PDA

View Full Version : A feel good story about three little Mk 12s that could...

ALCOAR
01-20-12, 10:55
So I was almost done reading all the way through this fantastic gun rag(believe it or not) at Wally World, and came across this brief story inside of a bigger article describing in great depth the Black Hill's Mk 262 mod 1 ammo.....and damn if I didn't have to buy the rag then just so I could share this story with you guys:)

I recommend picking up this particular magazine as it's great cover to cover. The magazine is Black Hills Ammunition: Anniversary Issue.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC03340-1.jpg

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC03344-1.jpg

Quote from the article with the story.....

" When put to the test in actual combat, Black Hills 77-grain Mk 262 performed even better than expected. For example, when a five-man U.S. Special Forces team searching for Scuds made contact with a reinforced Iraqi infantry company, things initially looked pretty bleak. Three men armed with 5.56 NATO-chambered Mk 12 sniper rifles covered a hasty retreat back to the LZ. Despite the overwhelming odds, the three Americans methodically set about their work. Using their Mk 12 rifles to its full potential, they filled the air with carefully aimed rifle fire. As the advancing Iraqis screamed and rattled away with their Kalashnikovs , huge gaps suddenly appeared in their ranks. Entire sections were being rapidly cut down outside the effective range of their return fire. Almost every time the air cracked, an Iraqi dropped. Unable to stand against the unerringly accurate rifle fire, the surviving Iraqis either threw down their guns or simply ran away. When it was over, 167 of their comrades had been cut down by 77-grain Mk 262s."

This is why I love precision based ARs, and specifically in this context...light precision ARs, the Recce and SPR rifles. When used correctly, they are as lethal as it gets:cool:

markm
01-20-12, 11:07
I would love to get my hands on this ammo....

All the commercial stuff I've messed with has been mediocre at best... mostly functional... but not premium ammo by any stretch.

ASH556
01-20-12, 11:43
Hey Trident, I'm sure you've read it, but if you haven't, pick up "Lone Survivor." Some pretty good accounts of the Mk12's effectiveness in that book.

ALCOAR
01-20-12, 13:15
Yeah Lone Survivor is a fantastic read for sure...my only issue with it is similar to Black Hawk Down, too many heroes lost their lives.

Marcus Luttrell did some serious work with his Mk 12 during that initial contact....My pal from NF said that Marcus's Mk 12 was equipped with a NF. Only a NF would survive falling hundreds of feet down Hindu Kush mountain ledges:cool:

Mark....you especially would enjoy this magazine read, right up your alley.