PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P .40 upgrades?

DCastro11B
01-13-12, 21:06
Pretty new here and was wondering what are some of the best "upgrades" you can make on an M&P .40 that are usefull and practical? I just bought it recently, and would like to get the best out of my pistol as much as possible. I plan on using it for concealed carry, and possibly start getting into 3 gun.

Fire_Medic
01-13-12, 21:10
From what you stated, I would say extra magazines, at least 1,000 rounds of ammo, and a handgun 101 class with the instructor of your choice. After that get a holster for CCW, then take a second class, then you should know for yourself what upgrades YOU need to make for your gun.

:neo:

DiscipulusArmorum
01-13-12, 21:56
Fire_Medic already touched on the most essential additions. In addition to those, you might also look into the Apex Tactical DCAEK.

IZinterrogator
01-14-12, 00:23
Fire_Medic covered the important stuff, so I'll skip giving advice on trigger and sight upgrades. I will suggest since you plan on using it for concealed carry that you get a light and possibly a laser. I added Crimson Trace grips and a Lightguard to mine for low light encounters.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

DCastro11B
01-14-12, 18:52
Thanks for all the good feedback. I will definitely look into the Apex kit as well. Thanks again.

zacii
01-14-12, 19:42
I would not own an M&P without the Apex kit. Ymmv

dmaxfireman
01-14-12, 19:47
Both of my M&P's have the Apex DCAEK kits and I would not hesitate to make that your next purchase.

veeklog
01-14-12, 19:51
Both of my M&P's have the Apex DCAEK kits and I would not hesitate to make that your next purchase.

same here!

iCarbine
01-14-12, 20:36
Another vote for DCAEK. Tritium sights might be a good idea too. I like AmeriGlo. That's all I would do, with the possible addition of a stippling job if it fits your taste. Spend the rest on mags, ammo and training.

An Apex RAM is also a good addition.

MP9
01-14-12, 21:58
hi and welcome..

are you an expert with handguns, do you shoot super fast and have you overcome your gun? , so you need an upgrade to keep improving?

I'm not an expert but the first thing is practice.. so basically upgrade the "shooter"... and when you feel you cant go further.. then upgrade the gun.

the apex dcaek is a good idea,this improve your trigger..but if I were new to guns and would rather save and pay some training..

if you are already an experienced shooter, forget what I said. apex dcaek is the way to go and maybe change the sights..

BaronFitz
01-14-12, 23:06
I'd also suggest perhaps an Apex Reset Assist Module (RAM). It makes the trigger reset much more positive, if such things are important to you.

DCastro11B
01-15-12, 11:54
Another vote for DCAEK. Tritium sights might be a good idea too. I like AmeriGlo. That's all I would do, with the possible addition of a stippling job if it fits your taste. Spend the rest on mags, ammo and training.

An Apex RAM is also a good addition.

I am definitely looking into getting the M&P stippled as well. Any suggestions on a particular dealer to go with for this? I have never had it done. I wanted my Glock 19 stippled, but turned around and sold it instead. I think I'm going to go with traditional Trijicon night sights or try out the VTAC sights. Thanks everyone for the continued feedback. Really appreciate it.

Fire_Medic
01-15-12, 11:57
I am definitely looking into getting the M&P stippled as well. Any suggestions on a particular dealer to go with for this? I have never had it done. I wanted my Glock 19 stippled, but turned around and sold it instead. I think I'm going to go with traditional Trijicon night sights or try out the VTAC sights. Thanks everyone for the continued feedback. Really appreciate it.

I would make sure you will be keeping the pistol before having it stippled, but then I would recommend Ben for the work:

http://www.boresightsolutions.com/

iCarbine
01-15-12, 15:47

While I haven't attempted it, many people here have done their own stippling jobs. Do a search and you'll find plenty of advice and pictures of finished jobs. Good luck with your new pistol.

storm52
01-15-12, 17:20
I've viewed the videos on installation for the APEX. How difficult, for those that have the experience, for someone without experience to complete?

Hogsgunwild
01-15-12, 17:40
I have four M&Ps now and all four are configured the same with Ameriglo Idot Pro green sights and Apex Forward Set Sear and Trigger kits. I absolutely love the set-up.

The magazine base plates sold by Hilton Yam are the only thing that I would still like, besides perhaps some stippling.

Hogsgunwild
01-15-12, 17:53
My first FSS installation took me an hour to an hour-and-a-half and a few choice words. The other two that I did took me around forty minutes I think. Hard to recall exactly as I swapped sights out at the same time. The times I am stating do not include the sight swaps. Definitely much easier the second time. I would recommend that one should be at least slightly mechanically inclined. I am fairly mechanically inclined but far from a gunsmith. I took my time and tried to get it right the first time.

My fourth M&P was purchased with the kit installed already.

All four guns have worked like a charm since the installs.

jeremy stanke
01-15-12, 18:34
Send it to Doug at ATEi guns. His work is amazing and they are a one stop shop. I have Boresight m&ps and ones that have apex kits installed. I now send any additional guns to Doug, he is the guy that does work for Fisher and Costa as well, not that it matters but I would think that they know what quality work is.