PDA

View Full Version : fcg spring question

TheBelly
01-20-12, 18:16
Army says to relieve the spring tension by dry firing, then leaving the weapon on fire/semi when in storage. The reason being that it saves wear & tear on the fcg springs.

How much, if any, does this help? I'm assuming that worrying about the fcg spring tension to the point of relieving tension on this area is not that big of a deal. Thought I'd ask smarter folks than me, though.

GTifosi
01-20-12, 22:16
Springs tend to wear when they are cycled, not static.
So charged or released is no different to the spring, but the act of charging or releasing the hammer does make wear.

Iraqgunz
01-21-12, 03:42
Can you please indicate where the Army states to do this?

Army says to relieve the spring tension by dry firing, then leaving the weapon on fire/semi when in storage. The reason being that it saves wear & tear on the fcg springs.

How much, if any, does this help? I'm assuming that worrying about the fcg spring tension to the point of relieving tension on this area is not that big of a deal. Thought I'd ask smarter folks than me, though.

TheBelly
01-21-12, 09:25
Iraqgunz:

https://www.logsa.army.mil/psmag/archives/PS2011/709/709-43.pdf

Text from the above link:

"We continually run into the problem of M16 rifles and M4/M4A1 carbines being stored with the selector set to SAFE and the hammer cocked back.
Leaving the hammer cocked wears out its spring. To replace the spring, you must take out the pins in the lower receiver. But removing the pins repeatedly enlarges the pinholes so much they can no longer securely hold the pins. Then the whole lower receiver must be replaced.
I think a big part of the problem is that Soldiers must clear their weapons before they turn them in to the arms room. To do that, they lock back the bolt and put the M16 or M4 on SAFE. They leave the weapon that way when they give it to the armorer. And the armorer leaves it that way when he puts the weapon in the rack. Soon the hammer spring is shot.
If armorers would stress to their units that after they clear their weapons they need to set them to SEMI with the hammer and bolt forward and the dust cover closed, this problem would be greatly reduced. And, of course, armorers need to check that weapons have been cleared before they store them in the rack."

The Editor's response:

"Editor’s note: A simple check can save armorers and units time and money. And remember that your machine guns and pistols should also be stored uncocked with the bolts forward. Otherwise, their springs wear out, too. All springs should be relaxed for storage."

sgtrock82
01-21-12, 13:53
All I can add is this was the procedure at every facility I drew weapons from during my enlistment (96-00). I see zero benefit from placing a empty weapon on safe during storage.

ST911
01-21-12, 14:12
I've seen instructions to relieve hammer spring tension in print, but can't recall where. I also recall and know it to be much nonsense.

It's probably in the paragraph(s) below instruction to avoid overlubing the gun, and staggering bolt ring gaps.

More recently, the trend has been to not drop the hammer when unloading the gun, instead leaving it hammer-cocked with safety on in either storage or a mag-loaded condition. That last hammer drop is an unnecessary trigger press, and where NDs will most often be found.

M1AG30
01-21-12, 15:40
How do things like this become a "standard" you would think the Military would have at least the same knowledge as is available to civilians ... especially about a system we use..... ridiculous!

5pins
01-21-12, 16:40
That last hammer drop is an unnecessary trigger press, and where NDs will most often be found.

But the alternative is to store a loaded weapon and not know it. I like to have the hammer down with the selector on fire, that way it is a simple check to know the condition. If the switch will not go on safe then you know the hammer is down and the chamber is clear.

TheBelly
01-21-12, 19:35
After re-reading this little article, I came up with more questions:

Who changes fcg springs soooo much that they are destroying the holes in the lower receiver?

I guarantee that there aren't a whole lot of folks in the Army that have ever seen these holes get worn out. I haven't seen it in my 10 years, and after asking a few of the fellas, none of them have either.

I'm assuming this article is someone making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

SANDMAN23
01-21-12, 20:07
All I can add is this was the procedure at every facility I drew weapons from during my enlistment (96-00). I see zero benefit from placing a empty weapon on safe during storage.

Same here! During my enlistment (99-08) It was always SOP to turn in our M4's to the Armorer, charged and on safe. He would then rotate the selector from safe to semi and squeeze. Don't ask me why, its just he way my units did things. I can tell you though that once an armorer did not check that the weapon was clear and.....BANG!! Not my weapon but I was right outside the arms room. A chunk out of the concrete floor and a negative counseling statement.

Iraqgunz
01-22-12, 02:36
I have no issue about storing them in such a manner as I did the same in my armory. But conventional wisdom would seem to dictate that the springs are worn from usage just like magazines.

I disagree with the statement about the trigger and hammer pin holes. They are more often than not damaged by personnel doing an improper or unauthorized disassembly.

sgtrock82
01-22-12, 13:18
I totally agree, the reasons that wear laid out in that statement above reek of have been written by someone who was only armed with outdated theory and little practice...typical in my military experience.

IIRC Our procedure had been to enter the arms room with the bolt locked to the rear, pass it over the counter to the armorer who dropped the bolt, pulled the trigger, placed in rack and returned the soldiers weapons card. This didnt prevent some guy who thought his few years of service allowed him to break procedure and walk into the arms room after a late night return from an FTX with the bolt closed and pull the trigger before handing it over....It was loaded, thankfully it was a blank...Counselling statements ensued.