PDA

View Full Version : Troy Extreme Battlerail 2012

lasvegasone
01-22-12, 14:29
Has the Troy TRX Extreme Battlerail been dicontinued?

Quote from the Troy website:
** Troy is upgrading the TRX Extreme to the Alpha Rail. Within the next 60 days, TRX Extreme purchases may be shipped with the upgraded Alpha Rail. **

Based on the Troy 2012 catalog, it seems the TRX Extreme has been discontinued. It appears the locking mechanism for the Alpha rail has changed also.

From the 2012 catalog:

highxj
01-22-12, 14:39
That attachment system looks to be the same as on my Alpha rail.

bsmith_shoot
01-22-12, 17:43
I like the option with the built-in sight. That rail, in FDE, on my 11.5 BCM would be nice I think.

Jmacken37
01-22-12, 17:46
A Troy rep indicated that the Alpha attachment was better than the TRX Extreme.

Jake

TacticalTyler
01-22-12, 18:39
That kinda sucks for me. I just bought a 13inch TRX Extreme battle rail about a couple weeks ago. Relized the way it mounts to the barrel nut sucks. When you tighten down the rail on the nut it causes the rail to actually move down from the upper reciever. Proble would cause sight issues with my kac front flip up sight?

seb5
01-22-12, 18:48
That kinda sucks for me. I just bought a 13inch TRX Extreme battle rail about a couple weeks ago. Relized the way it mounts to the barrel nut sucks. When you tighten down the rail on the nut it causes the rail to actually move down from the upper reciever. Proble would cause sight issues with my kac front flip up sight?

You have to decide whether you like it or not. It will not cause issues with flip up front sites. Some people don't like them but look at all the people who use and like them. Opinons are like body orifices, everybody has them but some are fuller than others. FWIW I've got 3 13"s with flip up that have been through 3 different classes, carried in my car and used regularly for duty and SWAT without issue.

sgtrock82
01-22-12, 20:49
After handling the troy rails (finally!) at SHOT, Ill be buying a 13" alpha rail some time in the next few months. It felt solid and uses the stock barrel nut, which I think will be a big plus. The folding front sight is pretty slick and is spring loaded too. From my discussion with the rep, I shouldnt have to remove the barrel or do anything more than shave the FSB and cut off the hand guard cap to install. There by allowing me to kick the can down the road on buying armorer tools, but we shall see.

Bluedreaux
01-22-12, 20:53
Do the integral sights on these newer models lock up and down, or just down?

nickdrak
01-22-12, 20:56
They lock in the up position also.

Bluedreaux
01-22-12, 21:29
Cool. Thanks.

SteveL
01-22-12, 21:45
Cool. Thanks.

I've read reports that the integral sights aren't very sturdy and that alot of them have wobble when deployed. Has this issue been resolved, or is it blown out of proportion?

nickdrak
01-22-12, 21:52
Seems plenty sturdy to me? While there is a little bit of play when it is locked in the up position, it is nothing that will affect accuracy. It is definitely not loose enough to wooble or anything to cause a shift in accuracy if you know what im sayin'

pilotguyo540
01-23-12, 00:37
Does anyone know if these will work with the previous TRX Extremr barrel nut, or only with the standard barrel nut?

nickdrak
01-23-12, 02:08
Does anyone know if these will work with the previous TRX Extremr barrel nut, or only with the standard barrel nut?

Negative. I emailed Troy about this a few weeks ago and was told the "Alpha" rail IS NOT compatible with the TRX "Extreme" proprietary barrel nut.

TacticalTyler
01-23-12, 13:21
You have to decide whether you like it or not. It will not cause issues with flip up front sites. Some people don't like them but look at all the people who use and like them. Opinons are like body orifices, everybody has them but some are fuller than others. FWIW I've got 3 13"s with flip up that have been through 3 different classes, carried in my car and used regularly for duty and SWAT without issue.

Well that makes me feel a little better. I just herd "stories" about flip up sights being off on target. I didnt even get a chance to shoot it with the new rail on. So, I should've shot it first then opened my mouth. haha. Thanks for your input.

DeAdeYE15
06-15-12, 06:23
I don't know why but I like the TRX better. I know they look essentially the same. It must be the bolt heads showing on the alpha? The TRX does move a bit when tightened down, but I imagine as long as you tightened it and left it there would be no problems with the sights. The movement is up and down so wouldn't be an issue. The TRX was extremely popular so I would say the Alpha will be too.

Lockup1109
06-15-12, 09:25
Has anyone triEd out the new Bravo battle rails? Thinking about grabbing the 11" for a 14.5" build im finishing up.

mkmckinley
06-15-12, 09:38
The Alpha rail is better due to the attachment method and, in my opinion, the use of a standard USGI barrel nut. The Alpha uses three screw threaded into steel nuts that center the rail on tightening. The TRX, while serviceable, uses two screws threaded into inserts that can strip out.

Lockup1109
06-15-12, 10:41
What about the new Bravo rail? It uses the usgi barrel nut as well but does anyone know how the new "revolutionary tri clamp design" works?