PDA

View Full Version : Bolt stop question

spr1
01-21-12, 14:44
A month ago a buddy came by with his bolt stop on an LMT 5.56 lower flopping around. I pulled the stop out and the plunger was stuck in the hole by what turned out to be a burr, at least I thought it looked like a burr on the edge of the hole. I put a slight chamfer on the edge and he was back in business.
Today, I pulled the LMT MWS out of the safe and found the bolt stop flopping around. I pulled it out, and the edge of the hole was peened in a semi-circular pattern trapping the plunger. I suspect the bolt stop itself is smacking into the lower and created the damage because I don't believe the plunger can come out far enough to do that (and also, not get trapped out). I radiused the hole and broke the lower corner of the bolt stop and reassembled it.
Has anyone else ever seen this? I have not in 25 years of playing with AR pattern rifles (mainly Colts). Is this a common LMT problem or just a run of bad luck?

Tweak
01-21-12, 15:09
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/415451_LMT_bolt_catch_.html

maybe that's why the change to the orientation of the paddle.

spr1
01-21-12, 15:32
I think that is the opposite of the problem.
It is the inside bottom of the bolt stop that appears to be hitting the receiver.