PDA

View Full Version : Full or empty mags not dropping

JWR075
01-17-12, 18:51
I recently bought a Palmetto State Armory AR (A2 model, with a MOE stock and handguard) and everything works fine so I took it to the range to adjust sights and just get a feel for it as compared to my M&P 15 TS and PredatAR 5.56. The only issue was that the magazines would not drop free regardless if fully loaded or empty. I do not have a lot in the rifle (traded two 22 Walther P22’s for it (thank god as they were nothing but FTF bombs). What can I do to fix this small issue not sure where to start bolt catch or mag release or if the rifle (new to me but not new) just needs to be broke in? I have checked the search function and all three were listed as possible fixes, but I was not sure which is the most likely cause or place to look first.

5pins
01-17-12, 19:21
What mags are you using?

JWR075
01-17-12, 20:04
I am using P-mags, GI issue (gun show specials), Brownell GI mags, L5 and a new Surefire 60rd. None of them except the Surefire (when it is loaded) will drop without some help from me. I am thinking about purchasing another mag release but I am trying to see if I can do something else before having to put more money into a rifle that I do not have a lot of money in, but I would like for it to be able to drop mags as the purpose of this rifle is to shoot yotes and pigs on a hunting lease, so I will be switching ammo depending on when, where, and what animal shows it little head.

Smash
01-17-12, 20:13
This may seem blasphemous to some readers.

I bought some of the territorial gunsmith lower receivers when they were dirt cheap and had this same problem.

I too ran some pmags, gi mags, and a surefire 60 in them. Only the surefire wasn't rediculously tight fitting.

If you're in love with the aesthetics then you should not do what I did. But I simply took my Dremel and slowly buffed away the inside of the magwell to open up the tolerances. Just so you know this is not my go to lower and I have no emotional ties to this receiver. It's obviously now shiny on the inside and not perfect and pretty. It does however receive magazines and let them drop with no problems.

straightsilver3
01-17-12, 20:48
You mentioned a trade for this So I assume it was used Take the upper off Insert a Mag look for day light around the mag you could even remove the mag catch Check if the mag is rubbing in the well If so by all means DO NOT use a dremel Take a small piece of wood that's wedged tap it into the mag well to straighten the mag well out Some work may have been done before you got it and the mag well may have gotta bent The wood is softer the your rec so you can't hurt it and the forging will give some flex good luck hope this works for you

Tweak
01-17-12, 21:12
make sure that the trigger guard isn't sticking into the mag well.

ucrt
01-17-12, 21:19
You mentioned a trade for this So I assume it was used Take the upper off Insert a Mag look for day light around the mag you could even remove the mag catch Check if the mag is rubbing in the well If so by all means DO NOT use a dremel Take a small piece of wood that's wedged tap it into the mag well to straighten the mag well out Some work may have been done before you got it and the mag well may have gotta bent The wood is softer the your rec so you can't hurt it and the forging will give some flex good luck hope this works for you

===============================

:confused:

straightsilver3
01-17-12, 21:30
===============================

:confused:

.You don't get it You cut a piece on wood about the size of the mag well but wedge shaped so it's larger at the bottom Tap it into the bottom of the well until it's wedged tight If the mag well is off centered it can be tapped back correctly so the mags will fall free This is posted on the other forum I'm on and it's works

Tweak
01-17-12, 21:39
Before you make any mods take off the upper, strip out the mag catch and fold down the trigger guard. Do the mags still stick?

Redhat
01-17-12, 22:40
Try adjusting the magazine release?

SpaceWrangler
01-18-12, 00:04
Dremels and hammers. It's sounding like arfcom in here.

steelonsteel
01-18-12, 00:22
I'm assuming the person you traded to knows the two pistols you sold him were "FTF bombs"?

Disassemble the mag catch, and clean witha toothbrush would be a good start, and as another member siad, check the trigger guard as well. besides that - well, mag well may be too damn tight.

Smash
01-18-12, 07:47
Be it known I used a Dremel on the $30 dollar lower that is completely stripped, nothing installed on the receiver and nothing to be adjusted. I would not do this on something that I would ever plan on running on anything important.

5pins
01-18-12, 08:39
The first thing I would do is remove the mag catch and see what happens. Over turning the mag catch can cause this problem and it’s a simple fix. If the mag drops free than reinstall the catch making sure not to screw it in too far.

GTifosi
01-18-12, 09:10
If you must remove material by hand from in the well use the right tool: a fine pitch double cut flat machinists file with one side edge blank/smooth.

Flat, controllable, leaves a even finish, can get into the corners if neccisary, will work nicely for altering the magwell throat opening angle if desired, and won't create thin spots or ripples like a dremel bit will.

I'm curious as to specifically why the binding occurred should anyone postively figure it out as I've got *3 Palmetto receivers and have no such problems but would like to know if there's something I need to look for to identify if the potential is there.
Note that I do not have access to Pmags or post ban normal capacity stuff, just pre ban USGI or civilian retail and neutered post ban stuff. 10 rounders drop right out, empty or otherwise as do decades old 20's and old 30's

*All purchased at different times over a period of months so no two almost assuredly came out of the same batch.

Was using standard mag releases up until the install of the RevEng FCD on all receivers. No issues before or after.

JSantoro
01-18-12, 10:35
Good lord....

Adjust the mag catch out a turn or two and test that with your mags, before you do anything else, as only 3 participants have suggested (now 4...).

Anybody suggesting that you immediately nab the nearest grinding/shaving tool or apparatus and go to town on the ANYthing, regardless of expense or configuration, is hearing hoofbeats in the distance and thinking zebras instead of horses.

Some undiagnosed prescription drug interaction issues can cause auditory hallucenations like that...and they probably shouldn't be using tools....

BGREID
01-18-12, 10:56
Sounds like the mag catch to me. Did your friend assemble the lower?

dwhitehorne
01-18-12, 15:20
Before you make any mods take off the upper, strip out the mag catch and fold down the trigger guard. Do the mags still stick?

This is the answer. Turn the mag catch out a turn or two first and try your mags. If that doesn't work then fold down the trigger guard and check that. The first time I had a trigger guard out of spec, I was completely dumb founded until someone suggested to fold it out of the way. Good Luck. David

juliomorris
01-18-12, 15:43
Drop the trigger guard first if that isn't it the loosen the mag catch 1 turn then 2. I have seen some PSA lowwere that have a rough surface and that can make empty mags stick but I doubt it would cause a full mag to stick.

ST911
01-18-12, 15:52
No dremels. No wood. No WECSOG. If it's out of spec, return it and make the manufacturer get it right.

Tweak
01-18-12, 16:03
No dremels. No wood. No WECSOG. If it's out of spec, return it and make the manufacturer get it right.

esto

If you can push the mag catch button and the catch clears the inside wall of the mag well then it's fine.The catch hits the side of the lower so it can't get too tight but if it's screwed too far into the button then it may not have enough throw to clear the body of the magazine.

Jaysop
01-18-12, 16:24

Itll probably cost more in transfer fees than the lower is worth.
At least that would be the case here.

Tweak
01-18-12, 17:23
It's not a transfer.

mpom
01-18-12, 18:13
Tweak is right; firearms/receivers can be shipped to manufacturer for repair without an ffl intervening.

Jaysop
01-18-12, 18:30
They can even send it back to you without an FFL?

mpom
01-18-12, 18:49
Yes. Repairs and customization by manufacturer or gunsmith can go direct to and from, no ffl needed.

Mark

JWR075
01-19-12, 11:39
Ok I tried adjusting the mag catch, did not work. I was working an empty mag in the magwell and noticed that it started to "twist" (and also feels tight) a little at the very beginning before it ever reaches the mag release. So it “feels” like the magwell is not straight or correctly machined and thus it is causing the mags to bind up inside of the well.

Does anyone know a good/reputable gunsmith near the Charlotte NC that can fix this? I did not really want to have to pay for shipping and insuring the lower, paying to have it fixed, and then paying for return shipping if there is someone near my location that could “fix” it (as the rifle is not worth a lot, less than 500 invested) and it is not a primary defense type weapon so if not I guess I can just “live” with its flaw and worse case I can pick up another lower and transfer the parts over.

BGREID
01-19-12, 11:43
Call the manufacturer and see if they will fix it for free. They may pay the shipping.

Tweak
01-19-12, 13:51
Contact the manufacturer and they will repair it. They should pay shipping both directions and there shouldn't be a charge to repair it.

If they don't then they're dirtbags.

MistWolf
01-19-12, 15:52
I contacted PSA via PM for a problem I had with my upper. They were fast in responding, paid to ship my upper both ways and took care of the problem. Try PMing PSA about your lower. I'm sure they'll take care of the problem