PDA

View Full Version : HK to Glock shooting frustrations

ejewels
01-17-12, 21:01
Hey Guys, so I used to shoot my G19 a lot, then as I became more proficient, I got into 1911s. Finally I ended up with a HK45c recently and have been shooting that dead accurately. I'm still a novice, maybe intermediate shooter and definitely an avid hobbyist. My question is this. I took out the G19 today that I thought I was good with. I fired 50 rounds. the last 20 rounds my groups tightened up, but they were all high and left.

Any ideas? Anyone go from shooting another platform to a glock shoot high and left? My groups were tight, they were just about 2.5-3 inches high and to the left.

Cosmo M3
01-17-12, 21:24
Different guns. Different triggers. Different technique.

Heavy Metal
01-17-12, 21:30
One of the reasons I stick with Glock is the muscle-memory you build on one model Glock translates pretty well to all of them.

There are enough models that it is easy to stick with one platform.

ejewels
01-17-12, 21:41
I'm just hoping its me, and not the gun. I couldn't even hit the bulls. All shots were high left. I had to actively aim low to get correct hits. Maybe I was holding differently, i know the HK hold is different. I was holding the top of the front sight under the bulls... and still going high. :confused:

KCBRUIN
01-17-12, 21:43
When I first started shooting M&P's it was always shooting a friends right after my Glock. I would always shoot low. After shooting them more frequently that went away and I no longer have that problem even if I switch guns mag to mag. Just takes practice if you're going to own and depend on both.

I'm guessing if you shoot your Glock for a month or so then switch to your 1911 or HK you'll shoot those low. Different grip angles.

ejewels
01-17-12, 21:49
Ah, good point. Maybe since the grip angle is a little different, thats not helping the situation...

Heavy Metal
01-17-12, 21:54
Grip angle, what spot on the face of the trigger that you engage with what part of your finger. Muscle memory issues.

mrosamilia
01-17-12, 21:56
I just transitioned to HK, and Sig from Glock. I have noticed the opposite. I shoot Glocks and Sigs dead nuts, my HK45CT is low left. I am not jerking trigger either as I have shot for 20 yrs and know when I am doing so. I also believe it's just the different angles.

newyork
01-17-12, 22:04
You just got your HK, how can you say you are so good with it? How can you expect to be great on different platforms when youre not good with any? Go take a class with one.
I have the same disease as you but am starting to pull away from it, its hard I know. Pick one gun and find a good basic class.

samuse
01-17-12, 22:05
I've been shooting Glocks for the better part of ten years.

I gave up trying to master the POS.

Just figure out where to hold off on the longer shots and let it rip on the close up stuff.

Yes, I know how to shoot and properly grip the gun and all that. My Glocks are reliable (even the Gen4 19) and I carry one every day. In fact, I am pretty much exclusively a 9mm Glock shooter...

ejewels
01-17-12, 22:16
You just got your HK, how can you say you are so good with it? How can you expect to be great on different platforms when youre not good with any? Go take a class with one.
I have the same disease as you but am starting to pull away from it, its hard I know. Pick one gun and find a good basic class.

Well, I didn't mean I was good with it. I was trying to say my POI/POA was dead on. The glock when using the same techniques shot high left. I'm gonna go to the range again this week and shoot more to really critique how I'm shooting...

drck1000
01-17-12, 23:22
I recently got my first Glock, a 17, and my first pistol is a HK USP 40c. I also started shooting the 17 high and left. I noticed if I concentrated more on proper trigger control, press, etc that I got better results. I also started using a slight 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards. I assumed that the left was due to a different trigger and the high was either the hold or grip. It seems like the single action trigger of the USP is slightly more forgiving than the Glock trigger. At least for me.

I've had my HK for about 14 years now, so I'll give the Glock some time. In fact, I'm planning on using the Glock primarily for the foreseeable future.

jasonhgross
01-18-12, 09:43
Why did you change if you have 14 years with the HK. I am a glock owner so I stick with that. If I had all HKs, I would be good with that too. Pick one and stick with it. Switching back and forth is never a good idea.

drck1000
01-18-12, 10:45
Why did you change if you have 14 years with the HK. I am a glock owner so I stick with that. If I had all HKs, I would be good with that too. Pick one and stick with it. Switching back and forth is never a good idea.

I assume you were referring to me, so. . .

I bought the HK in the late 90's and used to shoot quite often back then. I'd taken a break from shooting and have recently gotten back into shooting, primarily with ARs and other rifles. I've also started getting training, starting with local meets and with that I've decided to try a 9 mm pistol and went with a Glock.

As I mentioned before, from here on out, the Glock will be my primary handgun. Yeah, I'll take the HK with me to the range now and then to run it, but I won't be switching back and forth, choosing to do my training with the Glock.

rjacobs
01-18-12, 10:58
Sell G19, buy H&K P30. Now you have a gun that is very similar to your HK45 so that you can pick up one or the other and be much more comfortable.

Magsz
01-18-12, 12:16
The point at which the trigger breaks in relation to where your finger is in its physical arc of motion is different on all guns.

It will take some time to acclimate to a "new" platform when switching between guns.

You're not settling your front sight in the notch. Bury the front sight in the notch until the top of the blades are even and then press the trigger straight to the rear. This will cure the issue of shooting high. You are simply not seeing your sights as you should. Glocks dont point high, they point where your sights are.

My natural point of aim is not natural. It is what ive trained it to be since ive started shooting Glocks.

Lots of dry fire will cure the grouping to the left.

Noodle
01-18-12, 12:54
Sell G19, buy H&K P30. Now you have a gun that is very similar to your HK45 so that you can pick up one or the other and be much more comfortable.

I agree with rjacobs. Get rid of the Glock and go with an HK 9mm if you can afford it.

I just got rid of a Gen 3 G19 to pick up a 1911. I never liked the feel of the G19 and shoot HKs, CZs and Walthers much better. I have yet to shoot the 1911 but the HK45 grip-to-slide angle matches the 1911’s profile. I shoot the HK45 pretty well so I hope to have good luck with the 1911.