PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 mag parts question

rram4guy
01-20-12, 18:53
I got an aluminum usgi 30-round mag with an AR and want it to function as well as a PMag. I found the L-PLATE and ENHANCED SELF-LEVELING FOLLOWER on the Magpul website, but can't find a Magpul SS spring anywhere. Will a PMmag SS spring fit into an aluminum usgi 30-round mag and how do I get one? TIA.

ForTehNguyen
01-20-12, 19:00
thats all you need really. I dont think the pmag spring works in a USGI. The magpul follower is the biggest upgrade out of that.

LTMattyL
01-20-12, 19:16
Really, all you need is the follower, but if you want to upgrade the spring, check out Brownells

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41777/avs%7CManufacturer_1=BROWNELLS/Product/AR-15-M16-HIGH-CAPACITY-MAGAZINE-SPRINGS

Its not magpul but I have plenty of magazines with the Brownells chrome silicon springs and I haven't had any issues.

5pins
01-20-12, 20:28
Are you having problems with it functioning now?

Todd00000
01-20-12, 20:50
Are you having problems with it functioning now?

Yep, they work just fine stock.

From another thread.

Dear LTC Griffin,
I also have to say that I don't know of any written procedure for the length of time that a magazine can remain loaded.
I can however offer a technical explanation that may resolve some of the misconceptions concerning the issue.

1) The magazine spring will not lose any considerable force unless it is over-stressed or subjected to high temperature. The magazine spring is not over-stressed when the magazine is loaded with 30 rounds.
2) The Aluminum magazine feed-lips are also not over-stressed when the magazine is loaded with 30 rounds.

Just keep in mind that these explanations refer to U.S. Military Specification magazines supplied by authorized vendors that are inspected to Mil-Spec quality standards.

As long as the magazine is not damaged from previous use; my opinion is that moderately long periods will not harm the magazine.

Hope that this answers some of your questions...

Colt Defense LLC
Manager, Technical Services

ucrt
01-20-12, 21:34

I've never heard of a MagPul SS Spring made to fit a USGI Mag.

CS makes a better spring (as far as springs go) but SS seems to be "almost" as good plus there's no worry of rust.

But maybe it's just me...

Bob Reed
01-21-12, 07:27
Hello,

If you want the best magazine spring that money can buy - then get Ken Elmore's "Red Spring". http://www.specializedarmament.com/content/skins/flat/popup_issue_96.html

You'll find the Red Spring on Specialized Armament's AR-15 Parts Page. http://www.specializedarmament.com/catalog/AR_15_Parts-4-0.html

rram4guy
01-21-12, 10:20
I am always amazed (though no longer surprised) how good the m4C community is at keeping me honest ... I read the first "does it not work now?" post & realized I forgot to provide scope ... sorry.

I have an RRA m4 (<2 yrs old with <1k factory rnds thru it) and have done some mag change exercises with the usgi mag and 2 PMags. The only FTFs (2 or 3) have been the usgi mag. This, coupled with the PMags being easier to breakdown for cleaning (after every/other shoot) and my inclination toward standard parts got me thinking ... if I upgrade all mags to Magpul parts, I have reliability, spare parts, and don't have to remember which spring goes back into which mag housing.

If this affects any posts, let me know. Thanks for all the great replies!

5pins
01-21-12, 11:50
Toss the mag and get a new one. You can get new USGI mags with Magpul followers for around 9 bucks or just get some more Pmags. Bad mags are not worth fixing IMHO.

Generalpie
01-21-12, 12:24
Sage advice!

It isn't worth the couple dollars to mess around when Pmags are as cheap as they are.

Toss the mag and get a new one. You can get new USGI mags with Magpul followers for around 9 bucks or just get some more Pmags. Bad mags are not worth fixing IMHO.

ST911
01-21-12, 12:34
Read Rob_S's thread on going back to the USGI magazine. Lots of good information in there.

I use Magpul followers in my GI mags, as well as a number of Ken Elmore's "red springs". Both are GTG. The spring isn't a necessity, but added insurance.

RogerinTPA
01-21-12, 12:44
I got an aluminum usgi 30-round mag with an AR and want it to function as well as a PMag. I found the L-PLATE and ENHANCED SELF-LEVELING FOLLOWER on the Magpul website, but can't find a Magpul SS spring anywhere. Will a PMmag SS spring fit into an aluminum usgi 30-round mag and how do I get one? TIA.

I agree with the advice given, But...

Who is the manufacturer of that mag?

Univibe
01-21-12, 13:24
For USGI thirties stick with Okay-Colt-NHMTG.

rram4guy
01-21-12, 19:14
Thanks for the great feedback gents. It's an NHMTG with stock green follower and stock baseplate. I'm gonna get a 3-pack of Magpul followers, swap out the stock green piece and have a couple backups for my PMags. Then I'm gonna go shoot some more!

rram4guy
01-21-12, 19:15
Read Rob_S's thread on going back to the USGI magazine. Lots of good information in there.

Great tip! This was really helpful.

Univibe
01-21-12, 20:21
Thanks for the great feedback gents. It's an NHMTG with stock green follower and stock baseplate. I'm gonna get a 3-pack of Magpul followers, swap out the stock green piece and have a couple backups for my PMags. Then I'm gonna go shoot some more!

Magpul followers are aftermarket swap for USGI type. They don't fit pmags.

rram4guy
01-22-12, 09:52

Doh! Where did you find this info?

RogerinTPA
01-22-12, 11:59

Those are excellent mags. I have quite a few of them. I recently ordered 20 more, with the Magpul follower included, from 44Mag.

Dozer
01-22-12, 13:38

The Magpul PMag uses a standard magazine spring.

ucrt
01-22-12, 15:40

===========================

Thanks, Jimmy.
I thought because the P-Mag follower wouldn't fit a USGI mag that the spring would not fit too.

Dozer
01-22-12, 17:55
===========================

Thanks, Jimmy.
I thought because the P-Mag follower wouldn't fit a USGI mag that the spring would not fit too.

No problem. Glad I could help.

SteveL
01-22-12, 17:57
Those are excellent mags. I have quite a few of them. I recently ordered 20 more, with the Magpul follower included, from 44Mag.

I didn't even know about this site. Thanks for mentioning it.

markm
01-23-12, 07:44

CS makes a better spring (as far as springs go) but SS seems to be "almost" as good plus there's no worry of rust.

It's just you. CS failed Magpuls tests miserably. That's why Pmags don't some with that dog shit in them. :eek:

rram4guy
01-23-12, 08:59

Just doublechecked the Magpul site and it lists them as usgi replacement; I didn't realize this meant 'not compatible with PMag' ... thx for setting me straight.

Does Magpul also sell PMag springs?