higher Capacity .45 Magazines.

Any time Frame on the release???

k9dpd
12-14-07, 17:31
I guess every Smith rep has different info, mine told me that the 12 round mag is due out soon, no info on the 14 at all.

RHR
12-14-07, 17:39
5" will be 9mm (then probably .40). This is to take advantage of the USPSA and IDPA 'box' this is where a Glock 34/35 just barely fits.

Any idea when they will be available?