PDA

View Full Version : Who make the prefered battle grip for the AR?

Street Survival
01-22-12, 18:02
Gentlemen,

Who makes the preferred "vertical" forward battle grip the the AR-15/M-16? Am I correct in assuming LaRue? Thanks for your sage advise.

bsmith_shoot
01-22-12, 18:07
Im gonna go with Magpul, or Troy, or Ergo, or maybe even the new BCM will be, or the stock A2 grip maybe. You decide. :D

m249saw
01-22-12, 18:08
Vertical grip or rear grip?

Terlingueno
01-22-12, 18:09
I prefer the A2 grip by whomever made it for Colt

WS6
01-22-12, 18:11
Gentlemen,

Who makes the preferred battle grip the the AR-15/M-16? Am I correct in assuming LaRue? Thanks for your sage advise.

I love my FUG. Mainly because it is Easily QD and I hate the way Tango-Down's feel with their asymetric design.

That said, as long as it's quality product, go with what you feel suites you best. If it fits...wear it.

Aside from that, I like the Magpul MOE for the rear grip. I always ran medium straps on my MIAD, and this is about the same deal minus a removable part I never remove.

d90king
01-22-12, 18:17
The preferred grip is the one that YOU like best. A bunch of strangers on the web cant tell you what YOU will like, they can only tell you what they like.

If you take the time to detail what attributes you are looking for in a grip maybe someone could help you.

WS6
01-22-12, 18:21
The preferred grip is the one that YOU like best. A bunch of strangers on the web cant tell you what YOU will like, they can only tell you what they like.

If you take the time to detail what attributes you are looking for in a grip maybe someone could help you.

+1, the problem is, a lot of people can't try before they buy. I know people who will buy 3-4 grips and then return the one's they don't like after fingering them on their pistol/rifle. That is kindof disgusting to me, as I am sure it is to most vendors who get that kind of order.

The only thing left to do is ask opinions, which as you noted really is a huge disadvantage compared to handling them.

If you like H&K USP's, you will like Magpul's MIAD/MOE, imo.

THat is about the only one I can relate to the other.

Moltke
01-22-12, 18:28
Most popular recenlty is Magpul MOE/MIAD.

d90king
01-22-12, 18:37
Most popular recenlty is Magpul MOE/MIAD.

I thought 2010 was the MIAD and 2012 is the MOE+ :confused:

Biggy
01-22-12, 18:38
I believe the new BCM pistol grips will be huge sellers. Put me down for two of the version 2's in FDE. Has anyone heard how close these are to coming out ?

JSGlock34
01-22-12, 18:43

I prefer a size 7 hat.

Seriously, you might as well ask the same question. D90 is right - only you can answer this question.

From a sheer numbers standpoint, there are probably more A2 grips out there than anything else, yet there are members here who will tell you the A2 is the first thing they rip off a newly acquired AR. After the A2, the Magpul MOE is probably the most common grip that I've encountered.

Go to a store or show and see what you can try out. The number of grip options has simply exploded in the past five years - A2, Hogue, Ergo, Tango Down, Troy, Magpul (which alone has four different offerings), Stark, VTAC, HK and now this year BCM and LaRue have joined the fray. The LaRue is so new that I've yet to see one or even hear of anyone who has tried it. I'm sure there are grips out there that I didn't even mention. Again, your best bet is to try some out and see what you prefer.

SteadyUp
01-22-12, 19:18
If we're talking about the rear pistol grip, I prefer a Magpul MIAD, with the medium backstrap. The MOE also works for me, but it is the tiniest bit too small for me. I never was crazy about the A2 grip, the nub didn't fit my hand.

As far as vertical forwards grips go, I have tried the Tango Down stubby, and the Troy Modular Combat Grip. Between the two, I feel the Troy is superior, because of its modular nature. I can choose between full length, and stubby, and there also is an end cap that be used on each section, if you want to store something in the grip.

Moltke
01-22-12, 19:23
I took the OP's post to mean "preferred" = "coolest", and from what I've seen, I was just generalizing with Magpul pistol grips.

benw315
01-22-12, 19:24
I prefer the MOE. If it helps, my hands are size medium. I haven't had a chance to try much else however, only the stock grip. The new BCM grips look nice also. It may be worth dropping a few bucks to try one out.

Dano5326
01-23-12, 00:11
I prefer blond battle boobs, except on Tuesdays I like brunettes, Thurs redheads and every other Friday I like jet black.

For AR variants 5.56 & 7.62, AK's, and SCAR I use the Tangodown Battle Grip BG-17

Wiggity
01-23-12, 00:15
I use the Magpul Miad. Reason being I have big hands and the largest blackstrap is what works for me.

VIP3R 237
01-23-12, 00:30
The bcm grip is nice, held it at shot, it reminds me of a less bulky hk 416 grip without the finger bump. Also the mission first tactical is very comfortable. My favorite is the strike industries one at the moment, i have smaller hands and it feels to me the in between of the tango down and the moe.

Dave_M
01-23-12, 01:13
I largely prefer the TD grip.

However, I pretty much despise anything with a backstrap as I use a high hold (which throws out pretty much half the competition). An A2 with a nubbin' shaved off (which I rock on my SCAR-16) is a close second actually.

I didn't realize how much I didn't like the A2 until I tried a TD and then I never went back.

Casull
01-23-12, 01:52
Your question makes no sense. Please re-phrase it.

steve--oh
01-23-12, 02:00
You asked, so here's my "preferred"s.
For a pistol grip a lot of dudes rock magpul, I use the one piece but the multi piece MIAD is pretty common.

for a fore-grip anything durable with a quick detatch. Something you can work with one hand to get on and off. If you're shooting behind sandbags you want to get as low as possible, which means resting the M4 handguards on the sandbags when you're scanning. so that grip will need to go on and off a lot. Otherwise, if there's a permanently attached foregrip you'll be resting your barrel on the sandbags and they will melt to your hot barrel. And then you'll be that retard with the melted sandbag on his barrel. Uh, don't ask me how I know....
I use the bobro grip just because I already had one, it works, but the TD ones seem pretty popular 'round these here parts.

Orange-Fox
01-23-12, 02:41
Asking for the best grip on the net is like asking for me to tell you your boot size,

But I'll try.

A few things you have to answer for yourself are, will this be for a benchrest gun or for a on the move carbine, as a benchgun grip is just there for aiming and finger placement, while on a carbine during reloads all that will be controlling your carbine will be your one hand and you don't want that magwell moving about as you frantically try to reload(BTDT), how does your body interface with the rifle(arm length, etc.), what position is your stock normally at(if you have a adjustable stock) since if you run with the stock totally or mostly collapsed a grip with a more vertical profile (MagPul MOE-K, Stark, BCM & TangoDown BG16/BG17) will be less fatiguing and how much does your arm bend, do you like tucking in your arm or chicken winging as this will also have an impact and last but not least how big is your palm and how long are your fingers, never talk about hand size as you can't combing the two, I have a large palm with medium fingers and most important thing for me is that my palm interfaces good, the fingers are there just to add pressure, that's why I can't handle A1/A2's my palm just doesn't have anything to hang onto.

Grips I've personally owned

A1's & A2's - Couldn't stand it, to small to grip, might as well have been a pipe.

Hogue - Too sticky, small and finger grooves didn't matchup that well.

TD BG16 - Not that bad, good grip and weapons control, just a little to small.

MagPul MIAD - Ran this one for years, F1/B3 worked best as I could get a real grip and feel control of the weapon with one hand.

Stark SE-1 - Have been running it for a month or so and don't like it, it's too circular, allowing the weapon to rotate when one handed, the integral trigger guard is to low to allow a high grip, it would be fine for a bench/bipod gun, but not a carbine IMHO.

I'm back to the MIAD, will be acquiring the LaRue A-P.E.G R Grip, MagPul MOE-K & TangoDown BG17(Some how I missed it:confused:) some time soon to try out.

P.S. The best thing for you to do is pick 4 or 5 of the best grips you'd think you'd like and buy them, run each for a week or two, through dry practice, drills, holding it for hours and some range time, then take the grips you can't stand and do one of the following, give it to your dogs, trade or post them on the equipment exchange or toss them, and with ones you like, put the best one on you rifle and other ones under you pillow and pray to the m4 fairy and in a few months you'll a few new rifles:lol:

Casull
01-23-12, 02:47
Goin' with the flow, I personally like the ERGO grip. It just felt right with how I manipulate the weapon personally. The rubberized type just really makes grip that much better to me.

As for what I initially thought your question was,

The A2 grip is made by many vendors and is the common grip you see. I'm pretty sure there is a dominant source but I have no idea who that is.

MrSmitty
01-23-12, 04:56
I've used the MIAD for a couple couple years. I prefer the large back strap for it as I have long fingers, it fit me perfectly. Tried the MOE+ on a recent build and have fallen in love with it. Very grippy, wish they made a large sized one or a rubberized MIAD so I could have the best of both worlds!

rob_s
01-23-12, 05:14
Best thing to do is to start with the A2 and figure out what you DON'T like about it and look for options that address it. If you decide you don't like the finger groove, then you can eliminate any grips with a groove. If you decide it's not long enough front to back, you can look for grips with a backstrap that goes up on the lower receiver. If you decide it's not fat enough, you can look for grips that have palm swells.

My current favorite is the Tango Down BG-17 for pistol grips and the Tango Down stubby for a VFG.

markm
01-23-12, 07:42
Are we REALLY entertaining this nonsense? :blink: