PDA

View Full Version : KAC P/N 99051 too tall, won't zero????!!!!

ASH556
01-15-12, 17:39
I picked up a KAC 99051 from Belmont awhile back when he switched his to the newe FDE ones. I just now got around to zeroing them (I mounted, lined up as best I could with my T1 awhile back). The trouble is, I can't get it to zero. The FSP is bottomed out against the housing and it's still 4" low. Anyone had this happen? Anyone know what's up? Belmont?

ETA I didn't post Belmont's name to bash him. Just letting folks know it's a legit sight froma legit guy, not some potential airsoft knockoff.

The only think I could think is that I have it on the front of a 14" rail, so maybe the longer radius is messing something up, but I had no problem zeroing the KAC Micro front I had on there before. Below you will see two targets. The one that's zeroed is my T-1. The one where all the shots are low is with irons. Distance is 35 yds because that's the max @ my local indoor range. I had my 600M rear on the 200M setting at first. Then, I changed it to the "Z" setting and put the target at 25yds. Thats the group that's a little higher and in the black, but still way low.

Please help!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/01152012327.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/01152012326.jpg

buckjay
01-15-12, 19:29
For someone who's been around for two years I'd hope you knew the answer to this already, considering how often these kind of posts are made.

How about contacting the manufacturer?

ASH556
01-15-12, 19:53
For someone who's been around for two years I'd hope you knew the answer to this already, considering how often these kind of posts are made.

How about contacting the manufacturer?

On a 2nd hand purchase, I'm not sure what KAC's position would be. I was hoping to maybe hear some insight from other users. Maybe I'm not the only who's experienced this. Maybe I'm missing something.

ohiorifleman
01-16-12, 07:08
You sure it is the 99051 or not the taller one they list on their site that is identical? Sounds like a gas block height sight mounted on a rail.
The only other thing I can think of is what is your rear sight? Is it still a micro- I am not real familiar with KAC products but I would assume they would have to be matched?

JSantoro
01-16-12, 07:49
Sure, contact KAC to absolutely ensure that there's nothing odd about the configuration, however I doubt that it's the sight...

This is a symptom in cases where the railed forearm is mounted with a slight upward cant.

Take everything off of the top rail, from rear to front, get a 4' level or similar straightedge and slap it along the top. Something NOT a freaking 2x4 from a lumber pile, like one of my less-than-bright friends did, unless (like him, the nincompoop) one thinks a medium subject to warping, cupping, and bowing is a good idea. I sure don't.

Look for a gap between rail and the straightedge where the forearm joins with the upper receiver.

I've had this happen to me, with a Troy 10" MRF rail. A gap of 1/8" was enough to bottom out my front sight by 4.5" @ 50yd. A simple re-installation/adjustment, and all was well in the kingdom.

And, I've seen it with 4 other weapons, wearing rails of different manufacturers. Straight-up installation problem that, once corrected, put the front sights in the correct plane. Worth a look-see.

ASH556
01-20-12, 14:32
I took JSantoro's advice and removed everything from the top rail and checked it for level/square. It's perfect:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/01192012331.jpg

I then re-installed everything taking extra care to ensure good rail contact, etc:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/01192012333.jpg

Same problem.

Belmont has gracioulsy offered for me to send the sight back to him for evaluation on his uppers. I sent it out to him today.

Is there anything to the thought that there's just too long a radius between the sights?

RD62
01-20-12, 15:47
I would think the sight being further out might have the opposite effect causing it to possibly shoot high but I've never heard of it.

I've been wrong before though (or so my wife tells. )

Belmont31R
01-20-12, 15:59
You sure it is the 99051 or not the taller one they list on their site that is identical? Sounds like a gas block height sight mounted on a rail.
The only other thing I can think of is what is your rear sight? Is it still a micro- I am not real familiar with KAC products but I would assume they would have to be matched?

No they are not identical, and the SR25 gas block mount won't fit on standard rail.

At any rate Im going to mount this on both of my KAC guns and see what it does. I didn't have any issues with it before but no longer have the particular upper it was on.

ASH556
03-19-12, 10:57
For an update to the situation, the sight worked fine on 3 of Belmont's guns. He sent it back to me, and I mounted it up...same issue. So, I sent the upper with the sights on it back to DD. They kept it for about 2 weeks and sent it back with a test target. It seems to be GTG now. I took it out to an indoor 25yd range this weekend and was able with the 25yd "Z" setting on the rear sight and with the FSP in it's lowest setting to get rounds in the center of the bull. There is some finish wear on the DD rail bolts, so I'm guessing the pulled the barrel and in looking at it, maybe even replaced it. Tough to tell as everything came back coated in oil.

Bottom line, sights are zeroed and life is good!

FLHXSG
03-19-12, 11:47
What did DD do to fix it. Did they shorten the front sight post?

kartoffel
03-19-12, 12:33
What did DD do to fix it. Did they shorten the front sight post?

Right. Why would Daniel Defense fix your gun, send it back to you, but refuse to tell you what they did? Seems kind of mysterious. If I were the owner of that gun, I'd expect the manufacturer to give at least a brief rundown of what they did to your property while it was in their hands.

ASH556
03-19-12, 13:05
Right. Why would Daniel Defense fix your gun, send it back to you, but refuse to tell you what they did? Seems kind of mysterious. If I were the owner of that gun, I'd expect the manufacturer to give at least a brief rundown of what they did to your property while it was in their hands.

I hoped so, it didn't happen. I'm not gonna push it, as it's not worth my time. I can tell you that DD did not modify the sight. My guess is there was some slight mis-alignment on the barrel extension of the previous barrel, since I pretty much eliminated all other possible issues prior to sending them the upper.

It works, I'm happy, life is good.

KevinB
08-04-12, 12:55
hmmm,

This is weird. Can you do me a favor and email me a picture of the sight - and if you can take out the front sight post - if you can get me measurements on that?

Merle
08-04-12, 19:34
Maybe the barrel was somehow canted a c-hair in the upper?