PDA

View Full Version : Troy Sights

K&R
12-13-07, 18:03
Has anyone gotten any feedback from Troy about the issues with the ball detent problem they been having?
I was just getting ready to buy a set when I read rob's thread about the problem he had with his.

C4IGrant
12-13-07, 18:22
Has anyone gotten any feedback from Troy about the issues with the ball detent problem they been having?
I was just getting ready to buy a set when I read rob's thread about the problem he had with his.

I actually don't think it is a problem. What I think happened is that they had a bad batch get out.

Go ahead and buy them.

C4

Submariner
12-13-07, 18:39
Go ahead and buy them.

Spoken like a true salesman!:D

Harv
12-13-07, 18:43
Buy them.. Rob is just unlucky.....don't use him as your yardstick....

There are thousands of them on guns and in the field that are fine...(and I own a PRI rear folder...;) )

K&R
12-13-07, 21:32
I think I'll end up buying the GG&G spring actuated sights because, I will be mounting the front sight onto a YHM gas block and the Troy front sight will work on rail's only :(

jackinfl
12-13-07, 22:29
Let's wait to hear what Troy did for Rob_S.

I am in a class with him this weekend I will ask him to post...

I use my Troy BUIS and I know there are THOUSANDS of others that use them with confidence.

Stay Safe.
Jack

SHIVAN
12-13-07, 22:36
One unit, with an oddball failure, is hardly cause for concern. Rob should be concerned about his non-functional sight, but I can't say I am the least bit worried about my functioning sights.

Troy Ind. is most likely going to replace Rob's, barring signs of abuse.

So where is the worry?

Before anyone decides to respond, make sure your response opens up by explaining the statistical significance of 1 unit out of several thousand. :D

Harv
12-13-07, 22:57
jackinfl

Let's wait to hear what Troy did for Rob_S.

WHY??

rob_s
12-14-07, 04:20
So far what they've done for me is issued a UPS postage paid tag so I can send it back to them. I have it packaged up but being sick and trying to get ready for this class have kept me from actually dropping it in a UPS box.

I also agree that I wouldn't let one unit stop you from buying. I think I recall there being a ball-detent issue with a batch a couple of years ago and this sight may well be from that batch.

C4IGrant
12-14-07, 12:05
Spoken like a true salesman!:D

Actually it is spoken like a guy that has owned Troy sights from day one (on many different weapons) and put them through hundreds of training classes. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
12-14-07, 12:06
I think I'll end up buying the GG&G spring actuated sights because, I will be mounting the front sight onto a YHM gas block and the Troy front sight will work on rail's only :(

Ah yes, springs and iron sights. Always a bad idea. Fill spring operated sights with sand/dirt and get back to us on how well they deploy.

C4

K&R
12-14-07, 16:01
Grant, how are the spring loaded sights different from non spring loaded ones? Would'nt they all be seseptibable to dirt and sand to a point? Have you seen or heard of the GG&G sights failing because of contamination?
Just Curious;)

Ah yes, springs and iron sights. Always a bad idea. Fill spring operated sights with sand/dirt and get back to us on how well they deploy.

C4

C4IGrant
12-14-07, 16:06
Grant, how are the spring loaded sights different from non spring loaded ones? Would'nt they all be seseptibable to dirt and sand to a point? Have you seen or heard of the GG&G sights failing because of contamination?
Just Curious;)

The have mechanisms in them that can fill up and not function.

I have heard and seen all spring activated sights not work.

C4

K&R
12-14-07, 16:18
Just got off the phone with GG&G and they said there springs were "non exposed" for this reason and that there should be no issues with failures because of dirt and sand? When I get them I'll takem out to my garden and play with them in the dirt and see how they work! lol

C4IGrant
12-14-07, 16:35
Just got off the phone with GG&G and they said there springs were "non exposed" for this reason and that there should be no issues with failures because of dirt and sand? When I get them I'll takem out to my garden and play with them in the dirt and see how they work! lol

Yes, none of the springs on ANY of the BUIS's are fully exposed. Sand/dirts gets into everything.

To add insult to injury, the GG&G BUIS is really expensive.

The other thing I neve really liked about spring loaded BUIS's is that you have look for either a lever or button to launch it. Under stress, this is just never a good idea.

C4

Shihan
12-15-07, 12:18
Just Curious;)

Its always a good idea to have something like an optic not really on springs to deploy. What can go wrong will go wrong and the simpler the design the better.

Lumpy196
12-15-07, 21:08
So where is the worry?

Its the internet. All things are to be worried about on the internet.

C4IGrant
12-16-07, 15:56
Its the internet. All things are to be worried about on the internet.

This is true.

C4