PDA

View Full Version : Slick side uppers

MMcfpd
12-14-07, 19:08
In looking about for flattop uppers without a forward assist I've found the similarly priced ($125) Les Baer with a brass deflector and an ejection port door and a Fulton Armory offering with no brass deflector and no provision for a port door. Is there any reason that one is preferable, or not? I'm primarily striving for light weight.

Del-Ton also has a couple of slick sides, but they're not standard heighth, so I'm less interested in them.

Are there any others I ought to be considering?

redtazdog
12-14-07, 22:32
DPMS has slick sides

MMcfpd
12-14-07, 22:57
It appears that the DPMS slick sides are the same ones that Del-Ton offers. There is some sort of relationship between those two companies, or was, anyway. I don't know how the acquisition by Cerberus will affect that.

DPMS also offers the VLTOR upper w/o a forward assist, but I somehow doubt that is a lightweight.

Shihan
12-15-07, 04:00
Why no FA?

MMcfpd
12-15-07, 08:31
I'm looking at building it for light weight.

LukeMacGillie
12-15-07, 09:00
I'm looking at building it for light weight.

If weight is such an issue that your looking to cut out the Forward Assist, wouldnt a PT program leading to the ability to carry a weapon with a forward assist be a better option?

MMcfpd
12-15-07, 09:38
...wouldnt a PT program leading to the ability to carry a weapon with a forward assist be a better option?

If that was the issue, perhaps. But it's not. I have no problem carrying and shooting heavier rifles. I recently acquired a lightweight and I like it - now I want to see how light I can build one that meets my requisites.

Harv
12-15-07, 09:39
If weight is such an issue that your looking to cut out the Forward Assist, wouldnt a PT program leading to the ability to carry a weapon with a forward assist be a better option?

Ah Thanks Brother... that made me laugh out loud....;)

PetesTactical
12-15-07, 12:15
Interesting, anyone know what the weight difference is?

MMcfpd
12-15-07, 12:35
~3 oz. for the FA and I don't know about the port door assembly - probably not much.

As long as I'm here, are there any front sight/gas block options that beat a standard F marked FSB with the bayo lug and sling mount removed for light weight?