PDA

View Full Version : Del Ton....G2G?

HK51Fan
01-19-12, 16:31
My buddy just called me from Shot and told me that Del Ton is running a shot special. 50.00 for a lower, and 300.00 for a complete upper w/ chrome lined bore, charging handle, and BCG.....I told him to grab me one of each and my other buddy picked up 3 of each....I don't have any exeperience with Del Ton, but I thought I've read other people positive reviews.
What say thee?:big_boss:

RichDC2
01-19-12, 16:52
The pricing would be a "clue"
My buddy just called me from Shot and told me that Del Ton is running a shot special. 50.00 for a lower, and 300.00 for a complete upper w/ chrome lined bore, charging handle, and BCG.....I told him to grab me one of each and my other buddy picked up 3 of each....I don't have any exeperience with Del Ton, but I thought I've read other people positive reviews.

polymorpheous
01-19-12, 16:53
http://m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=delton&siteurl=m4carbine.net%2F

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/kcimb/DSC00858.jpg
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDR1VuFCJMA8KlFSNiRUeKCAUJOm88VxTmevjQoSd8U9721k2pU_OVfi1j
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3NHu2PMYHwSG7wJXfX854ypjGrlOiq2ZPzE0caR__lCbKng9lAELQWq0E

Hmac
01-19-12, 16:54
.I told him to grab me one of each and my other buddy picked up 3 of each....I don't have any exeperience with Del Ton, but I thought I've read other people positive reviews.

I'm skeptical that you've read very many, if any, positive reviews of DelTon on this forum.

DeltaSierra
01-19-12, 16:57
Del-Ton is junk.

They throw any semblance of quality out the door, and do their very best to produce a mediocre weapon.

A glance at the chart should have been quite sufficient for you to make an informed decision.

Ickisrulz
01-19-12, 17:00

Straw purchase?!

polymorpheous
01-19-12, 17:02
Straw purchase?!

:rolleyes:

thegreatscotsman
01-19-12, 17:07
Thee I say buy the peace of mind of Colt or BCM for around $650ish.

HK51Fan
01-19-12, 17:14
Straw purchase?!

really that's what you're bringing to the table? he's a dealer and will tranfer it to me like a normal purchase.....well that's unless I can get him to cancel my order.....to the guys that gave it to me straight and didn't yank my chain.. I appreciate it!! To the rest.....well you already don't you....i wouldn't be saying anything you haven't heard before.

DemonRat
01-19-12, 17:25
I own a Del-Ton and I say don't do it. It's not really all that great of a rifle. If you only plan on putting say 1000 rounds thru it a year then make a plinker out it. Don't use it for anything else. I let my 9 yr old use it for his plinker while I save up for a real firearm a Colt. Not saying its a bad rifle just wouldn't really trust it if I needed to use it in a SHTF scenario. I am glad it was given to me. Cause since I have been a member here I have learned why I got it. It's not a Colt or other Quality rifle. It goes bang everytime so far but I have heard of some bad things happening like the pics above that were posted. So far I have put 3000 rnds of various ammo thru it and only a few FTE or FTF but thats only because she was a dirty thing. After a quick cleaning she was fine, but I still wouldn't bet my life on it.

HK51Fan
01-19-12, 17:29
I own a Del-Ton and I say don't do it. It's not really all that great of a rifle. If you only plan on putting say 1000 rounds thru it a year then make a plinker out it. Don't use it for anything else. I let my 9 yr old use it for his plinker while I save up for a real firearm a Colt. Not saying its a bad rifle just wouldn't really trust it if I needed to use it in a SHTF scenario. I am glad it was given to me. Cause since I have been a member here I have learned why I got it. It's not a Colt or other Quality rifle. It goes bang everytime so far but I have heard of some bad things happening like the pics above that were posted. So far I have put 3000 rnds of various ammo thru it and only a few FTE or FTF but thats only because she was a dirty thing. After a quick cleaning she was fine, but I still wouldn't bet my life on it.

Thanks. I was able to cancel my order...so I'm good.

Note to self....when your buddy calls you at lunch and asks you if you want to buy something you know nothing about......DON'T DO IT!!

polymorpheous
01-19-12, 17:46
Note to self....when your buddy calls you at lunch and asks you if you want to buy something you know nothing about......DON'T DO IT!!

Lesson learned.
You are ahead of 90% of most of us forum members.

Inkslinger
01-19-12, 17:48
So wait, I don't get it...was this thread a joke or not?

HK51Fan
01-19-12, 17:51
not...........I know! :rolleyes:

TR1
01-19-12, 17:56
$50 lowers? Another excellent example of: you get what you pay for. And sometimes you get even less.

Ickisrulz
01-19-12, 18:35
really that's what you're bringing to the table? he's a dealer and will tranfer it to me like a normal purchase.....well that's unless I can get him to cancel my order.....to the guys that gave it to me straight and didn't yank my chain.. I appreciate it!! To the rest.....well you already don't you....i wouldn't be saying anything you haven't heard before.

Just pointing out what might be obvious. You didn't mention he was a dealer. I just thought you might be new to firearms since you were asking about Del-ton products here. Sorry.

Ickisrulz
01-19-12, 18:36
$50 lowers? Another excellent example of: you get what you pay for. And sometimes you get even less.

You can get Aero Precision lowers for $70.00 each here in Vegas. Might not be $50, but they are a very good deal and most are happy with them.

Bimmer
01-19-12, 18:36
Note to self...

" In War, Strife, and Acts of Bravery, it's always the strong one's that get taken from the GENE POOL......and we wonder why society is getting weaker!!!" - by me

Another note to self: proofread pseudo-clever signature line before posting.

Terminator2003
01-19-12, 18:59
Even though the uppers are known to be sub-par quality, I would have probably still bought the lower for $50. Almost all forged lowers are going to be of similar quality at least from what I have seen/read about, so you should have been fine with that, and then just bought a quality upper like a BCM. Their lpk could be low quality too, so as long as you pick a decent brand for that, the Delton lower itself should work as good as any other. ;)

SomeOtherGuy
01-19-12, 19:12
Even though the uppers are known to be sub-par quality, I would have probably still bought the lower for $50. Almost all forged lowers are going to be of similar quality at least from what I have seen/read about, so you should have been fine with that, and then just bought a quality upper like a BCM. Their lpk could be low quality too, so as long as you pick a decent brand for that, the Delton lower itself should work as good as any other. ;)

Yeah, I used to think that. Then I tried to install a TangoDown grip onto an Aero Precision lower and discovered that some corners were cut. Like threading the grip screw hole all the way up. An hour and some dremel work on the screw later, I got it installed. I could offer other examples with some other budget lowers (including other brands that don't thread the entire hole). The differences among lowers are often less than the differences for other parts, but there are still differences.

Terminator2003
01-19-12, 19:46
Yeah, I used to think that. Then I tried to install a TangoDown grip onto an Aero Precision lower and discovered that some corners were cut. Like threading the grip screw hole all the way up. An hour and some dremel work on the screw later, I got it installed. I could offer other examples with some other budget lowers (including other brands that don't thread the entire hole). The differences among lowers are often less than the differences for other parts, but there are still differences.

That can happen, but as long as the critical dimensions are in spec, I wouldn't care about having to chase threads with a tap, or stuff like that to save $50, or more on the part. In your case, it would have been a lot easier to do that rather than modifying the screw, but whatever made it work is good, I guess. More often, than not, you just end up paying for whatever rollmark you like best when buying lowers.

SomeOtherGuy
01-19-12, 20:34
That can happen, but as long as the critical dimensions are in spec, I wouldn't care about having to chase threads with a tap, or stuff like that to save $50, or more on the part. In your case, it would have been a lot easier to do that rather than modifying the screw, but whatever made it work is good, I guess. More often, than not, you just end up paying for whatever rollmark you like best when buying lowers.

Slight thread veer.... some other corners cut on the Aero Precision lowers I own:
-anodizing isn't tough and doesn't seem to be true class III (this may have been a single batch issue rather than a spec)
-forging flash isn't milled off at the radius above the grip - with many grips your hand may rub against this
-magwell is hardly flared at all, compared to almost any other brand I've seen

All little things, and for some people it's worth $50 to put up with those, for others it isn't. I agree that the critical dimensions are, by definition, most critical, and AP seems to do just fine on those. But there is some cost cutting going on still.

Hmac
01-19-12, 21:45
Almost all forged lowers are going to be of similar quality at least from what I have seen/read about, so you should have been fine with that,

Higher quality companies will have more stringent QC standards as to which lowers they buy will actually end up in consumer's hands. Better companies throw more receivers away for being out of spec or blemishes. The "all lower receivers are the same" argument just doesn't hold water.

0reo
01-19-12, 23:55
I own a couple Aero Precision lowers & uppers. The machine work is impeccable. The anodizing is only type 2 though. That is where they're cutting costs.

Terminator2003
01-20-12, 07:29
Interesting on the Aero lowers. Is that who produces the lowers for Delton? I know that most companies don't actually manufacture them, they just have their rollmark added, or possibly do the finish machining in house depending on the company.

jasonhgross
01-20-12, 07:54
COLT/BCM isnt that expensive when you consider having to replace the parts and worry about a Delton (or other similar manufacture).

Kokopelli
01-20-12, 08:02
A place up the road from me sells Delton's for $599.. Ron

C4IGrant
01-20-12, 08:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc-NHwdRmx8

C4

Terminator2003
01-20-12, 09:14
That is a very funny video, Grant!:D

Ickisrulz
01-20-12, 12:38
I own a couple Aero Precision lowers & uppers. The machine work is impeccable. The anodizing is only type 2 though. That is where they're cutting costs.

I see places advertise Aero Precision lowers as being type 3. While I have no idea what the difference looks like, when comparing my S&W lower to my Aero lower the coating looks identical. Are they both type 2 then or can the difference not be seen?

TedG
01-20-12, 13:37
http://m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=delton&siteurl=m4carbine.net%2F

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/kcimb/DSC00858.jpg
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDR1VuFCJMA8KlFSNiRUeKCAUJOm88VxTmevjQoSd8U9721k2pU_OVfi1j
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3NHu2PMYHwSG7wJXfX854ypjGrlOiq2ZPzE0caR__lCbKng9lAELQWq0E

Wow, I didn't know DelTon made two-piece bolts. Whadda concept!
:jester:

Terminator2003
01-20-12, 13:42

They do that for extra accuracy.;)

Colt guy
01-20-12, 20:47

Are those Del-ton parts?

SomeOtherGuy
01-21-12, 11:21
Somewhere around 2008 Del-Ton had a batch of bolts with a huge proportion of defective ones - I think it was a heat treat issue. Huge number of failures. My understanding is that they will replace any that break (at least from that batch) but aren't doing preemptive replacements of bolts that have not broken. Consistent with a recreational type of AR.

Colt guy
01-21-12, 12:02
Somewhere around 2008 Del-Ton had a batch of bolts with a huge proportion of defective ones - I think it was a heat treat issue. Huge number of failures. My understanding is that they will replace any that break (at least from that batch) but aren't doing preemptive replacements of bolts that have not broken. Consistent with a recreational type of AR.

thanks that's what I wanted to know.