PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Vltor A5 Buffer weight options..

pathfinderheli
01-18-12, 20:15
Did some searching on the forum and found some decent info on the Vltor A5 buffer tube system.

My SBR is going through a rebuild and I am thinking of going in the A5 direction.

This is how the rifle will primarily be run / set up:

11.5 BCF BFH
AAC 51T Muzzle Brake
M4-2000 - - I will run this gun about 90% of the time suppressed...
Weapon Outfitters AR Gas Vent
BCM Auto BCG

Typically shoot XM193 (mostly Federal right now...)

I'm looking to make this gun as soft as possible... Should I start out with the standard A5 buffer or should I already make the jump and get the heavier ones?

markm
01-18-12, 20:26
Jump up one. Hot ammo and a can will run it crazy.

I run one on an 11.5 with no can and .223 ammo, and it chugs along fine.

MrSmitty
01-20-12, 05:12
I run one on an 11.5 with no can and .223 ammo, and it chugs along fine.

Good info to know!

I was a little curious about this as well, I haven't seen too much about the heavier A5 buffers.

I've been using the standard A5 buffer with a Noveske 10.5 Switchblock. Stills shoots pretty soft with Federal XM193 but I wouldn't mind trying the next one up for kicks...

Iraqgunz
01-20-12, 06:12
This set up is very similar to mine. I use the A5 with the medium buffer and the green Springco spring.

One word of caution. I would be very cautious about that WO gas vent thing. I think the whole blow back issue is overplayed and I shoot my gun suppressed almost all of the time.

Did some searching on the forum and found some decent info on the Vltor A5 buffer tube system.

My SBR is going through a rebuild and I am thinking of going in the A5 direction.

This is how the rifle will primarily be run / set up:

11.5 BCF BFH
AAC 51T Muzzle Brake
M4-2000 - - I will run this gun about 90% of the time suppressed...
Weapon Outfitters AR Gas Vent
BCM Auto BCG

Typically shoot XM193 (mostly Federal right now...)

I'm looking to make this gun as soft as possible... Should I start out with the standard A5 buffer or should I already make the jump and get the heavier ones?

markm
01-20-12, 06:47
Gunz's gun runs like a cat on fire.

pathfinderheli
01-20-12, 20:52
This set up is very similar to mine. I use the A5 with the medium buffer and the green Springco spring.

One word of caution. I would be very cautious about that WO gas vent thing. I think the whole blow back issue is overplayed and I shoot my gun suppressed almost all of the time.

Yeah, just really an experiment here... If it doesn't work I will surely just put my reg. forward assist back in. I shot this for about 1000 rounds and yeah it was overgassed but not that big of a deal. I figured since it is out for Cerakote I figure I would try it....

One mistake I made was that I had a semi auto carrier installed vs. full auto. duh...

I'm thinking with a FA carrier it will make all the difference with the A5 system.