PDA

View Full Version : Keep 2 or none

txbirddog
01-14-12, 21:40
I have 3 AR's and have been thinking, do I keep one and have another as a backup or sell all 3 and buy a "good" one. Purpose would be shooter, SHTF, zombie (:D) whatever lifetime AR. :confused: :confused: :confused:

What I have are a M&P, LMT Defender 2000 and a CMMG. All are M4 config. Optics are Aimpoint M4 and Eotech 512.

Contemplating DD or BCM or ? with a Trijicon.

Opinions with reasons, if you would.

Thanks for your input.

Shiz
01-14-12, 21:57
Hey, first I want to sorta fill ya in on this forum. Have a thick skin, and read lots, post little at first. It is not your average gun forum, it is a place where military/LE, industry professionals, and other shooters come. Your answers will be short, no shitter answers, and many have gotten their feelings hurt and left. Your answers will be no BS , no coddling people who bought crap, or cannot clear their mental malfunctions.

To me, a site like this is a breath of fresh air. Check your ego at the door, don't take things personally and learn LOTS.

Here is a quick answer to your question.

LMT is top of the line, keep that sucker. Practice with it...Take classes. learn to use it well!!!

You will discover what you like and don't after you have put a few rounds down range in classes.

If it was me, I would sell the M&P and the DPMS and get a BCM lightweight middy 14.5 or 16, and a GOOD optic.

Why do I like the BCM middy? Softer recoil impulse, at least in my opinion...especially the 14.5.

saddlerocker
01-14-12, 22:10
If it were me id keep the LMT and do 1 of 2 things with the other 2....

Either keep the M&P as a backup and sell the CMMG to fund any upgrades/ammo/classes ect...
OR
Sell the M&P and the CMMG, as the previous poster said, to fund another good rifle in the configuration you want.

I would not sell them all to get 1 great rifle. You already have one good rifle, and its always a good idea to have a backup.

Mark82ndABN
01-14-12, 22:18
Given what you have, I would keep the LMT and sell the M&P and CMMG. Get a Colt or BCM as a second (the LMT would be the back up in my opinion). Having two dependable ARs makes a lot more sense than one. Definitely take some classes if you have not already.

txbirddog
01-14-12, 22:23
Hey, first I want to sorta fill ya in on this forum. Have a thick skin, and read lots, post little at first. It is not your average gun forum, it is a place where military/LE, industry professionals, and other shooters come. Your answers will be short, no shitter answers, and many have gotten their feelings hurt and left. Your answers will be no BS , no coddling people who bought crap, or cannot clear their mental malfunctions.

To me, a site like this is a breath of fresh air. Check your ego at the door, don't take things personally and learn LOTS.

Here is a quick answer to your question.

LMT is top of the line, keep that sucker. Practice with it...Take classes. learn to use it well!!!

You will discover what you like and don't after you have put a few rounds down range in classes.

If it was me, I would sell the M&P and the DPMS and get a BCM lightweight middy 14.5 or 16, and a GOOD optic.

Why do I like the BCM middy? Softer recoil impulse, at least in my opinion...especially the 14.5.

Thanks. Been watching and haven't seen too many recommending these 3 very often so that was why I thought about consolidating.

Definately don't have an ego as I know just a little about the AR platform and appreciate all input as there seems to be a LOT of knowledge so hope to cut my learning curve. (and save my pocketbook a little)

DC3
01-15-12, 01:39
Keep one and buy an AK.

BCmJUnKie
01-15-12, 01:47
Search.

There is a button at the top of the page thAt does most of the work for you.

It seems like you would have picked up a thing or two after a year.

It takes a matter of about a week to figure out the rifles that are recommended here and you will get the best results using those particular carbines.

txbirddog
01-15-12, 03:57
Search.

There is a button at the top of the page thAt does most of the work for you.

It seems like you would have picked up a thing or two after a year.

It takes a matter of about a week to figure out the rifles that are recommended here and you will get the best results using those particular carbines.

Did searches and while they brought up the different brands, I did not see a thread to my particular question as whether to consolidate or to eliminate or start over.

txbirddog
01-15-12, 03:59
If it were me id keep the LMT and do 1 of 2 things with the other 2....

Either keep the M&P as a backup and sell the CMMG to fund any upgrades/ammo/classes ect...
OR
Sell the M&P and the CMMG, as the previous poster said, to fund another good rifle in the configuration you want.

I would not sell them all to get 1 great rifle. You already have one good rifle, and its always a good idea to have a backup.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Ronin64
01-15-12, 04:23
Put the Aimpoint M4 on the LMT and you have your lifetime zombie gun. Then sell one of the other two that you don't like and keep one of them for a backup.

thegreatscotsman
01-15-12, 05:46
OP, I am in a similar situation to yours, keep the LMT, sell the M&P and CMMG. I myself will have atleast two rifles with plenty of mags and lots of ammo.

goodoleboy
01-15-12, 07:13
Keep the LMT, and either sell both to invest in ammo and classes, or, use the money and invest in a BCM middy. The Aimpoint is a great optic, the EOTech gets less stellar reviews. I would go for the middy because the carbine-length gas systems in a 16 in. carbine places the gas port a little further back in the bbl., which allows pressure to build up longer, resulting in a sharper recoil impulse than you would get with a 14.5" carbine with a carbine-length system, 16" middy, or a standard 20" rifle.

Any left-over money needs to be invested in classes, mags, or ammo. As you get more educated on your weapon and its deployment, select your accessories accordingly.

Horsehide
01-15-12, 08:18
I would also keep the LMT, sell the other two. From there, I would add a quality FA BCG and a H buffer (LMT, Colt, BCM... you get the picture). The Aimpoint and Eotech are both "zombie capable" (make sure you are using a good mount for them: no ARMS or airsoft crap).
Use therest of the cash to get a spare upper, ammo, training or whatever else tickles your fancy.

mark5pt56
01-15-12, 08:39
If only wanting two, pick your configuration and set two up identical. If for some reason you need a second set up and don't want to change optics, etc, set the third up for that or just the upper.. For instance you want a lightweight carbine with a T1 in 5.56 and want to hunt with a 6.8 or 300 BLK, etc, have two set up, one as a back up and the third carbine or upper for the hunting.

chavez_e_chavez
01-15-12, 08:42
Keep the Lewis , sell the other 2..Buy a BCM etc, there are plenty of Killer Deals on the Equipment exchange!!! Youll want to keep two, then add 1 more then another and another!!! Or keep the Lewis and buy a quality optic...The choice is yours

ralph
01-15-12, 08:50
Not much else to add, keep the LMT sell the other two,When you're ready to buy, check out G&R Tactical (site sponser) Right now, Grant has 2 models of NEW Colt carbines (6720,6920) for under $1000. At those prices, you cannot go wrong.And if possible, training..

devinsdad
01-15-12, 10:33
Are any of the 3 giving you any problems? Is one more or less accurate than the others? I'd drop whichever gives the poorest performance.

rob_s
01-15-12, 10:43
I gather from your screen name that you're in Texas...

I would suggest keeping the LMT and the Aimpoint and selling the rest. However with the funds I'd suggest an SBR outfitted as close to the same as your LMT as possible. If your LMT is "stock" M4 config with Aimpoint M4 I'd look to pick up a Colt 6933 and install an Aimpoint H-1. If you make changes to grip, stock, or handguard on one make the same or similar changes to the other. You'll find that they are close enough to 1:1 that changing between them will be virtually seamless but it will give you a little more, or different, capability across the two. I'm going to assume stock GI trigger in the LMT now but if you have a different safety or trigger on the LMT, put the same thing on the 6933.

That's what I did with two carbines (http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/11801.html) and believe it's a very successful way of having 2 without being 100% redundant.

*caveat...
due to the ridiculous transfer times that some have been reporting, I'd be inclined to phase this process. Sell whichever of the other two is least reliable, or used, now. Use those funds to start the process on the 6933, and supplement a bit from savings or whatever. When the 6933 transfer is complete sell the other gun, and the Eotech, replenish funds, and purchase the necessary parts to make it identical to the LMT as well as the Aimpoint H-1 and mount.

LPMan59
01-15-12, 12:26
my advice would be to buy what you really want.

if the rifles you have now don't scratch the itch, sell 'em and get what does. I would rather have one or two rifles that thrill me to own and shoot that a safe full of stuff that was a "good deal" or "good enough".

duece71
01-15-12, 12:31
The Zombies are going to get you anyway. LMT is a keeper, S&W as a back up. See if you can get a decent price for the CMMG (doubt it) and go from there. FWIW.

seb5
01-15-12, 14:26
The LMT is a first class weapon. Sell the CMMG and set up the S&W and LMT similarly. In my experience the S&W is a step above the Bushies, RRA's, CMMG, etc. but below the KAC, Noveske, Colt, BCM, LMT, and DD. After that shoot a lot and take a few classes.

txbirddog
01-15-12, 15:05
Are any of the 3 giving you any problems? Is one more or less accurate than the others? I'd drop whichever gives the poorest performance.

my advice would be to buy what you really want.

if the rifles you have now don't scratch the itch, sell 'em and get what does. I would rather have one or two rifles that thrill me to own and shoot that a safe full of stuff that was a "good deal" or "good enough".

All are shooting fine,,,,just wanting to make a little room in the safe and I am not one to just "have" guns and not shoot them. I now have the 2 optics and not as happy with the Eotech as the Aimpoint, don't have a reason as both are performing perfectly. Maybe it is an itch that I need to scratch, but with funds, I don't want to be wasteful as I have been in the past.

Took my first course last year with plans for at least one more this year. Range time is usually one Saturday a month due to work and grandparenting duties. :D

I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.