PDA

View Full Version : Huacabee's stand on Gun Control?

toddackerman
12-13-07, 19:53
Anyone have the facts on his 2nd Amendment position. I'm liking this guy more and more everyday, and believe he's probably the ONLY chance we have to win....as long as he doesn't step on his "Johnson" or someone turns up some very "Bad Stuff" on him.

BTW...I know I made a typo on the header, but don't know how to edit it.

Bulldog1967
12-13-07, 19:55
Do you like high taxes?

Link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_pLOC4krZI4)

toddackerman
12-13-07, 19:59
Do you like high taxes?

Better than I like not having my toys.

Someone has to pay for all the things we enjoy, and no one has adjusted the budget to accommodate for this. No one! It's pretty simple...."You play, you pay". Until someone can, and does put the proper controls on spending, there's only one other answer...the debt has to be paid for somwhow.

BushmasterFanBoy
12-13-07, 20:09
Better than I like not having my toys.

Someone has to pay for all the things we enjoy, and no one has adjusted the budget to accommodate for this. No one! It's pretty simple...."You play, you pay". Until someone can, and does put the proper controls on spending, there's only one other answer...the debt has to be paid for somwhow.

The key is to do without those things. They aren't needed. For many of us, we don't "enjoy" a damn thing that our money is stolen for. I find it atrocious that my fellow Americans are compromising with their own freedom, and this is the gun owning community, the supposed heart of pro-liberty zeal. The free market is the best foundation for freedom, until we realize that the goal is to be more free and shed off those programs, we will all have higher taxes, less liberty, and more government intrusion into our lives.

Not an inch is should be compromised. If the choice is vote for less individual freedom and no individual freedom, don't vote. I'd rather remember staying out of a sordid affair than picking the "lesser of two evils".

Hersh
12-13-07, 20:59
It looks like our former Governor is GTG. http://gunowners.org/pres08/huckabee.htm and he also admits to having an AR CCW permit.

His son also had a permit until he forgot his Glock going through airport security http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2007/apr/26/huckabee-son-arrested-airport-pistol-carry--bag/

toddackerman
12-13-07, 21:23
It looks like our former Governor is GTG. http://gunowners.org/pres08/huckabee.htm and he also admits to having an AR CCW permit.

His son also had a permit until he forgot his Glock going through airport security http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2007/apr/26/huckabee-son-arrested-airport-pistol-carry--bag/

Thanks Hersch for sticking with the topic. My question is answered.

Business_Casual
12-13-07, 22:03
Huckabuck is a paternalist - he knows what is best for you even if you don't. And, in his opinion, you don't.

I predict he will fade. I think the media is on a pump and dump crusade with him, just like they did with McCain. You remember the "Straight Talk Express" don't you? The media thinks the best Republican is the one most easily defeated.

M_P

toddackerman
12-13-07, 22:11
Huckabuck is a paternalist - he knows what is best for you even if you don't. And, in his opinion, you don't.

I predict he will fade. I think the media is on a pump and dump crusade with him, just like they did with McCain. You remember the "Straight Talk Express" don't you? The media thinks the best Republican is the one most easily defeated.

M_P

Well I hope that the next President does know what's best for all of us. Isn't that one of the reasons why they get elected in the first place? To protect our best interest?

From what I have seen from Hersch's post, Huckabee is definitely on our side regarding 2nd amendment rights. What other Republican has any chance of winning against the Democrats? Every election is choosing the lesser of evils, and this is the best example of this that I have seen in my 51 years of sucking O2.

Leonidas
12-13-07, 22:22
Well I hope that the next President does know what's best for all of us. Isn't that one of the reasons why they get elected in the first place? To protect our best interest?

They should be elected to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That is what they are sworn in to do. How can anyone collectively know what is best for "us". There is only one candidate that has an almost flawless record regarding the Constitution, and I don't see that as voting for an evil.

Business_Casual
12-13-07, 22:57
http://www.freeliberal.com/blog/archives/002972.php

Is that paternalistic enough for you, friend? ;)

M_P

Patrick Aherne
12-14-07, 00:25
He will be the Republican version of Jimmy carter; nice guy but completely out of his depth in regards to foriegn policy.

jswanson
12-14-07, 01:11
Other candidates have supported banning assault weapons. When the federal ban on assault weapons expired in 2004, I said, "May it rest in peace." It won't be returning in the Huckabee Administration.
Zealously protecting your Second Amendment rights is another way that I will lift all law-abiding Americans up, by consistently championing your right to defend yourself. - Mike Huckabee

nuff said... ;)

Here is what's going to happen if a Democrat wins the White House... Higher Taxes and we lose our Toys.

Bulldog1967
12-14-07, 09:06
Huckabee isn't perfect but he's the best thing going. His Second Amendment stance is the strongest out there and is fully equal to Ron Paul. He favors no gun control. Huckabee has stated flat out, with no minced words, that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting, it's about our God given right to defend ourselves from tyranny.

Unlike other candidates who dress up, go goose hunting, say they are "pro-gun", and support our "right to hunt", Huckabee specifically supports the right to put a pistol on your hip and an assault rifle in your house.

With all due respect, Dave, you are also leaving out, IMO Fred Thompson, who is also as solid as ANY of those 2 mentioned, and CAN win this one:

"• On the Second Amendment —"If you care about constitutional law, and everybody should, the big news is that it looks as if the Supreme Court is going to hear a Second Amendment case some time next year. The event that sparked this legal fuse was a case brought by six D.C. residents who simply wanted functional firearms in their homes for self-defense. In response, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit struck down the District’s 31-year-old gun ban — one of the strictest in the nation.

Our individual right to keep and bear arms, as guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, may finally be confirmed by the high Court; but this means that we’re going to see increasing pressure on the Supreme Court from anti-gun rights activists who want the Constitution reinterpreted to fit their prejudices."

• On the Virginia Tech nightmare — "Virginia, like 39 other states, allows citizens with training and legal permits to carry concealed weapons. That means that Virginians regularly sit in movie theaters and eat in restaurants among armed citizens. They walk, joke and rub shoulders everyday with people who responsibly carry firearms -- and are far safer than they would be in San Francisco, Oakland, Detroit, Chicago, New York City, or Washington, D.C., where such permits are difficult or impossible to obtain.

The statistics are clear. Communities that recognize and grant Second Amendment rights to responsible adults have a significantly lower incidence of violent crime than those that do not. More to the point, incarcerated criminals tell criminologists that they consider local gun laws when they decide what sort of crime they will commit, and where they will do so."

• On gun control — Thompson opposes gun control, praising a recent federal appeals decision overturning a long-standing handgun ban in Washington, D.C.: "The court basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that."

• His voting record:

Voted NO on background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted NO on more penalties for gun & drug violations. (May 1999)
Voted YES on loosening license & background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted YES on maintaining current law: guns sold without trigger locks. (Jul 1998)
Voted NO on $1.15 billion per year to continue the COPS program. (May 1999)
Voted YES on limiting death penalty appeals. (Apr 1996)
Voted YES on limiting product liability punitive damage awards. (Mar 1996)
Voted YES on restricting class-action lawsuits. (Dec 1995)
Voted YES on repealing federal speed limits. (Jun 1995)
Voted YES on increasing penalties for drug offenses. (Nov 1999)
Voted YES on spending international development funds on drug control. (Jul 1996)
Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)
Voted NO on loosening restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. (Oct 2001)
Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)
Voted NO on setting aside 10% of highway funds for minorities & women. (Mar 1998)
Voted NO on ending special funding for minority & women-owned business. (Oct 1997)
Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)
Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)
Voted YES on Amendment to prohibit flag burning. (Dec 1995)
Voted NO on banning affirmative action hiring with federal funds. (Jul 1995)
Voted YES on authorizing use of military force against Iraq. (Oct 2002)
Voted YES on allowing all necessary force in Kosovo. (May 1999)
Voted NO on authorizing air strikes in Kosovo. (Mar 1999)
Voted YES on ending the Bosnian arms embargo. (Jul 1995)

• Gun Owners of America ratings — "He has no need to convince voters that he has changed his ways and now sees the light, because he has been fairly consistent throughout his career."

Remember911
12-14-07, 13:13
Huckabee A big YES !!!!!

C4IGrant
12-14-07, 13:46
Anyone have the facts on his 2nd Amendment position. I'm liking this guy more and more everyday, and believe he's probably the ONLY chance we have to win....as long as he doesn't step on his "Johnson" or someone turns up some very "Bad Stuff" on him.

BTW...I know I made a typo on the header, but don't know how to edit it.

He is VERY pro-gun and is one of the few (if not the only one) Governors to have his CCW license!!!

He wants to lower taxes and has actually said that he would like to abolish the IRS and go to a flat tax on consumables (PRAISE JESUS)!

He is a morale man with principles (hard to find these days).

To give you an idea how much we (wife and I) like him, we made our very first monetary donation to his campaign.

C4

C4IGrant
12-14-07, 13:47
Do you like high taxes?

The people in his state actually voted to up taxes. It was not his idea.

I have no problem with this. If people want to pay more taxes in order get roads repaired and such, then that is fine.

C4

markm
12-14-07, 13:49
Are we talking about the same Huckabee who granted more pardons than the Clinton administration?

Maybe I only heard half of the story.... but I thought I heard that this guy was responsible for cutting a shit load of bad dudes loose.... some of which went on to kill or rape.

We are going to need our weapons if this guy keeps his policy of turning violent offenders loose. :eek:

C4IGrant
12-14-07, 13:50
He will be the Republican version of Jimmy carter; nice guy but completely out of his depth in regards to foriegn policy.

Both of our last two Presidents came from the same background as Mike H.

I think he will do just fine and really don't think foreign policy even matters as everyone hates us anyway.

C4

C4IGrant
12-14-07, 13:55
Are we talking about the same Huckabee who granted more pardons than the Clinton administration?

Maybe I only heard half of the story.... but I thought I heard that this guy was responsible for cutting a shit load of bad dudes loose.... some of which went on to kill or rape.

We are going to need our weapons if this guy keeps his policy of turning violent offenders loose. :eek:

Yes. He also killed 16 people. Remember that the majority of those parduns were setup PRIOR to him coming into office.

You have heard what people that want you to hear about him.

If people are up for parole then that is it. You cannot just keep them in jail afte they have served their time.

There is no way that a man that puts to death 16 people can viewed as "weak" on crime.

C4

Dave L.
12-14-07, 14:06
I'm voting for Huckabee!

markm
12-14-07, 14:06
I figgered there was more to the story. I heard it on Hannity though... Not one of the DNC national news outlets. That's the reason I gave it any credibility at all in the first place.

C4IGrant
12-14-07, 14:24
I figgered there was more to the story. I heard it on Hannity though... Not one of the DNC national news outlets. That's the reason I gave it any credibility at all in the first place.

Saw the same thing. They simply regurgitated what Romney had said.

C4

UVvis
12-14-07, 14:30
Not voting for Mike Huckabee might be a bad idea:

Chuck Norris Approved (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUQW8LUMs8)

the1911fan
12-14-07, 14:41
Here's a little something to check out

http://www.ontheissues.org/Gun_Control.htm

Personally I'll withhold my decision until the general election and we're actually voting for the next President ...I will not throw my vote in the toilet voting for ANYONE that has next to NO chance of winning...might as well not vote and for me that is not an option

Another good site to check
http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460

I like Duncan Hunter and Mike Huckabee

toddackerman
12-14-07, 16:35
They should be elected to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That is what they are sworn in to do. How can anyone collectively know what is best for "us". There is only one candidate that has an almost flawless record regarding the Constitution, and I don't see that as voting for an evil.

They are sworn to this with their hand on the Bible taking an oath before God. That being said....

I think there is a lot more "Gray Area" here. Especially the Gray Area in the brain that God gave all Presidents to make those critical decisions by "thinking" before making a decision. There are multiple day to day decisions, some critical, and some mundane that aren't covered in the constitution. Any "Robot" can go to the constitution, read it and say..."That's what I'm going to do". At least with the "Paternal" Huckabee, he's going to tell you BEFORE the election what he thinks is right for all of us, and we will gain greater insight into who he is, and how he might react when tested.

In that vein, you bet I will vote for the person who I believe does have MY best interest, and the best interest of this country at heart regarding National Security, the Economy, Energy, Future Wars, and any Constitutional issues, and can "Think Rationally".

Patrick Aherne
12-14-07, 22:48
Both of our last two Presidents came from the same background as Mike H.

I think he will do just fine and really don't think foreign policy even matters as everyone hates us anyway.

C4

Grant,

You're a sharp guy, research some of the things he did as Arkansas governor as regards Cuba. He is DANGEROUSLY ignorant, or dumb when it comes to foreign policy. As regards whether he is a good man, or not: the shot he took at Mitt Romney (who I cannot stand) about whether Mormons believe Jesus and Satan are brothers, was a vile, low-down, politically advantageous move that speaks of shyster-ism. I don't agree with LDS beliefs, but I would risk my life to defend their right to worship in the way they see fit. Mike Huckabee is a turd for introducing religion into the political mix. There are plenty of reasons to not vote for Mitt Romney, pasting him for his religion was unethical and extremely low-class behavior.

Colt6920
12-14-07, 23:25
[QUOTE=Patrick Aherne;104284]Grant,

You're a sharp guy, research some of the things he did as Arkansas governor as regards Cuba. QUOTE]

Don't be shy, lay it out...

I live in AR and havent heard anything harmful he done regarding Cuba. Who cares about Cuba anyway?

Thompson is not going anywhere. Period. If you want a real pro-gun President elected. I don't see any other choice besides Huck.

Bulldog1967
12-14-07, 23:37
Doesn't seem to worry the DNC much:

DEMS HOLD FIRE ON HUCKABEE; SEE 'EASY KILL' IN GENERAL ELECTION (http://drudgereport.com/flashhu.htm)

Tue Dec 11 2007 10:27:53 ET

**Exclusive**

Democrat party officials are avoiding any and all criticism of Republican presidential contender Mike Huckabee, insiders reveal.

The Democratic National Committee has told staffers to hold all fire, until he secures the party's nomination.

The directive has come down from the highest levels within the party, according to a top source.

Within the DNC, Huckabee is known as the "glass jaw -- and they're just waiting to break it."

In the last three weeks since Huckabee's surge kicked in, the DNC hasn't released a single press release criticizing his rising candidacy.

The last DNC press release critical of Huckabee appeared back on March 2nd.

[DNC Press Release Attack Summary:

Governor Mitt Romney (R-MA) – 37% (99 press releases)
Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY) – 28% (74)
Senator John McCain (R-AZ) – 24% (64)
Senator Fred Thompson (R-TN) – 8% (20)
Governor Mike Huckabee – 2% (4)]

In fact, as the story broke over the weekend that Huckabee said he wanted to isolate AIDS patients back in 1992, the DNC ignored the opportunity to slam the candidate from the left.

"He'll easily be their McGovern, an easy kill," mocked one senior Democrat operative Tuesday morning from Washington.

"His letting out murderers because they shout 'Jesus', his wanting to put 300,000 AIDS patients and Magic Johnson into isolation, ain't even scratching the surface of what we've got on him."

The discipline the Democrats have shown in not engaging Huckabee has earned the praise of one former Republican Party official:

"The Democrats are doing a much better job restraining themselves than the GOP did in 2003 when Howard Dean looked like he was on the brink of winning the nomination."

A close friend to Huckabee explains: "Look, Mike is Hillary Clinton's worst nightmare. They should be squirming."

cdvanns
12-14-07, 23:37
Huckabee looks like someone I may have considered until Bloomberg announces as the 3rd party candidate in 08. I know this guy goes against most everything I normally put value in but I hear he's going to have an encounter with someone that will change his views after he is elected. So they will be electing the same guy they know from N.Y. and there will be great celebration but when he enters into office he will be a new creation with very different views than what they voted for. I just can't figure out who the V.P. will be, maybe Lieberman. Man that would make the jihad boyzz brains explode without explosives.

Business_Casual
12-14-07, 23:58
Let's just face facts, at this point of the Republic we are just looking for the guy or gal who will do the least amount of damage. Jefferson just reached 3,000 rpm in his grave...

M_P

gyp_c2
12-15-07, 07:53
Any "Robot" can go to the constitution, read it and say..."That's what I'm going to do".

...interesting thought...although I can't recall any examples, I'm sure you must have some in mind...hmmm?
http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

C4IGrant
12-15-07, 09:00
Grant,

You're a sharp guy, research some of the things he did as Arkansas governor as regards Cuba. He is DANGEROUSLY ignorant, or dumb when it comes to foreign policy. As regards whether he is a good man, or not: the shot he took at Mitt Romney (who I cannot stand) about whether Mormons believe Jesus and Satan are brothers, was a vile, low-down, politically advantageous move that speaks of shyster-ism. I don't agree with LDS beliefs, but I would risk my life to defend their right to worship in the way they see fit. Mike Huckabee is a turd for introducing religion into the political mix. There are plenty of reasons to not vote for Mitt Romney, pasting him for his religion was unethical and extremely low-class behavior.

Already looked at the Cuba thing. As Gov., he was interested in growing his states economy as they were struggling to sell their crops and Cuba needed food. Seems pretty simply to me. He has stated that as a President, removing the embargo would be stupid.

What I like about the guy is that he knows that while some things would be in great for a State, it would be bad for a country as a whole.

I have heard about the comments he made about Mormons. I think it doesn't have a place in politics. For the record though, Mormons are viewed as a cult by Catholics, Methodists, Baptist, etc, etc.

C4

C4IGrant
12-15-07, 09:12
I think one of the things we often forget when looking at candidate is that they cannot be all things to all people. They also cannot be experts in all fields (like foreign relations). What makes a great president is his ability to HIRE qualified people to run things.

Mike H. recently hired Ronald R.'s campaign manager. This guy said that Mike H. reminds him of Ronald R. the most of ANY Repulblican candidate. This is a strong endorsement.

If you look at a company, there is the CEO/president and then the vice president, etc, etc on down the list. The CEO/president doesn't need to know how to do everything from engineering to marketing to accounting. What he does need to know how to do is to hire good people to perform the tasks. ;)

So what that means is that we need to look at the things that matter most to us and then select the candidate that best fits. For me, the following things are important in a President:

1. God fearing man.
2. Pro Life
3. Will fight terrorists where they live.
4. Close/protect our borders. Two words for you, CHUCK NORRIS!
5. Believes that the 2nd amendment is not about hunting.
6. Wants to cut taxes & or abolish the IRS all together.

Mike H. best fits my reqs. There are other candidates that cover some of the above as well, but Mike appears to be the best choice overall IMHO.

C4

Dave L.
12-15-07, 09:33
1. God fearing man.
2. Pro Life
3. Will fight terrorists where they live.
4. Close/protect our borders. Two words for you, CHUCK NORRIS!
5. Believes that the 2nd amendment is not about hunting.
6. Wants to cut taxes & or abolish the IRS all together.

C4

This pretty much sums up my requirements for a great AMERICAN (and especially President)

....Vice President Norris (I like the sound of that)

Redmanfms
12-15-07, 13:30
Vote for whomever you will......

C4IGrant
12-15-07, 13:33
Huckabee is another GWB, in almost every conceivable way, except that he is pro-gun.

No thanks. No Paul, no Thompson, no vote for the GOP from me.

I have no real issue with GWB so that is a win for me.

Since you don't like any Republican candidate, who do you like???

C4

jmtgsx
12-15-07, 13:51

C4

I can't see a right answer to this one. Where's the popcorn?

Redmanfms
12-15-07, 15:11

C4

I support Paul, Thompson second.

I will now bow out so as to avoid an OT flame war.

Leonidas
12-15-07, 18:59
For the record though, Mormons are viewed as a cult by Catholics, Methodists, Baptist, etc, etc. C4

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I'll try not to be offended by my newly relegated cult membership status :)

Linea_de_Fuego
12-15-07, 19:43
As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I'll try not to be offended by my newly relegated cult membership status :)
I can't speak for others, but I would not read this as saying you are not a good person. It is just that being a good person is no ticket to heaven as I and many others read the Bible. I don't mean to hijack this political thread because being a Christian won't necessarily make a better President although I would hope that it would.

Leonidas
12-16-07, 01:55
Here is Huckabee from a Christian Broadcasting Network interview:

"I'm as strong on terror as anybody. In fact I think I'm stronger than most people because I truly understand the nature of the war that we are in with Islamofascism. These are people that want to kill us. It's a theocratic war. And I don't know if anybody fully understands that. I'm the only guy on that stage with a theology degree. I think I understand it really well."

Besides that fact that Islamofascism is an oxymoron does Huckabee really have a theology degree?

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59222

Remember911
12-16-07, 13:34
I thought is was us the pepole of the USA that made the diff in any election of the next president. So don't set back and let them tell you who should be or should not be the next president of the USA. This Country was found to be free. Just take a good look at what is said by the canidates and look at what they stand for.

C4IGrant
12-16-07, 15:29

As much as I would like to get into a religious discussion, this forum is not the best place for it.

It is not my place to judge what people do with their lives and nor shall I. My comments are simply pointing out how other religions view Mormons.

Some reading for those that believe what I am saying is made up:

http://www.gotquestions.org/Mormons.html

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/mormon.htm

http://www.eaec.org/cults/mormons.htm

http://mormoncult.org/

There are more websites that I could link, but I think everyone gets the picture.

C4

C4IGrant
12-16-07, 15:30
I can't speak for others, but I would not read this as saying you are not a good person. It is just that being a good person is no ticket to heaven as I and many others read the Bible. I don't mean to hijack this political thread because being a Christian won't necessarily make a better President although I would hope that it would.

Leonidas is a good guy, good customer and consider him a friend. I would never judge him for what he believes.

C4

Linea_de_Fuego
12-16-07, 16:44
Leonidas is a good guy, good customer and consider him a friend. I would never judge him for what he believes.

C4

I expected that he was too! One of the hallmarks of this site is the quality of the people associated with it and of those who post in it.

C4IGrant
12-16-07, 16:49
I expected that he was too! One of the hallmarks of this site is the quality of the people associated with it and of those who post in it.

He could believe that Satan is a good guy and I would still respect his right to choose what is best for him (might have a little talk with him though). :D

This forum is full of people that are helpful, honest and just plain know their chit. This is why we call it home.;)

C4

Leonidas
12-16-07, 18:09
I thought is was us the pepole of the USA that made the diff in any election of the next president. .

Actually, it is my understanding that the founders of this country wanted to eliminate the evils of democracy as much as possible, that is why we have the electoral college to elect the president. A concept that is sadly misunderstood these days.

Leonidas
12-16-07, 18:24
Leonidas is a good guy, good customer and consider him a friend. I would never judge him for what he believes. C4

Likewise. Of course no offense was even considered and hopefully none taken. Just having a little levity with an earlier comment. Plus Grant gets an honorary free pass for installing a front sight on my M&P45 without the benefit of a steam locomotive and for carrying a fine Mormon firearm on his hip. :D

C4IGrant
12-16-07, 18:35
Likewise. Of course no offense was even considered and hopefully none taken. Just having a little levity with an earlier comment. Plus Grant gets an honorary free pass for installing a front sight on my M&P45 without the benefit of a steam locomotive and for carrying a fine Mormon firearm on his hip. :D

Now here is where things get interesting. Knowing what faith you follow, I find it interesting that you have a Ron Paul sticker on your car. Please tell us why you chose him over Romney.

C4

Leonidas
12-16-07, 20:21
Now here is where things get interesting. Knowing what faith you follow, I find it interesting that you have a Ron Paul sticker on your car. Please tell us why you chose him over Romney. C4

Latter-day Saints believe that the Constitution is an inspired document. As such it is our responsibility to seek out candidates that honor and uphold that document. It is my opinion that Ron Paul does that better than any other candidate. The majority of Mitt Romney's positions do not pass the Constitutional muster IMHO. Sadly I'm a little embarrassed by Romney and Harry Reid.

In a online magazine geared towards Latter-day Saints they held an online pole and Ron Paul took the majority of votes. http://www.ldsmag.com/pollmentor/results.html
It has also been my experience that most LDS I am in contact with support Ron Paul. Of course the news only gives coverage to those who support Romney.

J. Reuben Clark, Jr.(a now deceased Apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), put it well when he said: 'God provided that in this land of liberty, our political allegiance shall not run to individuals ... our allegiance and the only allegiance we owe as citizens ... of the United States, runs to our inspired Constitution which God himself set up ... This principle of allegiance to the Constitution is basic to our freedom. It is one of the great principles that distinguishes this 'land of liberty' from other countries.' (Improvement Era, July, 1940, p. 444.)"

And from Gordon B. Hinckley the current President and Prophet of the Church
"There were men whom the God of Heaven had raised up who saw with a greater vision and dreamed a better and more inspired dream. On May 14, 1787, fifty-five of them met in Philadelphia. The heat of that summer was oppressive, the worst in the memory of man. There were differences of opinion, sharp and deep and bitter. But somehow, under the inspiration of the Almighty, there was forged the Constitution of the United States. On September 17, 1787, thirty-nine of the fifty-five signed the document. It began with these remarkable words:
"We, the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquillity, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United States of America.
Of it, the great Gladstone said: "As the British Constitution is the most subtle organism which has proceeded from progressive history, so the American Constitution is the most wonderful work ever struck off at a given time by the brain and purpose of man."
It is the keystone of our nation. It is my faith and my conviction that it came not alone of the brain and purpose of man, but of the inspiration of God, for He Himself has declared, "I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, . . . for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles; that every man may act in doctrine and principle . . . according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment." [D&C 101:80, 77-78.]
America was born of that miracle. (National Advisory Council of BYU College of Business, November 2, 1973.)

Remember911
12-16-07, 21:02
Check out Mike Huckabee's website you can check for yourself what he stands for. www.mikehuckabee.com.

Joe R.
12-16-07, 21:22
Actually, it is my understanding that the founders of this country wanted to eliminate the evils of democracy as much as possible, that is why we have the electoral college to elect the president. A concept that is sadly misunderstood these days.

You have hit the nail square on the head. Somewhere along the line the people of this country were led to believe that it was created as a democracy rather then a constitutional republic...and things have been going downhill since.