PDA

View Full Version : ...Or maybe moving to Idaho now

Aries144
01-14-12, 00:53
It has been decreed that we are not, in fact, moving to Montana. We are now moving to Idaho. Specifically, the Rexburg area. My sincerest thanks to all those who responded to that post and maybe I'll meet up with you guys some time for a cross-state shooting event.

I'm looking for info on ranges, range membership costs, places to shoot, multi-gun groups, and generally finding other folks that are interested in multi-gun, training, and practical shooting around the Rexburg, ID area.

Much appreciated guys.

Aries144
01-17-12, 11:20
Having looked at the sites for some ranges around the Rexburg area, I'm coming away with a somewhat negative impression. They all seem to be supervised, with full-time range officers.

I can't stand shooting at someone else's direction or while having someone looking over my shoulder (range nazis). I've also noticed things like 'no militia style uniforms' in their membership rules. Does this mean I'm going to get shouted at for using 'human shaped targets' or for wearing a woodland camo goretex parka in the rain? It gives me a very "yuppies who just want to play with our toys in a safe environment that doesn't bear any resemblance to anything violent" kind of vibe. Very PC. It seems at first glance like an environment very unfriendly to the idea of training and practical (read self defense/fighting) use of firearms, which is the aspect that's always interested me.

Are there any groups in this area that focus more on practical firearms use and practicing or attending formal training?

I'm coming from a group where our multigun matches had our own rules and scoring that rewarded good practical skills and stages were designed to discourage "gaming." It was made up of a mix former military guys, current military, competition shooters, and average guys and had more of a practical getting dirty feel than a gaming feel.

Is there any of this kind of stuff going out here, or is it all just mainly vanilla IDPA/IPSC lets-play-with-our-toy-guns kind of stuff?

Aries144
01-20-12, 23:41
Anyone?

leadsender
01-21-12, 01:13
I don't know about the Rexburg area but I understand that LMS defense will be moving to twin falls... It's a couple hours away buy they should bring some classes and actual ranges, but if you don't find any local ranges there is plenty of BLM land that you can use as well as gravel pits

Aries144
01-21-12, 20:02
Thanks for the info man.

I always like to know what I'm getting into before moving. There are places you have to drive over an hour just to find a place to shoot.

Have you guys heard anything about the BLM banning shooting on BLM land because it 'scares urban people who might be out running or walking their dogs' or read about that quote from a BLM official?

That blew me away.

leadsender
01-21-12, 21:08
No that's news to me.. I don't think it will get close to passing, there is just to many people that own guns and go out shooting. Which brings me to my next point a lot of those people don't have common sense and don't think about the backdrop or lack there of.

Aries144
01-21-12, 21:27
Yeah, I've seen the way rounds can skip off the ground and travel quite a distance, especially the larger calibers with sturdy bullets, like .308 and fmj 9mm.

I prefer knowing where my rounds are impacting. 'Lawyer attached to every bullet' and such, you know.

DeltaSierra
01-21-12, 22:54
Old news.

BLM determined that after the groundswell of support for shooting on BLM land, they would not push for any ban.

That whole issue was already over and done with back in September or so IIRC.

Thanks for the info man.

I always like to know what I'm getting into before moving. There are places you have to drive over an hour just to find a place to shoot.

Have you guys heard anything about the BLM banning shooting on BLM land because it 'scares urban people who might be out running or walking their dogs' or read about that quote from a BLM official?

That blew me away.

leadsender
01-21-12, 23:33
Yeah, I've seen the way rounds can skip off the ground and travel quite a distance, especially the larger calibers with sturdy bullets, like .308 and fmj 9mm.

I prefer knowing where my rounds are impacting. 'Lawyer attached to every bullet' and such, you know.

I wish some of the uneducated around here thought like that I almost had to call the cops on a guy that was splattering my vehicle with dirt from a few hundred yards away. Once he realized what he was doing he was gone before I got there to inform him

Aries144
01-22-12, 18:12
DeltaSierra,

Thank you very much for that. I didn't know it was old news. The quote taken from that official was so condescending it made me see red. I guess that's why it stuck with me.

Leadsender,

Geez! If someone had sent rounds close enough to splatter my vehicle with dirt, I would have assumed they were shooting at me. I'm glad the situation concluded with no further drama or damage.

bchand01
01-22-12, 18:33
I couldn't give you any advise in anyway shape or form, but my cousin bought a house in Idaho. From his land you can see the Rockies and it is BEAUTIFUL. This is now where I tell you I am jealous and wish I were moving to idaho and good luck with the move.

leadsender
01-22-12, 19:13
Yeah it really pissed me off but like I said by the time I was able to find out where he was he was gone but anyways... Idaho has alot of opportunity for outdoors type of stuff as well as firearms, there are quite a few firearm related companies that are based out of here and I am always discovering more.

DeltaSierra
01-22-12, 19:40
DeltaSierra,

Thank you very much for that. I didn't know it was old news. The quote taken from that official was so condescending it made me see red. I guess that's why it stuck with me.

While it didn't directly affect me at this point in time either way, I took special note, as the next time I head out to Arizona, I really want to go out on a certain piece of BLM land that I've hiked on to do some shooting...

mcmillanman5
01-26-12, 13:18
I live about an hour south of Rexburg and am frequently up in that area to go 4 wheeling at the St. Anthony sand dunes.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the ranges there but once you get outside of the city limits there is a ton of open space and I am certain that you won't have any trouble finding places to shoot and doing your own thing.

I have never done 3 gun so I am no help there, but several shops in the SE Idaho area promote training and putting on classes.

While I have never personally dealt with this shop I have heard good things:
http://www.idahoarmoryguns.com/

They are just south of Rexburg and would be able to give you more specific details about events and such in that area.

Hope this helps

Aries144
01-27-12, 19:04
Thanks for the info!