PDA

View Full Version : Subzero's "Fish Scale" M & P grip enhancement

mark5pt56
12-13-07, 10:25
Well, I finally got to the pics. Back at the Steel Challenge, Subzero, Dinger and I squaded together. During the match we talked about the M&P's and the grip mods. Subzero showed his handy work off and he volunteered to give mine a try. Since I will have it next to my skin in the summer, I asked him to just do the right side of the medium insert. He also slimmed down a large and did the whole grip. The large now has the same width as the medium but still has the longer front to back dimensions.

Overall, I like the work, it gives amuch better grip and doesn't seem to shift during recoil. I haven't tried the large as much but will be soon.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_2501.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_2502.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_2503.jpg

fivepointoh
12-13-07, 11:56
Nice.

You guys are making me want an M&P more and more.

M4arc
12-13-07, 12:40
WOW!

Those look awesome! He was suppose to do a small for me to try so I might need to call him and find out what is up :D

That half-half one looks perfect for CCW.

C4IGrant
12-13-07, 13:36
Very nice!

C4

Robb Jensen
12-13-07, 13:47
Pretty sweet!

They'll even be USPSA Production legal in 2008.

FYI guys, USPSA bought the Steel Challenge and next summer there will be a Steel Challenge match at Fredericksburg VA ! :D

subzero
12-13-07, 15:06
Mark, I'm really glad you like it. Thinning the big grips down is still a work in progress, but i think it's a good intermediary step until some aftermarket supplier comes out with differently shaped (and by that I mean flat) backstraps.

Marc, I've got yours sitting right on the bench waiting for you to pick it up! I did the whole thing but if you only want half I can do another one or do one that you give me. I have a ton of extras standing by waiting to be made into grippy grips.

I really like the fishscale vs sharkskin or stippling because it's far less time intensive, it goes on easy, it's grippy as hell and I think it has a good look. Sharkskin kinda looks messy and doesn't seem much better than grip tape, IMHO. Fishscaling gives big recesses kind of like Gunner grips for 1911s, plenty of volume for your hand to fill in and get a good grip.

Anyone who is interested, please feel free to give me a shout.

M4arc
12-13-07, 17:04
Subzero,

I should have some free time around the holidays Let's meet up @ Lafayette and put some rounds down range.

VA_Dinger
12-13-07, 19:24
Subzero's handy work is impressive to say the least.

I need to pick up one of his back straps next time we meet up.

His texturing is as nice as anybodies.

Noff
12-13-07, 20:07
Mark, I'm really glad you like it. Thinning the big grips down is still a work in progress, but i think it's a good intermediary step until some aftermarket supplier comes out with differently shaped (and by that I mean flat) backstraps.

If M&Ps were available like that, I'd seriously consider buying one.

M4arc
12-13-07, 20:08
If M&Ps were available like that, I'd seriously consider buying one.

Why not buy one and have Subzero hook you up with a backstrap? :D

JohnN
12-18-07, 23:16
Just received a small backstrap in Subzero's Fish Scale pattern and I like the feel of it; not too rough but with enough texture to lock your hand in during recoil. Well done, thanks.

chris914
12-22-07, 07:01
I guess I am going to have to get him to do a couple of each for my 45 and new 9. :D

DrMark
12-22-07, 09:42
I guess I am going to have to get him to do a couple of each for my 45 and new 9. :D
You got a new M&P45?!? :eek:

;)

I forgot about this thread... I got to fire a few rounds through an M&P with one of the subzero backstraps. Very nice! Increased grippiness, but not harsh on the hands.

chris914
12-25-07, 06:43
I think I was the first kid on my block to have a M&P 45. If you were out shooting with the guys then you probably shot it. Tom had it when I was out on the ship. :D I did just get a new 9 though.

DrMark
12-25-07, 07:53
I think I was the first kid on my block to have a M&P 45. If you were out shooting with the guys then you probably shot it. Tom had it when I was out on the ship.

Yep, I shot it a bit.

I felt guilty at first, since Tom said you had not even shot it yet. It shot so nice, however, that I got over the guilt.

:)

mark5pt56
12-25-07, 12:50
Yep, I shot it a bit.

I felt guilty at first, since Tom said you had not even shot it yet. It shot so nice, however, that I got over the guilt.

:)

Was that the one M4arc was licking?

DrMark
12-25-07, 23:29
Was that the one M4arc was licking?
Yeah, but that was before he dropped it on the concrete floor. :eek:

chris914
12-26-07, 04:53
I guess we could change the tag line to a varitation of the old Timex tag, "It takes a licking, from a short bald guy, and keeps on ticking". :D
I have changed out the rear sight since my return. I really like the Burwell sight picture. I will have to see how well I like it. The new 9 has factory night sights and my just stay that way. That being said, I guess I am going to have to get a new 9 to shoot USPSA with.

subzero
12-26-07, 08:17
A half stippled Small I whipped up after SOMEONE said the fish scales was a little too aggressive.

http://i9.tinypic.com/73469vc.jpg

M4arc
12-26-07, 10:36
A half stippled Small I whipped up after SOMEONE said the fish scales was a little too aggressive.

http://i9.tinypic.com/73469vc.jpg

I didn't say the fish scales were too aggressive...I just didn't want them rubbing up against my delicate love handles!