PDA

View Full Version : Bulgarian Makarovs

G34
01-14-12, 04:53
I've searched the forums and the semi-related posts have informed me however slightly but I'm hoping somebody's got a little more first hand knowledge.

Are the Century Bulgarian Imports worth looking at? Who's got one and
-What condition grade was it listed in compared to what condition the gun was actually in when you got it internally & externally?
-How was reliability and accuracy?
-How were the DA/SA trigger functionality

I've got an East German Makarov but I'd like another one not quite so nice to beat up and potentially be my pocket gun if its still in working and safe condition as I already shoot the East German with a very high level of proficiency.

hamster-in-a-wheel
01-14-12, 19:56
I have an older PW Imports 1979 Bulgarian. not a Century, but maybe this will help some.
I've shot it relatively little. I've heard the East Germans tend to be nicer, but mine was/is in excellent cosmetic condition. The double action is great; very smooth and light. The single action is lighter than my 1911. In general, it seems mechanically equal or better to my Izhmash commercials, though the recoil spring seems a bit worn.
I have no idea how the Century imports are these days, but I'd buy one if I didn't get a great deal on this one.

G34
01-15-12, 02:49
Thanks.

TheLefty
01-15-12, 19:05
I've got a Century-imported Bulgy that I bought in a private sale several years ago, and it's been great. The box states the condition as excellent, and other than a few very small scratches in the finish and some wear on the safety/decocker (which may have been from the previous owner), I'd have to agree.

IMO, the Bulgarian Makarov is the best bang-for-your-buck shooter of the Mak family. East Germans are regarded as the nicest, and from the ones I've seen, I concur. The Bulgarian Maks, to me, are a step up cosmetically from the Russian and Chinese Makarovs.

I'm not a big fan of DA/SA triggers, but it is smooth. The DA pull is not what I'd call light, but again, it's more that the trigger is not to my taste. It's definitely not heavy. The safety/decocker lever is pretty hard to manipulate, but that may change with use, I don't know.

I think the Bulgarian is a good choice for what you want. I don't own an East German Mak, but I do own a commercial Arsenal Bulgarian Mak that looks to be be unfired, so that's my "safe queen."

The Bulgarian, depending on condition, should give you the same reliability for which the Makarov is known. Thankfully, Century is only the importer, so you don't have to worry about them ruining it. So, other than their slightly unattractive importer markings (which may or may not have changed), you should be very happy with your purchase.

I must say that I don't know what condition of Maks they're offering now though, so that may be a factor.

G34
01-15-12, 20:25
Thanks for the information Lefty. My main concern is acceptable fit finish and condition of the major parts - especially the hammer block. Sounds like from what you said these are all acceptable. I've also heard that the Bulgarian Century imports do pass those ridiculous California safety tests. With those things in place you can always make a Makarov run like a top with a 40 dollar spare parts kit. Hopefully it won't have the awful importer rollmark a lot of surplus importers are so fond of, but then again the 100% as factory produced condition of the East German is probably what prevented me from using it as much as I might have in the first place.