PDA

View Full Version : Surefire's new line.

rezin23
01-16-12, 20:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1F9ftwTeEE&feature=g-all-u&context=G2074059FAAAAAAAAAAA

WartHog
01-16-12, 20:26
500 lumens wow!

C45P312
01-16-12, 20:48
Looks good. Man 500 lumens may be too much i think. I don't know. Wonder if the X400-IR is civilian legal.

Shotdown
01-16-12, 20:51
Definitely making a stop there. I already want to purchase the new X300 @ 500 lumens

kid presentable
01-16-12, 20:57
wow...they went all out huh? x300 ultra is just rediculous

MookNW
01-16-12, 21:06
I was really hoping to see a compact x300 or something similar. Wonder what the msrp is on all those new items.

glocktogo
01-16-12, 21:10
Looks good. Man 500 lumens may be too much i think. I don't know. Wonder if the X400-IR is civilian legal.

I have a hot rodded C2 Centurion with 520 lumens and converted to use 18650 rechargeables. It is pure badass. :)

patriot_man
01-16-12, 21:45
Man and I thought the jump in lumen rating for the X300 last year was wild...

Waiting on the price of the 500 lumen X300... :D

LHS
01-16-12, 21:46
The X300 Ultra might be just the ticket for my DDM4V5LW. I love the positioning and functionality of running an X300 at the 12-o'clock position in front of the front sight, but having a bit more light on a carbine would be useful outdoors.

Shotdown
01-16-12, 23:18
The X300 Ultra might be just the ticket for my DDM4V5LW. I love the positioning and functionality of running an X300 at the 12-o'clock position in front of the front sight, but having a bit more light on a carbine would be useful outdoors.

I'll be selling my M600C for this setup too.

PD Sgt.
01-16-12, 23:19
I was really hoping to see a compact x300 or something similar. Wonder what the msrp is on all those new items.

I was hoping to see this as well. As a matter of fact, it is the one thing I was hoping SF would bring out at SHOT.

patriot_man
01-17-12, 01:04
I'm wondering if the X300 Ultra's beam is tight enough for long range use like the Scout lights. Also didn't Surefire have the 1 cell X300 last year at SHOT 2011? Whatever happened to that?

Javelin
01-17-12, 01:31
I have a Surefire with a drop-in 460 lumen LED bulb. It is ridiculously bright. Obviously the drop-in LED is more splash of light than a good Surefire focused and balanced beam but seriously it is a lot of light and you will lose your 'night vision' if you turn it on even briefly (think car headlight).

All that said - I would be willing to give a Surefire 500 lumen a shot.

rob_s
01-17-12, 05:43
Surprised there isn't more chatter on the cans.

The octagonal can I assumed was .22 but then in the video they appear to have it mounted on a 5.56 AR? Goes by kind of quick and I didn't pause it.

Also glad to see the compact .308 can getting some official attention from SF.

JeepDriver
01-17-12, 07:12

The octagonal can I assumed was .22 but then in the video they appear to have it mounted on a 5.56 AR? Goes by kind of quick and I didn't pause it.

Also glad to see the compact .308 can getting some official attention from SF.

I paused it, it is on a 22 upper.

krm375
01-17-12, 07:18
I think those lights seem to be getting larger and larger, I would be interested in more streamlined around the rails and smaller. Isn't the best place for light above or below the barrel on a weapon? Focus on getting the light as close to the hand guard as possible.

jonconsiglio
01-17-12, 07:44
I've carried the LX2 light for a while, which is 200/15 lumens. It's similar in size to the Executive series, though it's just a hair thicker. That light with 500 lumens will be great.

What I'd really like to see is their IR weapon lights get a 50% increase or more.

markm
01-17-12, 07:45
Looks good. Man 500 lumens may be too much i think. I don't know.

No doubt. When I light up my plain old 120 indoors after my eyes have adjusted, it knocks me back.

Voodoo_Man
01-17-12, 08:29
Sweet, 500 lumens is a lot, especially for indoors. Outdoors/carstops good to go.

markm
01-17-12, 08:31
Sweet, 500 lumens is a lot, especially for indoors. Outdoors/carstops good to go.

Definitely a good outside light.

scottryan
01-17-12, 08:40
The X300 Ultra needed to be made and I will order one immediately.

The regular X300 is not enough light for outside rural situations with a 14.5" or longer gun.

buddyhoohaw
01-17-12, 09:28
I always thought an "Irish" version of the m900 VFG weapon light would do well in the marketplace.

The monster can looks a little cheesey.

Cheers

scottryan
01-17-12, 10:20
The M500 and M900 just won't ****ing die from their product line.

MikeCLeonard
01-17-12, 10:50

I saw the can with the spikes/teeth and laughed. I don't know...just seems like one of the top-ten features added by manufacturers that cater to the Zombie-Apoc crowed.

I had a breacher muzzle-device on an 870 Police of mine a few years ago until I found that the spikes didn't do much accept destroy nylon gear and cases.

ZGXtreme
01-17-12, 10:51

The regular X300 is not enough light for outside rural situations with a 14.5" or longer gun.

Exactly what I was thinking. Will work perfectly on my Commando.

The M500 and M900 just won't ****ing die from their product line.

Glad to see the 500 though.

rob_s
01-17-12, 10:52
I saw the can with the spikes/teeth and laughed. I don't know...just seems like one of the top-ten features added by manufacturers that cater to the Zombie-Apoc crowed.

I had a breacher muzzle-device on an 879 Police of mine a few years ago until I found that the spikes didn't do much accept destroy nylon gear and cases.

I know that muzzle strikes are a tool taught by some, and if you have a can they are less effective (same force over larger, blunter, area) so I dunno if the can spikes are an attempt to address that or what. Since it's Surefire, and not Eotech with their blatant zombie reticule, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

MikeCLeonard
01-17-12, 11:14
I know that muzzle strikes are a tool taught by some, and if you have a can they are less effective (same force over larger, blunter, area) so I dunno if the can spikes are an attempt to address that or what. Since it's Surefire, and not Eotech with their blatant zombie reticule, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, I'm guessing its designed that way for specific user groups and purposes...striking/breaking through glass.

TCBA_Joe
01-17-12, 11:27
Wonder if the X400-IR is civilian legal.

I've been asking around online to see if some one can answer or at least find out.

Also, does it look like they've reengineered their x-series mounts to a thumbscrew? I love the x300, but getting it one and off my rifle rail sucks.

markm
01-17-12, 11:35
Yeah, I'm guessing its designed that way for specific user groups and purposes...striking/breaking through glass.

I punched my AAC can through glass and scratched the shit out of it.

orionz06
01-17-12, 11:48

I believe it was mentioned last year that one of the units/groups that use Surefire cans (I guess that is not very specific) requested the crenelations for muzzle striking. I imagine in their line of work not everyone needs a bullet.

Biggy
01-17-12, 11:53

Approximately when and where will these be available to order ?

Magic_Salad0892
01-17-12, 12:16
I couldn't watch the video, because of work, but if the new X300 will fit in my KAC light mount, I'll be ordering two of them immediately.

I wonder what it's lowest and highest adjustments are. And measurement specs.

jonconsiglio
01-17-12, 12:43
What x300 KAC light mount?

Magic_Salad0892
01-17-12, 12:46
What x300 KAC light mount?

KAC makes a light mount for 1'' diameter lights. Somebody mentioned the M600C which is what is in mine, so I was starting to wonder if the X300...

Wait a minute... the X300 has an integral mount...

Forget whatever I said...

jonconsiglio
01-17-12, 12:47
I punched my AAC can through glass and scratched the shit out of it.

Ha! I guess I could see that strike bezel on the suppressor if you are forced to thump a dude and plow through him. I'm not sure how much more effective this would be than with a normal can, but I do know either way that I will not need that feature.

Like Rob, I guess I'm more understanding since it's Surefire rather than Spikes, for example.

jonconsiglio
01-17-12, 12:50
KAC makes a light mount for 1'' diameter lights. Somebody mentioned the M600C which is what is in mine, so I was starting to wonder if the X300...

Wait a minute... the X300 has an integral mount...

Forget whatever I said...

Gotcha. Which ones fit 1" mounts currently? The E series lights are 3/4", right? So, it would be the G series or similar?

That new Fury looks great, which would fit the 1" if I'm following.

scottryan
01-17-12, 13:05
Approximately when and where will these be available to order ?

I don't know.

scottryan
01-17-12, 13:07
All those spikes do on the can is tear up gun cases, vehicles, clothes, and get snagged.

Magic_Salad0892
01-17-12, 13:25
Gotcha. Which ones fit 1" mounts currently? The E series lights are 3/4", right? So, it would be the G series or similar?

That new Fury looks great, which would fit the 1" if I'm following.

Yeah. G series, or the Scout.

IMHO, on a super lightweight gun a E series light, on a Gear Sector offset mount is super bitchin'. I've entertained the thought of doing an ultra light build.

What are the specs on the Fury? Lumens, size, etc.

Also, is the new X300 small enough for pistols?

snackgunner
01-17-12, 13:43
Also, is the new X300 small enough for pistols?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1199218&postcount=12

Magic_Salad0892
01-17-12, 13:46
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1199218&postcount=12

Bitchin'. Thanks, man.

jonconsiglio
01-17-12, 15:29
snip....

The Fury is in the new video but there's also a video specific to it on Surefire's site. I'll post back with a link. The only reason I said the Fury, was that it seemed similar to the current G2 list in size. I bough my father in law a G2Z (I think) and it looks to be about the same size but much more powerful.

It's already been answered, but the the new x300 ultra appears to be the same size as the current x300. There was also that smaller x300 with one cr123, but not sure if that's out yet or not.

I'm not on CandlePower forums, but here's a huge thread on the Fury. 500 lumens and $155. It's not what I was thinking of though, I was picturing it as a combat light with the grip ring. I'll watch that video again to see which one I was talking about.

This thread started in November - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?325761-The-SureFire-P2X-B-quot-Fury-quot-500lu-flashlight-thread

Edit - Ok, I was thinking of the ZM2, but it looks like the Fury or DM2 would make great weponlights as well, though I'm not sure how the Fury is set up, so maybe I shouldn't say that yet.

I'd imagine we'll soon see some Scout lights with higher output. I'm glad I didn't buy that 720v recently. For that much money I want much more output now that these are coming.

It appears that the Fury is a 500/15 that has already been released. I believe it's the only one released so far from that video. So, it'll work as a weapon light, but not really ideal due to dual output.

Here's a list from another site someone posted of the new lights

(Thanks to SuperTrouper for sharing this video over in The YouTube Thread)

Below list courtesy of Size15s:
Here is the list for models SureFire is proposing for 2012 from their video:

UM2 Ultra (6-setting selector ring, TIR, 500 lumens)
ZM2 CombatLight (CombatGrip, TIR, 500 lumens)
DM2 Defender (Crenelated "Strike Bezel", TIR, 500 lumens)
P2X-B-BK Fury (Dual-Output 15/500 lumens, reflector) [RELEASED]

LX2 Ultra (assume two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap, two-way PocketClip, TIR, ??/500 lumens)
EB1 (Dual-Output ??/200 lumens, TIR, two-way PocketClip)

UDR Dominator (11-setting selector ring, rechargeable, reflector, 2000 lumens)
UBR Invictus (11-setting selector ring, 4-Function TailCap, rechargeable, TIR, 800 lumens)
UNR Commander (6-setting selector ring, 4-Function TailCap, rechargeable, TIR, 800 lumens)
UN3 Commander (6-setting selector ring, two-stage push button pressure switch, CombatGrip, three-SF123, TIR, 800 lumens)
R1 Lawman (Head & TailCap switching, rechargeable [two-SF123A w/ tray], reflector, 700 lumens)
R2 Lawman? (Head & TailCap switching?, rechargeable only, reflector?, 700 lumens?)

V1 Vampire (white/IR selectable output, TIR, two-stage TailCap, two-way PocketClip)
IR1 Illuminator (IR output, TIR, two-stage TailCap, two-way PocketClip)

2211 WristLight (white light, 200 lumens, hands-free)
S.A.L. Angle-Head Light (500 lumens white light, white and red secondary LEDs, programmable)

X400-GN (250 lumen, TIR, Green Laser Sight)
X400-IR (250? lumen white? light TIR, IR Laser Sight)
X300 Ultra (500 lumen white light, TIR)

M500LT, M900LT & M962LT (700 lumen TurboHead, TIR)

Moose-Knuckle
01-17-12, 15:58
I need that Mini 762 can!

Shane1
01-17-12, 18:05
I'll believe in the X300 Ultra when it is on the shelves before SHOT 2013.

tdoom15
01-17-12, 19:53
Looks like surefire has finally taken notice of the competition's features and implemented them into their line-up.

I wonder if those lumen ratings are OTF and what LED they're using in most of these lights? Will also be curious if the TIR is enough to extend the throw out far enough if they're using a larger diameter LED like the xml in the smaller bezel lights like the x300 ultra.

Moose-Knuckle
01-17-12, 20:55
Looks like surefire has finally taken notice of the competition's features and implemented them into their line-up.

I thought the same thing, bout time too. Playing catch up to a lot of the high out put devices coming out of Red China. Now that SF is in the game I find the need for a 500 lumen handheld! :D

LRB45
01-17-12, 21:47
So much want!!!

AggiePhil
01-17-12, 21:50
I'm having trouble finding info on the 762-MINI suppressor. The video shows it on an AK. I need to know what kind of threads it accepts. I've got a 7.62 Bulgarian Krink with 24mm threads and am PRAYING this suppressor will work on it. Thus far, the Red Jacket can has been my only option.

patriot_man
01-17-12, 22:02
Is the X300 Ultra at SHOT? Someone take a picture of it. If it looks like it was hastily pushed off the line like the X300 single cell was at SHOT 2011 I feel we have some waiting to do. :D

trinydex
01-18-12, 00:58
At 500 lumens battery life must be terrible

mkmckinley
01-18-12, 04:23
At 500 lumens battery life must be terrible

Not necessarily, with more efficient LEDs it could be pretty decent.

spr1
01-18-12, 06:49
I am still waiting for the X300 compact.......

tdoom15
01-18-12, 09:20
Not necessarily, with more efficient LEDs it could be pretty decent.

This is where my concern lies....if they use something like the XML (which is most likely to get that output and decent battery life), the LED diameter is going to be so large that there will be much more spill than throw and the smaller bezeled lights, this will be interesting to see what effect the TIR has on it.

I know the Fury has a slightly larger reflector/bezel diameter than the 6p, so I'm sure all this is not lost on surefire.

Also, these out puts may be lumens read at the emitter, not OTF (contrary to surefire's MO). It's also a very real possibility that output decreases significantly after heat sink sets in and you get a real output in the 350ish range.

the XML LED is also a bit more expensive to purchase, so my guess is price will adjust accordingly. I personally would have been happy with lights in the 300 lumen range on average. For big dedicated throwers, I'll stick with something in the more budget friendly department as they rarely get used.

trinydex
01-18-12, 10:27
I thought the trend would be slightly less lumens with significantly increased battery life. I guess surefire is going another direction.

VLODPG
01-18-12, 14:34
I need that Mini 762 can!

I'm sorry I ordered the AAC SDN6 now! Any MSRP on them yet?

Magic_Salad0892
01-18-12, 15:13
The Fury is in the new video but there's also a video specific to it on Surefire's site. I'll post back with a link. The only reason I said the Fury, was that it seemed similar to the current G2 list in size. I bough my father in law a G2Z (I think) and it looks to be about the same size but much more powerful.

It's already been answered, but the the new x300 ultra appears to be the same size as the current x300. There was also that smaller x300 with one cr123, but not sure if that's out yet or not.

I'm not on CandlePower forums, but here's a huge thread on the Fury. 500 lumens and $155. It's not what I was thinking of though, I was picturing it as a combat light with the grip ring. I'll watch that video again to see which one I was talking about.

This thread started in November - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?325761-The-SureFire-P2X-B-quot-Fury-quot-500lu-flashlight-thread

Edit - Ok, I was thinking of the ZM2, but it looks like the Fury or DM2 would make great weponlights as well, though I'm not sure how the Fury is set up, so maybe I shouldn't say that yet.

I'd imagine we'll soon see some Scout lights with higher output. I'm glad I didn't buy that 720v recently. For that much money I want much more output now that these are coming.

It appears that the Fury is a 500/15 that has already been released. I believe it's the only one released so far from that video. So, it'll work as a weapon light, but not really ideal due to dual output.

Here's a list from another site someone posted of the new lights

Thanks, man. :)

aftermath686
01-18-12, 16:10
I'm having trouble finding info on the 762-MINI suppressor. The video shows it on an AK. I need to know what kind of threads it accepts. I've got a 7.62 Bulgarian Krink with 24mm threads and am PRAYING this suppressor will work on it. Thus far, the Red Jacket can has been my only option.

SF suppressors are all (except for the new .22 cans) fast attach via an adapter. The adapters are flash-hiders or muzzle brakes. What this means is the suppressors are not weapon specific, they are caliber specific. What you would need to determine is the thread pitch of your barrel and then see if SF has a muzzle device for it. I would recommend contacting them if you have questions like this as they seem to be quite helpful.

Go on the catalogs tab of Surefire.com and download the suppressor catalog. There is more info on the 762mini there.

rezin23
01-18-12, 19:06
Thanks, I was looking for more info on the mini-762 can as well.

Failure2Stop
01-18-12, 19:13
All those spikes do on the can is tear up gun cases, vehicles, clothes, and get snagged.

They help a lot when getting through side windows of vehichles with a can.
Not sure how much I would want to do that with a can though. Hoping that SF took the frontal stress into account when building the can if that is indeed the purpose.

TurretGunner
01-19-12, 08:38
I thought the trend would be slightly less lumens with significantly increased battery life. I guess surefire is going another direction.

Surefire: "where your guns are an accsesory to your flashlight". You need a $500 light to make that $400 glock battle ready.....

Longhorn
01-19-12, 10:16
After watching the video, I heard high pitched screaming...my dogs were fine, my son isn't here and tracking down the noise it was coming from my wallet, it's crying out from the pain!

Looks like some good lights are coming down the pipe, can't wait to see them up close in 2013 lol.

WS6
01-19-12, 10:31

The product (500+ lumen X300) has been available for purchase for months already from other companies. Surefire, as usual, is just now catching up with what we in the flashlight community were doing a over half a year ago.

Here is a 1,000 lumen X300. You can also buy 1000 lumen M600's.
http://www.oveready.com/custom-flashlights/triple-xpg-surefire-x300/prod_211.html

That said, I really do love my 100% OEM M300A.

Jay Cunningham
01-19-12, 10:33
There's a flashlight community? Who knew.

WS6
01-19-12, 10:35

I'm sure it's a joke, but I didn't know there was one myself, up until a few years ago when my OEM Surefire 6PLED disappointed me and I went looking for better.

The only thing I cannot find is a TIR optic like SF offers. Everything else about them (aside from reliability in SOME cases) is usually 1-3 years behind. They are starting to catch up, though, and cut the gap considerably, depending on if/when those products are actually released.

orionz06
01-19-12, 10:40
I have seen what 750 lumens from 2 XML's can do, I can only imagine that 3 bulb SF X300... Insane.

jonconsiglio
01-19-12, 10:45
I didn't know either, though I assumed since there's a community for just about everything. That CandlePower forum seems pretty good though I've only read a couple threads when looking for specific info.

Then again, I think the clothing forums my wife checks now and then is a joke. Just like every other, everyone has to talk about their $350 jeans being the best (like a rifle or light or handgun) and the $200 ones, while good, won't be nearly as high quality, etc.

Silliness, but there's a forum for everything.

orionz06
01-19-12, 10:47
I didn't know either, though I assumed since there's a community for just about everything. That CandlePower forum seems pretty good though I've only read a couple threads when looking for specific info.

Then again, I think the clothing forums my wife checks now and then is a joke. Just like every other, everyone has to talk about their $350 jeans being the best (like a rifle or light or handgun) and the $200 ones, while good, won't be nearly as high quality, etc.

You should at least try a decent pair of jeans one day, worth every penny.

I wonder if there is a forum for talking about asshats on forums?

jonconsiglio
01-19-12, 10:49
You should at least try a decent pair of jeans one day, worth every penny.

I wonder if there is a forum for talking about asshats on forums?

I wear True Religions, actually. =D

This forum is pretty good for talking about asshats on other forums!

orionz06
01-19-12, 10:51
They never looked right on me but are very nice, I imagine you know what I am talking about then.

Anyway...

The new handhelds do seem to be 2 years too late and $50 too much.

markm
01-19-12, 10:56

I saw a forum dedicated to talking about hammocks! :eek:

I was searching for a camping hammock that my buddy had, and found a friggin FORUM for hammock lovers. :agree:

jonconsiglio
01-19-12, 10:58
They never looked right on me but are very nice, I imagine you know what I am talking about then.

Anyway...

The new handhelds do seem to be 2 years too late and $50 too much.

I hear ya. We're gonna catch some shit if we talk anymore about this!

As for the the handhelds... Even though they're a little late, I'm just a loyal Surefire customer and will only buy from them. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I trust them and since I use them everyday, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

I'm very interested in the new LX2. The other things I'd really appreciate is higher IR output on the 620 and 720 as well as something like a 50% increase for the scout lights. Id really like a 250 lumen mini scout, give or take.

Better yet, I'd like a new 250 lumen head for the scout lights so I don't have to buy new complete units.

jonconsiglio
01-19-12, 10:59
I saw a forum dedicated to talking about hammocks! :eek:

I was searching for a camping hammock that my buddy had, and found a friggin FORUM for hammock lovers. :agree:

Holy shit. I would imagine a Hammock and sleeping section of an outdoors forum, but a dedicated forum is pushing it! I'd love to know how many members that site had.

markm
01-19-12, 11:02
I'm just a loyal Surefire customer and will only buy from them. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I trust them and since I use them everyday, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Come to SolarForce! Let go of your irrational beliefs!

jonconsiglio
01-19-12, 11:08

As long as I can get the "bling" model that is on their homepage! Which I can't say much about since Surefire released something blingy in the last catalog as well.

Since this is a Surefire thread (and I've already drifted about forums and jeans :D ) I'll search for some results. Are they decent lights? Feel free to PM me. I'm always interested in more info at the least.

Edit - coming from you, I'll definitely have to put my irrational beliefs in check! :D

tdoom15
01-20-12, 08:52

Some (l2p) solarforce hosts that actually have HA III aren't too bad, especially since you can add a malkoff p60 drop in and be good to go. Their complete lights are average.

There are a lot of other good brands of flashlights...Elzetta then Fenix being top of the list, followed by jetbeam, eagletac, etc....but surefire is still top dog among commercially popular lights.

Candlepowerforums is AWESOME...it is the m4c of all things illuminated.

True Religion...I'll save my thoughts on those (though I do own 1 pair WITHOUT the obnoxious stitching), William Rast and Diesel is where it's at!

YVK
01-20-12, 12:49
Here is a 1,000 lumen X300. You can also buy 1000 lumen M600's.
http://www.oveready.com/custom-flashlights/triple-xpg-surefire-x300/prod_211.html

I believe Oveready lights require proprietary batteries for such outputs. Use of regular CR123 is highly discouraged.

In other news, Rock&Religion and Sugarcane.

tctlrld
01-20-12, 16:14
Does anyone know if the X400-IR is going to come in a Class I civi legal version, or just melt your retina RX strength?

DemonRat
01-20-12, 19:28
True Religion...I'll save my thoughts on those (though I do own 1 pair WITHOUT the obnoxious stitching), William Rast and Diesel is where it's at!
Whatever happened to good ol' 501's?

So far the lights I have been using are a glock handgun light (don't know the model number or lumens) and my trusty ol' mag light. Besides I am not very savvy on lights so I really don't whats what. Hence why I read the forums here. I do say that 500 lumens on the X300 Ultra would be nice to have but again as someone else posted it would seem you would also loose your night vision and your peripheral vision too. I wonder if a red or green lens cap would help in that type of a sitation.

StrikerFired
01-20-12, 19:38

Yeah me too, emailed Surefire as I was told last November that the X300 Compact was in the works. They emailed back a day later saying that there were some delays in getting that product to market and maybe released later in the year... :angry:

John Hearne
01-21-12, 13:02

I agree with this. I have yet to find a better outdoor light than my M500AB. It is a legit 100 yard light.

black6
01-21-12, 13:29
Thanks for the video.

I am so glad I just bought an X-300 and Z2X.

At least I waited on the long gun upgrade.

Alaskapopo
01-21-12, 17:52
Whatever happened to good ol' 501's?

So far the lights I have been using are a glock handgun light (don't know the model number or lumens) and my trusty ol' mag light. Besides I am not very savvy on lights so I really don't whats what. Hence why I read the forums here. I do say that 500 lumens on the X300 Ultra would be nice to have but again as someone else posted it would seem you would also loose your night vision and your peripheral vision too. I wonder if a red or green lens cap would help in that type of a sitation.

No matter what light you use at night you lose your night vision. Its the nature of the beast. If your using your light however you don't need night vision.
Pat

justlikeanyoneelse
01-21-12, 21:17
That surefire x300 with green laser caught my eye, is that available now or later?

Josh-L
01-21-12, 22:53
Any word on the single cell x300 they had last year?

Alaskapopo
01-21-12, 23:26
That surefire x300 with green laser caught my eye, is that available now or later?

That was actually the x400 and it did look nice but I noticed the output was lower like 250 lums vs 500.
Pat

tdoom15
01-22-12, 02:40
No matter what light you use at night you lose your night vision. Its the nature of the beast. If your using your light however you don't need night vision.
Pat

I could be wrong, but I think he is talking about his natural night vision. For example, ever woke up in the middle of the night in the pitch black and turned on a 200 lumen light....you blind yourself as your eyes aren't ready for it. This is why I keep a g2x pro next to my bed in addition to the light on my gun.

I think a lot of people get caught up in high lumen counts etc but don't actually realize that a 500 lumen light will be a pita when you first open your eyes at night, and also will throw a lot of light back on you in confined areas.

Alaskapopo
01-22-12, 03:18
I could be wrong, but I think he is talking about his natural night vision. For example, ever woke up in the middle of the night in the pitch black and turned on a 200 lumen light....you blind yourself as your eyes aren't ready for it. This is why I keep a g2x pro next to my bed in addition to the light on my gun.

I think a lot of people get caught up in high lumen counts etc but don't actually realize that a 500 lumen light will be a pita when you first open your eyes at night, and also will throw a lot of light back on you in confined areas.

What I am saying is any reasonable light source is going to kill your night vision. Its worse when you first wake up. But saying a 500 lumin light will make you more blind than a 170 lumin light is like saying you would be more dead from being shot with a 500 Smith and Wesson vs a 44 mag. Part of using a light is your night vision is going to go away. I have done my share of building searchings and know this first hand. I would not mind seeing this light with a long lasting 250 lum setting and a 500 high intensity setting for when you needed it but with less run time.
Pat

rob_s
01-22-12, 05:09

yeah, apparently "onion chopping" is on the list to become an Olympic Event soon as well.

rob_s
01-22-12, 05:11

What suspects have you been unable to locate/identify that you felt were a result of the output of the existing model? What hajis got away?

Wait, I just re-read this. barrel length is a contributor to brightness? ****. I really need to head over to the onion-chopping forum more and learn all about that.

Alaskapopo
01-22-12, 05:27
What suspects have you been unable to locate/identify that you felt were a result of the output of the existing model? What hajis got away?

Wait, I just re-read this. barrel length is a contributor to brightness? ****. I really need to head over to the onion-chopping forum more and learn all about that.

I have been in a few situations where I wish I had more light outdoors. Nothing bad came of them luckily. I am looking forward to having 500 lums. That is what the first AR light I ever used had. The forend light that Surefire makes. I got one when I was a Rookie. It was damn heavy but there were a few times that 500 lumin light came in handy.
Pat

Failure2Stop
01-22-12, 09:08

We were using 60-75 lumen SF lights in 04, and there were times that it would have been nice to penetrate deep shadows without entering the enclosure.
I worked on an UNS in 06 where it was clearly spelled out by the units in need that corroborated my experience: light needed to penetrate into caves while the user was outside in daylight.
I am not saying that everyone's use mirrors mine, but there are applications for lights other than at night, and that sometimes getting that light into the 250 to 500 lumen range can be useful.
Always needed? No, but still useful in some conditions.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-22-12, 10:11
What I am saying is any reasonable light source is going to kill your night vision. Its worse when you first wake up. But saying a 500 lumin light will make you more blind than a 170 lumin light is like saying you would be more dead from being shot with a 500 Smith and Wesson vs a 44 mag. Part of using a light is your night vision is going to go away. I have done my share of building searchings and know this first hand. I would not mind seeing this light with a long lasting 250 lum setting and a 500 high intensity setting for when you needed it but with less run time.
Pat

Would you just go active with your light and keep it on? I assume that once you use your light, moving around or seeing threats in darker areas would be very difficult?

I wonder if the real key is a pretty good forward illumination and a lot of spill to the sides so you aren't having to wave the gun all around to get light where you need it.

CandleForums is a hoot. Almost too much information over there at times, but the definative place to go if you want to know the 'M4C'-level view on illumination.

misanthropist
01-22-12, 12:33
I don't personally have a use for that much light, but that's obviously not to say it's not useful for others.

But I do find it frustrating that the big innovation is "brighter" not "smaller".

I will mention jeans one more time largely for the metaphorical content: I wear Naked and Famous jeans. Jeans enthusiasts are invited to do a quick bit of research on Naked and Famous for the analog to light, or firearms, manufacturing.

tdoom15
01-22-12, 12:58
Pat

I will respectfully have to disagree, although I think we are on the same page as far as amount of light needed at night.

The g2x pro I keep by my bed side has 2 settings, 15-200 lumens. 15 lumens is a 'reasonable' amount of light so as to not damage your night vision while still being able to see until my eyes adjust, and one tail click will take me to 200 if I need it. I also have a tk15 (337 lumens) and an eagletac m3c4 (800 lumens)...I have purposely kept all these by the bedside to test the differing levels of 'blindness' they would cause after waking up in the middle of the night, and from my experience I could tell a noticeable difference between all them, even between the 200 and 337 of the surefire and the fenix.

I think with building clearing, you are already awake and eyes adjusted and prepared, so 200-350lumens should be no problem for adjusted eyes inside. 500 would be more than I would care for indoors in any situation, at that point it will start to effect even adjusted eyes. YMMV.

tdoom15
01-22-12, 13:04
I don't personally have a use for that much light, but that's obviously not to say it's not useful for others.

But I do find it frustrating that the big innovation is "brighter" not "smaller".

I will mention jeans one more time largely for the metaphorical content: I wear Naked and Famous jeans. Jeans enthusiasts are invited to do a quick bit of research on Naked and Famous for the analog to light, or firearms, manufacturing.

There are plenty of small bright lights in every size/UI/bat config/etc...check out jetbeam, lumintop, klarus, 4 7's, eagletac etc

tostado22
01-22-12, 13:23
The M962LT looks like it would be good mounted on a crew serve. Although we usually run night optics anyway so it probably wouldnt see much use

d90king
01-22-12, 13:36
Am I the only one who thought that was a terrible way to introduce new products? I was waiting for the Metalica to start playing.

I would have much preferred a factual demonstration of the products instead of that production. Shit. Maybe I am getting old. :eek:

A 500 X300? Cant wait for the first report of the poor soul who bounces that off of a white wall. :D

Alaskapopo
01-22-12, 15:33
Would you just go active with your light and keep it on? I assume that once you use your light, moving around or seeing threats in darker areas would be very difficult?

I wonder if the real key is a pretty good forward illumination and a lot of spill to the sides so you aren't having to wave the gun all around to get light where you need it.

CandleForums is a hoot. Almost too much information over there at times, but the definative place to go if you want to know the 'M4C'-level view on illumination.

No you don't just leave the light on that would make you a bullet magnet. You illuminate an area then turn it off then move. And repeat. Its not that hard.
Pat

misanthropist
01-22-12, 23:12
There are plenty of small bright lights in every size/UI/bat config/etc...check out jetbeam, lumintop, klarus, 4 7's, eagletac etc

I have not found one that impresses me in the configuration that interests me: single 123 WML.

Further to that, I am less confident in the performance of many of the China lights than in the SF lights. I would be much happier to see a mini X300 that puts out 170 lumens from a single 123 than a full-size x300 that puts out 500 lumens.

I think that I am not alone in this, either...from a CCW perspective, narrow WMLs make a lot of sense.

tdoom15
01-23-12, 00:26
I have not found one that impresses me in the configuration that interests me: single 123 WML.

Further to that, I am less confident in the performance of many of the China lights than in the SF lights. I would be much happier to see a mini X300 that puts out 170 lumens from a single 123 than a full-size x300 that puts out 500 lumens.

I think that I am not alone in this, either...from a CCW perspective, narrow WMLs make a lot of sense.

You didn't specify weapon mounted, but I would agree a lot of people are looking for something like that.

For the record though, there are a lot of high quality lights aside from surefire.

Alaskapopo
01-23-12, 01:08

For a CCW pistol what you say would be fine. However for a carbine or a duty pistol I would much prefer to have more light and can live with the current size of the X300. In a perfect world their would be both models made for each function.
Pat

patriot_man
01-23-12, 03:06
I wonder how far out the X300 ultra can touch out to...

Alaskapopo
01-23-12, 03:16
I wonder how far out the X300 ultra can touch out to...
Well with my older surefire M500 (maybe wrong on model) that I had on my AR with 500 lumins it would light a house up from 100 yards away.
Pat

Dos Cylindros
01-23-12, 11:21
The X300 Ultra will be replacing the M300a on my carbine, and I really want that new push dagger to carry IWB behind the mag pouches on my duty belt. Would be a great weapon retention tool. Oh, and I want one of the new rechargable handhelds too.

misanthropist
01-23-12, 17:40
For a CCW pistol what you say would be fine. However for a carbine or a duty pistol I would much prefer to have more light and can live with the current size of the X300. In a perfect world their would be both models made for each function.
Pat

Sure, it's just a question of application. Some people will be happy if Ford comes out with an F150 with 50 extra horsepower, others will be happy if they release a Focus that gets 100 mpg.

I am not against the idea of a 500 lumen X300...but it is not a product I personally value as much as a lower powered, slender x300.

Alaskapopo
01-23-12, 19:13
The issue that weighs most heavily on my mind now is how are they going to price these new lights?
Pat

patriot_man
01-24-12, 01:27
Well with my older surefire M500 (maybe wrong on model) that I had on my AR with 500 lumins it would light a house up from 100 yards away.
Pat

Wow. I wish Surefire would give a heads up on availability so I know whether to buy a Scout light or just wait. :p

Edit: The M300V looks great! Smaller vampire head and lock out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT-ny7SeVo8

LHS
01-24-12, 07:59
And the deals on old stock begin...

LA Police Gear is selling the X300 LED + 20 batteries for under $200.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sux3pili.html

jonconsiglio
01-24-12, 08:10
The Surefire m300v does look nice. It'll be nice if they make that head available.

JSantoro
01-24-12, 08:31
I worked on an UNS in 06 ...

... and that sometimes getting that light into the 250 to 500 lumen range can be useful.

AHA! So YOU'RE the reason why we had to buy those 3-cell, $600 monstrosities!

NEMISIS!!! :D

Wonder if the X400-IR is civilian legal.
Carlo, ping a Surefire rep and ask what the laser's classification is.

If it's Class 1 or Class 3R, it's legal for commercial purchase in the eyes of the FDA. At those classifications, it's Surefire's decision to sell them to the public or not, so another question worth asking.

If it's Class 3B, it's absolutely gonna be a restricted item.

contax_shooter
01-24-12, 13:10
What about mounting the old x300 and using an offset mount to use the newer x300 Ultra?

Use the lower powered for indoors and the Ultra is ready to go outdoors.

I'd like to know the run time for the 500 lumen version.

Mike Miller
01-24-12, 15:07
And the deals on old stock begin...

LA Police Gear is selling the X300 LED + 20 batteries for under $200.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sux3pili.html

How do you get the 20 free batteries to show up? Is that promotion over?

jonconsiglio
01-25-12, 13:06
Does anybody know the output (both white light and IR outputs) of the m300v?

black6
01-25-12, 16:10
Does anyone have a price list for the new lights to share?

Also, for the ones who saw the X300 Ultra, is the light bezel bigger than the current X300 making it incompatible with current Safariland holsters?

Thanks in advance.

Surf
01-31-12, 22:29
Ahh yes, I remember those cool fellas rocking 2 lights on their carbines, ya know the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" concept. Now I can rock a standard X300 for indoors and when I am outdoors I can fire up the second with a full 500 lumens! Maybe I can run a tail cap / tape switch and wire the button for one light and the pressure switch for the other light!

Waaaaitt a minute, I bet I could sell bundles of these set ups. Just gotta get the trainer dujor to run it in a couple courses and get Stick to snap a few action shots! Hotcakes I tell ya!

Any takers? :D

In reality I am very interested in the X300 Ultra. Of course price is the concern.

rob_s
02-01-12, 05:14
Ahh yes, I remember those cool fellas rocking 2 lights on their carbines, ya know the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" concept. Now I can rock a standard X300 for indoors and when I am outdoors I can fire up the second with a full 500 lumens! Maybe I can run a tail cap / tape switch and wire the button for one light and the pressure switch for the other light!

I think you're going to need one at each rail. 500 lumen on top, 200 on bottom, red filter on left, IR on right.
:jester:

patriot_man
05-26-12, 03:01
Are there any updates or information on the X300 Ultra and will there be an upgrade head for the Scout series offering more output? I'm debating whether or not too keep my scouts. There are things I prefer on the scout lights.

John Hearne
05-26-12, 09:18
Talked to a Surefire rep at a trade show. He advised "fall" for the X300 Ultra

jonconsiglio
05-26-12, 14:34
Are there any updates or information on the X300 Ultra and will there be an upgrade head for the Scout series offering more output? I'm debating whether or not too keep my scouts. There are things I prefer on the scout lights.

From what I understand, the scout lights are getting a bump to 170 (or very close) for the m300a mini scout and 250 for the m600 scout. Current 110 lumen mini scouts are selling for $100 off, on average.

I believe the 2012 brochure shows the new output.

patriot_man
05-26-12, 17:41
From what I understand, the scout lights are getting a bump to 170 (or very close) for the m300a mini scout and 250 for the m600 scout. Current 110 lumen mini scouts are selling for $100 off, on average.

I believe the 2012 brochure shows the new output.

Not quite the jump in lumens I was expecting for the M600 series but still sounds good. :p

Talked to a Surefire rep at a trade show. He advised "fall" for the X300 Ultra

Did you talk to him about the range of the light? Still wondering if the X300 ultra will surpass the Scout light's range.

El Cid
05-26-12, 17:59
I just wish they'd offer the x300 in FDE. They can't be cerakoted so that leaves paint or dipping as the only option.

patriot_man
05-27-12, 03:35
I just wish they'd offer the x300 in FDE. They can't be cerakoted so that leaves paint or dipping as the only option.

One of my wishes as well. I did think about getting one sent off to get re anodized in a FDE color.

jonconsiglio
05-27-12, 12:02
One of my wishes as well. I did think about getting one sent off to get re anodized in a FDE color.

Here's my black Surefire E1B in a black Gear Sector mount sprayed with Aervoe Sand.

Sorry, this is the only pic I have. The Mini Scout on the top is FDE from the factory and the E1B is on the bottom. I'll eventually spray one of my X300's as well.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7134/7089436503_bda24fa0fd_c.jpg

John Hearne
05-27-12, 12:45
Did you talk to him about the range of the light? Still wondering if the X300 ultra will surpass the Scout light's range.

The rep had a prototype and it appeared to be very freaking bright indoors. The light had a very weird green hue to it which is why it's delayed 'til fall - they're hoping they can fix that.

I have no idea about range. Despite being very bright, LED's fall off quickly when it comes to distance.

charmcitycop
05-27-12, 13:30

Tier One Arms
05-27-12, 15:00
Here's my black Surefire E1B in a black Gear Sector mount sprayed with Aervoe Sand.

Sorry, this is the only pic I have. The Mini Scout on the top is FDE from the factory and the E1B is on the bottom. I'll eventually spray one of my X300's as well.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7134/7089436503_bda24fa0fd_c.jpg

Tell me about the knives.

jonconsiglio
05-27-12, 15:12
Tell me about the knives.

Strider DB-L with G10 grips, Strider DB with Frag grips and Strider VB-GG which has Gunner Grips (that's the GG part of the model name).

El Cid
05-27-12, 18:17

I don't know how anodizing works, but to cerakote one requires complete disassembly. The vendor I spoke with said many of the parts are plastic clips that are one time use. I am not even a little interested in taking apart a light of that price.

WS6
06-29-12, 05:02
The rep had a prototype and it appeared to be very freaking bright indoors. The light had a very weird green hue to it which is why it's delayed 'til fall - they're hoping they can fix that.

I have no idea about range. Despite being very bright, LED's fall off quickly when it comes to distance.

Battery life is going to be about 20-30 minutes. They are using the XM-L pills in the Fury, and they list life as "1.5 hours". However, if you read the fine print, that is "until it falls below 50 lumens".

It is probably regulated for about 20 minutes and then goes into direct-drive and peters out over the next 1.1 hours or so.

I do not think that is optimal for a weapon light. Right now, we are at roughly 300 OTF lumens per hour regulated run-time for 2 CR123's, it seems, with the XP-G LED's, which are more efficient than the XM-L's in the 1.5A and below range.

I experienced this first-hand with my M300A. It is obviously putting out way more than 110 lumens. Looking at the battery life compared to the M600C, it is getting 1.3 hours of "tactical" run-time off of one battery at "110 lumens" compared to only 2 hours from 2 CR123's at 200 lumens for the M600C. Common sense tells us that the M600C cannot be almost twice as bright, considering the run-time is what it is. indeed I think the M300A is closer to 150-170 OTF lumens. Mine dropped out of regulation FAR SOONER than 1.3 hours, for sure, giving me "tactical" lighting (navigation or room-clearing, maybe).

Anyway, all I am saying is that right now, technology/LED efficiency is not there for a 500 lumen 2 CR123 light with more than about a 40 minute run-time at the very best. More likely, 25-30. Dropping down to 300 OTF lumens will get about 1 hour, or so, regulated.

jpmuscle
06-29-12, 18:18

The Air cure cerakote would work fine. No heat required and it holds up reasonably well. Ive done a couple rifles with it

Alaskapopo
06-29-12, 18:20
Battery life is going to be about 20-30 minutes. They are using the XM-L pills in the Fury, and they list life as "1.5 hours". However, if you read the fine print, that is "until it falls below 50 lumens".

It is probably regulated for about 20 minutes and then goes into direct-drive and peters out over the next 1.1 hours or so.

I do not think that is optimal for a weapon light. Right now, we are at roughly 300 OTF lumens per hour regulated run-time for 2 CR123's, it seems, with the XP-G LED's, which are more efficient than the XM-L's in the 1.5A and below range.

I experienced this first-hand with my M300A. It is obviously putting out way more than 110 lumens. Looking at the battery life compared to the M600C, it is getting 1.3 hours of "tactical" run-time off of one battery at "110 lumens" compared to only 2 hours from 2 CR123's at 200 lumens for the M600C. Common sense tells us that the M600C cannot be almost twice as bright, considering the run-time is what it is. indeed I think the M300A is closer to 150-170 OTF lumens. Mine dropped out of regulation FAR SOONER than 1.3 hours, for sure, giving me "tactical" lighting (navigation or room-clearing, maybe).

Anyway, all I am saying is that right now, technology/LED efficiency is not there for a 500 lumen 2 CR123 light with more than about a 40 minute run-time at the very best. More likely, 25-30. Dropping down to 300 OTF lumens will get about 1 hour, or so, regulated.

I would rather have 500 lums for 30 minutes than 170 for 4 hours.
Pat

WS6
06-29-12, 22:54
I would rather have 500 lums for 30 minutes than 170 for 4 hours.
Pat

If you want it, its currently available.

Alaskapopo
06-29-12, 22:55
If you want it, its currently available.

I want the x300 ultra from Surefire.

WS6
06-30-12, 00:14
I want the x300 ultra from Surefire.

I would think 800-1000 lumens would be better than 500, but I don't know your application.

Alaskapopo
06-30-12, 00:46
I would think 800-1000 lumens would be better than 500, but I don't know your application.

I like the set up with the X300. I use one on my patrol rifle and one on my duty pistol. Plus I like the fact Surefire stands behind their products and they work.
Pat

WS6
06-30-12, 01:17
I like the set up with the X300. I use one on my patrol rifle and one on my duty pistol. Plus I like the fact Surefire stands behind their products and they work.
Pat

There is a 1000 lumen x300 that has been out for a while now. Very high quality build from oveready. 20 minute run time, shock and thermal protection, etc. Oem quality or better.

Alaskapopo
06-30-12, 05:12
There is a 1000 lumen x300 that has been out for a while now. Very high quality build from oveready. 20 minute run time, shock and thermal protection, etc. Oem quality or better.

I just don't trust off brand companies modifiying another companies product.
Pat

WS6
06-30-12, 05:29
Pat

Understandable considering your job. Really though, an x300 throws about 80% or so as far as an xml with reflector. If surefire can figure out how to use their tir with it, it will be awesome. I don't know if that pill will work with an optic, though.

Alaskapopo
06-30-12, 05:32
Understandable considering your job. Really though, an x300 throws about 80% or so as far as an xml with reflector. If surefire can figure out how to use their tir with it, it will be awesome. I don't know if that pill will work with an optic, though.

I just got burned a while back trying some aftermarket LED bulps for the Surefire 6p series that went bad fast. They were supposed to be way brighter. Since then I have stayed with OEM stuff from them. I have not seen the xml. I will have to look it up. I am just eager to get the X300 ultras.
pat

WS6
06-30-12, 07:04
I just got burned a while back trying some aftermarket LED bulps for the Surefire 6p series that went bad fast. They were supposed to be way brighter. Since then I have stayed with OEM stuff from them. I have not seen the xml. I will have to look it up. I am just eager to get the X300 ultras.
pat

Oveready, nailbender, malkoff, etc. Are not typical junk led stuff. If you have a 6p, please pm me.

bzdog
06-30-12, 11:15
Oveready, nailbender, malkoff, etc. Are not typical junk led stuff.

Agree, these are quality. Make sure you request the "potted" option for firearms applications when ordering from Nailbender.

-john

JBecker 72
06-30-12, 11:32
Where is the damn X300 compact? :mad:

WS6
06-30-12, 17:47
Agree, these are quality. Make sure you request the "potted" option for firearms applications when ordering from Nailbender.

-john

I always do. I have many of his modules, so far my favorite is a Nichia 219 fully potted 3-mode run on 5%/30%/100% modes, max 1.7A. It puts out about 250 lumens OTF and the color rendition is amazing. 92CRI with a 4500K tint. It looks nearly identical to 9am springtime sunlight.

fail wagon
08-02-12, 01:18
Pat

+1234

Seventhsword
11-17-12, 07:46
I know what I want for Christmas..:D

mikelowrey
11-17-12, 23:03
All of their new products are awesome, It just price is too high and this economy is hard to shell out that amount. I do understand they are worth it.

Alaskapopo
11-18-12, 00:06
I got 2 x300 Ultras and love them. One on my patrol rifle and one on my pistol. I have a Fury mounted on my patrol shotgun. Very happy with the 500 lumin output.
Pat

topslop1
11-19-12, 15:53
Wonder when the scout lights will get upgraded.

ZGXtreme
11-19-12, 16:02
Be interested to see if the X300 Mini is revisited. Would also like to see the X300 be the next product to get the tan treatment.

jonconsiglio
11-19-12, 18:17
Wonder when the scout lights will get upgraded.

By February

JBecker 72
11-19-12, 19:45
By February

Awesome! Can't wait for a 200 lumen M300 and a 500 lumen M600.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

topslop1
11-19-12, 20:21
Awesome! Can't wait for a 200 lumen M300 and a 500 lumen M600.

Woah.. So is this just a 'head unit' upgrade? I've already got an M600..would I be able to swap out the heads and get the benefit that way? How expensive do you think this kind of upgrade would be if even possible?

JBecker 72
11-19-12, 20:44
Not sure, but I'm hoping the 200 lumen M300 head will be available so I can update my 110 lumen version.

Alaskapopo
11-19-12, 20:48
Not sure, but I'm hoping the 200 lumen M300 head will be available so I can update my 110 lumen version.

You can't remove that head at least if you can your a lot stronger than I am.
Pat

masakari
11-19-12, 21:12
I just pre-ordered an EB1... with the same specs as my LX2 in a super compact package, im very excited.

JBecker 72
11-19-12, 21:15
You can't remove that head at least if you can your a lot stronger than I am.
Pat

The head on the M300 comes right off ,that's how you change the battery. Removing the tailcap does nothing other than let you switch between the button and pressure switch versions. The M600 is the same.

However I can't budge an X300 head.

jonconsiglio
11-20-12, 22:23
Yes, you'll be able to upgrade the heads on the M300 and M600 Scout lights...

topslop1
11-20-12, 22:26
Yes, you'll be able to upgrade the heads on the M300 and M600 Scout lights...

$150 heads / upgrade ? I was estimating that it would be at least $150.. well because it's Surefire and all...

jonconsiglio
11-21-12, 00:10
Not sure, but I'm sure the price will be similar to buying a scout head now...

Alaskapopo
11-21-12, 04:08
The head on the M300 comes right off ,that's how you change the battery. Removing the tailcap does nothing other than let you switch between the button and pressure switch versions. The M600 is the same.

However I can't budge an X300 head.

Dang my bad was thinking of the X300.
Pat

Pax
11-21-12, 17:07
Agree, agree. X300 Ultra is a great advent to the available options.

Now will someone PLEASE machine up a simple little tailcap, Surefire, any aftermarket guys- I dont care, that I can swap the rocker switch out for? It just pops on there, would be ridiculously easy for the end user to install and seriously improve ease and reliability of use. I want push-button like on any other Surefire, or even an Inforce-style button just on an X300.

justlikeanyoneelse
11-21-12, 17:45
I have been waiting and watching for the new scout lights ever since Surefire unveiled them.

bleaman225
11-21-12, 21:19
Now will someone PLEASE machine up a simple little tailcap, Surefire, any aftermarket guys- I dont care, that I can swap the rocker switch out for? It just pops on there, would be ridiculously easy for the end user to install and seriously improve ease and reliability of use. I want push-button like on any other Surefire, or even an Inforce-style button just on an X300.

Best idea I've heard of in awhile!

orionz06
11-21-12, 21:53

I have actually been working on this...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

patriot_man
01-08-13, 02:16
Anyone know what happened to the M300V? :confused: I'm guessing it's on the back burner now.

RyanB
01-08-13, 02:51

YES YES YES

patriot_man
01-08-13, 03:57
On the topic of the back plate for the X300, I have been playing around with the idea trying to integrate a Surefire push cap found on the scout lights into a new back plate for the X300. Hopefully once I get an X300 Ultra (waiting on LAPG to restock) I can get started on it.

Shao
01-08-13, 08:33
In case anyone is wondering, the new 500 lumen Surefire lights are using CREE XM-L LEDs - very efficient and very bright, however, the size of the LED die itself is much larger than legacy LEDs, so while overall output will be increased, you should expect more of a flood light than a beam. I have many 500-1000 lumen lights and my E2DL still has better range than any of them. Heck, my 6 year old Tiablo A9 probably has at least triple the range. So take this into consideration before you run out and buy the latest and greatest - you may be able to make it out to the same distance as a 200 lumen light with a tighter optic/LED, but most of those 500 lumens are going to be spread all around you instead of directly in front of you. For close-range outdoor night shooting, the new lights would seem ideal - indoors - maybe too bright. If you want to illuminate something out to 100+ yards, you're not going to notice much difference and may even take a performance hit.