PDA

View Full Version : shooting paper targets vs random

anthony1
01-15-12, 03:02
I've noticed l'm better at hitting cans, bottles, plates/whatever. l'm no pistol expert by any means. However, for example if you put a row of cans at say 10yds l feel confident l could hit all of them.

Now if l took a paper target, that the center x area of was the same size as the can, l would probably put a couple shots outside of the center x area at the same distance.

Make any sense? I'm also better at shooting outside than at an indoor range.

rob_s
01-15-12, 07:17
Indoor range lighting tends to suck pretty bad, ad if you're shooting paper indoors and cans outdoors I would chalk it up to that to a large extent.

You might also want to check your targets and see if the can really is the size that you think it is relative to the target, and understand that the can, in any case, is taller than it is wide and therefore allowing more slop.

For example, if the can's you're shooting are 4" wide by 8" tall, and you're shooting a target with a 3" bullseye you have an extra 1/2" of slop on either side but 2.5" of slop top and bottom.

hunt_ak
01-15-12, 07:32
Could it also be a case of 'aim small, miss small'? Just a thought...

tb-av
01-15-12, 09:44
Go to the office supply store and buy a pack of those little 3/4" or 1" sticky dots.

Put them on the X of your paper target. Your groups will get much smaller if you actually aim at the dot. Yellow dots are hard to see btw. The fluorescent pink or whatever it's called works really well.