PDA

View Full Version : Mini -y Comp removal

Plastic Fantastic
12-12-07, 22:02
I have a BM with a 14.5" BBL that has a mini-y comp permamently installed to make it legal. Is there a safe way to remove the comp and replace it with a Phantom flash suppressor? Is this something I can do myself without damaging the BBL, or should I send the upper to someone to have it professionally done? Who do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Plastic Fantastic
12-17-07, 19:48
Doesn't anyone have an idea how to do this? Maybe it isn't prudent and I should have the upper rebarreled. Maybe I'll sent it to Grant after the Holidays.

Trim2L
12-17-07, 19:55
Orient the blind pin vertical. Use a cut off wheel and cut the brake almost to the muzzle vertical with the blind pin. Use a cold chisel and hammer to split the brake the rest of the way. Be careful not to damage the barrel with the chisel.

BushmasterFanBoy
12-18-07, 05:23
Great choice on a 14.5 inch upper. It's as compact as someone can go without having to resort to an SBR.

First off you need to make sure that it is legal for you to have a flash suppressor on your weapon. Some cities and states do not allow this and have really crazy restrictions. Furthermore unless you will be registering this as an SBR you will need to have the new muzzle device permanently installed.

Secondly, get the upper packed up and send it to either ADCO or Randall at AR15.com barrels. They can easily install a Phantom in place of the Mini Y and make it permanent. Good luck!

Plastic Fantastic
12-19-07, 19:12
Thanks for the replies. I don't feel comfortable attempting to cut off the mini-y comp with a cutting tool. I'd probably screw it up or screw my hand up in the process. I think I'll send it out. Bushmasterfanboy, any idea how much it would cost to have this done? It is legal to have a flash suppressor permamently attached in my area. New BM cabines at the local shop have Izzy flash suppressors permamently attached, just can't have adjustable stocks. (New York sucks!)They come with fake adjustable stocks.:mad: I chose to have a standard stock. Thanks again!:)

MASP7
12-19-07, 20:42
Here's a pic of one I cut off, which is the only good thing to do with the "Mini-Why?" Comp...

I cut it through the first set of holes with a hack saw, just to make it shorter and easier to deal with.
Aligned with the pin (this is usually 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock), cut a slot towards the muzzle with the hacksaw, being careful not to nick the crown. Then, using a dremel cut-off wheel, cut a slot where the pin is. Make the slot deep enough to just see the top of the thread roots peeking through, and connect it to the muzzle slot. Don't go farther back than the rear or the comp, or you will be cutting into the barrel shoulder. This leaves a little triangle of metal that will easily break.
I use a large screwdriver in the front of the slot. Tap it in, and then use a little leverage to snap the comp in half. You can use a chisel, but you take a chance of dinging the crown if you're not careful.

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album//00000356/Perm_Cut.jpg

Plastic Fantastic
12-19-07, 22:36
MASP7, nice job! How did you pin the new flash suppressor?

MASP7
12-20-07, 16:45
There are several ways to do it, but I usually drill the flash hider to have an interference fit with the pin. (Usually 0.093" drill rod) Install the flash hider and continue drilling into the barrel 0.050" or 0.060". Drive the pin to the bottom of the hole and grind flush. I have a professional welder TIG weld the pin. He usually doesn't use any rod, and it leaves a small spot weld that I darken up with cold blue or aluminum black. I don't mind the little dimple, and it serves to show that the pin is welded in place. Other times I have had him use some rod, ground it down and re-parkerized. The weld is still visible as there is a slight color change in the metal.

BTW- I think using the "set screw" method is unnecessary. Not only do you have to spend extra time to thread the hole, when the threaded hole is welded, the material tends to suck away from sides of the hole when it melts. The pressed-in pin welds like a solid piece of metal.