PDA

View Full Version : Night Sights For PPQ

caddishatch
01-14-12, 18:31
I am looking for some night sights for my PPQ. I am having trouble finding some. Who carries them?

number1olddog
01-14-12, 18:55
I got my trijicons from brownells. They are the p99 sights (PPQ,p99 sights are interchangeable):ph34r:

sarge1967
01-14-12, 19:27
These work with PPQ

http://www.opticsplanet.net/meprolight-night-sights-for-walther-pistols.html

caddishatch
01-14-12, 21:44
Thanks guys. That helps a lot. This gun is amazing!

MAUSER202
01-14-12, 23:24
These work with PPQ

http://www.opticsplanet.net/meprolight-night-sights-for-walther-pistols.html

I just put these on my new PPQ, the rear has a very slight amount of play. It will not affect use, I guess I am used to the tight as in need a tool to adjust sights on my SIG. They are bright , but the rears housing is larger than the stock one.

And yes the PPQ is an amazing pistol! I shot 300rds yesterday and I got better groups than I do with the SIG I have shot for a number of years.
The SIG groupings were nothing to complain about but the difference between the two was considerable.

balance
01-16-12, 14:21
Just an FYI, PPS sights will fit on the PPQ, along with P99 sights.

The PPS sights use a roll pin to hold the rear sight in place, unlike the P99 and PPQ which use an adjustment screw and spring loaded plunger. The PPS sights will have no play at all if that bothers some.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/18790-pps-sights-ppq.html

The First Edition PPQ pistols (threaded barrel, night sights, 17rd mag, etc.) came with the factory PPS night sights.

sarge1967
01-16-12, 15:58
Thanks guys. That helps a lot. This gun is amazing!

Yes the PPQ is an outstanding pistol! When it gets some traction in this country it is going to give Glock, H&K, and the M&P a run for their money.

payj
01-17-12, 03:07
I have Trijicons that are set up for the P99. They work good, but the rear one is a little loose. Afyer doing some research they tend to fit that way...Doesn't bother me too much, but it is there.....

SteveL
01-20-13, 16:58
Bumping an old thread here. Are there any night sights available for the PPQ yet that are dot over dot style like the Warren two dots? I have those on my M&P pistols and really love them, but Warren doesn't make sights for the PPQ. Is there anything else out there that's equivalent? If I have to get the front and rear from different places that's Ok. Thanks to anyone who can help.

CoryCop25
01-20-13, 17:05
Bumping an old thread here. Are there any night sights available for the PPQ yet that are dot over dot style like the Warren two dots? I have those on my M&P pistols and really love them, but Warren doesn't make sights for the PPQ. Is there anything else out there that's equivalent? If I have to get the front and rear from different places that's Ok. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Be patient, I am trying to get Walther and Ameriglo to get the ball rolling....

SteveL
01-20-13, 17:14
Be patient, I am trying to get Walther and Ameriglo to get the ball rolling....

I wish Ameriglo would offer this sight pattern for the PPQ.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/uc_category/sw%20201%20new%20u_1.jpg

ARonBoard
01-20-13, 17:15
Be sure to email Ameriglo to show interest.

SteveL
01-20-13, 17:23
Be sure to email Ameriglo to show interest.

Already done. I've also emailed Warren, Dawson Precision, Heine, and Trijicon.

MrTips
01-20-13, 20:25
Already done. I've also emailed Warren, Dawson Precision, Heine, and Trijicon.

Dawson already has sights for the PPQ, though not the style that you're looking for. 10-8 and Heinie have both announced that they'll have options coming out this year.

SteveL
01-20-13, 20:33
Dawson already has sights for the PPQ, though not the style that you're looking for. 10-8 and Heinie have both announced that they'll have options coming out this year.

Yeah I know there are three dot options out there, but I think I'll wait and see what the companies you mention come out with.

Just FYI for everyone I got a response from Ameriglo:

Sorry, we do not offer anything for Walther. No current plans to do so

I also got a response from Warren saying pretty much the same thing.

Magic_Salad0892
01-21-13, 05:23
Just wait. 10-8.

Gary1911A1
01-21-13, 10:31
Maybe when the PPX hits the market these companies will begin to offer sights.

SteveL
01-22-13, 20:06
I received a very interesting email from Dawson Precision this evening.

At this time we do not have a tritium rear sight for this pistol. But, we can make one for you. Please give us a call and we can work up the order for you. We do make the sights here but have to send them off to Trijicon to get the lamps installed so they can take longer to get back out to you. Our office hours are M-F 9am to 4pm central time.
Sincerely,

Note that I specifically asked about a 2 dot sight setup. They offer a tritium front, but not a tritium rear. I can only guess that if you prefer a three dot tritium setup then they could accommodate that request as well. If they will make custom sights then I doubt it matters whether you want one dot or two.

ResIpsa
01-23-13, 08:00
Any idea on whether they can outline the front vial, like the Ameriglo Pro Glo?

jstalford
01-23-13, 08:19
I received a very interesting email from Dawson Precision this evening.

Note that I specifically asked about a 2 dot sight setup. They offer a tritium front, but not a tritium rear. I can only guess that if you prefer a three dot tritium setup then they could accommodate that request as well. If they will make custom sights then I doubt it matters whether you want one dot or two.

Maybe we could do a group buy?

SteveL
01-23-13, 20:28
Any idea on whether they can outline the front vial, like the Ameriglo Pro Glo?

I have no idea. Maybe the Ameriglo front could be used with the Dawson rear?

Maybe we could do a group buy?

I would be interested.

jstalford
02-19-13, 09:12
I have no idea. Maybe the Ameriglo front could be used with the Dawson rear?

I would be interested.

I think the Dawson Precision require a 1.80 tall front which I don't think Ameriglo makes in a size that would fit the PPQ, but I could be wrong.

I also just had a 10 email exchange with them that started off telling me there would be a 6-8 week lead time for custom sights and ended up with

Dear Josh,
At this time we don't offer custom rear sights. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

So, I don't really know what to think, but I'm not really that interested in getting anything from them at this point.

I will wait and see if Heinie, Ameriglo or whoever else comes out with a 2 dot setup this year.

ResIpsa
05-08-13, 21:15
I received an email from Donna at 10-8 stating that they should have PPQ sights in 6-10 weeks.

SmokinSigs357
05-09-13, 09:17
I received an email from Donna at 10-8 stating that they should have PPQ sights in 6-10 weeks.

Any idea on what model/style? Hopefully, they still maintain the #3/Combat site picture.

Army Chief
05-09-13, 09:40
10-8 and Heinie have both announced that they'll have options coming out this year.

That is great to hear. I wrote to Heinie about this almost as soon as the pistol was released. Heard nothing in return, so it seemed that the PPQ was pretty low on their list of priorities at the time.

A nice set of straight-8s would definitely seal the deal for me.

AC

SmokinSigs357
05-09-13, 13:39
That is great to hear. I wrote to Heinie about this almost as soon as the pistol was released. Heard nothing in return, so it seemed that the PPQ was pretty low on their list of priorities at the time.

A nice set of straight-8s would definitely seal the deal for me.

AC

Bottom of their availability page says that they are about 6-8 weeks out on PPQ sights. Looks like they are going to be the brass bead ones.

This is my first time hearing about the 10-8 products...looks like nice stuff! Might have to get a set for my P30 or HK 45 as well!

Anybody have any experience with these? And, what are the "straight-8s"?

ResIpsa
05-09-13, 13:55
Bottom of their availability page says that they are about 6-8 weeks out on PPQ sights. Looks like they are going to be the brass bead ones.

This is my first time hearing about the 10-8 products...looks like nice stuff! Might have to get a set for my P30 or HK 45 as well!

Anybody have any experience with these? And, what are the "straight-8s"?

Can you post a link for the Heinie sights?

jstalford
05-09-13, 14:00
Looks like they are going to be the brass bead ones.

Looks like they're doing tritium and brass bead.

And, what are the "straight-8s"?

Here's a pic of Heinie Straight 8s

http://www.heinie.com/images/318.jpg

Can you post a link for the Heinie sights?

I think he was talking about 10-8, I don't believe Heinie has anything for the PPQ in the near future.

Blak1508
05-11-13, 01:09
I talked to Trijicon about 2 months ago and was told to keep checking their site for the release of the HD PPQ sights, if I can find the e-mail I will post it, I was told either spring or early summer. I have had the Trijicon night sights for about a year and a half and I cannot stand them, I can shoot CM consistently at 15 yards, but when actually trying to place shots within the center rings I have trouble. The only reason I am keeping them is because I want to give them another try when my ATF paperwork comes in for my Osprey.

I would much rather shots on target then all shots through same hole, but the ability to shoot less then 4 inch groups would be nice, now with my Shield using I dot Pros I am making 1.5 inch groups without much effort. Reason I am so excited for the Trijicon HDs

Hogsgunwild
05-14-13, 13:04
Here is something that I have found out over time. It is making me continue to evolve my search for the best sights, for me, on the PPQ.
I have owned two 9mm PPQs for nearly a year now and two P99AS compacts for less than half of a year. I put Trijicon Bright and Tough sights on one PPQ (with orange in the rear for a dimmer, contrasting view). Very nice for a three dot set-up, although, I always prefer two dot set-ups. I never noticed much of a difference in accuracy from the stock PPQ sights and even ran it in three days worth of LAV classes.

Then I bought (and was instantly enamored with) my two P99AS compacts. Shot them for months. I finally brought my PPQ with the Trijicon sights along to the range to compare it to my P99s. I was shooting tighter groups with the P99 compacts. The triggers are a bit different so I figured that I just needed to spend a bit more time on the PPQ and it would be fine. About a month ago, I decided to bring both 9mm PPQs to the range to compare the Trijicons to the stock sights (I put Meps on one P99 and was swapping sights around at the range to find the best sight picture for each gun). Holy shit, I could not believe how well I could shoot my PPQ with the stock sights on it compared to the gun with the Trijicons on it. I was already happy with my 25 yard groups with the Trijicons, but, the stock sights tightened my groups up consistently by at least two inches. I was thrilled because this was like getting free government cheese out of the blue!

I then put the Bright and Toughs on one of the P99 compacts and it fixed my POA/POI issue that I had with the Meps that were advertised for the "P99 and Compact models". They shot way high, so, the taller Trijicon front sight made my compact nearly perfect.

The moral of the story is that one of my PPQ slides is sitting sightless, waiting for some factory night sights from Earl's Repair Service. I have read that these (although not very bright) mimic the stock PPQ sights the best. Can't wait to try them out.

When Heine becomes an option, I will probably have to give them a try too as I have always liked their sights.

Ghost 954RR
05-14-13, 14:15
I bought one set of Trijicons from Opticsplanet and another from Amazon. Optics planet had the better price but when I went to buy a second pair for my SO's PPQ they sent me an email saying they were suddenly out of stock and it would be 2-4 months. I paid $10 more on amazon but it was worth not having to wait to me.

I emailed Trijicon asking about HD sights and received this response on April 29th 2013.

Dear Graig,

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not offer Trijicon HD night sights for the Walter PPQ. We have no plans to manufacture any for this model however please check back because we are always coming out with new product www.trijicon.com . We will add your request to the future product list. On the other hand, we do offer Trijicon night sights for the Walter PPQ model WP01. We have attached the link for your convenience http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=WP01.If we can assist you further please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Dawn Kibler

Noodles
06-04-13, 11:22
Walther P99 Gen1 AS and QA
Walther P99 Gen2 AS and QA
Walther P99 Gen3 AS and QA
Walther P99c Gen1 AS and QA
Walther P99c Gen2 AS and QA
Walther PPQ M1 First Edition (Navy)
Walther PPQ M1 4"
Walther PPQ M2 4"
Walther PPQ M2 4.5" / Navy / Threaded
Walther PPQ M2 5"
Walther PPS
S&W SW99
S&W SW990
S&W SW990L
S&W SW99c
Magnum Research FA9
Canik TP-9

Now take that list and double it because almost all of those came in 9 and 40, and a few 45s in the S&W series....

All take the same sights, and we still can't get a good option for them? The PPQ M2 4" this year I bet outsells any best year for any of the derivatives and predecessors, coupled with that fact that they're basically GLOCK SIGHTS with a slightly different dovetail and a slightly different front notch size... It is a mystery to me why it could possibly take so long to get decent sights.

Take your Glock sight, change the machining SLIGHTLY, and done, market cornered. I appreciate Dawson making a fine set, but they look just a little too wide for me in the rear, not sure.

.... I just realized every Walther P22 version also takes the same sights. Not that anyone is putting nice sights on those... but still!

MrTips
06-04-13, 11:54
Heinie has gone from plans to no plans: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118109

Hopefully 10-8 still follows through.

SmokinSigs357
06-04-13, 12:06
I saw that Vickers was having Wilson make some Glock sights. I inquired on the M4/Vickers forum/PPQ thread as to whether or not he might make some for the PPQ, seeing as how his only complaint about the gun was the sights.

Question never got posted/answered...

Noodles
06-04-13, 13:52
I saw that Vickers was having Wilson make some Glock sights. I inquired on the M4/Vickers forum/PPQ thread as to whether or not he might make some for the PPQ, seeing as how his only complaint about the gun was the sights.

Question never got posted/answered...

Maybe a friendly petition to Wilson ;)

What bugs me is that they would be IDENTICAL parts with the exception of small changes in the dove tail and notch dimensions.

ResIpsa
06-06-13, 12:49
How much of a market do you think there is? The lack of sights has me down on what is otherwise a great gun. I'm tempted to make my own once things calm down at work, and would consider making them for others as well.

Noodles
06-06-13, 12:55
How much of a market do you think there is? The lack of sights has me down on what is otherwise a great gun. I'm tempted to make my own once things calm down at work, and would consider making them for others as well.

Once the M2s start rolling, the people complaining that they don't like the paddle mag release are going to start trying it. Same with the 5", it's going to start showing up in USPSA etc.

I haven't seen anyone buy a PPQ and get on the internet to complain about it. EXCEPT for the mag release and even that's rare.

I have no idea how many PPQ M2s they are going to sell this year, but I bet it's more than S&W sold of the PPQ M1 last year. So, I'd say there is a growing market for good sights.

What pisses me off, it's they are so physically close to Glock sights!

Army Chief
06-06-13, 13:37
Heinie has gone from plans to no plans: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=118109

Hopefully 10-8 still follows through.

Can't really elaborate, but don't give up on Heinie just yet.

AC

MrTips
06-06-13, 14:48
Can't really elaborate, but don't give up on Heinie just yet.

AC

Yeah, that was posted before you offered your assistance. Would be great to see these come out after all.

Army Chief
06-06-13, 14:54
I'm not trying to be cute with that remark, as I really don't know what Richard will choose to do in the end; that said, he will have all that he needs to at least explore the possibilities in relatively short order.

My sense is that he is beginning to come around to the idea that the market is indeed there, but as a victim of his own success, it remains to be seen whether he will be able to allocate the time and resources to put a Walther sight into production. He will at least have the prototyping and measurements down, I'd imagine. Even if a decision is deferred, I still think that puts us closer to a favorable end result.

It's just a waiting game for now.

AC

MrTips
06-06-13, 16:25
I'm not trying to be cute with that remark, as I really don't know what Richard will choose to do in the end; that said, he will have all that he needs to at least explore the possibilities in relatively short order.

My sense is that he is beginning to come around to the idea that the market is indeed there, but as a victim of his own success, it remains to be seen whether he will be able to allocate the time and resources to put a Walther sight into production. He will at least have the prototyping and measurements down, I'd imagine. Even if a decision is deferred, I still think that puts us closer to a favorable end result.

It's just a waiting game for now.

AC

At least you were able to remove a potential obstacle and potentially get things moving again. Many thanks for that. There's a pretty substantial underserved market waiting for some better options.

Hop
06-09-13, 11:54
Bump. I'm just about ready to give up on Dawson making a rear night sight for the PPQ. Even if they did, I'm not sure if their slightly taller sights would work in my Safariland ALS (not exactly made for the PPQ but works great). The ALS holster destroyed the plastic factory front sight. I need something metal that's standard height.

Is anyone here happy with the Trijicon WP01?

Blak1508
06-09-13, 13:57
I shoot low with the WP01's about 1 inch low. My groups at 15 yards are aprox. 1-2.5 and consistently low, so I feel that the sights are too tall. They are made specifically for the P99 but work on the PPQ so it would seem Trijicon has listed them as being for the PPQ even know I do not think they are centered around that gun, they fit perfect but are just not made to the Q's spec. IMO.

My POA and POI is off with them. Had I known any better I'd have waited to buy them, but I bought them last March for the Q and not much is around, things are changing but not much. I have not shot suppressed but I think that the WP01's may be GTG with some cans and the front sight clearing the can. The front sight blade sticks up a bit, this is a theory not an actual experience. Some cans sit higher then others so take what I wrote as a grain of salt about using them with one. I have my paperwork in progress for an osprey and I have heard they clear them, if not I will figure it out.

^ poster .....The PPS sights have a lower profile and should be GTG for you, contact Earl at Earls repair service . Earl is the man ! Lol dry as all hell and makes you warm and fuzzy all over, but he knows his Walthers, be advised though, prices are high

ResIpsa
06-27-13, 06:06
The 10-8 Product News and Stock Status feed lists PPQ sights at 3 weeks:

Scheduled for production and pending final testing:

Sight set for Walther PPQ, with tritium or brass bead front sight - est. 3 weeks

SteveL
12-23-13, 14:40
Just in case anyone's interested I've been sending periodic emails to Trijicon asking about their HD sights for the PPQ. I got a response back today saying they're coming early next year. At least one or two people on the Walther forums have received the same information.

LibertyNeverDies
12-23-13, 14:54
As in 2014 or 2015?

SteveL
12-23-13, 15:16
As in 2014 or 2015?

Since I got the email today I can only guess next year means 2014.

LibertyNeverDies
12-23-13, 15:20
Thanks

HES
12-23-13, 23:20
Come on Ameriglo...you're missing the boat.

R0CKETMAN
12-24-13, 04:31

I put a modified Ameriglo on my PPQ, but they do need to get their act together.

jck397
12-24-13, 10:09

Agreed. I just got an e-mail back from them saying there were no plans. I mentioned interest from both this and waltherforum, so maybe if enough people hassle them we'll get lucky.

CoryCop25
12-24-13, 15:25
Fellas,
I have spoken to Rick on the phone several times about sights for this pistol. I know that they are very busy and it would be at least March until they would be able to cut them. If you are interested, send him an email and let him know you are interested in sights for the PPQ. Ameriglo takes every customer's input seriously.

jck397
12-24-13, 15:30
Fellas,
I have spoken to Rick on the phone several times about sights for this pistol. I know that they are very busy and it would be at least March until they would be able to cut them. If you are interested, send him an email and let him know you are interested in sights for the PPQ. Ameriglo takes every customer's input seriously.

CoryCop:

I'm good for at least 2, maybe 3 sets of 3 dot green/green Operators, and am willing to wait a few months if I knew for sure they were coming. I already sent an e-mail, but would be willing to commit to a group buy if that would help.

SteveL
12-24-13, 15:50
Ameriglo sights would be nice but rather than wait and hope Ameriglo sees the light I'm going to go with the Trijicon HD's since they're going to hit the market first.

SteveL
12-24-13, 16:08
I put a modified Ameriglo on my PPQ, but they do need to get their act together.

I've tried the same thing and it's never given me any issue, but I've never been able to decide if I trust it 100%.

SteveL
12-25-13, 13:24
It appears Ameriglo does want to offer sights for the PPQ but may have too much on their plate right now. Here's the response to an email I sent in to them yesterday. I was shocked to hear back on Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas to you as well. We want to add them but too busy with existing items. Once we add a new machine we will make them, but that's months away.

Rick Callihan

carnage0014
01-05-14, 14:14
They were on trijicon website today as being ready in 8 weeks. Hopefully grant will be getting some of them in stock.

SteveL
01-05-14, 16:17
They were on trijicon website today as being ready in 8 weeks. Hopefully grant will be getting some of them in stock.

This is excellent news. I'll be getting a set as soon as they're available.

Azpred
01-06-14, 08:57
I went to their website. Its looks like the "Bright & Tough" night sights ship in 4 weeks. The "HD"s say 8 weeks. With my tired old eyes, I think the "HD"s are in order I'm afraid.

LibertyNeverDies
01-06-14, 13:49
Does anyone know what means of attachment these sights will use? They are listing HDs for the PPS. I wonder if they are using the sleeve which will fit both the PPS and the PPQ or the detent for the PPQ and the sleeve for the PPS.

Chieftain
01-08-14, 17:43
I just ordered two sets of Trijicon HD yellows for my two PPQ's. They will replace the Mepro's I presently have on them.

I have been running an HD set on one of my Glock 17's, and a couple of my HK P30's (both LEMs). I like them.

Fred

jck397
01-08-14, 17:48
I just ordered two sets of Trijicon HD yellows for my two PPQ's. They will replace the Mepro's I presently have on them.

I have been running an HD set on one of my Glock 17's, and a couple of my HK P30's (both LEMs). I like them.

Fred

Where did you order them from? I thought they were still 8 weeks out.

Maverick07
01-09-14, 23:17
Where did you order them from? I thought they were still 8 weeks out.

On the Trijicon website it appears you may be able to order them once you set up an account... but it also indicates they are still eight weeks out.

R0CKETMAN
01-10-14, 04:19
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/2a65f25d15cd7ebf0da79e8034338678_zpsd8c65e04.jpg

jck397
01-10-14, 14:11
Nice! Do you know how wide the notch is? And are they fixed or adjustable like the factory?

balance
01-10-14, 16:09
And are they fixed or adjustable like the factory?

Judging from the pictures here:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2_hdns.php?mid=20

It looks like the P99/PPQ sights will be click adjustable like the factory polymer sights, while the PPS sights will not be click adjustable.

Personally, I'm going to be going with the PPS sights for my PPQ, since I don't like the spring loaded plunger design.

SteveL
01-11-14, 07:20
So will the PPS sights install in the PPQ like a standard fixed sight, without the spring and pluger?

mig1nc
01-11-14, 12:30
I was able to install PPS sights on my PPQ with an MGW M&P sight tool. So, yeah they are pretty normal.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SteveL
01-11-14, 13:34
Thanks. I'm not going to spend that kind of money for a sight tool, but if I can drift them into the dovetail with a hammer and punch then I might consider going the same route.

mig1nc
01-11-14, 17:59
Yeah, I actually took mine one off with a punch. Then my buddy was like, hey I wonder if it will fit in the sight tool... It was his, not mine :-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SteveL
01-11-14, 18:10
That sounds even better. I would prefer a fixed sight over the adjustable version. I'll let some other folks be the guinea pigs though. Once a few people have tried it and reported good results then I'll give it a try.

C4IGrant
04-21-14, 11:40
On the Trijicon website it appears you may be able to order them once you set up an account... but it also indicates they are still eight weeks out.

We just got some of these in stock!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=WP101

C4

Bolt_Overide
04-21-14, 11:54
Well hell.. its about damn time trijicon...

trio
04-22-14, 00:27
Well hell.. its about damn time trijicon...

Yeah, I ordered a couple of sets, good Lord, I can't remember how long ago, and they showed up at my door Friday....got them installed today...have to go try them out....problem was it was so damn long ago I had forgotten about it and I get the "what is this $300+" charge on the credit card interrogatory from the wife....

Umm...remember...like...in December....when I told you I was going to buy some night sights....

Yeah...she didn't remember....

TMS951
04-23-14, 10:22
I got my Dawson Precision sights yesterday and installed them.

Beautiful set of sights, how ever I have a few complaints and would not buy these again or recommend them to any one else, heres why:

1) the rear, it does not fit, and was clearly for another gun and they decided they fit the PPQ as well, they don't really. The top of the slide has a raised flat with lines down it, this is to high. I had to seriously hammer these things on, I can see where forcing the two together caused material to be removed from either the slide or the sights, I can 't tell. I have installed many glock rears, I understand a tight fit, this was way past that. The set screw in the back is obviously not needed, and I assume would be useful on what ever gun the site was designed for.

2) Rear sight notch is narrower than stock, front is the same width. This makes for slower target acquisition for me, I prefer wider rear.

Wish I had held out for the Trijicons.

I'm sure I 'll be good with what I have, and since I doubt the rear is coming off with any real ease I am literally stuck with them.

jck397
04-23-14, 10:30

Beautiful set of sights, how ever I have a few complaints and would not buy these again or recommend them to any one else, heres why:

1) the rear, it does not fit, and was clearly for another gun and they decided they fit the PPQ as well, they don't really. The top of the slide has a raised flat with lines down it, this is to high. I had to seriously hammer these things on, I can see where forcing the two together caused material to be removed from either the slide or the sights, I can 't tell. I have installed many glock rears, I understand a tight fit, this was way past that. The set screw in the back is obviously not needed, and I assume would be useful on what ever gun the site was designed for.

2) Rear sight notch is narrower than stock, front is the same width. This makes for slower target acquisition for me, I prefer wider rear.

I'm sure I 'll be good with what I have, and since I doubt the rear is coming off with any real ease I am literally stuck with them.

I've been fairly happy with the Dawsons. The included instructions said they might need to be fitted, and that's definitely true--they would barely start in the dovetail without a little filing, and even following the instructions to file until they went in easily to the halfway point, I got a few slivers once I tapped them into place. I agree that the rear notch could be a little wider and the lamps being right up against the notch as opposed to being in the middle takes a little getting used to. I might give the regular Trijicons a try on my next PPQ (not a huge fan of the U-notch), or even the factory night sights since I like the width of the factory rear. I just wish Ameriglo would give us some Operators or Pro Operators...

TMS951
04-23-14, 10:33
I just wish Ameriglo would give us some Operators or Pro Operators...

Tell me about it! I love them, and have them on all five of my Glocks. I emailed them, and got the same response as everyone else "thank you for your interest, but we have no plans for PPQ sights"

C4IGrant
04-23-14, 10:38

All Dawson sights have to be filed to fit in my experience (Glock, M&P, etc). So you made an error by pounding them in.

The notch sizes are clearly written on their website. So if you have a rear notch of .125 and a front sight width of .125, they are going to be a tight sight picture (this is what I run BTW). If you did not want that, then you needed to choose a a larger rear notch (like .145) with the .125 front sights.

https://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/mediums/Z%20-%20Walther%20PPQ%20Optic%20Front.jpg

This is the file needed to properly fit Dawson sights: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/files/60-standard-slot-sight-base-files-prod698.aspx

C4

SteveL
04-23-14, 10:48
We just got some of these in stock!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=WP101

C4

Grant to you have the yellow ones available, or just the orange?

C4IGrant
04-23-14, 10:49
Grant to you have the yellow ones available, or just the orange?

Just the orange.

C4

SteveL
04-23-14, 10:59
Just the orange.

C4

Thanks.

TMS951
04-23-14, 13:13
All Dawson sights have to be filed to fit in my experience (Glock, M&P, etc). So you made an error by pounding them in.

The notch sizes are clearly written on their website. So if you have a rear notch of .125 and a front sight width of .125, they are going to be a tight sight picture (this is what I run BTW). If you did not want that, then you needed to choose a a larger rear notch (like .145) with the .125 front sights.

C4

Unfortunately with the Dawson Tritium sights there is no choice for widths, it is .125F/.145R I knew this going into it, but once on the gun is really when I noticed how little I like this ratio.

As far as filing, admittedly I guess I installed them wrong, but they are securely in now ;) I still would not recommend these sights for this basic reason. All of my Glock Ameriglo rears have pushed in securely with a Glock tool and did not ned filing and did not fall out, nor do they use a set screw.

Does the rear of the Trijicon set need filing?

I would say the quality and finish of the Dawsons is nicer than any other sight I have purchased not that that really matters

C4IGrant
04-23-14, 13:38
Unfortunately with the Dawson Tritium sights there is no choice for widths, it is .125F/.145R I knew this going into it, but once on the gun is really when I noticed how little I like this ratio.

That ratio is actually a good one for speed IMHO (unless you have horrible eye sight). As I said, I run a .125F and a .125R and have zero issues. The bigger this gap, the hard it is to shoot accurate groups at distance.

As far as filing, admittedly I guess I installed them wrong, but they are securely in now ;) I still would not recommend these sights for this basic reason. All of my Glock Ameriglo rears have pushed in securely with a Glock tool and did not ned filing and did not fall out, nor do they use a set screw.

Not recommending the sights because you did not follow the directions is NOT a ding on DP IMHO.

I believe that Mr. Dawson is not a fan of putting that much pressure on sights to install them. I would tend to agree with him and I tend to file ALL sights to fit if I feel they are oversized.

Does the rear of the Trijicon set need filing?

On the PPQ? No idea as I have not installed them yet.

C4

Coal Dragger
04-23-14, 14:12
I wish Heinie was offering sights for the PPQ since I like the black on black sight picture for daytime shooting more so than brightly colored front sights, but I still want night sights. Other than that I can find no compelling reason not to buy a PPQ, I handled a few yesterday and was really impressed with them. I suppose I might wait a while and see if HK ever releases their striker fired pistol, since I really like the grips on a P30 but the trigger is not to my liking. Which is odd because the HK45 has a much better trigger.

B Cart
04-23-14, 17:57
I had the meprolight night sights on my PPQ but I didn't like them. They were super bright (brighter than the trijicons by far), but the gap in the rear was pretty wide, and my pistol impact changed to Sight Image 1 and shot 4" high of POA with them.

I have since moved to an all black 10-8 precision rear sight, and kept the meprolight front night sight. The rear U notch in the 10-8 precision sight is much tighter so it's easier to shoot accurately with, but still very fast. My PPQ shoots amazing with this set up and I like it alot better than the 3-dot setup.

Hop
04-23-14, 22:22
I just got and installed my Dawson night sights a few days ago too. I did file the rear a little to get it to fit. I only had to knock down the black finish. I didn't really take much metal off at all.

The front sight tool was not big enough though. It was nearly impossible to tighten up the front hex screw. I did use Locktite but not the permanent version. I used blue 242. I need to shoot it and check it to make sure the front stays put. Anyone have a guess if the blue will hold up?

heat-ar
04-25-14, 09:26
[QUOTE=TMS951;1901208]Does the rear of the Trijicon set need filing?

I got my HD sights from G&R and trijicon kept the stock type ppq adjustable rear sight set up. So no filing needed on the HD.

HES
04-25-14, 15:30
[QUOTE=TMS951;1901208]Does the rear of the Trijicon set need filing?

I got my HD sights from G&R and trijicon kept the stock type ppq adjustable rear sight. So no filing needed on the HD.
Just to make sure I'm hearing you right, the Trijicon HDs are adjustable like the stock sights?

Aries144
04-25-14, 15:33
ghjkl

heat-ar
04-25-14, 17:15
[QUOTE=heat-ar;1902469]
Just to make sure I'm hearing you right, the Trijicon HDs are adjustable like the stock sights?

Yes the HD rear sight is adjustable like the stock ppq. You take the adjuster screw out of the stock ppq rear sight and put it in the new HD rear sight.

SteveL
04-28-14, 14:49
Grant are you expecting to have any of the yellow ones available in the near future?

C4IGrant
04-28-14, 15:51
Grant are you expecting to have any of the yellow ones available in the near future?

We generally never stock the yellow version of the HD sights (as almost no one buys them).

C4

bzdog
04-28-14, 16:04
Interesting. I don't know about the HDs, but I played around a bit and found hiviz yellow front and hiviz orange rears work best for me. I find the yellow is more noticeable and I can index faster this way.

I first tried it the other way round and the orange wasn't as good up front.

Unfortunately it's a pain to paint the PPQ sights since the dots are flush.

-john

Noodles
04-28-14, 16:24
So... After months of waiting for these to come up... I got a set from Grant.

I get this :\
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKHdzfZ8ToA

Grant, I'm not sure if there is anything you can do or not. Appears you are out of stock now. Trijicon said they had no idea who you were as a dealer and overall didn't give the greatest impression they cared about anything. Said it would be 4-6 weeks to replace the front sight. Unless I was a cop then it would be done tomorrow (I have my own thoughts about this).

I have a class coming up I wanted these for, but it seems like I'll be sticking with 10-8. I like the 10-8 a ton better so far, but wanted a high vis front. Maybe Ameriglo will get on their game someday. I'm not sure I should fill out a return on Trijicon's support sight, or see if I can get a machinist to cut them down to .180" tall that way they actually would work with a 10-8 rear.

ScottsBad
04-28-14, 19:36
I've got two PPQ M2s. I don't think night sights are super useful, but I went ahead and bought two sets of Trijicon greens from Cops+. The reasons is two fold. First, I don't like plastic sights. Second, under very limited circumstances it could be useful to have night sights. But the truth is that I believe a weapon light is much more effective and I'm still trying to find the right one for my pistols.

JMHO

ScottsBad
04-28-14, 19:36

C4IGrant
04-29-14, 08:12
So... After months of waiting for these to come up... I got a set from Grant.

I get this :\
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKHdzfZ8ToA

Grant, I'm not sure if there is anything you can do or not. Appears you are out of stock now. Trijicon said they had no idea who you were as a dealer and overall didn't give the greatest impression they cared about anything. Said it would be 4-6 weeks to replace the front sight. Unless I was a cop then it would be done tomorrow (I have my own thoughts about this).

I have a class coming up I wanted these for, but it seems like I'll be sticking with 10-8. I like the 10-8 a ton better so far, but wanted a high vis front. Maybe Ameriglo will get on their game someday. I'm not sure I should fill out a return on Trijicon's support sight, or see if I can get a machinist to cut them down to .180" tall that way they actually would work with a 10-8 rear.

Well that is odd. Your the first one I have seen like this. I am sure you tightened down the screw right?

When you call Trijicon, you are dealing with a CS person who probably isn't even sure about all the product they make so I am not surprised they don't know who we are. Quick check on their website reveals that we are an LE/Mil Distributor though. :)

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/dealers/dealer_results.php?stateID=36

C4

Noodles
04-29-14, 10:48
Yes, I am absolutely certain I tighten the nut down correctly :) I'm a part time machinist, mostly CNC, and spend years as a automotive tech. I know how to build things. My 10-8 fronts, Dawson fronts, other trijicon fronts, meprolights, Walther steel fronts, and the XS big dot - ALL fit perfectly fine in my two PPQs (Have I mentioned I've had just about every sight available for PPQ?). The trijicons are the only ones with wobble. It's not a slight fitment issue. It's about .010" loose.

I haven't looked at it close enough yet to see if the screw isn't tapped long enough or the protruding tab that fits into the slide is too long (makes a similar issue) or if the base where the sight and top of the slide touch is milled to the wrong depth... But I can tell it's wrong. I might get some calipers out later and really look at it. But I kinda don't ****ing care. I paid (imo a little too much) for night sights that (imo aren't really as nice as the 10-8 set) and I'd just like them to fit - and if they don't fit, a turn-around faster than a month and a half from a giant shop like trijicon should be possible. I've driven by their place in Wixom, three shifts, 24hr security, yet it's taken them nearly 6 months to ship the first batch of PPQ sights they made one run and are out of stock everywhere - seems like I might want to make my next purchase from a company that gives a shit.

Sent another PM Grant.

C4IGrant
04-29-14, 11:08
Yes, I am absolutely certain I tighten the nut down correctly :) I'm a part time machinist, mostly CNC, and spend years as a automotive tech. I know how to build things. My 10-8 fronts, Dawson fronts, other trijicon fronts, meprolights, Walther steel fronts, and the XS big dot - ALL fit perfectly fine in my two PPQs (Have I mentioned I've had just about every sight available for PPQ?). The trijicons are the only ones with wobble. It's not a slight fitment issue. It's about .010" loose.

I deal with a lot of folks that shouldn't be allowed to own a screw driver so I have to ask the obvious questions.

We have seen bad sights come out of just about every manufacturer there is. Trijicon is no different.

I haven't looked at it close enough yet to see if the screw isn't tapped long enough or the protruding tab that fits into the slide is too long (makes a similar issue) or if the base where the sight and top of the slide touch is milled to the wrong depth... But I can tell it's wrong. I might get some calipers out later and really look at it. But I kinda don't ****ing care. I paid (imo a little too much) for night sights that (imo aren't really as nice as the 10-8 set) and I'd just like them to fit - and if they don't fit, a turn-around faster than a month and a half from a giant shop like trijicon should be possible. I've driven by their place in Wixom, three shifts, 24hr security, yet it's taken them nearly 6 months to ship the first batch of PPQ sights they made one run and are out of stock everywhere - seems like I might want to make my next purchase from a company that gives a shit.

Sent another PM Grant.

The CS Rep you most likely talked to gave you the standard answer for time. My guess is that it will be faster than the time they gave you.

From what I know about sights, they are a HUGE PITA to make. Trijicon makes a lot of them in a lot of different configs and does everything in batches. So that is why certain models can be out for months at a time.

C4

B Cart
04-29-14, 11:13
I like the 10-8 a ton better so far, but wanted a high vis front. Maybe Ameriglo will get on their game someday. I'm not sure I should fill out a return on Trijicon's support sight, or see if I can get a machinist to cut them down to .180" tall that way they actually would work with a 10-8 rear.

I use the 10-8 rear sight for my PPQ with a Meprolight night sight front, and it works perfect. The Meprolight front sight is super bright (far brighter than the trijicon I had), and it lines up perfect with the 10-8 rear sight. Might be worth looking at if you want a bright front sight from someone other than Trijicon

Noodles
04-29-14, 13:44
I use the 10-8 rear sight for my PPQ with a Meprolight night sight front, and it works perfect. The Meprolight front sight is super bright (far brighter than the trijicon I had), and it lines up perfect with the 10-8 rear sight. Might be worth looking at if you want a bright front sight from someone other than Trijicon

Tried meps. I want a high vis front. So fiber has been it, the 10-8 brass is good for twilight where fiber starts to drop out. Tritium is OK but not as required as a white light for me.

I want a trijicon HD or Ameriglo. The trijicon rear is definitely not as good as the 10-8, it's kinda sharp as well as the rear tritium viles/holes being distracting. I know what I want, but it seems no one makes it yet. I'll wait until Trijicon fixes their mess up and then I'll see what I can do next.

I'm to the point I'm considering cutting a .220-.240 ameriglo down to .180 and cutting the PPQ notch in as I do so. It makes no sense for me to do that to the HD's I have so, still kicking options around.

I will say, vs other options, like Ameriglo specifically, the Trijicons are made better. They aren't as bright a paint (slightly more pale orange than ameriglo red-orange) but there is a clear epoxy over the triji that protects it. Nice feature.

Sam
04-29-14, 13:56
Six pages of discussions about a night sight. I hope I'm not taking money out of anyone's pocket but I don't see the excitement over the Trijicon HD. Get something, as long as you have a night sight, a flashlight or weaponlight, and even better a laser, you're good to go for night fighting.

In last weekend Hackathorn pistol class, during the night shoot, I went as low tech as possible. I used an old school Surefire 6P flashlight (the 60 lumens incandescent, circa 2000), Walther PPQ with Trijicon standard tritium front sight only, in a concealed holster. No laser, no weapon light. Basically, the set up that I use when I go to Walmart or McDonald's. While my target was not as impressive as if I had a Crimson Trace and weaponlight, my target had good hits, the front tritium was more than adequately visible, the point of aim/point of impact was dead one.

Sometimes you can overthink the solution.

vereceleritas
04-30-14, 16:22
Got my sights in from Grant today and installed them immediately. No issues with mine. These replaced the standard Trijicon three dot bright and tough night sights. I've also had the 10-8 rear. Hopefully, I'll be able to confirm zero tomorrow so I can use these in my weekly club level IDPA match on Monday night.

My PPQ pulls triple duty as my EDC, night stand gun, and competition pistol. Trijicon HD's are my favorite sites because they offer the best compromise for all of these uses. A fiber optic front with blacked out rear is the fastest and most precise setup for competition but no tritium makes it a no go for home defense. Standard three dot night sights are fine for defense but are slow to acquire, especially with the white outline around the rear tritium lamps. The combination of high visibility front sight blade, serrated U-notch rear and tritium all around without the white outlines makes the Trijicon HD's worth it to me. These are just my opinions from my experiences. YMMV of course. I'm just happy that we're getting more aftermarket support for the PPQ.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7359/14073104321_6aa1816155_n.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7345/14073111592_9c1ba83605_n.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7203/14053185806_e219200815_n.jpg