PDA

View Full Version : Need inexpensive rail system for M16 SP1's, help???

Eagle1*
01-20-12, 14:24
My dept has just received a few M16 SP1's from the late 70's, early 80's from the govt via their drmo program. All of the guys are wondering if there is a company that makes an inexpensive direct replacement rail system for these uppers since they have a smaller triangle slot at the FSB to hold the older narrower traingular hand guards on. Now, I do not know if this slot is smaller than the standard A2's but it sure does look smaller.

Did not know if anyone has checked into this already so I would not have to search forever looking for something that we could attach lights, slings and such to the front of these guns. Thanks..:confused:

skyugo
01-20-12, 14:39
midwest industries free float rails are about 150 bucks. that might be a good solution.

not sure if the MOE handguards will fit that gun, it would seem that they could be adapted though...

Eagle1*
01-20-12, 15:18
midwest industries free float rails are about 150 bucks. that might be a good solution.

not sure if the MOE handguards will fit that gun, it would seem that they could be adapted though...

yeah, I think the fsb triangular slot is smaller that the one they made to use with the magpul moe stuff.

Dano5326
01-20-12, 15:35
M16a1 & a2 handguards are interchangeable. I would go magpul MOE for mounting ($30-ish) a light.

GTifosi
01-20-12, 17:54
Surplus KAC RAS system will drop right in there.
New in box would likely be cost prohibative though.

GI_Jared
01-20-12, 19:36
Surplus KAC RAS system will drop right in there.
New in box would likely be cost prohibative though.

This, If A2 and A1 handguards are really interchangable then the RAS systems are the way to go. You can find guys selling surplus ones on Ebay for a really good deal. For example, I found one that is currently bid at $75 and there are probably 10 others up for auction. Check it out... (http://www.ebay.com/itm/KNIGHTS-ARMAMENT-RAIL-ADAPTER-SYSTEM-M5-FORWARD-POISTOL-GRIP-RAIL-COVERS-/230731194699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b8a6a14b#ht_500wt_1202)

Shane1
01-20-12, 20:10
I dont know how much of a time crunch your under but DRMO lists RAS's off and on when available. If the depot is close to you, cheap to pick up. If not, still cheap to get mailed.

5pins
01-20-12, 20:24
The A1 and A2 handguards are completely interchangeable like Dano5326 said. If all you need is a light and sling then I agree with the MOE .

Celt
01-20-12, 20:49
MOE + some MOE Rails.

Problem, solution.

Heavy Metal
01-20-12, 21:26
MOE is the way to go.

Mount N Slot makes a great MOE light mount and some non-rotating QD sling mounts and you can even put a Magpul MOE vertical Grip on it!

You can catually mount everything you need without bolting on a single rail section depending on your light.

reed503
01-20-12, 23:13
Couple of my guys just left the triangle hand guards and used a front sight mount with an X300 or a TLR1. Maybe not the ideal set up but it got a white light on their rifle inexpensively where they would otherwise not have one.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

Eagle1*
01-20-12, 23:25
now, what if they are sp1's? are they the same triangular slots as the a1/a2's?

Stickman
01-21-12, 17:59
M16a1 & a2 handguards are interchangeable. I would go magpul MOE for mounting ($30-ish) a light.

My thoughts as well, its going to be the cheapest and easiest way to do it while remaining effective.

Buck
01-22-12, 22:56
My dept has just received a few M16 SP1's from the late 70's, early 80's from the govt via their drmo program. All of the guys are wondering if there is a company that makes an inexpensive direct replacement rail system for these uppers since they have a smaller triangle slot at the FSB to hold the older narrower traingular hand guards on. Now, I do not know if this slot is smaller than the standard A2's but it sure does look smaller.

Did not know if anyone has checked into this already so I would not have to search forever looking for something that we could attach lights, slings and such to the front of these guns. Thanks..:confused:

I designed the Mossie Midnight Mount specifically for this purpose. I work at a large southern California agency that issues M16A1 rifles to our Officers and in addition to my field duties, I have been teaching our rifle program for over 10 years. Due to some recent policy changes, our Officers are now permitted to deploy the rifle any time they meet the drawing and exhibiting requirements for all of our other firearms, instead of having to meet some other extra criteria and make supervisory notifications.

What happened soon after these policy changes, is that I started to see Officers conduct building searches in the field with their issued M16A1s holding a Pelican flashlight in there support hand with the Chapman technique, while this does work, it is less than ideal.

All of these Officers had lights on their Glock pistols, but due to Department policies about no modifications to duty weapons, the only approved light option available for their rifles was the surefire M500 forearms, and they are in scarce supply.

What I wanted to do was take a light directly off my Glock 17 with the universal / GL Key installed and drop it right on my issued M16A1, and have it in the 12 o'clock position, and for it to be rock solid, and require no modifications to the host weapon. The solution I came up with is the Mossie Midnight Mount, it may not work for everyone in every situation, but it did work for me.

S/F

B

PS: I hate tape switches, but if you MUST have one, the Pict version is compatible with a TLR-1 and its tail cap for a tape switch...

SapperRob
01-23-12, 16:58
Issued the same rifel at work:
http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/robSWnc/photobucket-2885-1326754653169.jpg

The best/least expensive soluction is the MOE handguards. I use a MOE illumination kit (but regular 2" rail section would work) with a VTAC Surefire L4 light in VTAC mount. The sling mount is an earlier IWC QD mount.

Stay Safe,
Rob