PDA

View Full Version : RIS II question

Jaysop
01-20-12, 19:12
So I ordered a RIS II in FDE, I received it with a bolt up plate that was completely a different color from the rail. So I contacted brownells and they were very accommodating and sent me a replacement plate (still very off color but better)

At the same time I contacted brownells I also contacted DD and asked to purchase the part from them, They sent me out a black one...:suicide:

Ive given up on the color issue but heres where im confused.

The bolt up plate that originally came with it has anti rotational tabs but the other two don't. Including the one from DD directly (which is black)

Which one should I use? My first thought was to just use the one that came with the rail but obviously with such a substantial color difference it must of slipped threw the QC process anyway right?

I dont know if it matters but its going on a Vltor upper.

jonconsiglio
01-20-12, 19:21
Can you post a pic? I have two RIS II's and both are consistent in color. I would use the anti rotation one, but would ask DD about this.

I believe both of mine have the tabs. If not, I'll post back.

Jaysop
01-20-12, 19:42
Sorry for the shitty pics, Iphone and florescent lighting dont really convey the colors.

Am I crazy? Ive seen matching color rail/bolt up plate numerous times. But never took not of the tabs.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/jsop0331/risII.jpg

This image they look like they match but its actually quit different. I just wanted to show the tabs better.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/jsop0331/risII1.jpg

buckjay
01-20-12, 20:19
I'd use the one with the tabs (thats the one I had on both of my RIS IIs).

As far as DD customer service, I've been less then impressed.

The wrench I had didn't fit the nut (was out of spec), took them 2 months to mail me a wrench and the thing is still out of spec. I ended up putting it in a vice block and hammering it to get it to fit snug without just stripping the nut.

Also a friend of mine had a black DD RIS II and had to have the bottom rail replaced. They sent out one in FDE which was marked black and refused to acknowledge they sent out a FDE one. :nono:

MistWolf
01-20-12, 20:23
Which color you choose won't help the rifle shoot straighter, last longer or more run more reliably. If the bolt up plate with the tabs works best, use it. The different color will help break up the outline of the rifle- At least that's the official story when your OCD starts squawking about it

samuse
01-20-12, 21:37
I'd use the one with the tabs, color be damned.

I have a RIS II in FDE and had one in black and they both matched perfectly and had anti-rotate tabs.

Sorry to hear that Daniel Defense has had some not so great customer service. I was not aware of that, hope I never find out personally.

Belmont31R
01-20-12, 21:41
My guess is the ones without tabs are actually Lite rail plates and not RIS II plates which have the anti rotation feature with the tabs.

As far as the color mismatch I guess thats up to you. Anodizing is more art than science and there are going to be color variations batch to batch. If you want them better matched color wise maybe see if DD will just swap the unit with a new one. Shit happens...

BCmJUnKie
01-20-12, 21:51
Which color you choose won't help the rifle shoot straighter, last longer or more run more reliably. If the bolt up plate with the tabs works best, use it. The different color will help break up the outline of the rifle- At least that's the official story when your OCD starts squawking about it

I completely understand what you're saying, and I agree. My upper doesn't at all match a lower that I have, I don't mind. I actually really like it like that

But if I'm spending almost $400.00 for a RAIL...it better match :D

Jaysop
01-20-12, 22:03
Yea I mean at first I was seriously pissed about the color. Then I got over it. But seriously for the price shit better be right ya know what I mean?

You would think that as it was being packaged someone would of noticed. They're were also some scuffs on it out of the box. But that was going to happen anyway.

When I got my GenII lower I noticed a lot of white dots on it that just seems to be mistakes in the coating process.
Again for the cost I was a little pissed but let it go. Doesn't really matter.

FWIW the customer service from DD was excellent. He said he was the only one around and was getting pretty swamped with calls. Just sucks that I have 3 bolt up plates and not one of them is right.
I guess it will only really matter if I try to sell it.

jet66
01-20-12, 22:06
The wrench I had didn't fit the nut (was out of spec), took them 2 months to mail me a wrench and the thing is still out of spec.
Was it this particular version:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/jet1966/ARMods/DDWrench.jpg

I found the trick with it is to only put rotational force on it in the direction of the Sharpied arrow. (Dummy-proofed for me so I don't have to think about which way it should be facing. :D ) Even then, it has to be a gradually applied amount of force, and little turns at a time. It could definitely be beefier, but it works pretty well this way. I get the impression it's pretty much a consumable tool, and not designed for doing hundreds of installs.

I figured it out while removing a DD bbl nut that was f-in' on there. Some gentle tapping on the breaker bar helped to nudge the thing loose. Rotating with force the other way, it just spreads and pops off of the nut.

buckjay
01-21-12, 02:43
Was it this particular version:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/jet1966/ARMods/DDWrench.jpg

I found the trick with it is to only put rotational force on it in the direction of the Sharpied arrow. (Dummy-proofed for me so I don't have to think about which way it should be facing. :D ) Even then, it has to be a gradually applied amount of force, and little turns at a time. It could definitely be beefier, but it works pretty well this way. I get the impression it's pretty much a consumable tool, and not designed for doing hundreds of installs.

I figured it out while removing a DD bbl nut that was f-in' on there. Some gentle tapping on the breaker bar helped to nudge the thing loose. Rotating with force the other way, it just spreads and pops off of the nut.

Yeah, I was definitely not pushing the other way. It was just a tad too big and wasn't fitting on snugly (its possible the nut was slightly out of spec as I remember reading about out of spec DD nuts in the past). After I hammered on the wrench a bit it fit snug and came off super easy.

13MPG
01-21-12, 05:19
This is why the stopped offering FDE M4 and Lite rails. There was just to much inconsistency in what they were getting. At least that is what I have been told by a few guys at DD.

scottryan
01-21-12, 11:45
The collar between a lite rail and a RIS2 is not interchangeable. The screw holes are not in the same pattern.

The one with the anti rotational tabs is for a RIS2. The one without is for a lite rail.

The DD wrench is disposable. Expect to get one or to installs out of it and that is it.

BCmJUnKie
01-21-12, 12:26
The collar between a lite rail and a RIS2 is not interchangeable. The screw holes are not in the same pattern.

The one with the anti rotational tabs is for a RIS2. The one without is for a lite rail.

The DD wrench is disposable. Expect to get one or to installs out of it and that is it.

Another reason to get Centurion

Jaysop
01-21-12, 13:04
Another reason to get Centurion

Ive been thinking about just returning the rail just because of the aggravation.
Centurion would be choice #2 but im thinking they wont be as strong especially at 12"

Centurions mount right to a standard barrel nut right? They weren't designed to handle that kind of flex becasue it normally it would be supported down the the FSB... Correct?

Robb Jensen
01-21-12, 16:27
Contact DD for warranty. Ask for Joe Marler tell I told you to call, he'll take care of it.

Iraqgunz
01-23-12, 10:59
Per Joe at DD.

JSOP,

I am very sorry for your experience thus far with DD. I will do everything within my power to make this right.

First, I would like to address a couple of the issues that are posted above. In regards to the Bolt Up Plate Anti Rotational Tabs, these should definitely be present. If they aren’t, you don’t have a RIS II Bolt Up Plate; you have an AR15 Lite Rail Bolt Up Plate. The location of the threaded holes are slightly different so it’s important that you don’t try to use one of these with your RIS II.

In regards to the color matching issue, Brown (FDE) is a very difficult color to anodize consistently. Unlike Black, there are many different shades of Brown and the shade tends to vary from batch to batch. And since we anodize the rail systems separately from the bolt up plates, sometimes they don’t match up like we would prefer.

Here’s the fix. Send the complete rail system and bolt up plate back to me (I can send you a return shipping label so you don’t pay for anything). We will find a bolt up plate that matches your rail system as closely as possible and return it to you. Or if you want, just send us your entire upper and we will swap out the plate. It’s up to you. Feel free to contact me directly at 912-851-3251 or at jmarler@danieldefense.com.