PDA

View Full Version : Subcompact winter carry option

p..
01-19-12, 15:43
Outer left breast pocket on this Carhartt coat. The lining of the pocket as it comes is only attached around the zipper opening, so you'll have to do a little sewing to attach the upper left corner of the pocket lining to the shell of the coat near the arm to support the weight. But once that's done, barely prints, nothing on your ankle or belt, stays put, the brass zipper closes up so when you need it just yank down and and it's right there.

Subcompact Glock carries vertically, muzzle down. Not super fast to draw, but at least it's with you. And you could draw while bundled up, seated in a vehicle with the seatbelt on.

link to coat on Carhartt site (http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=154562&langId=-1&categoryId=10927&top_category=10926)

http://carharttimages.carhartt.com//is/image/Carhartt/C61DKB

F-Trooper05
01-19-12, 15:51
Nifty idea, but I'm not gonna ditch my $450 Arc'teryx Beta AR when I have no problem drawing from my belt.

mhanna91
01-19-12, 23:35
I don't consider jacket pocket carry a good option for me. If I wear a jacket to town, out to eat or to somebody's house, I usually take it off once I'm indoors and this would separate me from my gun. I don't like not having immediate control over my gun. I don't advocate "summer carry" and "winter carry". I carry the same gun/holster every day all year long. That way I always know where my gun is going to be if I ever needed to get to it. Plus, I subscribe to the idea that consistency is important for concealed carry. I never understood why some guys have 5 or 6 different gun/holster combos and carry "whatever I feel like today". Sounds like trouble to me. I wouldn't want to have to reach for a gun only to realize that I didn't put it there today.

p..
01-19-12, 23:46
I specifically needed a way to carry with the coat on, have the gun stay with my coat when I took it off, and not have it visible at any time.

It is just an option. I am not advocating it, just offering it.

mhanna91
01-20-12, 00:17
Roger that. Different strokes for different folks. Is the jacket going into a locker of some sort when you take it off?

Alaskapopo
01-20-12, 00:34
I just use my Milt Sparks Versa Max II summer and winter. I could see that being an option if you were going to be staying outdoors and had to keep your coat zipped because it was cold.
Pat

loganp0916
01-20-12, 08:32
I just use my Milt Sparks Versa Max II summer and winter. I could see that being an option if you were going to be staying outdoors and had to keep your coat zipped because it was cold.
Pat

Does your coat have to stay zipped? I thought the pocket had a zipper that you could close and conceal the weapon.

ra2bach
01-20-12, 10:45
SIG has a coat in their SIGTac line that is designed with concealed holster pockets built in.

it works pretty well for concealment and management of the gun but after a while, with anything heavier than a small .380 auto or similar, it's like having a small child hanging from your neck.

Alaskapopo
01-20-12, 12:58
Does your coat have to stay zipped? I thought the pocket had a zipper that you could close and conceal the weapon.

I am talking about only using this method when it so cold out that you have to keep your coat zipped to stay warm. Sorry for the confusion.
Pat

nineteenkilo
01-20-12, 13:23
Fortunately, that's the exact coat I wear every day. I never considered tacking the pocket up though. I just carry as is.