PDA

View Full Version : wondering what others use to retain their nighstand pistol

curlyburns5
01-21-12, 02:43
Maybe my search-fu is weak but I couldn't find a thread on this. I am just curious as to what method of weapon retention y'all use in keeping your nightstand/bedside pistol. what holster or drawer safe is being used my our members to safely retain your pistol while keeping it at the ready?
To me, just keeping it in a holster would require two hands to draw your weapon thus slowing down your presentation when/if the circumstance presents itself.
I look forward to hearing what y'all are using.

ps - as always i want to thank our members who are in the armed services for serving our country proudly and thank the LEO guys as well for all that they do.

tdoom15
01-21-12, 02:59
My night Stand lol.

I leave it completely cleared off aside from pistol w/ light, extra 16rd mag, and a surefire g2x.

durus5995
01-21-12, 03:20
I keep my Glock 19 with TLR-1 in my drawer during the night with 2 spare mags and my lx2 on top of the night stand with my cellphone. During the day its usually on my hip. If I am going to somewhere I cant carry such as school either I will lock it up if my girlfriend is not home.

Mikey
01-21-12, 03:24
Gravity does a wonderful job securing mine to the nightstand.

It does double duty to hold my rifle as well.

DemonRat
01-21-12, 03:42
http://bljsselfdefense.com/saf-sleeper-with-flashlight-and-magazine-holder-p2204.html

I have been thinking about getting this for my bedside holster. Still looking for different ones to use for having my firearm next to my bed. I dont have a nightstand next to me. Never did like nightstands.

bdcheung
01-21-12, 06:05
I keep my M&P in a Remora holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smash
01-21-12, 06:47
It's laying on top of a Crown Royal Black bag of course! with an E2D LED next to it.

I live alone so I don't worry about it being loaded and in the open. And I'm lonely. :(

tb-av
01-21-12, 07:00
Gravity here as well. If you want the trigger covered but not have to release from a holster, look at those Raven Concealment Vanguards ( and recent thread describing the new ones ). The end can be tied off so the pistol retrieves and the holster remains in place with one hand.

Arik
01-21-12, 07:04
G19 and Kahr CW9 in the nightstand drawer just laying there

Littlelebowski
01-21-12, 07:52
A safe.

Microalign
01-21-12, 08:11
It's my duty gun, so it is in the drawer on the other side of the room, and then goes with me when I leave the house. I prefer not to have it right next to me as I have done some crazy stuff in my sleep. Plus, the locked bedroom door is there to hold someone off until I can wake up and get a weapon.

newyork
01-21-12, 08:54
My HK45, X300 and 2 spare mags go in this with compartments unzipped for access:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2036

old grunt usmc
01-21-12, 10:09
my dresser has a slide out panel for drinks and such,works good as a pistol holder.lol

5pins
01-21-12, 10:29
http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes.html/

zacbol
01-21-12, 10:37
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T24OFG/ref=asc_df_B000T24OFG1868350?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000T24OFG

rackham1
01-21-12, 10:38
http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes.html/

+1 on the Gunvaults. I have a couple of them throughout the house and they're a great way to have my pistols ready but out of kids' hands. I've read reviews where people have problems but I've practiced extensively and don't have any concerns.

Note that I use the 4-button version. I bought a bio version once and returned it... after lots of practice I still couldn't reliably get it open in less than 4-5 seconds.

backspur
01-21-12, 10:47
I use a gun vault that is bolted to my night stand. I have small children, so unsecured firearms are not an option.

zacbol
01-21-12, 10:52
The V-Line stuff is a bit more expensive than say a gun vault, but the reason I like it is it uses a mechanical, simplex lock that can be opened in about a second or two (and is easy to open in the dark), uses no batteries or electronics, is made of steel, and uses a clamshell design which at least makes it a bit more difficult to pry open than many other gun "safes"-though none of these products would stop a determined attacker for long at all. Mine is just meant to deter a smash-and-grab thief, my kid, or house guests from messing with my nightstand gun. I have an AMSEC for those things I need to secure against more serious threats.

shua713
01-21-12, 11:01
for now I have a kimber TLE II in the night stand drawer, i have an infant so I don;t have to worry about him getting into it yet. I will need to get something in the near future to secure it better. So I am glad this thread was started. I will subscribe and see what options are out there.

zacbol
01-21-12, 11:05
Also, see:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53716

rackham1
01-21-12, 11:06
The V-Line stuff is a bit more expensive than say a gun vault, but the reason I like it is...

Great lead. I'll have to look at these... while I know I can open my Gunvaults in a second, I guess I am still concerned about the battery being their weak point as far as reliability goes.

SWATcop556
01-21-12, 11:21
I have a two year old at home so the days of being able to leave my G19 on the night stand are over. I mounted a Safariland QLS on the back side of the bed frame on my side of the bed. I attached an ALS holster for a G19/X300 onto the QLS mount.

It is positioned that I can easily have access to it without much movement in the bed and I can deploy the gun with either hand. This is for holy shit moments where there is no time to access to my SBR. The SBR is mounted in the closet above the door where I can walk in and lift up.

When I'm not at home ALL firearms are in the safe locked up. Back in my single days (:cray:) I just left whatever I wanted wherever I wanted while I was home. It usually consisted of a G19 on the nightstand and an SBR between the nightstand and the bed.

Pi3
01-21-12, 11:24
It's my duty gun, so it is in the drawer on the other side of the room, and then goes with me when I leave the house. I prefer not to have it right next to me as I have done some crazy stuff in my sleep. Plus, the locked bedroom door is there to hold someone off until I can wake up and get a weapon.

Exactly. If you live alone, I can see having the gun on the nightstand.
But if you share your bedroom with someone, you don't want to wake up from a bad dream to discover that a gun in your hand.

backspur
01-21-12, 11:41
I started with a Winchester eVault. The mechanism failed after about a year and a half. I replaced it with a Gunvault, which seems to be of higher quality. It still works fine after 2+ years. I looked at the V-line stuff, but could not justify twice the price.

one
01-21-12, 12:02
Simply lays out on the nightstand during sleep. But, I should add, there's no kids to worry about. For those in that situation I wouldn't feel right arguing against some form of retention.

ryr8828
01-21-12, 12:21
I put mine in a crown royal bag to keep it from getting unnecessarily scratched by stuff in the drawer. Put it in the drawer when I go to bed, take it out of the drawer when I wake up.

Jake'sDad
01-21-12, 14:46
I've been using one of the gun magnets to secure my pistol in a place it won't be found easily, but is still accessible to me.

http://www.amazon.com/PS-Products-Quick-Draw-Magnet/dp/B003CSZYO4

SteveL
01-21-12, 14:52
I don't use anything. I just lay my M&P9c and spare mag on top of the nightstand when I go to bed and pick it back up when I get dressed the next day. An old Surefire G2 lives on the nightstand as well.

I feel I should point out that we have no children so that's not a concern.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
01-21-12, 14:53
my drawer works good.

HaydenB
01-21-12, 15:24
My 34 just sits on my nightstand empty, with a loaded mag on my 6' shelf stand. It only adds about 1 second on to my presentation time.

Keydet08
01-21-12, 16:18
It only adds about 1 second on to my presentation time.

I'd like to see a video of that.

williejc
01-21-12, 16:30
GLK 19 in holster, extra mag, and Surefire E2 are on night stand top. 870 Marine Magnum with 00 Buck is nearby. No kids.

HaydenB
01-21-12, 17:02
I'd like to see a video of that.

Sorry, no video.

When I get out of bed I grab the gun with my right hand and my mag with my left hand.

Just to be clear, I said it adds about 1 sec to my go time. I didn't say I was ready to go in 1 sec.

Keydet08
01-21-12, 17:34
Sorry, no video.

When I get out of bed I grab the gun with my right hand and my mag with my left hand.

Just to be clear, I said it adds about 1 sec to my go time. I didn't say I was ready to go in 1 sec.

No misunderstanding on my part. Bringing a weapon into your workspace, inserting mag (in the dark?), then racking the slide, all in one second is pretty quick.

Littlelebowski
01-21-12, 17:47
One second may be over double that if you actually do it on a timer.

HaydenB
01-21-12, 17:48
No misunderstanding on my part. Bringing a weapon into your workspace, inserting mag (in the dark?), then racking the slide, all in one second is pretty quick.

My bad man, I failed to include that even if I did keep the mag in the gun, it wouldn't be chambered. Too many people in the house.

It takes about 1 second longer for me to insert the mag and hit the slide release vs. grabbing the gun and doing a power stroke.

HaydenB
01-21-12, 17:49
One second may be over double that if you actually do it on a timer.

Very true.

Keydet08
01-21-12, 17:53
My bad man, I failed to include that even if I did keep the mag in the gun, it wouldn't be chambered. To many people in the house.

It takes about 1 second longer for me to insert the mag and hit the slide release vs. grabbing the gun and doing a power stroke.

I can believe that...

Smash
01-21-12, 17:53
Especially more than 1 second in a half dream modified sitting/laying position on an unstable bouncy mattress.

Alaskapopo
01-21-12, 18:23
Maybe my search-fu is weak but I couldn't find a thread on this. I am just curious as to what method of weapon retention y'all use in keeping your nightstand/bedside pistol. what holster or drawer safe is being used my our members to safely retain your pistol while keeping it at the ready?
To me, just keeping it in a holster would require two hands to draw your weapon thus slowing down your presentation when/if the circumstance presents itself.
I look forward to hearing what y'all are using.

ps - as always i want to thank our members who are in the armed services for serving our country proudly and thank the LEO guys as well for all that they do.

Gravity works pretty good for me. I set it on the night stand while I am sleeping and its always there when I wake up. I have no kids however and the burgler would have to make some noise to break into my house giving me time to get up.
Pat

60buckscash
01-22-12, 11:54
The gun sits in one of these (http://www.gungear.com/ez-catalog/X300536/1/161-INP) inside of a bedside table ready to go. Mine doesn't have that strap on and will slide off fairly well. However, it is just the wife, cat, and I in our small little apartment. I would securly stored if there were little ones around.

Wake27
01-22-12, 12:11
http://www.amazon.com/9g-Products-Inprint-Biometric-Fingerprint/dp/B002USXVSS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I added the other pictures and wrote one of the reviews if you click to read them all.

ggp2jz
01-22-12, 12:28
Sits between the mattress and the wood leg ofthe bed. Easily accessible.

R556
02-01-12, 14:45
It's one of my duty carry's....which I put into a sleeve and place in an open night table drawer....extremely easy and quick access if needed.

lifebreath
02-01-12, 14:52
Gun vault here. Got it when I had kids and still have 4 in the home (kids), so I wanted accessible but secure.

CaptainDooley
02-01-12, 15:16
I fall under the gravity heading as well. It's on my hip until bed time, then it's on a nightstand which has only my pistol, a spare mag, and my glasses on top of it. We do have two small kids, but they are unable to enter the bedroom, so it's not an issue. When I get out of bed in the morning, the pistol comes with me into the bathroom. When I walk out of the bathroom, it's on my hip again. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

If the newly announced Raven Vanguard comes out for an M&P with a light, I'll probably pick one up.

Shokr21
02-01-12, 21:20
Used to just lay mine under the bed. Til one night when my fiancee asked me what the hell I was doing. Apparently I "heard" something go bump in the night and had 1911 and flashlight in hand before I was conscious.
Now it resides in my sock drawer, 3 steps out of bed and I have the gun ready to go. Makes me wake up a little bit before I have a firearm in my hands.

graffex
02-01-12, 22:27
Gravity ;)

Wake27
02-01-12, 22:44
Used to just lay mine under the bed. Til one night when my fiancee asked me what the hell I was doing. Apparently I "heard" something go bump in the night and had 1911 and flashlight in hand before I was conscious.
Now it resides in my sock drawer, 3 steps out of bed and I have the gun ready to go. Makes me wake up a little bit before I have a firearm in my hands.

You lose consciousness when you sleep?

Kidding :)

Shokr21
02-01-12, 22:56
You lose consciousness when you sleep?

Kidding :)

ha, maybe coherent would be a better word.

Either way, my brain was not "on" and I had a gun in my hand. That opened my eyes and it's been in the sock drawer when not on my hip or on the end table next to my recliner.

Wake27
02-01-12, 23:03
ha, maybe coherent would be a better word.

Either way, my brain was not "on" and I had a gun in my hand. That opened my eyes and it's been in the sock drawer when not on my hip or on the end table next to my recliner.

Yeah that's definitely understandable.

BOM
02-01-12, 23:26
I have a Safariland ALS holster for an M&P w/weapon light mounted to my bed frame.

DoctorTran
02-02-12, 02:31
http://bljsselfdefense.com/saf-sleeper-with-flashlight-and-magazine-holder-p2204.html

I have been thinking about getting this for my bedside holster. Still looking for different ones to use for having my firearm next to my bed. I dont have a nightstand next to me. Never did like nightstands.

I actually thought about making something like that. Basically just using a piece of aluminum, welding a 90 degree angle to it, and then drilling holes in it to match a SERPA holster.

As for me, I just keep it in my night stand. It has a book shelf bit in the middle of it so I just place my Glock 22 as far back as I can. Sometimes covering it with a cloth, or placing my Kindle Fire on it.

Evil Colt 6920
02-02-12, 03:12
My glock sits on top of the night stand with my cell and streamlight scorpion. I always position them in the same manner so I know where to reach in total darkness. The tritium sights are easy to see, actually the only thing I can see once the lights go out. Kinda like a nite light for big kids. The 6920 leans against the night stand.

ColdDeadHands
02-02-12, 06:34

Same here:D

NitroDave08
02-02-12, 09:21
As stated before, gravity. First off, With 3 dogs, including a 6# micro-dachshund that barks at the slightest noise, and a ADT security system I don't think that someone would be able to break in, sneak in the room and snatch the gun that laying on top of the bedstands. If I did not have the alarms, I would keep it in a drawer out of sight. Nothing more embarrassing that to be shot in bed by my own gun by a Ninja B&E haha.

But since I had a good feeling that no one will get in undetected, I have my gun laying on top within easy grasp, chambered and on safe. When not sleeping its carried or in the same room with me. The wife does the same.

MechEng
02-02-12, 09:39
I use a lock box like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Fort-Knox-FTK-PB-Pistol-Handgun/dp/B004H6MKI8/ref=sr_1_36?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1328196564&sr=1-36

I set the combination up as a pattern so I don’t have to look at the numbers in the dark.

rkba01
02-02-12, 10:21
V-Line Hide-Away. I like and trust a Simplex lock, sure there are ways to crack the code, but it takes time and knowledge. Once my kids can do that they know how to use the gun proficiently anyway. At that point they will know the code.

mallowpufft
02-02-12, 10:53
I found an old hardback book that was the right size and glued the pages together, cut out a rectangle, and then glued a piece of felt to the bottom. It's big enough to hold my M&P9c with a Surefire G2 Nitrolen or a spare mag. I can fit all three in but then it's harder to get everything out. I usually keep the spare mag in the drawer and the book on top. If anything goes bump in the night all I have to do is slide my hand under the cover of the book, grab a light and pistol and have a look.
And it doesn't freak the wife out to see a book lying on the nightstand.

BillSWPA
02-02-12, 12:08
The people most likely to walk into my bedroom at night is either my wife returning from a restroom run or my 4 1/2 year old daughter. The wife is trained and has her own bedside gun. Both my Kimber 1st generation 1911 and my wife's Springfield XD9 are stored in Cannon handgun safes with Simplex mechanical combination locks. Good home construction, solid doors with good locks, good windows, etc. are relied upon to provide the time needed to access a weapon.

I have found that battery life on electronic locks is not as advertised. Furthermore, if your electronic locking safe has a key backup, or your gun cabinet has a key lock, this video might be of interest. Language NSFW.

http://vimeo.com/31177302

robbf213
02-02-12, 13:39
I keep my G35 w/X300 in a kydex holster next to the bed with a spare mag. No retention or anything.

dirksterg30
02-02-12, 13:45
Right now I'm using an oversized Uncle Mike's nylon holster secured to the bed frame for my M&P9 w/ TLR1. Works fine for now, but I'd like to do something similar with a Kydex holster made specifically for my pistol/light combination.

gun71530
02-02-12, 14:06
It's just my wife and I, so I just keep my Glock 19 on my nightstand unholstered

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

lifebreath
02-02-12, 15:37
Furthermore, if your electronic locking safe has a key backup, or your gun cabinet has a key lock, this video might be of interest. Language NSFW.

http://vimeo.com/31177302

Interesting, but not unexpected. I use an older version of the GunVault with the hand-combination pad and tubular lock. I've never considered it to be a theft-proof box, just a means of having the gun readily accessible to me, but not to my children or children's friends, etc. Same with my rifle and ammo storage unit. It's a vented steel cabinet with a typical storage cabinet lock and is not intended to be a "safe." Again, it's simply a "secure" cabinet from children and children's friends, etc. My HD AR-15 is secured in the bedroom in a patrol car lock system with electronic release and keyed lock. Same philosophy.

I think one needs to take a "layered" security approach to determine an appropriate comprehensive storage solution, depending on prioritized objectives. For example, my basic objectives were/are, in order of priority: 1) secure my weapons from young children, e.g., 4 year old, to avoid bad consequences, 2) secure my weapons from casual fiddling by my older kids and their friends, e.g., 10-14 year olds, 3) have an orderly storage area that 4) has some theft protection and 4) looks cool! All with the added goal of ready access if needed.

I have a German Shepherd, a whole-house alarm system with battery transmitter and good lighting at night. The place is well-kept and signs are prominently placed to warn would-be invaders. The dog alarm-barks when someone comes to the door, and his bark is easily heard by the person outside. My main gun storage is deep within the interior of the house in an out-of-the-way storage room, not seen by visitors unless shown. These security measures are my main theft deterrents, so I am not relying on a big old "safe" to keep my weapons from being stolen. Then, the less secure locks are sufficient to achieve their purpose of securing the weapons from children.

Having young children in the house, I wouldn't consider not having some kind of lock box for the bedside gun. When I was growing up, my dad kept his S&W .357 in the nightstand cabinet. Even though I was generally obedient and had a good respect for firearms, I fiddled with his gun at times when he wasn't around. Kids will be kids.

Darkop
02-03-12, 00:42
1911 & a Colt 6920 with a BIG ASS HEAD LIGHT on it.

Until that day,
Darkop

Noodle
02-03-12, 19:29
During the day my Colt Rail Gun and X400 are in a small safe in the BR. At night, it is right next to me on the bed!

curlyburns5
02-04-12, 07:41
Thanks for all the replies. I was concerned about leaving my G19 unretained at night but it's good to see that is acceptable under the right circumstances. I live alone so there is no one else besides my girlfriend that is ever in my house, much less my bedroom. I am still looking into some sort of quick-access retention system for in the future. The most important lesson I've learned here though is that I need to buy a proper safe. It doesnt make sense for me to spend all this money on quality firearms and not keep them locked up when I'm away.

RepeatDefender
02-06-12, 10:13
Gravity retention :D S&W M&P45 mid w/ Surefire X300 attached, spare mag.

LHS
02-06-12, 11:25
Fanny pack, with a spare mag. Quickest way to don a holster without any clothes on. I almost feel sorry for the intruder who gets to confront my blindingly white naked ass wearing naught but a Tommy pack.

mallowpufft
02-06-12, 11:28
Fanny pack, with a spare mag. Quickest way to don a holster without any clothes on. I almost feel sorry for the intruder who gets to confront my blindingly white naked ass wearing naught but a Tommy pack.

I have visions of Hunter S. Thompson running around like this now.:eek: Thanks...

LHS
02-06-12, 11:34
I have visions of Hunter S. Thompson running around like this now.:eek: Thanks...

I'm actually counting on that for 'shock and awe'. :jester:

samuse
02-06-12, 22:23
I keep a Glock 19 w/ X300 in a Comp-Tac holster in the drawer beside the bed. Makes me kinda nervous to have it in plain sight when I'm asleep. I sometimes have some crazy drunk chicks in there!

p22shooter30
02-06-12, 23:33
S&W sigma 9mm. hopefully i never have to use it

Jake'sDad
02-06-12, 23:36
S&W sigma 9mm. hopefully i never have to use it

I share your hope.....

curlyburns5
02-07-12, 10:30
I share your hope.....

I just got disapproving looks at work because this made me laugh out loud.

bprice01
02-07-12, 10:34
I have small kids so I use a 4 button gun vault but I made this for my Dad's Beretta.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc447/bprice01/88a172c6.jpg

bprice01
02-07-12, 10:38
Right now I'm using an oversized Uncle Mike's nylon holster secured to the bed frame for my M&P9 w/ TLR1. Works fine for now, but I'd like to do something similar with a Kydex holster made specifically for my pistol/light combination.

I have the exact same gun/light. PM me if you'd like to work something out.

streck
02-07-12, 10:50
DAC sport safe.

I have kids so a safe is necessary. It was inexpensive and is easily accessible with a 4 finger button pad.

Spurholder
02-07-12, 11:04
I share your hope.....

That's funny right there...

Spurholder
02-07-12, 11:05
I just got disapproving looks at work because this made me laugh out loud.

Trying to clean the coffee off my screen...

bprice01
02-07-12, 13:56
I have the exact same gun/light. PM me if you'd like to work something out.

I had some garage time this morning so I went ahead and knocked this out. It's pretty cool; I made some belt loops so it can be used as a belt holster as well.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc447/bprice01/0585d58b.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc447/bprice01/304dd119.jpg

sboza
02-09-12, 18:19
I've messed around with a lot of methods but currently I keep my g17 w/ sf x300 in a this bladetech holster (configured for belt) in my nightstand drawer with retention OFF: http://www.blade-tech.com/TMMS-WRS-Tactical-Light-Belt-To-Thigh-pr-1256.html

Basically I place the gun in the holster with the hood down (I may even cut it off if I dedicate it to this use). I leave the tekloc belt attachment on (for height) and use hook and loop to keep it in one place (along with an extra mag placed appropriately). The retention release does not shift position and is in the exact place my thumb naturally rides so when I grab the gun, my thumb automatically pushes the gun out of the holster (w or wo the velcro).

The holster was given to me to try out and I like it but I still prefer safariland so I am using the bladetech as my drawer holster. I am just not a fan of leaving a trigger exposed when sleeping. No matter what anyone says, their brain is not 100% immediately on waking. I also choose my side of the bed so I may guide my gf to my predesignated ambush point if we are attacked and if I ever had to shoot from bed, that I would not have to shoot over her. And it goes without saying that the gun should NOT have to be pointed at either of you on your draw. Grogginess + adrenaline + gun can equal a higher chance of an nd, especially for those with limited training.

I realize how complicated this may seem but it is not. As soon as I figure out how to post a picture, I will. This has been a great setup for me and unless I cut the hood off to dedicate the holster's use to this purpose, all I have to do is peel the velcro apart and throw it on my belt. I really like this setup.

J_Dub_503
02-09-12, 20:35
It's laying on top of a Crown Royal Black bag of course! with an E2D LED next to it.

I live alone so I don't worry about it being loaded and in the open. And I'm lonely. :(

Don't mention that while filling a 4473...I seen a guy mention being in the middle of a divorce and the FFL was questioning him on his mental state and the purpose of the firearm he was trying to purchase. :help:

Shawn.L
02-09-12, 20:36
Raven VG2

TAZ
02-09-12, 21:30
I use a Wilderness Safepacker with the flap stuck between the mattress and box spring. Holds g21 w/ x300 and spare.

Wouldn't mind rigging up something with better retention, but also want to keep it low key

Kokopelli
02-09-12, 21:39
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/DSC07185.jpg

TacMedic556
02-09-12, 22:58
I don't retain it. I lays a little over 10 inches away on the nightstand. A snug little Glock 26 sleeping in its Bianchi 10A holster, which it lives in on my body 24/7 when I am not sleeping. Loaded with Speer 124 grain Gold Dot.

St.Michael
02-10-12, 00:12
I have to ask guys. Does anyone here think a small child could actually pull the slide of a weapon back? I will go out on a limb and say MOST stories you hear about kids getting shot by a gun left around is because some idiot left it loaded and ready to go. Just an observation and a question.

That being said. MY dresser is almost as tall as me. I believe the top drawer is around 5.5 feet. So I keep my pistol stacked on top of my girls panties with a magazine in not charged. Yes this sucks for getting up and hoping some day I get to it. But I don't have a safe so I am not keeping it on the ground. I also sleep with a K bar slipped into the mattress sticking out so i can reach over and snag it out.

Alaskapopo
02-10-12, 01:17
I have to ask guys. Does anyone here think a small child could actually pull the slide of a weapon back? I will go out on a limb and say MOST stories you hear about kids getting shot by a gun left around is because some idiot left it loaded and ready to go. Just an observation and a question.

That being said. MY dresser is almost as tall as me. I believe the top drawer is around 5.5 feet. So I keep my pistol stacked on top of my girls panties with a magazine in not charged. Yes this sucks for getting up and hoping some day I get to it. But I don't have a safe so I am not keeping it on the ground. I also sleep with a K bar slipped into the mattress sticking out so i can reach over and snag it out.
I don't have kids so its not a concern, however I believe in keeping my weapons in the same state of readiness regardless of what I am doing. For me that means the gun is hot all the time fully loaded. I don't want to find myself waking up and forgetting that I did not chamber a round on my bedside gun when I point it at the threat and pull the trigger and get a loud click.
Pat

williejc
02-10-12, 01:47
Logically, a small child might not be able to retract the slide on your pistol, but my gut tells me that a child's having access to a firearm is the real issue. Note that many states now have legislation dictating how guns are to be stored in the home---intent being reducing accidents by kids.

In your situation, could the pistol rest on the floor and the magazine up higher on the dresser?

curlyburns5
02-10-12, 02:49
I just ordered one of these:

I specified that it was for a gen 4 glock 19 with a surefire x300. hoping this works out.

mallowpufft
02-10-12, 08:28
Here's a pic of my set up. You can't see it but I've glued a thin piece of steel in the cover and a couple of small magnets in the book to keep the cover from flapping open. Won't hold the weight of the gun but it's handy when driving and such. I haven't found a great way to have easy access while in the car so this usually comes with me and just looks like my reading materials.http://img.tapatalk.com/44398b39-2965-4774.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/44398b39-297e-de31.jpg

shua713
02-10-12, 08:51
I just purchased a gunvault multi safe deluxe. I have purchased it since this tread was started so i don't have alot of info on it. But it was very easy to use and it will keep my guns out of my kids hands and thats whats important.

longball
02-10-12, 09:04
Especially more than 1 second in a half dream modified sitting/laying position on an unstable bouncy mattress (while being punched in the face).

Added something. :D That's always been a fear of mine since I sleep so heavily.
OP: I second the gun vaults. They serve their intended purpose pretty well.

longball
02-10-12, 09:18
...I almost feel sorry for the intruder who gets to confront my blindingly white naked ass wearing naught but a Tommy pack.

I'm actually counting on that for 'shock and awe'. :jester:
I believe it was Failure2Stop who referred to this as his "cock and awe" strategy.

rob_s
02-10-12, 09:27
I got a press release not too long ago for a pistol safe that, when opened, presented the gun to you outside the safe body. I can't find the link now, anyone know what I'm talking about? Have the link?

Years ago my house got broken into and one of the things they took was my only unsecured firearm which was my 870P shotgun. I realized after the fact that I could easily have armed my murderer, and turned a burglar into a killer. A teenager breaking in because it was a crime of convenience, finds the gun, hears me come home and winds up cornered, could turn into a killer real quick. Because of this I'm not a fan of leaving firearms unsecured when I'm not home.

Just a note, this is *not* the same thing as taking off my carry gun and putting it on the nightstand when I'm sleeping or coffee table when I'm watching TV.

G_M
02-10-12, 09:35
V-Line 2912-S
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-14628535264555_2198_16421181

Quick access 5 button combination. I can open it in the dark just by feel.

SteveL
02-10-12, 09:41
I got a press release not too long ago for a pistol safe that, when opened, presented the gun to you outside the safe body. I can't find the link now, anyone know what I'm talking about? Have the link?

Years ago my house got broken into and one of the things they took was my only unsecured firearm which was my 870P shotgun. I realized after the fact that I could easily have armed my murderer, and turned a burglar into a killer. A teenager breaking in because it was a crime of convenience, finds the gun, hears me come home and winds up cornered, could turn into a killer real quick. Because of this I'm not a fan of leaving firearms unsecured when I'm not home.

Just a note, this is *not* the same thing as taking off my carry gun and putting it on the nightstand when I'm sleeping or coffee table when I'm watching TV.

I might be interested in something like that if more info can be tracked down.

This is a little more interesting to me now as my uncle was recently robbed of two handguns while he was not at home. Both were unsecured in his bedroom. He had others out in the open, but they were overlooked by the thief/thieves for whatever reason.

I have a safe at my house and my guns stay locked up in it, with the exception of my EDC. I lay it on the nightstand at night and sometimes, just like you mentioned, I lay it on the coffee table while watching TV. This is certainly not the same as leaving it unattended though.

In my truck I have one of these (http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/37/6955_The%2BPerfect%2BIn-Car%2BGun%2BSafe/) for occasions when I need to leave my EDC behind. I know it's not Fort Knox, but I hope that if I become the victim of a smash-n-grab that it would be too much hassle and the thief would just grab my iPod and go.

St.Michael
02-10-12, 13:50
Logically, a small child might not be able to retract the slide on your pistol, but my gut tells me that a child's having access to a firearm is the real issue. Note that many states now have legislation dictating how guns are to be stored in the home---intent being reducing accidents by kids.

In your situation, could the pistol rest on the floor and the magazine up higher on the dresser?

I am not sure if the question was directed at me specifically so forgive me if it wasn't as I am about to answer.

My dresser is actually the first thing on the left side against the wall when you walk into my room. It's a shitty place no doubt because as they say by the time I realize the BG is in the house he will probably be on top of me. I don't even have a bed frame. I do the old box and mattress on the floor gig. So there is no real way to set my stuff up. I could separate the magazine from the weapon and I did try that once, but I forgot to pick them up once and decided against it from then on. As of now I have no better solution for my situation other then buying one of those small safes to set next to the bed. I just don't know how efficient that will be should I need it to go. Of course if I can't get to the gun it doesn't matter does it. The truth is with the kids getting older now the oldest being 8 I am upping the security bar and more against having anything out at all.

Most of my weapon in the house are usually stored taken apart. Be it the firing pin removed or whatever to ensure should a kid com across it the weapon wouldn't work anyway. Also we have the "no kids allowed" in mom and dad's room.

MeanStreaker
02-11-12, 11:33
Here is my ulta-tacticool, and extremely expensive bedside solution. :D Upside down Amazon box that's the perfect size.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/MeanStreaker592/box-1.jpg

I used to just leave the pistol w/ TLR-2 loaded and sitting on this nightstand, but decided I wanted to have to perform one action while in a groggy state. But I wanted to be able to do it with one hand. This also lets me have some usable space back and I can set my glasses or the book I'm reading on there. (But obviously that takes away my one hand sweep to get to the handgun.)

Usually the pistol and the 870 get locked up when we leave the house, then come back out when we get home, or definitely at bedtime.

curlyburns5
03-25-12, 02:37
The saf-sleeper works as advertised. I keep my G19 with X300 in it securely by gravity as well as a pocket that fits an extra loaded mag. Stays put pretty well. It's only fell out of it's place one and that was from some pretty vigourous bed shaking :secret: Overall i'm very pleased with this setup. I don't have anyone in the house that i have to worry about getting to it. Thanks for all the responses. The next major purchase, well after a ring, will be a quality safe. I'm sure when I get to that point that there is plenty of info on the site to steer toward the right purchase. Search button is my friend.

Odglock
03-25-12, 16:01
Gun vault but i open it whenm i go to bed.

Ltorote
03-25-12, 16:33
I have mine in a little digital safe I picked up from harbor freight for 40 bucks. Fits right in the bottom compartment of my night stand. The lower door of the night stand closes perfectly concealing the safe.

Takes me 3-4 seconds to open and ready my Sig. I have 3 children ranging from 5 to 10, so gravity not an option at my house. Perfect to keep them out, or the bad guys from using it on me.

However, the safe is so small and light, a theif can just carry the whole thing out, and probably open with a sledge hammer. So I only keep the one gun, chambered, and extra mags in this safe.

GunTotinRedneck
03-25-12, 17:30
I just lay it on the desk under the lamp. Works for me!

FAS1
03-29-12, 15:21
[QUOTE=rob_s;1225648]I got a press release not too long ago for a pistol safe that, when opened, presented the gun to you outside the safe body. I can't find the link now, anyone know what I'm talking about? Have the link?QUOTE]

Maybe this:

http://fas1safe.com/images/12421583724691669415992.jpeg

http://fas1safe.com

chapperjoe
03-29-12, 15:55
I used to do the simple 15$ nylon paddle hoslter, with the paddle bent 90 degrees and shoved between my matress and bedframe.

then my boy became a toddler.

I now nightstand draw it, but he's starting to get good at drawers now.

I was about to get another gunvault, but reading this thread was illuminating.

Now I'm thinking a level three holster between my bed and nightstand would do the trick ...(of course only when I'm sleeping, e.g. I'm not using it as a gun safe to leave holstered around my unsupervised kid!)

SilverTongueDevil
03-29-12, 16:17
First line of defense is dead bolt locks next is a old fat grouchy chocolate lab. Still surprised at how good his hearing is.

Every night I open my safe pull out my revolver and place next to my phone,flashlight and what ever book I am reading at the time.

2 steps away and swinging open of the safe door and my AR is good to go..

Battle*Hound
03-29-12, 17:17

:D That's what I'm sayin.

Battle*Hound
03-29-12, 17:29
I don't have kids so its not a concern, however I believe in keeping my weapons in the same state of readiness regardless of what I am doing. For me that means the gun is hot all the time fully loaded. I don't want to find myself waking up and forgetting that I did not chamber a round on my bedside gun when I point it at the threat and pull the trigger and get a loud click.
Pat

100% agreed

Semper Paratus
03-29-12, 18:42
Gravity is my friend. Unlike most other things it always works.

narco23
03-29-12, 19:48
I keep it simple and just use my nightstand drawer. I don't have kids and it is usually on my hip otherwise.

CDR_Glock
03-29-12, 21:12
Mine just sits on the nightstand. I don't want to have to open a drawer. I also have a Cold Steel Trailmaster San Mai blade and a light next to me.

iPad/Tapatalk

jbourneidentity
03-29-12, 22:26
Glock 19 with Surefire XS300 light, Warren Tactical night sights, and it's loaded with Federal HST 124-grain +P.

I keep the chamber empty but with a magazine inserted in a go-bag with extra mags, lights, cell phone, handcuffs, and pepper-spray (less-lethal option). The bag is black and stays right beside the bed near the edge.

It's a little heavy but not too bad. I've trained with it and it's not a bad system. I like the idea of being able to shoulder the bag with all the support gear right there at my disposal while still being able to maneuver my G19.

mdauben
03-30-12, 06:34
Since I don't have to worry about children in my house, I just keep mine (Glock 21, Condition 1, w/230gr Federal HST JHPs) in the drawer of my night stand. I do keep it in a cheap, generic nylon holster. It helps keep dust and lint out of the action and keeps the trigger covered.

jstyer
03-30-12, 07:19
Glock 19 in nightstand drawer inside of my EDC holster, surefire handhold right next to it. Condition 1 always for that weapon since it's only in the stand at night and every other second of the day it's on me. Seen too many studies and examples of guys failing to chamber a round even when they KNOW the gun is unloaded.

jstyer
03-30-12, 07:21
Glock 19 in nightstand drawer inside of my EDC holster, surefire handheld right next to it. Condition 1 always for that weapon since it's only in the stand at night and every other second of the day it's on me. Seen too many studies and examples of guys failing to chamber a round even when they KNOW the gun is unloaded.

Palmguy
03-30-12, 08:14
G17 + light is in a Raven holster that is secured to my bedframe with a spare Wilderness belt. Wife has those curtain things hanging from posts of the bed so it is concealed from ordinary sight but very quick to draw. Probably sounds kind of hokey but it works for me.