PDA

View Full Version : Glock 32 converting to 9mm

roboa89
01-14-12, 22:35
Today at the Indy 1500 gun and knife show I purchased a well used glock 32 od for $399:D. My goal is to change everything over needed to have this thing run 9mm reliably, as it will become a back up to my glock 19 I already own. From what I have read so far, many recommend replacing the ejector, extractor, and the barrel. Is this the case? Lastly, what all night sights do you recommend? The ones installed now are tritium, but are very dim and the front sight is loose.

roboa89
01-14-12, 23:00

rathos
01-15-12, 07:45
I like the ameriglo I dot or I dot pro, mainly because I despise 3 dot sights. Just remember to add a bit of lock tite to the front sight when you install it, that will keep them from coming loose like yours currently is.

I can't really give much advise for the rest of it.

G34
01-15-12, 08:04
I know nothing about .357 to 9mm conversion, but I've seen enough .40 (same case diameter on the end that counts) to 9mm conversions that simply switched the barrel and were still completely reliable. That being said, its pretty inexpensive and simple to switch the extractor so that might be worth your time to do so as you never know if your conversion is going to be the one that just won't work.

Gunfixr
01-15-12, 08:13
People do, and say it works reliably, but it shouldn't be reliable, so I personally probably wouldn't use it for protection.
Since the case head size of the .357Sig/40S&W is larger than that of 9mm, the breechface of the slide is cut larger. As the case is extracted from the chamber, it normally is held tight against the far side of the breechface by the extractor, making sure it does not move around any, and is firmly punched out by the ejector. This would not be the case with a 9mm round on a 357/40 breechface. You're kind of depending on luck, or "the force" or something for it to stay in place long enough to get ejected.
Apparently this is what happens the vast majority of the time. Seems to me though, you're playing a lottery.
Just my .02, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

StrikerFired
01-15-12, 08:21
I run a G22 converted to 9mm. I just use the Lone Wolf Conversion Barrel and change over to 9mm mags. It has run several IDPA matches and a couple of pistol classes where the round counts were over the 500 mark with no real issues. That being said, I still wouldn't carry the converted pistol for carry because of the above mentioned case size vs. physical differences in the breech face and extractor/ejector issues. I use it just to have a backup pistol at classes/matches.

Nephrology
01-15-12, 09:15
I have to agree with what others have said. I suppose you could buy a new slide and barrel and trigger housing if you wanted it to be a Glock 19 for real.

Otherwise if I was in your shoes, I would convert it to .40 if you wanted a backup. More common and less pricey than .357SIG and the conversion is 100% reliable with just a barrel change.

roboa89
01-15-12, 11:07
Well it is going to just be a back up, as I already have an actual glock 19 that I carry (the black one in the last picture). I have thought about buying a complete slide assembly and new ejector.

Nephrology
01-15-12, 14:19
Well it is going to just be a back up, as I already have an actual glock 19 that I carry (the black one in the last picture). I have thought about buying a complete slide assembly and new ejector.

From checking prices online, that will probably run you almost as much as you paid for the G32 to begin with.

I suggest converting it to .40 and not looking back. If you want to be able to practice with it, a conversion barrel to 9mm will work for range settings but I would not carry it with a 9mm conversion barrel.

roboa89
01-15-12, 15:36
I never gave it any real consideration about getting a barrel chambered for .40 s&w, thinking now it does make sense. I just never was fond of .357 sig because it is expensive to shoot. I do love the od frame color and I was surprised how cheap it was, gunbroker is ridiculously expensive.

ST911
01-15-12, 17:26
Conversions are best for folks who don't need absolute reliability, and/or have the time to experiment, diagnose, tweak, etc.

Best to buy OEM in the caliber you want.

The exception would be converting many 357 SIGs to 40SW, or vice versa. Those have a much higher rate of success.

novaDAK
01-16-12, 05:42
From checking prices online, that will probably run you almost as much as you paid for the G32 to begin with.

I suggest converting it to .40 and not looking back. If you want to be able to practice with it, a conversion barrel to 9mm will work for range settings but I would not carry it with a 9mm conversion barrel.

I agree. Use a factory G23 .40 barrel and it will have Glock reliability.

rockmyglock
03-13-12, 21:44
Kind of a dead thread, found it by searching for 9mm conversion reliabilty.

Anywho, I also have an OD 32 and run TruGlo TFO's. The fiber is bright during the day and the tritium is bright at night. Yellow rear/green front is my preffered site.