PDA

View Full Version : Glock stippling & grip reduction questions?

bigguy1305
01-16-12, 14:43
Hi guys.
I want to start a DIY project on my Glock 21. The thing is I have a few questions that I can't find on the net.

1. I see people using Dura-Coat for grip texturing. Can I use a different brand & if so what else you give me an aggressive feel?

2. Can I stipple epoxy? I haven't seen anybody doing this. Is it possible.

3. Where can I get the 50 min epoxy or will 30 min work? 30 min is the only one I have found around my parts

4. What works better Dura-Coat, Herculiner or Dura-Coat Armorer?

5. Whats the difference between spray on and sponge or brush on? Will there be a different texture even if it's the same product but different application.

6. I have the quarter, .5 inch & 1" tape, files & sand paper (220, 320, 600, 1000 & 2000). What else will I be needing besides this and the epoxy & play-do. I haven't gotten them yet.

7. Will this be possible in a day?

8. What size drill bit would I need to make the hole on the frame?

9. If I can stipple the epoxy can I spray, brush or sponge on (dura-coat, herculiner or what ever else is out there) and then stipple on top of that for some areas?

10. Out of all the gripping coats used and available out there, what are them and a list if possible from smooth-mild-aggressive.

Thanks for all yuor help on this guys. It will be very much appreciated.

Toyoland66
01-16-12, 17:44
I haven't stippled so take this with a grain of salt

Most people use marine epoxy, you can order it online and it's tinted dark gray or black. You can stipple it.

Reductions that use bedliner for the retexture are ****in ugly.

Magsz
01-16-12, 17:51
You cannot stipple marine epoxy.

Toyo, if you know something we dont please let us know. :)

Toyoland66
01-16-12, 19:31
I guess I am mistaken, I thought I had see it done here but you can tell it didn't stipple the same as the rest of the frame:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64416

I think he did it just right, you don't need to grind all the way through the plastic of the frame, just thin it down and the epoxy is there to maintain the structural integrity of the backstrap.

Post pics of whatever you decide to do, I keep thinking about doing this to my G21 and would like to see how it turns out.

bigguy1305
01-16-12, 20:12
he didn't grind allot because is he was doing it to a 19 its not a big frame like the 21

bigguy1305
01-20-12, 14:41
here it is guys i'm half way there. i'll be getting in the mail the marine tex today but i'll put it on tomorrow. i still need a bit of more sanding in a few areas but the feel for me is way better than stock. so fare from what i have done its not so hard but i wouldn't recommend it to someone who never has work in some sort of hand craft or something like that because you do need a steady hand for this. i was a little scared at first because i've never done this but i have done stippling on my rifle and i've made 4 guitars. so when i got the hang of it i found it to be really easy for me.

i used marine epoxy and found the paint that matches the most to the texture of the frame it's rust-oleum textured black. when i went to home depot and looked at what they had i found a sample of this stuff and when i felt it i was amazed because it was the same thing as the frame i bought it on the spot and this is what i'll be using to finish curtain areas that the marine tex wont be covering.

i'll post more when i'm done.

Gatorbait
01-20-12, 16:16
Looks good 1305....

I really like most things about the G21. The only thing about it I really don't like is the feel of a stock Glock. To me, a stock 21 feels like holding a 2x4. However, if you consider your pistola a tool, then why not modify it to fit?

I have done several G21s with the marine epoxy method. I have found that if you use a blade end on the soldering iron, you can stipple the fill:
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/g21008.jpg?t=1327096736

There are a lot of ways to go with it. Here are a couple of G21 examples:
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/g21007.jpg?t=1327096771

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/g21009.jpg?t=1327096714
You can even mod the frame for CTC's.
As far as paint goes, I am like the Krylon flat stuff. If I get a scrape, I just pick up a can and take care of it.

Good luck, and please post your final result.

GB

HaydenB
01-20-12, 16:54
Gatorbait, don't take this the wrong way, as I'm being totally sincere..... Those are the most beautiful glocks I've ever seen.

bigguy1305
01-23-12, 13:07
alright guys as i promised. here is the final product. I do have to say it couldn't have felt any better than this. what a big difference in feel. i still haven't gone to the range so i can't say how it performs now. one thing i did notice, when i dry fire the striker makes a different sound than before. in a way it sounds like there is less echo to it. all in all the project went very well. it didn't take me the 48 hours that i wanted it to be but its ok.

Magsz
01-23-12, 13:11
What did you end up applying to the grip to create your texture?

Looks good.

bigguy1305
01-23-12, 13:21
i used marine tex in gray then i took a new scrubbing dishwasher pad and applied the marine tex with it in a poking motion. then i lightly sanded with a fine 600 grit sand paper at the end then i applied rust-oleum textured in black.

trinydex
01-23-12, 14:25
how much of a reduction is it? the 21 is huge, but if brought down to the right size, it could be a really great option even for people with small hands.

bigguy1305
01-23-12, 14:38
i took a measurement and the reduction from a factory frame was around 1/4 of an inch from the bottom part of the backstrap

Clay
01-23-12, 18:37
To the guys who've done these mods - what is the solution to preventing the newly stippled grip from having fuzzy pieces of plastic sticking out everywhere. I've stippled all my Glocks and this has been my only problem. I can't seen to achieve that "factory" stippled look. Is it necessary to paint over the stippling to achieve this?

Thanks,

Clay

licorice noose
01-23-12, 21:36
To the guys who've done these mods - what is the solution to preventing the newly stippled grip from having fuzzy pieces of plastic sticking out everywhere. I've stippled all my Glocks and this has been my only problem. I can't seen to achieve that "factory" stippled look. Is it necessary to paint over the stippling to achieve this?

Thanks,

Clay

Hitting it with some fine grit sand paper after the stipple should help with that.

Here's my g19 reduced and stippled. The ugliest glock ever :dance3:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/hahaimapanda/IMG_4584-1.jpg

CoryCop25
01-23-12, 21:49
alright guys as i promised. here is the final product. I do have to say it couldn't have felt any better than this. what a big difference in feel. i still haven't gone to the range so i can't say how it performs now. one thing i did notice, when i dry fire the striker makes a different sound than before. in a way it sounds like there is less echo to it. all in all the project went very well. it didn't take me the 48 hours that i wanted it to be but its ok.

Beautiful job on the G21!
I do have one request....
Please reconsider your choice in mag releases. Vickers makes one for the G21. I have had nothing but problems with the one that you have on yours. {End rant}

trinydex
01-23-12, 22:13

Thanks,

Clay

Imo the finer the stipple the better it looks

Jaysop
01-23-12, 22:15

Thanks,

Clay

Just touch it with the flame of a lighter. They curl right up.