PDA

View Full Version : WMD NiB-X BCG Review

dodgefreak8
01-22-12, 13:59
I did a LOT of research into BCG and I think I made a pretty good choice so far. I wanted to try the the NiB-x coating but I wanted a good bolt and carrier as well. The WMD BCG caught my eye because it conforms to Mil-spec quality.

NiB-X Bolt Carrier Group w/ Hammer

· Bolt – Carpenter 158 case hardened, shot peened and magnetic particle inspected. Manufactured to Government drawings. Mil Spec gas rings. NiB-X coated (40% more wear resistant than Chrome).

· Extractor – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened, per Government drawings. Black extractor buffer and heavy duty spring. NiB-X coated.

· Firing Pin – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened, Chromed and certified per Government drawings.

· Carrier – M16 style carrier (heavy weight), 8620 material, heat treated and case hardened. Manufacturing tolerances on inside diameters tightly controlled. NiB-X coated for durability and ease of cleaning.

· Gas Key – Hardened to USGI Specifications and attached using grade 8 hardened fasteners. Permatex No. 3D Aviation Form a gasket Type III Sealing Compound per MIL-S-45180 used on assembly. NiB-X coated. Staked per military specifications.

· Cam pin – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened and certified per Government drawings. NiB-X Coated.

· Hammer - Manufactured, heat treated, hardened and certified per Government drawings. NiB-X Coated. Can be semi-auto or full-auto.

This is a nice BCG! I have only put about 100 rounds through the gun with this Part and so far I am impressed. I cleaned all the lube out of it and started firing. Not one hiccup and it felt nice and smooth. Also after firing MOST of the carbon wiped right off. I say most because I still had to scrape a LITTLE bit of carbon off behind the gas rings. All in All the coating is nice. It does discolor a little after firing but maintains its slick feel. Here are a few pics
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/dodgefreak8/IMG_20120118_182307.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/dodgefreak8/IMG_20120118_182319.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/dodgefreak8/IMG_20120122_100438.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/dodgefreak8/IMG_20120122_100456.jpg

bluecanary
05-14-12, 15:19
Did you use it yet? Update?

SteveL
05-14-12, 15:21
The OP hasn't been online in almost two months. I wouldn't hold my breath on that update.

GrumpyM4
05-14-12, 16:54
I bought one, ran a bit over 600 rounds through it suppressed during a two hour period in an M4 style carbine (nearly all stag/CMT but with a bushy barrel). The gun was already dirty from a previous session (approx 500 round unsuppressed) and hadn't been cleaned or lubed since then.

Had a few (5) failures to lock back on the last round. Still don't know exactly what caused this though. Could have been the ammo (Bvac), the BAD lever, the amount of gunk buildup, whatever, I don't know.

Other then that, it ran like a raped ape and I never added lube.

I'd call it GTG.

Eurodriver
05-14-12, 17:07
I bought one, ran a bit over 600 rounds through it suppressed during a two hour period in an M4 style carbine (nearly all stag/CMT but with a bushy barrel). The gun was already dirty from a previous session (approx 500 round unsuppressed) and hadn't been cleaned or lubed since then.

Had a few (5) failures to lock back on the last round. Still don't know exactly what caused this though. Could have been the ammo (Bvac), the BAD lever, the amount of gunk buildup, whatever, I don't know.

Other then that, it ran like a raped ape and I never added lube.

I'd call it GTG.

I have ran a similar round count with a standard BCG under similar conditions with less failures.

Am I splitting hairs? No, the failure to lock backs were most likely caused due to the carbine being overgassed, something the BCG has no control of, anyway. But what is the point of spending the extra $$$

Brahmzy
05-14-12, 17:09
Call me crazy, but these exact BCG's are all I use now. I actually had a few of the Spike's and literally could not stand the stupid-ass Spider on them - sold 'em for what I got 'em for.
These are very high quality BCGs from the best NiB coater on the market. I've also had WMD coat an AR10 BCG for me - unbelieveable difference on a 308 BCG. That thing was like dragging a telephone pole through gravel before.

I'm a fan. Have nothing but good things to say about NiB. I've also been able to get away with MUCH more agrressive spring/buffer combos with NiB carriers where a phosphate BCG in the same gun would shortstroke, fail to lock back etc.

I sure hope this doesn't turn into a "NiB is a solution looking for a problem" thread.

rundm
05-14-12, 20:41
I don't have a WMD Nib bcg but I do run one of the older Fail Zero bcg's in my lmt suppressed and it works extremely well. Can't say they are better or not than my regular phosphate cause they run great also but they do clean up much easier. Works for me.

TacticalSledgehammer
05-14-12, 22:58
I've got a spikes NiB bcg in my LMT and really like it. Nickle boron really smoothes a bcg.

GrumpyM4
05-15-12, 05:25
I have ran a similar round count with a standard BCG under similar conditions with less failures.

Am I splitting hairs? No, the failure to lock backs were most likely caused due to the carbine being overgassed, something the BCG has no control of, anyway. But what is the point of spending the extra $$$

Since it was a bushy barrel, you're probably right about the over-gassed issue.

And like you said, not a fault with the BCG.

At the same time, there've been a few several thousand round/no lube tests done with FZ BCGs that have exceeded my little "test".

I know, who they hell would do that as a normal course of business? Point being that it can be done and means that under poor conditions, the gun will continue to run.

Even if it's s solution in search of a problem, the piece of mind can be worth it to some.

BufordTJustice
05-15-12, 15:28
Call me crazy, but these exact BCG's are all I use now. I actually had a few of the Spike's and literally could not stand the stupid-ass Spider on them - sold 'em for what I got 'em for.
These are very high quality BCGs from the best NiB coater on the market. I've also had WMD coat an AR10 BCG for me - unbelieveable difference on a 308 BCG. That thing was like dragging a telephone pole through gravel before.

I'm a fan. Have nothing but good things to say about NiB. I've also been able to get away with MUCH more agrressive spring/buffer combos with NiB carriers where a phosphate BCG in the same gun would shortstroke, fail to lock back etc.

I sure hope this doesn't turn into a "NiB is a solution looking for a problem" thread.

I'm a fan as well. I have a newer version of the spikes....and I hate the logo. But they are now using grade 8 torx fasteners, like Grant @ G&R. They are huge and beefy and staked really well.

I've had the same experience with being able to run heavier buffers. I use a Vltor A5H4 under my BCM 14.5" middy. It runs even on cheap russian ammo.

Only thing is, I still only trust LMT/Colt/BCM for my bolts. I run an LMT bolt w/ undercut lugs (that's all of 'em) that I got from Grant on mine.

Brahmzy
05-15-12, 16:02
I'm a fan as well. I have a newer version of the spikes....and I hate the logo. But they are now using grade 8 torx fasteners, like Grant @ G&R. They are huge and beefy and staked really well.

I've had the same experience with being able to run heavier buffers. I use a Vltor A5H4 under my BCM 14.5" middy. It runs even on cheap russian ammo.

Only thing is, I still only trust LMT/Colt/BCM for my bolts. I run an LMT bolt w/ undercut lugs (that's all of 'em) that I got from Grant on mine.

I hear ya - the carrier's the main benefit of NiB anyway. I've been staying away from those LMT bolts - I think if I got one, I'd end up outfitting my entire ARmada with them and my wife would remove my other testicle. I've never had a bolt failure of any sort yet, surprisingly, but if I do, A - hopefully it's on the range, and B - I'll be giving the LMTs a shot.

dodgefreak8
02-01-13, 14:11
Little update: I have put a few thousand rounds through this upper and not a drop of oil. Finish is holding up great. Cleaning is easier but not a simple wipe off every time. It has discolored a bit from heat but i am thoroughly impressed with it all around.

markm
02-01-13, 14:31
Interesting. I keep seeing these on Gunbroker, but wasn't sure what the scoop was on them. They seem to bring a lot of money.

ZINCOGNITO
02-01-13, 15:03
Little update: I have put a few thousand rounds through this upper and not a drop of oil. Finish is holding up great. Cleaning is easier but not a simple wipe off every time. It has discolored a bit from heat but i am thoroughly impressed with it all around.

I keep reading about discoloration but I have yet to see decent pictures demonstrating how much discoloration. Care to snap some good pics?

dodgefreak8
02-01-13, 20:57
I just tried for an hour to get a pic of what i am describing as discoloration... all the pics sucked:angry: The only way to describe it is that the finish almost looks stained from the carbon. It is not actual carbon build up but it isn't near as shiny as it was new.. That being said it still functions awesome and feels as slick to the touch as the day I opened it. I have NEVER oiled the BCG in this rifle.

uglyducky
02-01-13, 21:03
I just tried for an hour to get a pic of what i am describing as discoloration... all the pics sucked:angry: The only way to describe it is that the finish almost looks stained from the carbon. It is not actual carbon build up but it isn't near as shiny as it was new.. That being said it still functions awesome and feels as slick to the touch as the day I opened it. I have NEVER oiled the BCG in this rifle.
sounds like i need to try one of these!

Nutro
02-01-13, 21:40
HA! I was just looking around for some info on these. I'm about to order 2 of them but was paranoid.

I have 2 Spike's NiB BCG and 2 Rguns NiB BCG and love them all.

ZINCOGNITO
02-04-13, 21:59
I just tried for an hour to get a pic of what i am describing as discoloration... all the pics sucked:angry: The only way to describe it is that the finish almost looks stained from the carbon. It is not actual carbon ld up but it isn't near as shiny as it was new.. That being said it still functions awesome and feels as slick to the touch as the day I opened it. I have NEVER oiled the BCG in this rifle.

Thanks for trying. I'm 90% convinced in purchasing one of these but I can't help to think some of that discoloration could be mitigated by a little lubrication. I guess I'll need to see for myself.

MistWolf
02-04-13, 23:23
I run a FailZero in a precision rifle. Just their carrier, not the bolt or hammer. It has discoloration which I believe is from the carbon, not the heat (carriers do not get all that hot even when run hard). It's a darker grey than it was and still as slick as it was when new. The carrier feels smoother when racked and seems to hold oil a little better, but I notice no practical difference in function between it and a parked carrier

Brahmzy
02-05-13, 07:19
I'm not exactly sure what discoloration is being discussed here.
I've got thousands of rounds across multiple WMD NiB BCGs.

The only discoloration that mine have are the bolt tails. That's it.
Everything else looks shiny and brand new.

The bolt tail is such a high heat area, even chrome will permanently discolor. The heat bonds the carbon in that area and that's normal - does not affect function. You can still scrape all of the carbon off like a normal bolt.

Dave L.
02-05-13, 07:29
On both my Chromed Young's and my FZ coated extractors, neither were as sharp as a standard Colt/BCM/LMT/DD extractor.

I'm thinking the metal prep and coating dulls the edge down.

Have you noticed this with the WMD extractor?

I've considered swapping both coated extractors for standard ones soon, but have not had any problems to date. Just more of a paranoia thing I guess.

markm
02-05-13, 07:35
I have a Nickel Boron from Rainier I'll have to check out.

MistWolf
02-05-13, 10:08
I'm not exactly sure what discoloration is being discussed here...

Mine is from staining left behind from the carbon fouling. It's turned the finish a little darker than it was and is a bit mottled. Nothing to be concerned with, the finish isn't damaged. It might come off if scrubbed with a bit of white Scotchbrite. I'm not planning to do so, just musing

Zane1844
02-05-13, 10:25
I have really been wanting to try this but not wanting to spend the extra cash for it. I know I will one day.

Dave L.
02-05-13, 10:46
I have really been wanting to try this but not wanting to spend the extra cash for it. I know I will one day.

IMHO, it's not worth it unless you NEEEEED a BCG and can't get a Colt/DD/LMT/BCM product.

I bought my FZ and Young's (Chromed) during the last AR Hoard Fest because nothing else was available. Since then I bought 1 BCM and 2 DD's.

ltdanicecream
02-06-13, 17:06
I wanted to pick one up but they seem impossible to find these days. :(

Bizzarolibe
02-06-13, 18:04
I have a Spikes NiB BCG that I've had for a while now. Regardless of whether it functions better than my park'd carriers, there is a noticeable "smoothness" when you charge it. I'm almost certain that a lower friction co-efficient would have to confer at least some slight advantage in the area of reliability, but my understanding of physics is admittedly confined to the university classroom.

Of course, I've never experienced a failure with either my BCM or Rainier Arms (DD I think) BCG's. Not one. And I don't keep them particularly clean...

So yeah, if you have a bit of extra money to throw around, try one out. If not, I say you'll be just as well served with a BCM, Spikes, DD, etc.

tvfreakarms
04-20-13, 03:00
What is the going rate for this wmd bcg?
i noticed fz r pretty pricey (i think 279).

i seen a wmd w/hammer for 229. is that a higher pricey cause of the panic or the normal price?

drx
04-20-13, 04:07
What is the going rate for this wmd bcg?
i noticed fz r pretty pricey (i think 279).

i seen a wmd w/hammer for 229. is that a higher pricey cause of the panic or the normal price?

229 isnt too bad with a hammer, IIRC they were 209 before the crazies

Pax
04-20-13, 04:13
CORE15 has them on their site for $250 I think.

No statement from them that Im aware of regarding materials or manufacturing processes, though. Id contact them for it if saving the 30 bucks of whatever is that important to you. Dont think theirs comes with a hammer.

Kling Klong
04-20-13, 08:20
I ordered one this morning from Botech with hammer for $229. http://www.botachtactical.com/wmdnibocagrw.html

It was in stock when I ordered it. I don't know how many they have.

tvfreakarms
04-20-13, 17:32
Im thinking waiting for the damn panic to cool down. maybe it will be cheaper or go back to the regular price.
it seems this bcg is better priced than fz bcg. same finish or similar

I ordered one this morning from Botech with hammer for $229. http://www.botachtactical.com/wmdnibocagrw.html

It was in stock when I ordered it. I don't know how many they have.