PDA

View Full Version : Looking for insight on back pocket carry

Sry0fcr
01-17-12, 13:04
This might help solve a problem that I currently have with donning doffing my primary (M&P9C) multiple times a day. Because I'm prohibited by law from carrying in at least 2 locations that I go to on a daily basis. Aside from that my work attire does not always allow me to carry IWB.

I've ruled out ankle carry since my pant legs are not wide enough to accommodate a good draw slowing an already slow process, I haven't ruled out front pocket carry but it seems very "pocket dependent" but may be workable.

I'm looking at back pocket carry at the moment which seems like it could work since a bulge in a back pocket is more likely to go unnoticed and the wide opening rear pockets have would seem to facilitate faster draw, and less hangups/snagging, and would be easier to get to when seated. Aside from that the gun wouldn't be too far off from my normal 4:30 IWB carry position. If you could please share your experience/thoughts on this method of carry I'd appreciate it.

Sry0fcr
01-17-12, 13:07
I forgot to mention that I would likely have to find a smaller carry gun to pull this off. The M&PC will not fill this niche. I'm thinking J frame, PPS or something along the same lines. Assume that I'd be using a "wallet holster".

Magsz
01-17-12, 13:20
The PPS is a huge gun. It is a slim gun but relatively gigantic.

You might want to look into other forms of self protection/preservation if you're going into NPE's all that often.

It sucks but some times you simply cannot carry a gun.

A better question would be. Do you think you could reasonably deploy the firearm should you need it?

Do you think an alternative means of self defense would be easier to employ such as pepper spray, a kick to the throat or perhaps a dedication towards a martial art?

Grizzly16
01-17-12, 13:38
I doubt you'll get much feed back on a public forum about how to break gun laws.

Sry0fcr
01-17-12, 13:47
I doubt you'll get much feed back on a public forum about how to break gun laws.

Whoa there! I think you're misunderstanding. I'm looking into a carry method that's easier to take off and put on because I have a need to do it multiple times a day to avoid breaking the law. If That wasn't clear before I hope it is now.

ssracer
01-17-12, 13:52
I've got a 642 and a desantis nemesis holster that I have carried in the back pocket of my jeans a few times. The back of the grip protruded above the pocket a bit which made getting to it easier, but I had to wear clothing that hung down far enough to cover it.

Grizzly16
01-17-12, 13:59
Whoa there! I think you're misunderstanding. I'm looking into a carry method that's easier to take off and put on because I have a need to do it multiple times a day to avoid breaking the law. If That wasn't clear before I hope it is now.

AHHH Gotcha, I misread it as looking for a gun you could carry and not get caught with in the felony zones. I fail at reading.

I usually just lock my gun in a safe in the truck and leave my iwb holster on when in no carry areas.

Aside from that a 642 in a blackhawk (shudder shudder i know) is easy to pocket carry, draws well and is easy to slip out of the pocket when I need to. It basically looks like a lump of keys in my front pocket.

Sry0fcr
01-17-12, 14:25
I've got a 642 and a desantis nemesis holster that I have carried in the back pocket of my jeans a few times. The back of the grip protruded above the pocket a bit which made getting to it easier, but I had to wear clothing that hung down far enough to cover it.

As with front pocket carry, I suppose this will be pocket dependent as well. Was it comfortable sitting on your J while driving? I'm assuming no more uncomfortable than having a wallet back there.

ssracer
01-17-12, 14:30
definitely pocket dependent. Wasn't too bad driving like that, wouldn't want to sit on something like a hard bleacher, but any padded seat wasn't too uncomfortable. That may also be....lets call it...posterior padding dependent....:jester:

Detmongo
01-17-12, 15:42
Sry,
i've never carried a primary in my back pocket but i carried either a S&W mdl. 36 or 640 as a back up many times w/no issues. i did this while wearing jeans. i've also practiced drawing and some live fire drills w/this combo to make sure it worked before i went out on the street with it.

Beat Trash
01-17-12, 16:05
I used the back pocket carry method for about two years, mainly for a BUG .

A couple of issues to bear in mind. First off, while a J-frame in a pocket holster fits well in the back pocket, the grip will stick out a bit. You can cover your butt with a long shirt. But when you bend over, that will most likely still become exposed. More so than bending or reaching up would with any other location of waist carry. Bend over in front of a mirror some time and watch how much your butts moves throughout the process. To add to that, once the cover garment slips up and exposes that grip, it tends to slip behind the grip and continue to expose the grip.

Your other choice is to go with a smaller semi auto that is so small that it will not stick out of the pocket. This really limits your choice of caliber, shoot-ability, and reliability.

Not to mention it can be "a pain in the butt".

I'd recommend you go a tad loose on the size/design of your pants and go with front pocket carry.

The S&W 642 really shines here. I own both a S&W 642 and a Kahr PM9. In shorts in the heat and humidity of August type weather, I prefer the flatness of the PM9. But with jeans' type pockets, the curves of the 642 slips in and out much better.

jamaicanj
01-18-12, 00:06
I regularly carry my g26 in a front pocket, but it won't disappear in a rear pocket. The only pistol that I've tried that works in a back pocket is my seecamp.

KCBRUIN
01-18-12, 00:25
M&P 340 in a desantis pocket holster for front pocket carry. I've only found one or two pants/shorts that it doesn't completely hide in, and that can be remedied with a long shirt. I wear somewhat baggy clothes tho.

skyugo
01-18-12, 00:49
a smart carry is pretty invisible. slow draw though, especially when seated. should work fine with most compact autos.
I carry my 642 j-frame front pocket quite often. I've yet to find a 9mm or larger automatic that can be truly pocket carried that i would rely on. imho of course, but the wheelgun is still the king of tiny guns.

careboy
01-18-12, 02:40
Well, these are precisely I need now.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/22.gif

Axcelea
01-18-12, 18:50
All the pants I've tried both with lend themselves better doing front carry with J-frame. I think back will run more issues then front.

Can always go empty holster if you have to.

Kokopelli
01-18-12, 19:48
I use a LCP with a uncle George wallet holster when I'm not carrying a 1911. It works great in the back pocket or front cargo pocket. Ron

http://unclegeorgeswalletholster.com/default.aspx

p7fl
01-19-12, 11:28
Ditto on the Seecamp.
Been carrying an LWS .32 or .380 in the back pocket of fitted jeans for 15 years. No one has ever noticed.
Inside a Thad Rybka holster it prints as a wallet.

BillSWPA
01-20-12, 12:57
I pocket carry almost every day, either for my primary or my backup gun. The front pocket works much better than the back pocket for me.

When I have tried back pocket carry, I usually find that the back of the grip is visible from certain angles even if the gun isn't sticking out of my pocket. Pants and guns have to be selected very carefully.

Although I have often carried a Glock 26 in the front pocket of a pair of dress slacks, this does put a lot of wear and tear on the pants. A J frame is about the same size as the G26, although it can weigh less. Going much smaller than a G26 in 9mm is potentially taking chances in the reliability department. A tiny .380 is a better option for pocket carry.

My favorite pocket guns are the North American Arms .380 and Kel-Tec P3AT. The P3AT is my usual BUG, because it is lighter in weight and easier to shoot with my weak hand. The Crimson Trace Laserguard is very worthwhile given the minimal sights on this gun. However, if a pocket gun is going to be my only gun, I have more confidence in the NAA .380. This gun can be obtained with some very nice custom sight options as well as Crimson Trace Lasergrips. Unlike many other tiny .380's, the NAA is not just a .32 chambered in .380. but is designed from the ground up as a .380. There are documented cases of these guns going over 10,000 rounds without problems.

Regarding holsters, I prefer an anti-print panel for front or rear pocket carry. The DeSantis Superfly works well for me.

chubbs88
01-27-12, 21:38
ditto on the seecamp, my buddy's got one and the holster he uses looks like a wallet. the holster he uses is made by bear creek holsters, simple search on google will yield the website.

Winston Wolf
01-27-12, 23:28
I have a co-worker who had the same issue. He was carrying a Walther PPKs BUG AIWB and found that getting it on and off was a royal pain in the arse.
I built him a custom kydex single clip inverted SOB holster for it. Just reach back, one-handed, pull the clip and the whole thing slides right out. Super fast on the draw and highly concealable. I have to admit that I was skeptical about the inverted SOB request but after making it and wearing it for a day, it's pretty slick. Comfortable and invisible.
His biggest gripe was that when he got to his destination, he usually had to take it off in his car and felt like he was drawing attention to himself. He's told me that it's much easier with the InvSOB rig.

I'll post a few pics of it when I get home. If you think it's something you'd be interested in, fire me a PM.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/jlojik/IMG_1266-1.jpg http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/jlojik/IMG_1265.jpg

[Edited to add pics]
WW

miamitj
01-28-12, 20:27
When I cant carry my G19 I carry a Kahr PM9 in a high noon pocket holster. It's 7 rounds of a 9mm in a tiny package.

Better than any .380 put there ...