PDA

View Full Version : The "desert AR"... yes, that one.

Eric D.
01-18-12, 21:14
This is purely out of educational curiosity. Obviously, the desert AR was a complete cluster-****, but it posed a learning opportunity.

For those of you who saw the Sons of Guns season finale, you know their AR build wasn't working on full auto. According to them the issue was the CAR buffer. Replacing it with a hydraulic buffer appeared to solve the problem. Now I'm thinking, "how can the buffer possibly have been the problem?" It seemed like a disconnector/auto sear/selector issue. Can a buffer be the cause of the malfunctions they experienced on full auto or was there some behind-the-scenes magic going on?

Heavy Metal
01-18-12, 21:19
If the buffer is too light and the gun is over-gassed, you can run into bolt bounce issues that give a dead trigger.

Casull
01-18-12, 21:27
Wouldn't an H or H2 buffer suffice? I hear the hydro buffers hardly mean much??

Eric D.
01-18-12, 21:35
As I understand it, the carrier trips the auto sear on its forward travel which releases the hammer. If bolt bounce occurs as the hammer is dropped, the bolt will be out of battery resulting in a misfire, correct?

If the buffer is too light and the gun is over-gassed, you can run into bolt bounce issues that give a dead trigger.

Heavy Metal
01-18-12, 21:36
Mabey they didn't have one on hand.

It was Red Jacket so

http://www.chiefmag.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/who-cares.jpg

Heavy Metal
01-18-12, 21:38
As I understand it, the carrier trips the auto sear on its forward travel which releases the hammer. If bolt bounce occurs as the hammer is dropped, the bolt will be out of battery resulting in a misfire, correct?

The bolt carrier will be bouncing to the rear as the hammer meets it. They cancel forces and the hammer rides the carrier forward instead of affirmatively striking the firing pin.

Terlingueno
01-18-12, 22:01
Was it a modified Shewtryte Kimono that they assemble?

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-18-12, 22:04
Ah that show is a bunch of ass clowns!

charmcitycop
01-18-12, 22:39
The fact that the...things...they build function at all is a testament to the strength of the designs of Stoner, Kalashkinov, and Browning.

Eric D.
01-18-12, 22:59
Unfortunately, a good friend and fellow shooter is infatuated with the show. I'm doing my best to sculpt his mindset.

Ah that show is a bunch of ass clowns!

the_1iviper
01-19-12, 00:29
but the general seemed to like it since he's taking a trip to washington next month ;)

Iraqgunz
01-19-12, 04:53
This is actually a serious question? These guys are clown shoes when it comes to many things- AR's being on of them. The silly statement made by Will "make an AR with the AK reliability" is completely Full Metal Retard.

A properly assembled, spec'd and lubed AR will run. The fact that they added some goofball hydraulic buffer is even more comical.

I would love to see what happens with that gun on a Vltor A5 or with an H3 buffer and Springco spring.

GrumpyM4
01-19-12, 05:43
That show has already been proven to be a sham in all ways, shapes, and forms.

To view anything that you see on that show as anything other then total, idiotic bullshit is a personal failure.

It's all staged, full of ass clowns, and set up to be "entertainment" for the bubba's that we make fun of at gun shows. You know the ones, the fat retards claiming to be Army SEALS selling beef jerky and beanie babies in the corner boothes.

In other words, the show is ****ing retarded as all are all the participants, producters, etc.

**** them and the image that they are giving the gun community with their retardation.

davidjinks
01-19-12, 07:12
That show has already been proven to be a sham in all ways, shapes, and forms.

To view anything that you see on that show as anything other then total, idiotic bullshit is a personal failure.

It's all staged, full of ass clowns, and set up to be "entertainment" for the bubba's that we make fun of at gun shows. You know the ones, the fat retards claiming to be Army SEALS selling beef jerky and beanie babies in the corner boothes.

In other words, the show is ****ing retarded as all are all the participants, producters, etc.

**** them and the image that they are giving the gun community with their retardation.

Dude, everybody knows the SEALs aren't Army...they're Coast Guard!

I'm still dumbfounded with the gun boat hooyah they made with the MK19/M2 for the SD.

motorolahamm
01-19-12, 07:13
Any Thoughts on the show American Guns ????

Smash
01-19-12, 07:14
The one thing I will give them credit for is they know more about guns than "acting". I feel like "the office" is more realistic than the desert AR episode.

GTifosi
01-19-12, 07:45
Any Thoughts on the show American Guns ????

Uber high pressure used car salesman willing to pimp out anything to make a nickle off anyone for any reason based on any lie or misinformation.

Seems to know even less than RJF, but has more polish.

kVon
01-19-12, 07:55
Uber high pressure used car salesman willing to pimp out anything to make a nickle off anyone for any reason based on any lie or misinformation.

Seems to know even less than RJF, but has more polish.

I agree. I always think back to an episode where they flew to a guys airport hanger to show him some AR's. The customer picks up the Sig 556 and the A.G. Guy says, "its heavy, so you know it's reliable.":lol:

That's what Boris the Bullet Dodger says to Frankie Four Fingers in Snatch!

Boris "the bullet dodger": [referring to the gun he sold Tommy] Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work … you can always hit them with it.

MSteele
01-19-12, 08:02
It looked like they had a red sprinco spring in the desert AR. I thought I saw the color coded red end when they were installing the hydro buffer. As for the show it's tv what can anyone expect.

charmcitycop
01-19-12, 08:51
The only decent gun show I've seen on tv is "triggers: guns that changed the world"

Doc Safari
01-19-12, 09:02

Freaking Amen! That show has done more to set back the perception of gun owners than Schumer, Feinswine, and Sarah Brady could have ever thought of!

I say we let Larry Vickers torture test all their creations!

wahoo95
01-19-12, 09:04
This is actually a serious question? These guys are clown shoes when it comes to many things- AR's being on of them. The silly statement made by Will "make an AR with the AK reliability" is completely Full Metal Retard.

A properly assembled, spec'd and lubed AR will run. The fact that they added some goofball hydraulic buffer is even more comical.

I would love to see what happens with that gun on a Vltor A5 or with an H3 buffer and Springco spring.

What's more comical is the idea that they describe the gun as if "they" actually made the gun from scratch rather than assembled some parts. Love it when he refereed to the receivers as custom made from billet.

JSantoro
01-19-12, 09:44
This better get technical, ricky-tick, and stay that way....

You guys can have discussions revolving around the sad, virus-like proliferation of derp-derp televison in GD, where it belongs.

Eric D.
01-19-12, 10:23
I should have known what this would turn into. I agree with all the points made and I don't support the show in the least. I wanted to understand the malfunction and what caused it. I am satisfied with Heavy Metal's explanation. Case closed.

VLODPG
01-19-12, 10:25
Thank God I haven't owned a TV in over 7 years!