PDA

View Full Version : 2012 M&P's Thumb Safety Ready?

OldState
01-17-12, 15:14
Was at the local guns shop and they showed me a new VTAC with a little notch that could be knocked out and TS installed. Has anyone heard this? The owners daughter said she thought that was how they were going to made for all 2012 pistols but wasn't 100%.

Magsz
01-17-12, 15:47
The frames and sear housings are thumb safety ready BUT the sear housing lacks the safety detent and spring.

Bummer.

OldState
01-17-12, 16:12
The frames and sear housings are thumb safety ready BUT the sear housing lacks the safety detent and spring.

Bummer.

Why would they do that then? It doesn't make sense.

I'm looking to move away from the 1911 and from what I have read here and the comments from Hilton Yam, a M&P with a TS and the Apex FSS trigger is about as close to a 1911 as you can get in a polymer pistol.

If this is true you could add a TS to a long slide M&P and get even closer....

TehLlama
01-17-12, 21:06
For my part, I think the ideal configuration to try out when available on the M&P's (been migrating towards this) is going to be the Full Size Thumb Safety w/out Mag Safety, with the Apex FSS and the RedbackOne 10-8 Sight Set. Throw on a Boresight Solutions 10-8 kit and it's still under the price of a starting 1911, but a full custom gun.

This particular arrangement is what's making me look at my 1911's differently, although I love those heavy sex machines, if the M&P can compensate for my mediocre pistol shooting abilities as well, I see no reason to keep buying expensive .45 ammunition and stock expensive 1911 fitted parts.

mikeith
01-17-12, 21:59
i noticed the precut notches on my just arrived vtac also. the notches are easy to cut on your own also. if this can be done i would like to do it to my compact which will make me feel better about it for carry purposes since i plan on eliminating most of the pre-travel by sending it to bowie

Steve S.
01-17-12, 23:21
It's my understanding that all the dark earth framed M&Ps have the thumb safety notch. S&W most likely didn't bother making a second frame mold.