PDA

View Full Version : Sleep number beds

Wiggity
01-21-12, 14:38
I am in dire need of a new mattress because of back issues. Recently went to the doctor and the chiropractor and was advised to get a sleep number bed.

My question is:

Where is the best place to pick up a sleep number bed (full sized)? Online? Retailers?:confused:

Went to their website and this is the only place I could find online that sold them.

Evil Colt 6920
01-21-12, 14:50
I was told to get a tempur pedic. I can honestly say Ive never slept so good before. When I lay down, Im K.O.'d in 5 minutes and usually wake up in the morning in the same position I fell asleep in (no toss'n and turn'n) No more back aches. They arent cheap but I think they are worth it. 20 year warranty too. I havent had had any personal experience with the sleep number beds but my father in law got rid of his in less than 3 months. He claims he slept better on his old box spring.

jmp45
01-21-12, 15:32
I was told to get a tempur pedic. I can honestly say Ive never slept so good before. When I lay down, Im K.O.'d in 5 minutes and usually wake up in the morning in the same position I fell asleep in (no toss'n and turn'n) No more back aches. They arent cheap but I think they are worth it. 20 year warranty too. I havent had had any personal experience with the sleep number beds but my father in law got rid of his in less than 3 months. He claims he slept better on his old box spring.

The alternative less expensive similar to a temper is a spa mattress at wally world. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations/7695950)

montanadave
01-21-12, 15:38
The Tempurpedics sleep hot. If you tend to sweat at night or get too warm, they can turn into a sauna.

PaulL
01-21-12, 15:54
We have one and we both like it a lot. Go to a store and try them all out. If you get hot, stay away from the beds with memory foam. Some of the Select Comfort stuff has a thin memory foam layer on top, so be careful. The one we ended up with had some kind of magic cooling fabric on top. It's fantastic. :lazy2:

Irish
01-21-12, 15:57
I'd recommend demoing a sleep number bed. I stayed at a friend's house for a week, slept on one, and hated it. I stayed at a hotel not too long ago with the sleep number bed and hated it as well.

Mattresses are a very personal choice. What works for some doesn't work for all.

PaulL
01-21-12, 16:30
Mattresses are a very personal choice. What works for some doesn't work for all.

That's the truth. I have family members that hate the sleep number beds, so it's not genetic, either. :D

Wiggity
01-21-12, 19:20
Well I just went to the mall. The sales rep was awesome and spent a lot of time with me, I found my sleep number! Mattress felt great.

Anyway, I put and order in and it should be here in about a week. Can't wait!

The reason I went with the sleep number is because both my doctor and chiropractor recommended it slightly over the tempurpedic.

Belmont31R
01-21-12, 19:50

We have a Tempur Pedic and I hate it. The thing is stiff and doesn't conform nearly as well as advertised. Now I sleep on the couch most nights. I have back issues, and if I sleep in our bed Ill wake up sore as shit.

They are hot, as mentioned. My wife is perpetually cold and requires a heated blanket. Not only do I wake up sore but sweating like an SOB.

Interested in the Sleep Number or at least something different than what we have now because Id like to sleep in the same bed as my wife.

RD62
01-21-12, 19:54
I have a co-worker now that worked as a mattress salesman for years.

He has and recommends a latex mattress. I don't own one or know much about them but I believe they are a foam similar to, but different from the "Memory Foam" mattresses like the TempurPedic. I understand they sleep cooler too.

He sold several to other co-workers and they have all had them for from 1-5 years and unanimously like them.

It may be worth looking into.

Quiet-Matt
01-21-12, 20:11
We bought ours at the sleep number store in the mall. When we got home I checked on line and found it had just gone on sale. I called the on-line sales number and they refunded the difference with no hastle. So, it doesn't really matter where you get it from, they ship it to you either way.

I recommend that if you do go with sleep number, go ahead and spring for the whiz-bang pillow top to go with it. We got the medium pillow top and weren't happy with it. After we fixed that, it was (and still is) awesome.

Follow the instructions to find your sleep number and don't do like I did. For the first two nights I had it way too soft and basically slept in a hammock. It was soo comfortable till my back locked up on that next morning. Start firm and work your way down, give it a chance and you'll probably love it.

PaulL
01-21-12, 20:48
You should also consult this important study. (http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-sex.html)

Wiggity
01-22-12, 14:48
Haha thanks for looking out for me truth seeker

uwe1
01-22-12, 15:11
You should also consult this important study. (http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-sex.html)

It appears that the take-home message is that if you like "active" sex, you won't like the Tempur-pedic bed.

Plus, it might also make you a "one-minute" man...:lol:

PaulL
01-22-12, 18:49
Haha thanks for looking out for me truth seeker

I do what I can. :D

telecustom
01-22-12, 19:03
I just got a Sleep Number bed. The jury is still out on how the wife and I like it. I will post again in a few days with more information.

RogerinTPA
01-22-12, 19:42
I've had a King size Sleep Number bed for 8+ years. It was a toss up at the time with it and the Temper Pedic. Back then, the TP had lots of complaints because it held heat in, which was a no go for me. These days, they have a cooling pad, but I'd still go with the Sleep Number bed. I've had occasional back pain on and off, for years. The bed makes the back pain go away and I've never slept more soundly. My girl loves it because she can adjust her side independently. It's the best bed and most expensive air mattress I've ever slept on.