PDA

View Full Version : Proud Member of the P30 Club

PaulL
01-19-12, 04:57
I finally picked up a P30, and I am now a better person for it. It has made me more popular with the ladies, my car gets better gas mileage, and I got a raise at work. Aside from that, though, I have a couple of issues...

The sights are poop (for me). I use the Hackathorn setup on the M&P, and I'd like to find something similar for the P30. Anybody have some info on who's making that these days? The previous threads I found were from a couple of years ago.

Also, I ride the crap out of the slide release. I do it to some degree on any semi-auto, but the giant one on the P30 is particularly an issue. Basically, I have no hope whatsoever of getting the slide to lock back on an empty mag. Grip suggestions are appreciated. I doubt I'm the only one with this issue.

So far, I love the crap out of this thing. With some more trigger time, I'll probably replace the M&P as my carry gun. As has been said numerous times before, the LEM trigger is the bomb-diggity. Until now, I didn't much care for any of the HK triggers.

I'm a happy camper. :cool:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/truthseeker1106/Gun%20Pics/5e3c0b11.jpg

dudshep31
01-19-12, 05:10
Try the light lem:D As far as the slide release, I'm still playing with different grips. I believe you can also swap out the slide release with a different hk model.

Hogsgunwild
01-19-12, 05:47
There is a thin slide release lever for the P2000 that is interchangeable with the P30 but shorter.

Try H&K or HKparts.net or just Google for places to buy one.

PaulL
01-19-12, 06:03
Awesome, thanks. I bet that fixes it, or at least helps. :thank_you2:

NL7CO
01-19-12, 08:18
There is a thin slide release lever for the P2000 that is interchangeable with the P30 but shorter.

Try H&K or HKparts.net or just Google for places to buy one.

Look at the ones for the P30S, they are shorter also. My next P30 is gooing to be an "S" because of my long thumbs.

Kevin P
01-19-12, 08:37
Before you start swapping parts try experimenting with your grip.

I use a thumb forward grip and just had to make a very slight adjustment. I place my thumb a little further down on the rail. I also place my strong hand thumb over on top of my weak hand. I have no issues at all with the slide not locking back.

loupav
01-19-12, 08:39
I have Heninie Straight 8's on my H45s and they will fit the P30.

Vlobb
01-19-12, 13:25
NICE! Good luck with it. I really wanted a P30L LEM but HK won't get off their ass and bring them into the US. I got sick of waiting and bought a Glock instead. They're (P30L LEM) available in Canada but not in the US... that's horseshit.

For sights I'd recommended Henie Straight 8's. Trijicon and Mepro also make a three dot night sight for the P30/HK45/C. (They're all the same sights.)

PaulL
01-19-12, 13:55
Before you start swapping parts try experimenting with your grip.

I use a thumb forward grip and just had to make a very slight adjustment. I place my thumb a little further down on the rail. I also place my strong hand thumb over on top of my weak hand. I have no issues at all with the slide not locking back.

I tried a few different grips, but to no avail. It either wasn't a good grip, or it rides the slide release. I'll spend some quality time with your method and see what happens.

What's the word on threaded barrels? I saw some factory barrels threaded by a third party, and a factory Canadian-market threaded barrel, but no love here in the US.

Kevin P
01-19-12, 15:40
If you keep experimenting with your grip and it just does not work out for you then you can always go the slim slide stop levers and at least you tried.

Check Hkparts.net on some threaded barrels or call HK. HK parts.net is sometimes a little high on their prices.

Good luck

Cosmo M3
01-19-12, 17:05
they have the OEM Factory Barrel in Canada.

I think Canada has a law against short barrel pistols so HK shipped them with OEM threaded barrels as standard.

spr1
01-19-12, 18:44
Have you played with the different combinations of side and back panels to optimize your grip? The best feeling may not be the best shooting combination for you.

E-man930
01-19-12, 19:06
+1 on swapping the slide release levers with a set from the P30S model... If you do not care about the lever being captive to the frame, you can also use levers from the P2000 series or the HK45 series.

Heinie straight eights are the best sights going for this gun, don't forget to paint your front sight orange...

Rinspeed
01-20-12, 06:28
Damn good looking pistol.

QuickStrike
01-20-12, 06:49
Pic of your grip? That slide release does seem a lot longer than the one on my HK45C. My support hand thumb points forward and up so it contacts the slide lightly.

Hard frame contact with the thumb doesn't seem to be important. I'm looking at this combat grip article and Brian Enos doesn't seem to press heavily with his thumbs at all. Sevigny does though...

From Duane Thomas' The Combat Grip:

Brian Enos believes one of the keys to a successful grip is having no contact by the thumbs along the side of the gun. The grip should happen strictly in the palms and fingers. *snip* Dave Sevigny does touch the side of the gun with his thumbs and also considers that an important part of his technique.

Failure2Stop
01-20-12, 07:36
Pic of your grip? That slide release does seem a lot longer than the one on my HK45C. My support hand thumb points forward and up so it contacts the slide lightly.

Hard frame contact with the thumb doesn't seem to be important. I'm looking at this combat grip article and Brian Enos doesn't seem to press heavily with his thumbs at all. Sevigny does though...

From Duane Thomas' The Combat Grip:

That's not really the issue.
Thumb pressure or lack thereof on the front of the gun is essentially irrelevant, and completely irrelevant when it comes to activation of the slide release.
The firing hand thumb needs to wrap around/away from the frame on the base of the thumb of the support hand, which keeps the slide release free from thumb pressure.

Sights:
The Heinie Straight 8s are decent, but they seem to print a little high for most shooters.

PaulL
01-20-12, 10:35
Sights:
The Heinie Straight 8s are decent, but they seem to print a little high for most shooters.

Is that what you're using?

OldGreg
01-20-12, 11:48
Trijicon has some night sights, but they are not Hack's, that's for sure. It's too bad that they haven't made any HK sights for their HD™ Night Sights line. I'd try those in a heartbeat.

I have to admit i've never wanted Heinie's on my P30, but i DREAM of the day that Ameriglo makes P30 sights. Send them an email ask for some (you'll probably get the 'no plans at this time' reply).. but help be another voice crying in the darkness for P30 Ameriglo's!

Trijicon for P30's:
http://www.trijicon.com/images/platform/handgun_nightsights.jpg
http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=HK10

YVK
01-20-12, 12:12
Grip: P30 slide release can be activated with both support hand thumb and strong hand thumb, depending on hand size, grip etc. For me, cut down of slide levers and use of large side panels alleviated the problem nearly 100%.

Night sights: Tru-Dot Mepros are 0.150 wide front post and 0.150 wide rear notch, +/- few thou. Make for a crappy speed and surprisingy OK accuracy. Opening rear sight notch to 0.180 nearly mimicks Hack sight dimensions for Glock and makes them more usable. The intensity of dots is correct, rear ones do not overpower front one.

Trijis: no personal experience. Their dimensions are 0.138 for front sight width and 0.150 for rear notch width so I am not sure they'll get any better sight pic than Mepros.

Dawson Precision has an array of sights, and they'll make a custom front sight height for fee, or for free if their full set doesn't give poi-poa. No personal experience.

Heinie's are 0.125 front - 0.156 rear notch, give nice fast sight pic and more than adequate for precision. Mine shoot POA-POI and I prefer them to all of the above. Two gripes are price and no option for a Ledge rear sight design.

swamper
01-20-12, 14:17
Trijicon has some night sights, but they are not Hack's, that's for sure. It's too bad that they haven't made any HK sights for their HD™ Night Sights line. I'd try those in a heartbeat.

I have to admit i've never wanted Heinie's on my P30, but i DREAM of the day that Ameriglo makes P30 sights. Send them an email ask for some (you'll probably get the 'no plans at this time' reply).. but help be another voice crying in the darkness for P30 Ameriglo's

A few weeks back, I sent an email to Ameriglo inquiring about the HK P30 equivalent of the Kyle Defoor sights for the Glock. They said something should be coming out this year. I know they're not night sights per se, but I've been interested in trying out some all black sights.

Night sights: Tru-Dot Mepros are 0.150 wide front post and 0.150 wide rear notch, +/- few thou. Make for a crappy speed and surprisingy OK accuracy. Opening rear sight notch to 0.180 nearly mimicks Hack sight dimensions for Glock and makes them more usable. The intensity of dots is correct, rear ones do not overpower front one.

Heinie's are 0.125 front - 0.156 rear notch, give nice fast sight pic and more than adequate for precision. Mine shoot POA-POI and I prefer them to all of the above. Two gripes are price and no option for a Ledge rear sight design.

I've put the the Tru-Dot Mepros on one of my HK45C's. The only reason I went with them is there is no "ramping" of the rear sights. They are are raised in the front enough so that the slide can be manipulated one-handed via the rear sights. I do wish Heinie made a set with that purpose in mind.

YVK
01-20-12, 14:37
I've put the the Tru-Dot Mepros on one of my HK45C's. The only reason I went with them is there is no "ramping" of the rear sights. They are are raised in the front enough so that the slide can be manipulated one-handed via the rear sights. I do wish Heinie made a set with that purpose in mind.

Yep, Mepros are the only ones usable for this, although it seems that Dawson Precision FO and possibly tritium options have same geometry as Mepros. The problem for me is that I prefer 0.125 wide front, and I think the dot on Mepros is too wide to allow for the entire post to be narrowed down. If I decided to stay with P30, I may try to solicit one of 1911 gunsmiths to re-contour the rear Heinie, they've been doing it for years on custom 1911 builds.

BKennedy
01-20-12, 21:54
If HK45 sights will fit, 10-8 is supposed to have their sight for an HK45 out soon. On that note, will those Trijicon HDs for the P30 fit an HK45? I would love a 10-8 rear with a Triji front.

YVK
01-20-12, 22:15
10-8 at this time is planning to introduce a rear sight only, with a 0.150 wide notch. The front to rear width proportion is the same as for mepros ( or trijis for that matter), and I don't think they'll offer any better sight picture.

OldGreg
01-21-12, 00:44
A few weeks back, I sent an email to Ameriglo inquiring about the HK P30 equivalent of the Kyle Defoor sights for the Glock. They said something should be coming out this year. I know they're not night sights per se, but I've been interested in trying out some all black sights.

I love my Defoor Glock sights, so this is positive news. At least your response was better than the one i got, granted my email was sent off a year ago..

JohnN
01-21-12, 01:34
If HK45 sights will fit, 10-8 is supposed to have their sight for an HK45 out soon. On that note, will those Trijicon HDs for the P30 fit an HK45? I would love a 10-8 rear with a Triji front.

I believe the 10-8 rear will have a .156 U-notch which can be paired with a Dawson .125 tritium front to give essentially the Heinie sight picture. The 10-8 also offers a cocking shelf which the Heinie does not.

Lone_Ranger
01-21-12, 02:50
Also, I ride the crap out of the slide release. I do it to some degree on any semi-auto, but the giant one on the P30 is particularly an issue. Basically, I have no hope whatsoever of getting the slide to lock back on an empty mag. Grip suggestions are appreciated. I doubt I'm the only one with this issue.

I had a P30, last year, and loved it. Felt like the grip was made just for me, and loved the ambidextrous slide release. After buying a substantial amount of support gear for it, I ran it through it's paces at a Team Tactics class. Had the same issue with the slide not locking back after the last shot.

Long story short. Sold it, and all the gear, at a considerable loss. I'm carrying a Sig now. (Don't get me wrong. I love HK. The P30 just doesn't work for me. A USP compact, with 30 grips, would be the perfect pistol)

PaulL
01-21-12, 06:37
Wow, this has turned into a pretty nice P30 resource thread! Thanks for all the input. The info here isn't consolidated anywhere else on the web that I've found.

That's why this place is still the best.

ap1220
01-22-12, 22:08
I'm pretty interested in getting one of these in the near future. I don't know why but I started checking them out a few months ago and more and more I just kept looking at them and I think just a few days ago I decided "I think I want one" :sarcastic:

Tell me about that trigger(OP or any p30 owner/experienced shooter): From some of the searching I've done it seems there's a love/hate relationship with it, ie either you love it or hate it.

Cosmo M3
01-23-12, 06:17
I'm pretty interested in getting one of these in the near future. I don't know why but I started checking them out a few months ago and more and more I just kept looking at them and I think just a few days ago I decided "I think I want one" :sarcastic:

Tell me about that trigger(OP or any p30 owner/experienced shooter): From some of the searching I've done it seems there's a love/hate relationship with it, ie either you love it or hate it.

Depends on what variant you want.

I personally prefer the V3 DA/SA.

PaulL
01-23-12, 06:52
I've never cared much for DA/SA triggers, so the LEM was what pushed me over the edge. When decocked and fired, it's just a long, very heavy (12 lbs.?) DA-type pull. This would really only come into play if you had a FTF and wanted to hit it again. Any other time, it will be cocked due to chambering a round or being fired. When cocked and fired, the trigger feels like a light DA for about 98% of the stroke and like a sloppy, slightly heavy SA after that. It's not a DA only, and it's not a SA. Something in between, and consistent from shot to shot. After firing, the reset is about 30% of the stroke. I'm finding it surprisingly easy to learn to run the trigger well.

I really like having an exposed hammer, too. Holstering with a thumb on the hammer makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Lucky Strike
01-23-12, 19:51
Love my P30. I sent mine to Greyguns for his reset reduction trigger job. Also bought a spare slide release lever and had it chopped so that my thumb wouldn't hit it.

I've got Straight 8's on mine...i've got Straight 8's on my other iron sighted handguns though so I guess i just don't know if they work better or worse then some of the other options out there. I'm happy with them so have never bothered to experiment.

I just wish that you could mill a MRD into the slide because I'm having so much fun with my Deltapoint'd M&P9 that I want one on all my semi autos now.

montrala
01-24-12, 08:06
I just wish that you could mill a MRD into the slide because I'm having so much fun with my Deltapoint'd M&P9 that I want one on all my semi autos now.

Something like this: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjxxK1Pv ?

;)

E-man930
01-24-12, 18:05
I had a P30, last year, and loved it. Felt like the grip was made just for me, and loved the ambidextrous slide release. After buying a substantial amount of support gear for it, I ran it through it's paces at a Team Tactics class. Had the same issue with the slide not locking back after the last shot.

Long story short. Sold it, and all the gear, at a considerable loss. I'm carrying a Sig now. (Don't get me wrong. I love HK. The P30 just doesn't work for me. A USP compact, with 30 grips, would be the perfect pistol)

You should have just bought the shorter slide release levers from the P30S and have been done with it...

PaulL
02-16-12, 04:51
I'm up to 1000 rounds now with no issues, but I have learned a few of things:

1. I'm changing the springs to remove some of the "stop" right before the trigger breaks. I keep staging it and have to stop myself. I have the lighter FPBS and HS on the way now. I'm going to keep the TRS the same as per Todd Green's setup and see how it feels.

2. Heinie Straight Eights are in the mail. The stock sights have to go. Now. There's no daylight around the front sight and it's a pain to line up quickly. I blacked out ALL of the factory dots. FWIW, if you do this, scrape over the dot with a knife to remove the smooth surface. A sharpie will then do a fine job blacking it out.

3. I have big hands. The medium grip panels and back strap felt really nice, but I started shooting eleventy billion times better with the larger ones. It also helped keep my thumb off the slide release. I'm going to keep the SR stock for now. I've been able to work around it.

4. The P30 is the most comfortable gun I've ever carried. I'm still primarily carrying the M&P when I go out, but around the house I've found that I forget the P30 is there. Lots of people say that, but I've never experienced it until now.

montrala
02-16-12, 05:55
1. I'm changing the springs to remove some of the "stop" right before the trigger breaks. I keep staging it and have to stop myself. I have the lighter FPBS and HS on the way now. I'm going to keep the TRS the same as per Todd Green's setup and see how it feels.

Using heavy TRS and rest of spring in light version masks any staging (slack, firing pin safety, sear release) and gives smooth pull. I prefer it light TRS. My carry P2000SK LEM is set up this way for last 8 years.

Heidevolk
02-16-12, 09:20
Great post. You punks make me want to try the P30... :jester:

munch520
02-16-12, 16:08

Hopefully idots soon too?

d90king
02-16-12, 16:25
That's not really the issue.
Thumb pressure or lack thereof on the front of the gun is essentially irrelevant, and completely irrelevant when it comes to activation of the slide release.
The firing hand thumb needs to wrap around/away from the frame on the base of the thumb of the support hand, which keeps the slide release free from thumb pressure.

Sights:

That is generally the case on most other bottom feeders, but this one is actually a bit unique in that you can ride it with your support thumb also, because it is sooooooo long.

I helped another member with the same problem just the other day.

What you have to end up doing is as you described (which in my opinion is a good practice on any semi pistol as it allows you to pick up any pistol and run it without interfering with the controls) your strong thumb should rest on top of and slightly to the left of your support thumb as you describe. Then what I have found to work best, after working on multiple grips on this pistol, is to take your support thumb and rest it on the rail of the P30. This will drop your support thumb low enough that it wont contact the forward edge of the SS. Why Hk made the part this long baffles me, but it is what it is, and you must adapt and overcome.

Since transitioning to this technique I have had no further issues with the controls. It will take a few reps obviously, but once done a good bit, you will find that your hands will start to naturally fall there on their own.

I will try and get a few pics illustrating the grip for future reference. It seems about 60-75% of new shooters encounter the same issue with the controls if they have medium to larger hands.

As far as sights, Heine owns the market for the Hk P30 and Hk 45.

Failure2Stop
02-16-12, 16:32
That is generally the case on most other bottom feeders, but this one is actually a bit unique in that you can ride it with your support thumb also, because it is sooooooo long.

I didn't have an issue with mine, but since I have not seen nearly as many P30 shooters as I have on other platforms, I will defer to your experience.

ETA: I switched back to my G19 last Oct, so I had to dig my P30 out and grip it again.
I usually shot it with an X300, but my thumb does fall right on the rail gap.
It's how I normally grip a pistol anyway, so I didn't really think about it as a factor.
(I'm used to people shooting how I ask them to :))

d90king
02-16-12, 16:35
Best I can do. Sorry.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/Photo19.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/Photo20.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/Photo22.jpg

Failure2Stop
02-16-12, 16:39
Best I can do. Sorry.

Yup.
See my "ETA" above.

d90king
02-16-12, 16:46
I didn't have an issue with mine, but since I have not seen nearly as many P30 shooters as I have on other platforms, I will defer to your experience.

ETA: I switched back to my G19 last Oct, so I had to dig my P30 out and grip it again.
I usually shot it with an X300, but my thumb does fall right on the rail gap.
It's how I normally grip a pistol anyway, so I didn't really think about it as a factor.
(I'm used to people shooting how I ask them to :))

Roger that! Some run their thumbs a bit higher and thats when they run into trouble with the front edge... I run my Glocks with my thumb on the ledge and not quite as low as the rail.

Kyle teaches it as a way to mitigate recoil when running them hard and I find it works pretty damn well...

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-16-12, 17:17
I sent my slide to tool tech and had them install trit in the front sight. That was I got to keep the factory zero.

PaulL
02-16-12, 17:18
After 1000 rounds and probably as much dry fire, my grip has gradually migrated to something similar to your photos. I'll try to get a nice photo of it for posterity. I'm glad I tried to work through it rather than change parts. It's another example of how just shooting the stupid gun will let you know what you really NEED to change...

varoadking
02-16-12, 18:05
I like just about everything about my light LEM P30...other than the fact that I can't shoot it worth a damn...

Shame...

Kevin P
02-16-12, 22:14
I like just about everything about my light LEM P30...other than the fact that I can't shoot it worth a damn...

Shame...

Sounds like a problem with trigger control.

PaulL
02-17-12, 04:14

Shame...

Something is wrong with your technique. When I roll through the trigger properly, I'm rewarded with a little hole in the paper right in front of my front sight. I can hit tiny things way out there - IF I do it correctly. I haven't shot anything that felt like that since my last good 1911. It's like a frikkin laser beam.

If you've been shooting 1911s, Glocks and M&Ps you'll need to seriously check yo' self. :D

d90king
02-17-12, 12:49

Shame...

How much have you trained with the pistol? What pistol do you shoot "well" and what defines "well" for you? What issues are you having with it?

Shooting well takes hard work, time, effort and money. You can't expect to pick up a new gun and shoot it as well as the gun that you have 50k rounds through that you are comparing it to.

I can assure you in this case it you, and not the pistol.

d90king
02-18-12, 09:43
Sorry, but what is funny? Are you saying the gun sucks and the user doesn't need to improve his skills?

Meh, let it go...

In fairness I have found the P30 to be a pistol that takes a good bit of work to get dialed in with. The trigger is "less than ideal"... The LEM is better but it's still loooooooong and takes work, and lots of it, to shoot as well as other bottom feeders. In some cases folks find its not worth the work... :eek:

PaulL
02-18-12, 10:49
I think it's an accurate statement. You didn't say, "It doesn't shoot worth a damn."

You said:

...I can't shoot it worth a damn...

He (and I) merely supported your assertion that you were somehow a flawed shooter and encouraged you to devote some more time to practice with the pistol. If you don't quit on it, I bet it will perform well for you. I'm also finding that time on the P30 benefits me on other weapons as well. I hope you can see that this isn't an attack, and put the commentary to some use.

Heidevolk
02-18-12, 11:22
People do tend to take things personally. "You could improve this" should not be viewed as "you are a flawed person"

I prefer a Glock trigger, but don't necessarily think a DAO or its derivatives are inferior systems.

varoadking
02-18-12, 11:46
I think it's an accurate statement. You didn't say, "It doesn't shoot worth a damn."

You said:

He (and I) merely supported your assertion that you were somehow a flawed shooter and encouraged you to devote some more time to practice with the pistol. If you don't quit on it, I bet it will perform well for you. I'm also finding that time on the P30 benefits me on other weapons as well. I hope you can see that this isn't an attack, and put the commentary to some use.

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Had I said "I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it," would that have made any difference in your perception?

I am not butthurt because someone thinks they are a more skilled shooter than I am. That may or may not be the case. It's not with whether or not there is an issue with me, the P30 or the Mayan calendar.

It's that someone would have the balls to issue an indictment about someone they don't know without having a f'n clue. Hence my LOL...

Hope that helps...

Nephrology
02-18-12, 11:54
Thank you for your thoughtful post. Had I said "I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it," would that have made any difference in your perception?

I am not butthurt because someone thinks they are a more skilled shooter than I am. That may or may not be the case. It's not with whether or not there is an issue with me, the P30 or the Mayan calendar.

It's that someone would have the balls to issue an indictment about someone they don't know without having a f'n clue. Hence my LOL...

Hope that helps...

This is because 99.99% of factory new high quality pistols such as the ones produced by Heckler and Koch are capable of great mechanical accuracy. We don't need to know shit about you to know that if you aren't hitting your target it probably isn't the gun's problem.

That only leaves 2 variables : the ammo, and the shooter. And given that I've managed to make 3.5" groups at 25yds from rest with Wolf, the cheapest dirtiest ammo I can get my hands on, I suspect that leaves the shooter.

Don't get all butthurt that you can't shoot your gun well. It's not uncommon and it's something that should be fun to work on. If you thought we were going to somehow assume that you got the ONE pistol that HK shipped out with a barrel totally devoid of rifling, you are quite mistaken...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-18-12, 12:34
Actually, since you asked so nicely, what I'm saying is that it's rather pompous and presumptuous to make a remark like this to someone you don't know a tinker's damn about:

I used to love my Sigs, I could shoot the wings off of a fly with them...in single action. In DA I swore they had to be broken or inaccurate because I could hardly hit the target with them. It took a lot of practice to even get decent with that first shot, and by that time I had made the choice to go with the simplicity of a Glock 19. There are thousands out there who couldve grabbed my Sigs and shot in the black all day with DA. The problem wasnt the hardware, but the software.

Anyways, back to the P30. Ive wanted one for so long, but simply because of the trigger I cant bring myself to buy one. Different strokes for different folks, and a heavy DAO or DA/SA isnt for me.

d90king
02-18-12, 13:04
Guys, I appreciate the support and its nice to see that most understood what I was saying and didn't read more into it than was written or intended.

In this case, I simply chose not to engage the poster because I could clearly see that he wasn't interested in trying to improve and then I also realized it was the same poster that answered "name your top ten 1911's" with a picture of a Colt logo... That tells me enough about who is on the other side of the computer to know that its not worth engaging him.

Some got what I was saying, while others didn't. Its all good.

YVK
02-19-12, 18:14
I am not sure I am seeing anything at all that the guy (varoadking) said that deserved a dogpile and lecturing.

First, these two statements...

Something is wrong with your technique. When I roll through the trigger properly, I'm rewarded with a little hole in the paper right in front of my front sight. I can hit tiny things way out there - IF I do it correctly. I haven't shot anything that felt like that since my last good 1911. It's like a frikkin laser beam.

..are not mutually exclusive. "Can't shoot worth a damn" may mean many different things. I shoot my P30 better than just about anything else I own, with exception of a custom 1911, when it comes to static pure accuracy drills. I've cloverleafed 5 rounds at 7 yards more than once, and I've shot just over two inches groups at 25. This however barely tells me how I shoot a gun; it is a basic marksmanship, basic cornerstone, but not a reflection of a global skill.
I get massive amount of anticipation when shooting at low probability target at speed from a draw. My miss rate is much higher than I expect of myself, comparing historically to the same time and ammo investment with Glock, for example. So, I can easily say I can't shoot it worth a damn according to my standards, even though at slow pace I keep 30 rounds, 10 each for TH, SH, WH, in a 2 inch orange center of B-16 target set at 25 feet.

Shooting well takes hard work, time, effort and money.

I can assure you in this case it you, and not the pistol.

That is a general statement that is only relatively accurate.

Shooting well does take work, time and money, but if you've shot enough different pistols, you develop some expectations as to where you want to be performance-wise after certain investment of your resources. If I know from my experience with P7M8, 1911 or Glock how I shoot standardized drills and scores after 5000 rounds of practice/training, that becomes my set expectation. Failure to reach that benchmark with a new gun can't be attributed to me alone if I've honestly tried to master a new gun. Some pistols are harder than others, so, in a spirit of fair effort, I can add several thou of practice volume before my final decision. However, I am not going to attribute a fault solely to self if I can shoot FAST under 7 with Glock pretty consistently, but can't get better than 50% hits on 3x5 with P30 in a context of the same drill.
LEM is not an easy system to shoot. I know a number of very good shooters who couldn't make it work and moved on. In fact, I think you yourself didn't stick with it and went back to Glock, no? I am ready to call it too, as I am tired of performance inconsistency and efforts required to be happy with it.

PaulL
02-19-12, 21:46
Moving on...

I shot a little bit today with the Heinies and the new springs. It's everything I hoped for. The trigger doesn't stage much, if any, and the sights are a joy to use. I had to do quite a bit of filing on the front sight to get it installed, but no major issues. I recommend using a wood block cut to the shape of the slide if you're going to install these yourself. The P30's slide won't be secure in a normal sight pusher or vise with flat jaws due to the angled sides.

ap1220
02-20-12, 13:06
Glad to hear you like it. I just bought one off a member here and I love it. I was lucky enough to have night sites put on when I got it from my FFL. :dance3: So I guess now I'm a Proud member of the P30 club lol.

HKGuns
02-20-12, 13:57
Jeezz, tough crowd here, not so sure I am interested in a verbal gang rape.

Checking in with my light LEM 9mm P30.

Let the record show that I have no issues shooting mine, it also has not had issues with me shooting it.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v36/p238532374-5.jpg

PaulL
02-20-12, 16:55
Jeezz, tough crowd here, not so sure I am interested in a verbal gang rape.

I've never been gang raped here, verbally or otherwise. Some people should probably just sit back and think, "Maybe it's me...." ;)

Did you convert your LEM or did you buy the V1? If you converted it, how does the take up feel compared to the V2?

Heidevolk
02-20-12, 18:56
Surprised it functioned with your rounds backwards in the magazine :p

PaulL
02-20-12, 19:52
That's the sign of a true HK enthusiast! :)

YVK
02-21-12, 00:22
http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v36/p238532374-5.jpg

Hope you don't feel too bad; HK did the same thing with one of their P30 promotional posters. Somebody in their marketing department lost a job because of it, I am told.

LRB45
02-21-12, 06:33
Pretty sure he loaded his mag that way on purpose!

Kinda a running joke with H & K fans.

Heidevolk
02-21-12, 07:49
Ohhh so because HK messed up, its a running joke with fans. Cool, thanks for the info.

YVK
02-21-12, 09:22
K, my sense of humor let me down this time.

Heidevolk
02-21-12, 09:54
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8118/lolohl.jpg

HKGuns
02-21-12, 10:24
I've never been gang raped here, verbally or otherwise. Some people should probably just sit back and think, "Maybe it's me...."

Good to know, that sounds unpleasant! :)

Did you convert your LEM or did you buy the V1? If you converted it, how does the take up feel compared to the V2?

Bought it V1 and HK did the light LEM modification, so I can't provide that feedback.

The L-LEM trigger works very well, I can shoot it a little better than my PPQ that has an excellent trigger as well, although different. But i can shoot my DA/SA USP even better, so go figure. I suppose it is just a matter of what you're used to at some point. (I generally don't pay a lot of attention to trigger specifics, I figure there are a lot of different triggers out there and I'd better be versatile enough to shoot most of them well.)

Pretty sure he loaded his mag that way on purpose!

Of course!

NCPatrolAR
02-22-12, 08:39
I just finished deleting and editing quite a few posts in order to get rid of all of the insults and personal attacks that were being thrown about. Let's keep the thread on topic without the insults or I'm going to start modifying behavior in other ways

PaulL
04-08-12, 09:57
I'm a little over 2000 rounds now with no issues. There's been no maintenance other than changing the sights and lightening the springs, so reliability is great (not a surprise).

There is one BIG problem, though...

My stamp came back yesterday for my suppressor (a month earlier than expected! :eek:) and I still can't find a threaded barrel for this thing. I need one, and quick. Any ideas? I'm leaning toward buying a P30L barrel and having ADCO thread it...IF I can even find the P30L barrel to begin with...

Kevin P
04-08-12, 12:30
Have you tried HK parts.net or called HK?

munch520
04-08-12, 17:48
Good to hear PaulL! I'm over 1k and about 1/4 through the 2k round challenge with 0 issues.

Two guys, a vice cop and Army SF both asked to try the P30 last weekend. One was sitting at the range on his phone looking for a used one 10 minutes after shooting, and listed his pistol 'for sale' online as well :)

PaulL
04-08-12, 19:03
Have you tried HK parts.net or called HK?

HKParts has been out of stock for a while and HK will get a call tomorrow. I've been told there is no factory threaded barrel, though, other than one for the Canadian market that we can't buy.

NL7CO
04-11-12, 14:24
HKParts has been out of stock for a while and HK will get a call tomorrow. I've been told there is no factory threaded barrel, though, other than one for the Canadian market that we can't buy.

Look at http://www.mdwguns.com/Welcome_to_MDW_Guns.html. They import some barrels from Austria including a .357 Sig barrel for the P-30.

Some of the people on HKPro have said good things about these barrels, but I have no personal experience.

Scar face
04-11-12, 17:20
Very interesting link, thank you NL7CO!

I'm gonna give them a call and see how much it is. Maybe I can change my Raven holster to the threaded barrel cut in time before it enters the production process!

PaulL
04-12-12, 08:38
Thanks for that! This may be my solution...

NL7CO
04-12-12, 13:49
Glad to help.

Don