PDA

View Full Version : Cut down a 20" BCM Barrel for a "Precision"-type Setup?

sundance435
01-19-12, 11:03
I have the chance to get a good deal on a complete BCM 20" rifle with a DD Lite 12" rail. Would it be worth it to have the barrel cut to 18" to use it as the base for a more precision AR, say out to 600-650 yds?

I'd be putting in a Geisselle trigger, but as for other mods, what say you?

What's a good optic for out to 600-650? I'm not big on variable power optics, but I'm not adverse to them, either.

Other mod suggestions?

Thanks!

austinN4
01-19-12, 16:45
I have the chance to get a good deal on a complete BCM 20" rifle with a DD Lite 12" rail. Would it be worth it to have the barrel cut to 18" to use it as the base for a more precision AR, say out to 600-650 yds?
Since it is the same barrel either way, why not just leave it at 20"?

sundance435
01-19-12, 18:11
Since it is the same barrel either way, why not just leave it at 20"?

Unless I'm mistaken, the 20" w/ A2 is actually 21.2".

Firefox
01-19-12, 21:58
Sundance,

What exactly is your intended use for this rifle/upper? If you will simply be shooting at a local range a 20" barrel will be more than sufficient for 600 or so yards. If this is the case I see no reason to spend good money cutting down the barrel and such when that money could be better spent on things such as a quality optic for your rifle. However if you plan on hiking or moving around with the rifle where weight and maneuverability are a large concern an 18" barrel may be worth looking into.

As far as optics are concerned I too, am working on a long range AR and the Leupold Mark AR and Nikon m-223 line seem to be the best bet that I am aware of if you are on a budget and are what I am currently looking into. They run for about $450-550 and all have variable power. In addition they are available in a duplex or mil dot reticle with a BDC. However if you are willing to spend a bit more money I would look into the Leupold mk.4 line and Night Force optics.

-Jack

Alaskapopo
01-20-12, 04:03
Sundance,

What exactly is your intended use for this rifle/upper? If you will simply be shooting at a local range a 20" barrel will be more than sufficient for 600 or so yards. If this is the case I see no reason to spend good money cutting down the barrel and such when that money could be better spent on things such as a quality optic for your rifle. However if you plan on hiking or moving around with the rifle where weight and maneuverability are a large concern an 18" barrel may be worth looking into.

As far as optics are concerned I too, am working on a long range AR and the Leupold Mark AR and Nikon m-223 line seem to be the best bet that I am aware of if you are on a budget and are what I am currently looking into. They run for about $450-550 and all have variable power. In addition they are available in a duplex or mil dot reticle with a BDC. However if you are willing to spend a bit more money I would look into the Leupold mk.4 line and Night Force optics.

-Jack

The Vortex PST is an in between option at less than 1000 bucks and you can have it in a first focal plane. I like the 4-16 that I purchased in Mil Mil.
Pat

austinN4
01-20-12, 06:03
My point exactly; although, Jack said it much better than I did.

The Vortex PST is an in between option at less than 1000 bucks and you can have it in a first focal plane. I like the 4-16 that I purchased in Mil Mil.
I have the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP mil/mil and it is a very good scope for the money, IMO. If you are interested in one, do yourself a favor and call or email Scott at Liberty Optics: http://www.libertyoptics.com/

Iraqgunz
01-20-12, 07:09
This is a little crass. Why in hell would you want to chop perfectly good 20" barrel down to 18? To what end.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with an 18" barrel, I just don't know why anyone would contemplate doing it.

If you want a compact rifle/AR then get an 18" set up and use a Vltor A5. then you will have more compact.