PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about this class......

duece71
01-17-12, 11:42
This looks like a basic to comprehensive class. It is close to me and am thinking about getting my wife to go with me. I still have to check to see if I am off work. Any thoughts would be helpful. I am just trying to increase my knowledge of the basics and I am fairly sure this class would be able to cover it.
Thanks.

http://www.prnmed.com/

chuckman
01-18-12, 14:35
Setting bones, cleaning woulds, and suturing? I am dubious this is truly geared to non-medical personnel. State of the art Navy care? That would be TCCC, that's about as state of the art trauma care in the Navy gets. I would want to know more before I attended, but that's me. If you think it is a value and information you can use (aside from setting bones, debriding wounds and suturing), for it.

duece71
01-20-12, 20:10
Yes, I am going to send an email for more info. I may not be able to get off from work so it may be all for naught anyway.

montanadave
01-20-12, 21:14
I just glanced over the course curriculum and that is A LOT of material and skills training to pack into a three day course.

Like I've done the whole EMT trip and have a 4-year nursing degree and we didn't get into half of the shit they're talking about.

I think they may be overselling the course... just a tad. :smile:

But, hey, whatta I know? Maybe they can jack you into the mainframe like Neo in The Matrix.

Alexx
02-02-12, 14:25
This looks like a basic to comprehensive class. It is close to me and am thinking about getting my wife to go with me. I still have to check to see if I am off work. Any thoughts would be helpful. I am just trying to increase my knowledge of the basics and I am fairly sure this class would be able to cover it.
Thanks.

http://www.prnmed.com/

Smart idea to have basic knowledge in first aid and CPR (http://www.ncprc.com), I think full blown EMS classes are to much for me since not in the health care industry. This web site has lots of good info on BLS and sample pages are free. Check it out www.ncprc.com it may come of good use.

digdug18
02-09-12, 22:19
you really would be better off with a first responder or EMT class, they have night and weekend courses as well.

if you join a volunteer ambulance squad or fire department, they'll pay for the class as well.

Z71Silverado09
03-06-12, 19:11
any kind of education is worth it IMO

lethal dose
03-06-12, 19:38
there is no way you're going to get the know-how from a three day course. there are a lot of things to consider when practicing medicine... 99% of which can NOT be taught in that short amount of time... not to mention the lawsuits that would follow after performing something like that.

thirteen/autumns
03-07-12, 07:11
double post

thirteen/autumns
03-07-12, 07:14
I am all for taking classes and learning, even if you have no medical skills and/or knowledge in the field (just be sure not to practice) but this PRNMED seems alittle "sketchy." Just some things I noticed that stand out in my opinion...

1. David C. Turner, PRNMED Director and Lead Instructor... Highest level of cert he holds is a EMT/LPN??? And he is lead instructor?

2. Chuck Fenwick, Medical Corps Director and Founder... Not sure about the USN numbers but just seeing Air Force: Medic brings up a red flag for me being in the USAF.

3. We've graduated students from all walks of life -- doctors, nurses, teachers, nuns, homemakers, farmers, Army Medics, welders, policemen and women, carpenters, paramedics, EMTs, Navy Corpsmen, SEALS, Air Force ParaRescue Medics and many others... USAF Pararescue (NOT MEDICS)

I like learning from skilled professionals that have seen it and done it... Atleast they have a CRNA and MD though. Little stuff like not using the correct terminology in a professional course gets to me, expecially when using actual professional units.

Like some others said before there are some decently difficult procedures listed and the curriculum is ALOT to cover. Again I am all for civilians learning and seeing but how they labeled "Classes are structured with civilians in mind and all Field Medicine techniques are taught in hands-on settings," scares me myself. Just my little taunt/rant. I still say learn as much as you can!!! Don't get me wrong I am sure they do a decent job at teaching/learning/skills but I would def. spend my hard earned money elsewhere with proven professionals. Shoot you can learn a decent amount just reading on this website.

rockmyglock
03-26-12, 22:13
This looks like a basic to comprehensive class.

I think its a comprehensive basics class.....:sarcastic:

I have not taken the course, but judging from the circles that Mr. Fenwick belongs, I think this is more geared toward disaster preparedness and survival. Basically, giving you a crash course and covering a wide variety of material, so when you are in a situation that is dismal and there is no doctor/emt/other help, you have the exposure.

In the past, there have been several positive reviews of the class featured on survivalblog.com

Once again, having not attended, I would expect to take the following away from the class: the desire to learn more and determine which areas I need to focus on to make myself better. Essentially, this class being the tip of the spear. If you bring your wife along, and get her singing from the same sheet of music, that's a big +1 in my book.