PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help Making a Chest Rig Decision

scottryan
12-14-07, 10:16
I'm looking at the Eagle/SKD special edition and the EssTac Bush Boar.

I want something that can hold mags securely without any type of flap or cord. Are cord retainers on the Bush Boar removable?

I don't like the big fixed flaps on the Eagle unit for the pistol mags.

I want something that is maybe more minimalist than bulky.

I need to carry at least six AR mags, 2 pistol mags. It also needs to have room for two silencer pouches (9mm and 5.56 silencers).

Is there any other rig I should consider? I don't want any Blackhawk stuff.

Hawkeye
12-14-07, 10:43
Get the SKD/Eagle all MOLLE version, add TT mag shingles as desired. :)

Another option would be a TT MAV rig body, and then add the pouches of your choice.

scottryan
12-14-07, 11:26
I'm also 6 foot tall if that helps.

Dave L.
12-14-07, 11:49
I only use Diamondback Tacitcal's Pistol Pouches(belt type and molle type). The flap is reversed so they are never in the way. The mags sick in solidly with no problems. The interior of the mag pouches is lined with a rubber type material for friction, but reloading is still fast.
Here is a link to the mollee version:
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/BattleLab-Double-Pistol-Mag-Pouch-with-DetLoc-9mm-P713C249.aspx

The chest rig will depend on availability and which style you want. Get something that doesn't chafe your neck. Usually, the unpadded shoulder straps that cross in the back will chafe your neck.

If you are not sure what you want or just want to be able to change it up; go with a rig with no pouches sewn on, and add what you need as you go.

cohiba
12-14-07, 12:16
The Eagle M4 FB is an option for you. The mag pouches are kydex lined for secure hold without cords or flaps. I added some double FB pistol pouches and a IFAK. You could also add your suppressor pouches easily. SKD carries this.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN2800.jpg

GIFFMANN
12-14-07, 12:34
Two excellent suggestions here, those being the TT MAV and the Eagle M4 FB Chest rig. Mav is a bit more versatile as you can add the X Harness for add'l padding over the shoulders and to integrate a Camelbak or other hydration pouch if you so choose. Plus, they are a bit easier to find right now as Eagle is AMAZINGLY backlogged at the moment.

I know Hawkeye has used MAVs for years and recommends them to his friends all the time. They really are a nice product at a very reasonable price

For mag pouches, the TT pouches do rock. Personally, I'm using an M4 pouch that is essentially an ATS pouch. Has Shock Cord around the circumference and allows you to carry 1 or 2 mags per pouch. Shock cord does not go over the tops of the mags. The Eagle FB pouches are also very nice, but again, very difficult to come by right now.

If you do decide to go the TT or ATS route, let me know. I can hook you up with both.

Giff

Hawkeye
12-14-07, 12:41
A Giff said, I am a big MAV rig fan. Eagle is tied with them as my other favorite gear line though. Hard to go wrong with either.

Cohiba.... where did you score a MC M4FB at??

GIFFMANN
12-14-07, 12:53
Cohiba is to MultiCam like King Midas was to Gold! :D

RD62
12-14-07, 14:26
I just used an Eagle M4 FB for Pat's Carbine course and it was GTG. No problems with retention. I am looking for some additional pouches to add to it. A couple of pistol pouches and maybe some non FB pouches for lights/multi-tool etc.

-RD62

flyfishdave
12-14-07, 16:56
scottryan,

I spent about 2 months researching rigs before deciding on a split-front trim bush. I will tell you up front that I'm not a high-speed LE/operator/mil guy, but rather a lo-speed 40 something guy looking for good gear to use at my club's monthly practical carbine events. The only thing hi-speed about me are the drills I use to cut teeth. :)

Anyway, regarding your question on the boar rig, the bungee cord/retainer can be removed by undoing a simple overhand knot; the depth of the pocket (and hence amount of mag exposure above the pocket) is adjustable. Since the pocket is sandwiched between the panel and you, retention w/o the straps is not an issue.

I decided on the split-front b/c this allows a more comfortable position shooting prone (just unbuckle and unzip), especially when you have some excess fatty 'baggage' like I do that gets in the way. For me, the split-front is also easier to get on and off.

I have the trim bush - holds 4 mags. For me, this was plenty for our carbine events, and minimized bulk around the torso. The available PALS real estate allows me to place an Emdom 6o4 magazine pouch and a small utility pouch on one side, and on the other, another small utility pouch and two small pouches for a multi-tool and knife.

While searching for a chest rig that suited me and my needs, I did use a Blackwater (a la Michaels of Oregon, aka Uncle Mikes) I/O lo-profile rig that was essentially a 4 mag chest panel. Aside from the funny attachment design, it served its purpose. However, after using this setup for prone shooting, I did realize a split-front would work better with me.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas!

Dave.

cohiba
12-14-07, 17:19
A Giff said, I am a big MAV rig fan. Eagle is tied with them as my other favorite gear line though. Hard to go wrong with either.

Cohiba.... where did you score a MC M4FB at??

Hey Hawk,

Eagle does an amazing amount of special runs for dealers as long as you buy a minimum (as Giff can attest) This particular run was for Steve at www.triadtactical.com. An awesome guy to deal with like Joe at SKD and our own Giffmonster.:D

I'm working on a group pic of all of my Multicam. It's like crack only more expensive and legal.:p I keep trying stuff trying to find the perfect set up with the intention of selling the old...and then I never sell the freaking old. Here's a partial pic. I need help.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN2806.jpg

Hawkeye
12-14-07, 17:31
Yeah, I am familiar with Eagle and custom runs, and Giff, and Joe, and Steve........ :D
I talked Giff into getting Eagle to do a run of Khaki fanny packs a couple of years ago.

Giff, we may need to talk......again.... ;)

Blake
12-14-07, 18:54
I have an Eagle/SKD rig. I have used it in a couple of classes, and I like it but it doesn't have any form of retention for the AR mags. The pistol mag pouches on the front have flaps that fold over, but the center AR mag pouches don't have any sort, as some of you may be aware. What is the best way to go about adding something for retention. I have thought about putting some bungee cord with tabs on. Is it possible to buy Kydex inserts for the pouches? If would rather have nothing that goes over the top of the mags, but if there is no other alternative, I may have to re-evaluate another rig.

rob_s
12-14-07, 19:16
IMHO that's alot of stuff to stick on a basic chest rig. I found that the benefit of the chest rig is keeping it simple. I'd at least 86 the idea of suppressor pouches (frankly I don't much see the point in them anyway).

The Eagle M4FB is what I run, and I keep it very simple with the 3 rifle mag pouches it comes with and a single pistol mag on the support side. I may add a surefire pouch to the strong side, but I really like to keep it streamlined.

scottryan
12-14-07, 22:22
IMHO that's alot of stuff to stick on a basic chest rig. I found that the benefit of the chest rig is keeping it simple. I'd at least 86 the idea of suppressor pouches (frankly I don't much see the point in them anyway).

The Eagle M4FB is what I run, and I keep it very simple with the 3 rifle mag pouches it comes with and a single pistol mag on the support side. I may add a surefire pouch to the strong side, but I really like to keep it streamlined.

I was just planning on have some rifle mags a pistol mag or two a suppressor and a flashlight.

The rigs I'm looking at have enough space for all that.

I probably won't have all that stuff on it at the same time. I should have clarified that in the OP.

scottryan
12-14-07, 22:25
I also want something in light brown, coyote, or tan, etc.

No camo, green, or black.

I was also looking at the STS X harness.

toddackerman
12-15-07, 12:40

I agree with Rob and got the Eagle M4FB. Here is my current setup, but I'm waiting on a M9 Mag Pouch to mount on the strong side for a SF G2 (that you see on the weak side in a double M9 pouch) Once I get it configured, the double M9 pouch will carry (2) 1911 Mags. (I like those a little loose).

Very simple, and light. This rig resides in my "Grab and Go" rifle case.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/toddackerman/MRPChestRigCommander.jpg

scottryan
12-15-07, 22:20
How is the retention of the mags on the built in Eagle pouches compared to the TT pouches.

BushmasterFanBoy
12-16-07, 00:16
If I were you, I'd go with a MAV chest rig with all MOLLE webbing front.

The only reason being that if it is your intent to carry 6 mags, and all that other stuff, you should not have to "double up" your pouches. The M4 FB, from Eagle, is an OK option, but the webbing is only 3 columns on each side of the mags, this means you can only put 5 on, before you have to double-thick your rig. Chest rigs are hard enough to go prone on, no reason to make it harder.

Also, as far as pouches go, I'd get the Eagle FB pouches (they are available for AR mags, 1911 mags, and double stack pistol mags), they have kydex inserts, which means mags are retained with no need for flaps. You can put 6 of these center, 2 pistol mags on the left side, and 2 suppressor pouches on the other side, no problem.

If you buy the Eagle FB, you will have to start doubling up your pouches, not to mention I'm not sure if you could even get all that on one of them, they are pretty small horizontally.

Eric
12-16-07, 05:49
I think the TT MAV and Mini-MAV work well. I have a Mini with just 3 M16 mags and two pistol pouches. Even though they have retention tabs, they are easily moved off to the side and retention is still very good.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Mini%20MAV/IMG_2452.jpg

scottryan
12-16-07, 10:19
So do the TT pouches not have kydex?

flyfishdave
12-16-07, 12:35
Sorry I don't have the entire rig - one side panel is out for a small stitch repair. Here is one side panel, with 2 30-rounders in bungee pouch, a GP pouch and the Emdom 6o4 pouch. You can also see the zipper and fastex split-front setup.

http://images32.fotki.com/v1064/photos/1/126714/4600136/essstac3-vi.jpg

Two top views; shows mag shingle attached to front panel; very lo-profile:

http://images34.fotki.com/v1079/photos/1/126714/4600136/esstac1-vi.jpg

http://images31.fotki.com/v1049/photos/1/126714/4600136/esstac2-vi.jpg

Removable mag shingle, removed from panel; shingles can be made for .308/AK mags, etc...larger boars will have more pouches and/or wider shingle.

http://images32.fotki.com/v1060/photos/1/126714/4600136/esstac4-vi.jpg

Velcro backing to attach to front panel - trust me, it will not come off:

http://images34.fotki.com/v1081/photos/1/126714/4600136/esstac5-vi.jpg

GIFFMANN
12-16-07, 15:34
So do the TT pouches not have kydex?

They do not, but they don't really need them.

scottryan
12-16-07, 18:41
They do not, but they don't really need them.

Why is that?

GIFFMANN
12-16-07, 22:19
The pouch covers a large bit of the magazine and they fit quite snug.

The kydex insert was a request from a certain unit at Ft. Bragg, hence the FB designation. While it is a nice to have, unless you're being VERY vigorous, you will most likely not have any problems with retention.