PDA

View Full Version : Scored a cool old Coleman lantern on CL today

skyugo
01-16-12, 16:53
It occurred to me the other day that i didn't own a lantern. So... 5 minutes on CL turned up a 1975 220J. Dual mantle, very nice condition considering its age. a few chips and some minor rust. Seems to work well, holds pressure well.

http://i.imgur.com/DSBLE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mX4jD.jpg

ralph
01-16-12, 18:47
Looks almost new considering it's age, I have two..one like yours a double mantle, and a older red single mantle I bought as a teenager both still work, They're nice to have,put out alot of light, and don't use much fuel..

nimdabew
01-16-12, 18:57
First time I "operated" a lantern, I burned the shit out of my palm. Left a layer of skin sizzling on top too. Nice light generators.

skyugo
01-16-12, 19:28
First time I "operated" a lantern, I burned the shit out of my palm. Left a layer of skin sizzling on top too. Nice light generators.

yeah they get plenty warm....

when i was a lad my father borrowed a camping stove from a friend, and the whole thing would burst into flame upon lighting. Eventually it would go out and work fine.... gas/naptha powered things are fun.

skyugo
01-16-12, 19:29
Looks almost new considering it's age, I have two..one like yours a double mantle, and a older red single mantle I bought as a teenager both still work, They're nice to have,put out alot of light, and don't use much fuel..

only cost me 35 bucks with one of the new plastic coleman cases. I guess i need a tent now.

SeriousStudent
01-16-12, 19:39

I have one of those old red single mantle lanterns as well. I really do like it. It's relatively compact, but puts out quite a bit of light.

Found it at a garage sale for $10! :D

skyugo
01-16-12, 20:32
I have one of those old red single mantle lanterns as well. I really do like it. It's relatively compact, but puts out quite a bit of light.

Found it at a garage sale for $10! :D

my old man had an old red one. it came with a van he bought in the 70's. It finally died in the mid 90's (the lantern, the van was long gone) he bought a new coleman to replace it.

Belmont31R
01-16-12, 22:19
Cool. I love that sort of stuff from the 50's to 80's where stuff was actually made well and not just junk components with a brand name slapped on a POS. Glad there is still economic ways to fix and refurbish these old units as well.

Kinda like old school zippo lighters.....not expensive but reasonably well made stuff made in the USA that just plain works. Harder and harder to find this sort of stuff anymore. :(

HES
01-17-12, 10:37
I have a few of the propane ones, but have been wanting a multi fuel one. The current crop of Coleman lanterns are still built rock solid.

ralph
01-17-12, 11:43
I have a few of the propane ones, but have been wanting a multi fuel one. The current crop of Coleman lanterns are still built rock solid.

Do they still make the gas lanterns? I never bothered looking because, I never needed a replacement.

woodandsteel
01-17-12, 12:56
Do they still make the gas lanterns? I never bothered looking because, I never needed a replacement.

Yes they do. But, they (the dual fuel) can be expensive. You'll find them in about the $80 range.

I too have burned the hell out of my palm on one. That's a leason that I never forgot after close to 30 years.

I may hve to grab my dad's old lantern and see if it still runs. Coleman, I believe, sells all the little pieces to keep the old lanterns running.

montanadave
01-17-12, 14:12
Fifty-eight bucks for a new dual fuel lantern on Amazon (and fifteen more for the hard case). I picked one up just a week or so ago. Used to have another one I received as a wedding gift thirty years ago but I can't locate either one (the lantern or the wife).

rob_s
01-17-12, 14:49
wow, that's really cool. Just like the one we used going camping when I was a kid.

We also had a cooler kinda like this that was all metal on the outside except for the bottom. Took them both canoe camping. I had the cooler still up until a couple of years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-54-Quart-Steel-Belted-Cooler-Red/dp/B0009PURKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326833288&sr=8-1

ralph
01-17-12, 18:36
Yes they do. But, they (the dual fuel) can be expensive. You'll find them in about the $80 range.

I too have burned the hell out of my palm on one. That's a leason that I never forgot after close to 30 years.

I may hve to grab my dad's old lantern and see if it still runs. Coleman, I believe, sells all the little pieces to keep the old lanterns running.

Wow..I guess prices have gone up.. I think I paid $15 for my single mantle,,new..I'm not sure when I bought it..early 70's? I don't know for sure. Paid something like $25 for the two mantle a couple years later..As far as I know Pumps, genrators, mantles, caps for the tanks, and glass globes can still be had..I usually dig mine out about once a year and fire them up and make sure they still work.. I've got both of mine stored in the plastic cases..

skyugo
01-18-12, 00:26

the old ones will run unleaded gas too, it just gums up the generator faster. It gums up the new ones as well. Also be advised burning unleaded gasoline will smell like (wait for it)..... burning unleaded gasoline. From the reading i've done the old ones are built better.... you can find some of the real old ones that were nickel plated and just beautiful for under 40 bucks on ebay.
that said the new lanterns certainly do the job.

ralph
01-18-12, 09:06
Are they still made in the U.S.??