PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angel med kit.

duece71
01-17-12, 11:36
This is from the Costa Ludis site. I have not priced individual kit items to see if it would be cheaper to make a kit like this on my own.
Thoughts please......GO!

http://www.costaludus.com/shop/cart.cfm?cmd=view.item&tcat=2&scat=1005&productid=138

chuckman
01-18-12, 14:37
You can build the kit cheaper. MUCH cheaper.

Moltke
01-18-12, 14:43
Does it come with a Jessica Alba poster?

streck
01-18-12, 14:57
It also comes with a pair of 7.5” trauma shears with black oxide blades and coyote tan handles.

That has to be a $50 option right there.....:neo:

ST911
01-18-12, 16:04
The kit has a good packing list and will be useful.

As for the price... There are ways to do it much more cost efficiently. However, it's multicam, it's associated with Costa, and it has "trauma shears with black oxide blades and coyote tan handles." It will sell.

I'd like to see more of the pouch. It looks very size efficient for the role.

SeriousStudent
01-18-12, 18:12
I'd be interested in purchasing one of the pouches by itself from Eggroll. I wonder if the licensing agreement will allow it?

PlatoCATM
01-18-12, 19:34
The pouch is nice, but not $75 nice...I thought I recognized EGL.

I'm guessing their source for the shears is countycomm, and they are much better than the standard option they carry, but I don't know how much that's saying.

francobx22
01-19-12, 20:46
The kit has a good packing list and will be useful.

As for the price... There are ways to do it much more cost efficiently. However, it's multicam, it's associated with Costa, and it has "trauma shears with black oxide blades and coyote tan handles." It will sell.

I'd like to see more of the pouch. It looks very size efficient for the role.

I agree because its assosicated with Mr Costa the price has been marked up, also the only way to get the pouch right now is by buying the whole kit :(

The pouch is nice from the looks of it, a similar kit can be bought for cheaper but if u want the nice pouch it is what it is :)

sgtjosh
01-19-12, 22:35
The HSGI bleeder pouch (http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-MBP) looks to be just as functional.

SeriousStudent
01-19-12, 22:48
The HSGI bleeder pouch (http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-MBP) looks to be just as functional.

I do have one of those. It is about the same size, but I have to "daisy chain" the supplies together in order to deploy them quickly, and not send gear flying all over creation.

It is well made, and I like it.

TN_Warrior
01-20-12, 05:51
Looks like a good kit. However seems like you are paying for convenience. Reminds me of the NAR kits. Those are expensive!

jsummers
01-20-12, 08:31
The pouch is nice, but not $75 nice...I thought I recognized EGL.

You have to pay the EGL premium prices, no matter how simple or easy the pouch.

wilco423
01-20-12, 09:03
Looks like the pouch is $30 on EGL's Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/extremegearlabs?sk=wall) page. He makes another one with a double pistol front for $45.

Titleist
01-20-12, 10:51
Looks like a good kit. However seems like you are paying for convenience. Reminds me of the NAR kits. Those are expensive!

BINGO!

Also there is no markup because of Costa's involvement. This is the SAME price Kerry @ Dark Angel charges. Chris is just helping Kerry to push these kits. And I've yet to find a kit nearly as low profile as this.

It boggles my mind when people scoff over the cost of a med kit (which more often than not people lack training on anyways) but have NO qualms about putting the latest whiz bang bullshit doodad on their gun.

Anyways, I couldn't be happier with mine, and it allows me to throw away a lot of previous IFAKs that were the size of lunch boxes:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6698414117_ff1be3d925_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6698414317_fe041bea01_b.jpg

duece71
01-20-12, 20:08
The kit caught my eye, (which is why I wanted all of you to look at it). I think I am going to keep looking for now. Is it me or does this kit look to be about the size of a double AR mag pouch? Would a "tray" (I can't remember who makes them without an exhaustive search) type system work better for sticking with the double AR pouch size be good?? For some reason the pics I have seen can't give me a good sizing perspective between the kit and and the mentioned pouch. FWIW, I already have an Endom double AR mag pouch that doesn't have a home anywhere yet.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Titleist
01-20-12, 20:26
You do know as an alternative to the pouch you could buy the DARK medical kit without the pouch by buying the refill kit.

Sigfan
01-21-12, 00:53
I have this tray, it will fit in a double, but works great in a triple. Not sure if it was the tray kit you were thinking of.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/medtray.html

chuckman
01-21-12, 06:44
It boggles my mind when people scoff over the cost of a med kit (which more often than not people lack training on anyways) but have NO qualms about putting the latest whiz bang bullshit doodad on their gun.

Generally I agree, but people should scoff over a 1000% mark-up. I say this specifically about the items, not the pouch, but assuming you pay $50 for the items, you are still looking at a over $100 for a MEDICAL pouch.

Edited to add, it is capitalism at its finest, and I ain't gonna bust a brother's balls if he can get away making extra scratch if he can.

ST911
01-21-12, 12:43
If they can make money, good for them. The kit contents are GTG.
EGL pouches are known-good. Folks should have a FAK/BOK of some flavor. Whatever the motivation of the buyer or the effect of marketing, if it puts more kits in peoples hands, that's a good outcome.

duece71
01-21-12, 14:06
I have this tray, it will fit in a double, but works great in a triple. Not sure if it was the tray kit you were thinking of.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/medtray.html

Yep, thats the one. Their website says the tray will fit into a double mag pouch. The Dark Angel kit looks about as wide as 2 AR mags. I like the tray idea but for now I will keep looking. BTW, who makes a triple AR pouch??

chuckman
01-21-12, 15:19
If they can make money, good for them. The kit contents are GTG.
EGL pouches are known-good. Folks should have a FAK/BOK of some flavor. Whatever the motivation of the buyer or the effect of marketing, if it puts more kits in peoples hands, that's a good outcome.

Caveat emptor and all, I am the last person to tell a person what to buy. Oh, I'll make recommendations and all, but at the end of the day is this particular med kit THAT much better than, say, a USGI $50 IFAK? I hope they make a buck and can turn a profit; I am always for making money.

I too would like to see more shooters become medically proficient and I whole-heartedly agree that more shooters should have decent med training and med kits, but I just think that a very basic IFAK at this price isn't going to put more kits into more hands....quite the contrary, I think people will see the price tag and go to eBay for their stuff, which NOBODY wants. Someone's name on the package doesn't make a $75 kit worth $175.

I edited to say that prima fascie this appears to be solid stuff; I would rather see someone buy this and know they are getting quality than to spend a third or half the price for suspect supplies.

SteveL
01-21-12, 16:57
I'm guessing their source for the shears is countycomm, and they are much better than the standard option they carry, but I don't know how much that's saying.

I've started to buy a pair of shears from them on a couple of occasions, but I can't bring myself to pay more for shipping than for the item I'm buying.

PlatoCATM
01-21-12, 23:02
I've started to buy a pair of shears from them on a couple of occasions, but I can't bring myself to pay more for shipping than for the item I'm buying.

I hear you. The uniqueness of some of their items, however, will lead me to make a large enough purchase to justify the b.s. shipping charges.

SteveL
01-22-12, 05:10
I hear you. The uniqueness of some of their items, however, will lead me to make a large enough purchase to justify the b.s. shipping charges.

Yeah I could see where a larger order would make it more worthwhile.

drsal
01-22-12, 06:49
All the items priced individually range from $35 for the CAT to $15 for the HALO $40-$45 for the combat gauze, in total about (including the other items) $120-$140, so at $170 for one stop shopping, about $30 extra is not that big a deal for the convenience. I'd add a $3.00 roll of small duct tape too.

chuckman
01-22-12, 08:22
All the items priced individually range from $35 for the CAT to $15 for the HALO $40-$45 for the combat gauze, in total about (including the other items) $120-$140, so at $170 for one stop shopping, about $30 extra is not that big a deal for the convenience. I'd add a $3.00 roll of small duct tape too.

If you shop right you can get all of the stocked items for under $75.

eggroll
01-24-12, 15:34
Wow... Such furious anger and gnashing of teeth over an IFAK offering. :D

A few things in answering to this thread (as I shake off the cobwebs from being so inactive here)

A) show me where you can get QuikClot Gauze LE for 25.00 per unit

B) do piece together your own, nothing stopping you from doing so

C) fyi the DARK pouches are not 75.00 or 100.00 each ;) not even half or third that

D) relax and dont forget your towel ;) what you dont take into consideration is the overhead cost of dealing with suppliers, kit assemblage, tertiary shipping, paying to cover "other" items. Essentially the costs behind the scenes. Business is like that especially if you are offering a service that combines components from multiple sources to provide a "one-stop" convenience item

MSteele
01-24-12, 17:55
I have searched and can't seem to find the pouch for sale separately, anyone know where to get it?

duece71
01-24-12, 18:32
I have searched and can't seem to find the pouch for sale separately, anyone know where to get it?

Agreed, where can one find this pouch??

MSteele
01-24-12, 19:05
Just heard back from Eggroll and the pouch is exclusive to the DARK kit as it will only hold the vacuum sealed pouch as a whole. It was not designed to hold the individual items and is not for sale separately. He stated that he has another pouch on his facebook page that will hold the individual items.
www.facebook.com/extremegearlabs

eggroll
01-24-12, 20:10
Just heard back from Eggroll and the pouch is exclusive to the DARK kit as it will only hold the vacuum sealed pouch as a whole. It was not designed to hold the individual items and is not for sale separately. He stated that he has another pouch on his facebook page that will hold the individual items.
www.facebook.com/extremegearlabs

Just to clarify, the pouch is design to carry, retain and protect the vacuum shrunk DARK kit pack as a "by exception use only" unit for once the kit is deployed and opened the components will no longer fit... But consider the situation, that requires its deployment, "repacking" is not tops on priority

A tidbit for thought

MIKE G
01-24-12, 20:46
Cat Tourniquet $10-$25
Halo Occlusive Dressing $25
combat gauze $25
Shears $4
NPA $3
Gauze $.50
Gloves box of 100 for $9 at harbor frieght (and their nitrile)
4" izzy $6 max

There is no way i'd pay $75 for that pouch. Hell even SOE's full sized tear off med pouch is $85 and it holds WAY more than that and i guarantee the build quality is better. Even the new pouch from Zulu/Its tactical isn't even that pricey

Your pricing for the CAT, Plain Gauze (of that spec/H&H vacuum sealed Primed) and Combat Gauze are representative of those at sources that are sourcing from avenues other than the manufacturer i.e. surplus or stolen. As a dealer who sources stock from manufacturers only and has confirmed that even by purchasing at the deepest discounts for high quantities doesn't even come close to those prices.

I have no dog in the fight in regards to this pouch and kit BUT it really annoys me when people assume that a company is price gouging by simply sourcing through the proper channels (not stolen), respecting Minimum Advertised Pricing set by manufacturers, and charging a respectable mark up that allows businesses to exist longer than the expiration on a website address or paypal violations, etc.

ETA-If you don't have an issue purchasing stolen equipment because it saves you a dollar, at least don't bad mouth the companies that refuse to budge on their ethics and sell gear with a verifiable chain of supply.

hal_5555
02-04-12, 20:19
Im not gonna dog pile or anything but I really have to agree here with the pricing of the pouch and kit inside.

This is possibly one of the best deals for what comes included. The only time I have ever seen stuff cheaper is as Mike said; through other channels/surplus. I get this stuff from the Army and its more expensive for our kits direct GSA price/NSN order.

I would place faith in the quality of this kit too. When your bleeding out, you want the best.

drsal
02-04-12, 21:28
A similar pouch can be purchased for about $28-30 from HSGI, also AustereProvisions.com sells the EAG ifak kit which contains almost all the same items; have no relation to Austere Provisions, other than being an extremely satisfied customer !

mattg1024
08-16-13, 08:27
Yes I know this thread is over a year old, but it seems to have alot of good info and didn't want to start another just for a simple question.

I know this is a sealed kit, but would there be any harm in unsealing it and still keeping it for use?
I'd really hate to buy it, attach it to my belt and then not know where things are in it during a situation. Would be nice to open and play with it before hand.
Does that kind of ruin the purpose though?

NeoNeanderthal
08-16-13, 08:52
Yes I know this thread is over a year old, but it seems to have alot of good info and didn't want to start another just for a simple question.

I know this is a sealed kit, but would there be any harm in unsealing it and still keeping it for use?
I'd really hate to buy it, attach it to my belt and then not know where things are in it during a situation. Would be nice to open and play with it before hand.
Does that kind of ruin the purpose though?

No, the purpose as i understand it is for people who cant skillfully select every item of their own kit. One stop shop, as they say. This way they insure they have a good kit.

If you get it home and open it up. The only thing you lose is some water proofing. You dont have a food saver?? If you know someone who does you can repackage it in a different shape or add a few or take out a few items and reseal.

For instance i have an ITS med kit and will be getting just the pouch from Dark Angel. So ill have to unpack and repackage my ITS kit to fit. If theres room ill add extra gloves, duck tape, and a swat-t. Ill probably take out the mojodart and have it inside the pouch but not the plastic.

Edit to add:I should note that one of the benefits of a vacuum sealed kit within a pouch is that you can reach back, and pull your entire kit from your pouch and have it to work with. (As opposed to pulling each item individually from a kit thats hard to get to.) Medics tend to prefer to have individual items so they dont have to open an entire kit, and everything is easy access as they need it. But their kits are usually more easily accessed vs an IFAK. Just something to think about.