PDA

View Full Version : SKD PIG PC internal padding?

MSteele
01-16-12, 15:25
I just received my new PIG PC and couldn't be happier. Besides the obvious learning curve associated with wearing a PC, this thing is absolutely great. I am trying to figure a few things and would greatly appreciate any advice from experience.
-Has anyone removed the padding that comes inside of the PC on the front & back and worn it that way? Is it that much more uncomfortable or does it make the PC that much less?
-Has anyone replaced the padding with the Velocity Sys soft armor? not the plate backers the soft armor that goes inside the dedicated inserts on the vest. Does that add that much more weight and is it worth it if using stand alone plates?
-Also watching a TYR video on their site I saw that they addressed the issue of shouldering a rifle by installing an add on to the PC that aids in properly shouldering a rifle. Has anyone came up with their own DIY solution for aiding in this?
-Has anyone used their PC without the plates as a chest rig with success?

Thanks in advance!!!

piggly_wiggly
01-16-12, 22:02
I just received my new PIG PC and couldn't be happier. Besides the obvious learning curve associated with wearing a PC, this thing is absolutely great. I am trying to figure a few things and would greatly appreciate any advice from experience.
-Has anyone removed the padding that comes inside of the PC on the front & back and worn it that way? Is it that much more uncomfortable or does it make the PC that much less?

The padding helps with the comfort, but its the Pontoons on the back which are the biggest benefit to comfort.

-Has anyone replaced the padding with the Velocity Sys soft armor? not the plate backers the soft armor that goes inside the dedicated inserts on the vest. Does that add that much more weight and is it worth it if using stand alone plates?

The Soft Armor has the same effect as the foam insert as far as comfort, but will be heavier. If you have stand alone plates, you don't need the soft armor, although some go with both using the more armor = better protection theory. The trade off is weight and cost.

-Also watching a TYR video on their site I saw that they addressed the issue of shouldering a rifle by installing an add on to the PC that aids in properly shouldering a rifle. Has anyone came up with their own DIY solution for aiding in this?

See Military Moron's review- he uses a single pistol mag pouch as a rifle stock trap with success. Most users haven't needed a stock trap.

-Has anyone used their PC without the plates as a chest rig with success?

Can be done, but not recommended.

Thanks in advance!!!

MSteele,

Since you just got this, you're going to have to play around with it a bunch to see what works for you.
:cool:

MSteele
01-16-12, 22:32
Thanks for the reply Piggly Wiggly.

SWATcop556
01-18-12, 10:41
Before I picked up some soft armor for mine I used the foam with the plates and it was very comfy. The soft armor is heavier but the comfort difference is undetectable.

I have yet to have an issue with shouldering the rifle. When I'm running hard plates my rifle stock is resting on the plate itself close to my midline. I've used this stance for so long that I use it without a PC as well.

The issue I have is that the PIG PC's seem to have multiplied in my gear tubs. :ph34r: