PDA

View Full Version : New Noveske NSR rail!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Amur
07-22-12, 15:20
Panels and handstops for the NSR are in production and should be packaged and shipping soon.

An offset mount for the SF Scout will be next. A ring mount for handhelds is a good possibility after that.

We don't have plans for a vert grip at this time but there are several companies looking at making one.

Thanks for the response Todd and thank you for making great new products.

Alex

SteveL
07-22-12, 17:36
Panels and handstops for the NSR are in production and should be packaged and shipping soon.

An offset mount for the SF Scout will be next. A ring mount for handhelds is a good possibility after that.

We don't have plans for a vert grip at this time but there are several companies looking at making one.

Are you able to tell us which companies are looking to make a VFG?

og556
07-22-12, 19:53
When will you guys have the heatshield available and will it work in conjunction to the panels ?

FishingFool
07-23-12, 19:15
Will the 13.5" cover the gas block on a rifle length? If not, whats the weight difference between the 13.5 and 16.7?

Todd.K
07-24-12, 14:25
When will you guys have the heatshield available and will it work in conjunction to the panels ?
The heat shield will not interfere with mounting panels or KeyMod accessories. I don't have a release date for it.

Are you able to tell us which companies are looking to make a VFG?I can't at this time.
You can also ask your favorite VFG maker to consider making it.

If you want to cover the bottom and both sides of your handguard it looks like you'll need to buy two sets. Is this correct or am I overlooking something? Will you be able to buy various pieces separately without having to buy an entire set?You will probably want two sets. The price for the kit is going to be low, and partly by less packaging and individual items to inventory.

SteveL
07-24-12, 14:32
Thanks for the follow-up Todd.

ROG Tactical
07-24-12, 16:39
Here is what a 9" NSR looks like on a 14.5" Light Carbine.

http://s4e5fc2d16a332.img.gostorego.com/802754/cdn/media/s4/e5/fc/2d/16/a3/32/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/e/rear_sight_folded_down.jpg

M4Fundi
07-24-12, 18:34
Any timeline on the VIS NSR's?

Also, will a 9" VIS and 9" VIS NSR have the same exact length measurements? May sound like a dumb question, but I'm having a 12.5" bbl cut down to a length where an Ops M4S will sit just about flush with a 9" standard VIS and would like to know that it will still fit the NSR version if I were to switch it over? (which is a big possibility!)

I can't remember if I answered this... so here goes again

VLTOR says the VIS NSR should be available the 2nd week of September.

I will be installing a Noveske NSR tonight on a 14.5 build:D

I really am looking forward to the VIS NSR as I think that is going to answer all my prayers ;)

ROG Tactical
07-24-12, 21:17
I can't remember if I answered this... so here goes again

I will be installing a Noveske NSR tonight on a 14.5 build:D

I really am looking forward to the VIS NSR as I think that is going to answer all my prayers ;)

*Disregard* Last I heard, Noveske is not getting the VIS KeyMod. I don't know if that means they just aren't going to get them, or if it means the VIS KeyMod is not going to be produced. This is just what I was told from Noveske, not VLTOR. For all I know, VLTOR could still be pushing forward with them.

edit: Todd and others confirm Noveske is still getting the VIS-KM. My apologies for regurgitating the mis-information I received.

Sindervhit
07-24-12, 22:04
You can also ask your favorite VFG maker to consider making it.

I think I would prefer an AFG over a VFG...*hintitty hint hint Magpul...

M4Fundi
07-24-12, 22:19
I believe these are relative here as the VLTOR VIS KM and the Noveske NSR are shared technology, but I will be starting a new thread about these so as not to derail this NSR specific thread.

VLTOR is forging ahead with the VIS-KM and it looks OUTSTANDING! (mid Sept at the earliest)

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/VISKM12b.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/VISKMgroup2.jpg

bzdog
07-24-12, 22:57
The panels are available for order on Noveske's web site.

-john

Brahmzy
07-24-12, 23:36

-john

Thanks. Ordered. Saw the STSs were available too now. Passed for now.

ROG Tactical
07-25-12, 00:52
I believe these are relative here as the VLTOR VIS KM and the Noveske NSR are shared technology, but I will be starting a new thread about these so as not to derail this NSR specific thread.

VLTOR is forging ahead with the VIS-KM and it looks OUTSTANDING! (mid Sept at the earliest)

Thanks for sharing this M4Fundi! I am glad they are going to be released...i like it!

dukduk
07-25-12, 08:59
does LMT's patent affect anyone beside from MEGA?

Todd.K
07-25-12, 10:07

The KeyMod system shouldn't be confused with the specific handguard because any KeyMod accessory will fit both the Vltor VIS-KM and Noveske NSR while there are NSR specific accessories (like panels) that only fit the NSR.

Ironman8
07-25-12, 10:41
The KeyMod system shouldn't be confused with the specific handguard because any KeyMod accessory will fit both the Vltor VIS-KM and Noveske NSR while there are NSR specific accessories (like panels) that only fit the NSR.

Is there any particular reason why Noveske will not be using the VIS-KM?

Todd.K
07-25-12, 12:01
Is there any particular reason why Noveske will not be using the VIS-KM?

I've already said our VIS models will change over to the KeyMod when available. I don't know of any changes to that except the production date got pushed back, so sales probably stopped talking about them until we are closer to getting them.

SteveL
07-25-12, 12:34

-john

But only in black. Is there any idea when the other colors will be available?

SteveL
07-25-12, 12:36

The first thing that jumps out at me with these is that they used KeyMod slots on every surface instead of only at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. IMO that is an improvement. I wished early on that Noveske had done this on the regular NSR rail as it would (presumably) allow a little more flexibility with mounting options. An example would be that you can mount your light above the plastic handguard pieces without having to choose one or the other.

Todd.K
07-25-12, 15:27
An example would be that you can mount your light above the plastic handguard pieces without having to choose one or the other.

To be able to get to the screws that attach the KM mount it needs to be offset anyway. It may work well if you leave a rail section on and use a 1913 rail mount on that.

Options are always good, and we will probably see several different takes on the KeyMod handguard with it being an open standard.

But only in black. Is there any idea when the other colors will be available?
Black ran first, the others will be a week or two behind.

Brahmzy
07-25-12, 16:01
I think the KeyMod interface relies on a certain amount of surface area/real estate. If the angles were KeyModded on the NSR rail - it'd be fat- just like every other rail out there. No thanks. You can see the VLTOR KeyMod VIS is already quite a bit fatter than the std. NSR rail. Don't be changin' ma skinny NSR rails plz. :-) They're perfect the way they are. Vendors usually always make pic-based offset solutions for the 3-6-9 points.

BigLarge
07-25-12, 23:06
Sorry if its been posted, anyone have the weight n dimensions handy?

M4Fundi
07-25-12, 23:49
Sorry if its been posted, anyone have the weight n dimensions handy?

For which NSR or VLTOR VIS-KM?

BigLarge
07-26-12, 00:06
For which NSR or VLTOR VIS-KM?

Saw the weights posted already for the Vltor VIS-KM. Interested in the weight for the NSR and the external dimensions. Was going to by a Troy XTac but this appears to be similar dimensions.

RHR
07-26-12, 10:47
Saw the weights posted already for the Vltor VIS-KM. Interested in the weight for the NSR and the external dimensions. Was going to by a Troy XTac but this appears to be similar dimensions.

From Noveske's site:

HANDGUARD WEIGHT:7.9 oz.
BARREL NUT WEIGHT:3.1 oz.

HANDGUARD WEIGHT:6.7oz.

HANDGUARD WEIGHT:5.6oz.

HANDGUARD WEIGHT:4.4oz.

Fiiyablade
07-26-12, 19:08
nice!

jaxman7
07-27-12, 21:37
This'll be a strange question but there have been a few commenting on the heat that builds up on the NSR and I was curious if anyone has used a Surefire tape switch with this handguard and has any input. I don't care about the heat issue (as pertaining to my hands) but was wondering if there have been any issues with said switches. I just ordered an NSR and will be using a SR07 tape switch.

-Jax

grunz
07-27-12, 23:04
Where would you put the tape switch?

militarymoron
07-28-12, 00:08
on the top rail. a surefire SR07 would work, as it's designed to mount directly onto the rail.

Biggy
07-28-12, 00:36
I would not mine at all if Noveske included the 1 1/6" crows foot wrench for the barrel nut as part of the package with the rail. I think they could probably do it and only have to raise the rail price by around $15.00

M4Fundi
07-28-12, 01:26
http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-97734-2-Inch-16-Inch-Crowfoot/dp/B002YK7MEG

If they did someone would say they would rather not have it and save the $... catch 22... I just think it is great that it is not proprietary and costs $50-150 like others.

Buy one on Amazon for about $4:)

jaxman7
07-28-12, 03:48

Yep, current setup is 12 o'clock right over the gas block.

Thanks for that link, M4Fundi, on the crow's foot.

Jax

jaxman7
07-28-12, 03:48
-Double Post-

panzerr
07-28-12, 05:28
I got to installing my NSR-11 this morning and I ran into a bit of an issue. How the crap do I torque this barrel nut down? You obviously can't get a crowfoot on this thing!

http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/NSR_barrel_nut.JPG

M4Fundi
07-28-12, 07:43
Its the metric barrel nut for their new MilRad barrels:p

Sorry that sucks:(... they are closed today, but I don't think Todd K. ever stops working if you PM him or email him I'll bet he gets back to you today.

I know someone is going to say that MilRad is not metric and is an angular measurement.... I know:rolleyes:

M4Fundi
07-28-12, 07:46
Is that thing even threaded inside?

I actually have an 11" NSR sitting here to be installed and your nut looks more like a tool for checking that the NSR rail holes are in spec.

panzerr
07-28-12, 07:47
Its the metric barrel nut for their new MilRad barrels:p

I wasn't sure if they made a sudden change or if there was a mix-up. Thanks for the heads-up!

panzerr
07-28-12, 07:48
Is that thing even threaded inside?

Yes, it is threaded on one end.

M4Fundi
07-28-12, 07:54
I wasn't sure if they made a sudden change or if there was a mix-up. Thanks for the heads-up!

Sorry Panzer that was a joke. I think it is a tool they use for spec'ing the NSR rail holes or something like that. I can't imagine the machining on the end would be a precut before they bored it out and threaded, but I am not an engineer. It does look like a shop tool for the rail of some sort. Try Todd K. he will get you sorted out fast!

M4Fundi
07-28-12, 07:56
If it is threaded on one end it might be an early prototype before they created the double sided 15 degree offset threaded nuts. I wonder what the tool looked like to torque that sucker.

Sorry you won't be shooting that this weekend, but you might have a Noveske Collector's Item as a paperweight for your desk:eek:

Bummed for you:(

panzerr
07-28-12, 08:00
Sorry Panzer that was a joke. I think it is a tool they use for spec'ing the NSR rail holes or something like that. I can't imagine the machining on the end would be a precut before they bored it out and threaded, but I am not an engineer. It does look like a shop tool for the rail of some sort. Try Todd K. he will get you sorted out fast!

Gotcha. In any event, it's not what it is supposed to be.

Biggy
07-28-12, 08:07

If they did someone would say they would rather not have it and save the $... catch 22... I just think it is great that it is not proprietary and costs $50-150 like others.

I picked up that same part # Sunex wrench at my auto parts store yesterday for $8.26 but unfortunately I will be returning it today because it is .600" thick and the flat on the barrel nut is .500" wide. I really don't mean to whine, and it will be taken care of with just a little more time, gas and hassle.

M4Fundi
07-28-12, 08:18
Thanks Biggy!

I already ordered it and my NSR is waiting on it:mad:...... do you know if the Sunex is wider than standard?:confused:

I wish John would sell the Crow's Foot so you could order from them.

Darn Panzzer maybe our rails will be installed on the same schedule:(

I know what I'll be doing today. I'll let everyone know when I find the best deal and correct width crow's foot wrench.

SteveL
07-28-12, 08:29

Just be aware that earlier in this thread someone bought a cheap Crowfoot wrench from Amazon and it wouldn't work because it was too thick to fit down onto the flats of the NSR barrel nut. I also bought one from NAPA that wouldn't work for the same reason. I ended up taking an angle grinder to mine to get it to work.

ETA: Sorry, someone beat me to it.

M4Fundi
07-28-12, 08:39
I'm searching as we speak and on the one's that have all dimensions listed they all seem to be wider than .6 inches:confused: I'll keep looking...

M4Fundi
07-28-12, 08:48
Snapon is 15/32 head depth and they are only $60:(

I have a grinder, but that is gonna NOT be fun.

I give up I can't find any confirmed with a .5 head depth or less except the Snapon.

Biggy
07-28-12, 08:48
Thanks Biggy!

I already ordered it and my NSR is waiting on it:mad:...... do you know if the Sunex is wider than standard?:confused:

I wish John would sell the Crow's Foot so you could order from them.

Darn Panzzer maybe our rails will be installed on the same schedule:(

I know what I'll be doing today. I'll let everyone know when I find the best deal and correct width crow's foot wrench.

Yes my Sunex wrench is approx .100" to wide to fit on the flat of the barrel nut. I really don't want to have to dick around grinding it down . I am taking it back right now and I will see what else is available and hopefuly under $20 and post back. I should have caught this as the Wilson Combat Trim Rail I had used an almost identical barrel nut, and I went through the same thing with it.

SteveL
07-28-12, 08:51
I'm searching as we speak and on the one's that have all dimensions listed they all seem to be wider than .6 inches:confused: I'll keep looking...

Grant confirmed earlier in this thread that the one from SnapOn will work, but IIRC it's $40 or $50. I've kept up with this thread pretty well and I don't recall anyone posting that they found a cheaper one that works. IMO if you don't have a need for a Crowfoot wrench other than this one barrel nut then you're best off just doing what I did and take a grinder to it and make it narrow enough to fit.

ETA: When I ground mine down it only took about 5 minutes. It wasn't nearly as bad or difficult as I expected it to be.

Biggy
07-28-12, 08:52
Snapon is 15/32 head depth and they are only $60:(

I have a grinder, but that is gonna not be fun.

Now you know why I posted about having the wrench being included with the rail.

jpmuscle
07-28-12, 08:53
You guys know a large crescent wrench works just as well right? No need to over-complicate a simple, user friendly design unnecessarily.

SteveL
07-28-12, 08:55
You guys know a large crescent wrench works just as well right? No need to over-complicate a simple, user friendly design unnecessarily.

It does, but if you're not comfortable doing the installation without using a torque wrench then you need a Crowfoot wrench.

Brahmzy
07-28-12, 09:08
I'm the one that went through all of this wrench BS earlier in the thread. Just buy the Snap-On. Once you use/feel your NSR, you'll buy more. No joke. Its the coolest handguard out there. You'll be glad you have a quality tool.

Biggy
07-28-12, 09:16

It depends on how large and what brand a cresent wrench you are talking about and if you feel you can judge between 40-80 ft lbs. My 12" and 15" are both to thick. One is a Craftsman the other is a off brand. I think most people would not mind paying $15-$20 more and would like to have the wrench be included with the rail rather than go through the hassle we are talking about.

Brahmzy
07-28-12, 09:46
I think most people would not mind paying $15-$20 more and would like having the wrench be included with the rail rather than go through the hassle we are talking about.

Agreed. Noveske could easily churn up a couple thousand cheap one-purpose crowfoots or outsource it and sell them for $20. I would've paid probably $30 for it. Just like TROY, DD n others do. Doesn't have to be built like a tank, just needs to fit/work.

grunz
07-28-12, 10:53
Double post.

grunz
07-28-12, 11:06
That barrel nut looks a lot like the Noveske SWS barrel nut used on their old rails. Those oval slots on the front edge is where the bbl nut wrench would engage the bbl nut. I have 2 Noveske N4s and the nut is very similar.

As far as the crow foot wrench goes I think Noveske should include a cheap one with each rail given the premium pricing on the NSR and the fact it comes with zero extra accessories oob.. Or at very least offer one for sale at nominal cost. Heck Troy included a free wrench with he much cheaper TRX rail not to mention a whole set of rail sections. It's a pain in the butt looking to find the proper wrench to install my NSR 13.5 and I don't want to spend 60 extra bucks on a snap on tool or hack away on the amazon.com wrench C'mon noveske... :)

BTW if you currently have a Noveske N4 with the SWS rails you can actually fit the NSR directly on the old BBL nut - the 6 screw pattern and spacing are 100% identical as is the bbl nut diameter. The only difference is that you will leave 1/4 inch gap of Bbl nut and gas tube uncovered at the receiver end since the bbl nut i longer. I wouldn't run the gun this way much if it all, but it's an intresting thing I stumbled onto.

jpmuscle
07-28-12, 11:06
It depends on how large and what brand a cresent wrench you are talking about and if you feel you can judge between 40-80 ft lbs. My 12" and 15" are both to thick. One is a Craftsman the other is a off brand. I think most people would not mind paying $15-$20 more and would like having the wrench be included with the rail rather than go through the hassle we are talking about.

Which is fine, all im saying is some people make the business of tightening barrel nuts out to be more complicated than it is. Do it a few times and judging torque becomes relatively easy.

grunz
07-28-12, 11:09
Picture of what I mentioned. Don't try this at home.

slickh
07-28-12, 11:13
I'm the one that went through all of this wrench BS earlier in the thread. Just buy the Snap-On. Once you use/feel your NSR, you'll buy more. No joke. Its the coolest handguard out there. You'll be glad you have a quality tool.

Have you people tried Ebay? I bought my Snap-On crawfoot for $22 , including shipping. There is a 3/8" drive on there now for $22 with free shipping.

Biggy
07-28-12, 12:08
Thanks for the heads up . I just got back from looking for another one. I went to Lowes, Menards, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Napa, Ace Hardware and my neighbor with all the tools, and no dice. So it looks like the Snap-on on Ebay or a date with my buddies Bridgeport or surface grinder.

Todd.K
07-28-12, 13:14
I got to installing my NSR-11 this morning and I ran into a bit of an issue.
Sorry, that is the SWS barrel nut you got. You will need to give us a call Monday and get the right one sent out.

This 27mm Crowfoot is listed at .5"
http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-SUN97327-Metric-Straight-Crowfoot/dp/B000I1PLUU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1343498411&sr=1-1&keywords=27+mm+crowfoot

panzerr
07-28-12, 14:39
Sorry, that is the SWS barrel nut you got. You will need to give us a call Monday and get the right one sent out.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-SUN97327-Metric-Straight-Crowfoot/dp/B000I1PLUU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1343498411&sr=1-1&keywords=27+mm+crowfoot

NBD, Todd. It's going on my 3rd Noveske AR and this is the first glitch I am yet to experience. I emailed Sheri so it'll get squared away.

yhmspecter
07-28-12, 18:42
I ended up going the ebay route for the Snap-on crowsfoot, and it was 22 shipped..It is true that the rail is quite nice and modular, so the thought of more than one NSR is justifiable

Stopsign32v
07-29-12, 11:26
Would something like this be possible to put on this handguard?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1415

M4Fundi
07-29-12, 16:25
Would something like this be possible to put on this handguard?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1415

Yes, with this
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display2.cgi?item_id=km-1913-5&cat=184&page=1&search=&since=&status=

HKBanger
07-30-12, 13:00
You guys really think that this will replace standard picatinny? I was figuring on running a Centurion 12" on my BCM middy, but now I'm leaning more towards the NSR 13.5" to "future proof" my AR, and because it's just drop dead sexy looking. Someone convince me otherwise. :D

Todd.K
07-30-12, 13:19
You guys really think that this will replace standard picatinny?

I think it will be hard for a company not to consider it for a new non fully railed handguard design.

It's a very well thought out system that is designed for recoil and counter recoil, doesn't have parts to loose, backing plates to try to position inside the handguard, is low profile with panels attached, and there will be a good selection of accessories from multiple sources available.

kwelz
07-30-12, 13:23
You guys really think that this will replace standard picatinny? I was figuring on running a Centurion 12" on my BCM middy, but now I'm leaning more towards the NSR 13.5" to "future proof" my AR, and because it's just drop dead sexy looking. Someone convince me otherwise. :D

The point isn't to "replace" anything. It is to offer an alternative to someone who doesn't need the full rail system.

Needs drive the gear not the other way around. So a civilian like myself doesn't need a full quad rail. I need a longer rail for better control, and mounting points for a BUIS, light and maybe something else minor. Something like the NSR or Troy Alpha gives us that ability along with the ability to add extra if needed.

Someone in the military may need more flexibility and the ability to move/add gear without screwing with small sections of rail.

HKBanger
07-30-12, 14:34
I think it will be hard for a company not to consider it for a new non fully railed handguard design.

It's a very well thought out system that is designed for recoil and counter recoil, doesn't have parts to loose, backing plates to try to position inside the handguard, is low profile with panels attached, and there will be a good selection of accessories from multiple sources available.

No doubt. I definitely get sick of trying to put the back plates onto the modular rails. I love the Alpha Rail just as much as the next guy, but those plates are a PITA. Quick question, as I have not been able to find the answer elsewhere -- do the optional rail sections fit flush onto the rail or is there a small gap between the rail panels and the rail's body, similar to the TRX/Alpha? I'm hoping it's flush as that's just a huge pet peeve for me and drives me batty when using a vertical grip.

The point isn't to "replace" anything. It is to offer an alternative to someone who doesn't need the full rail system.

Needs drive the gear not the other way around. So a civilian like myself doesn't need a full quad rail. I need a longer rail for better control, and mounting points for a BUIS, light and maybe something else minor. Something like the NSR or Troy Alpha gives us that ability along with the ability to add extra if needed.

Someone in the military may need more flexibility and the ability to move/add gear without screwing with small sections of rail.

I understand your points, however once you add a rail section or two, you pretty much throw any weight savings out the window and the only real benefit of a modular rail (for someone who uses accessories) becomes the slim profile, and perhaps faster cooling

Most rail sections weigh between 1-2oz depending on the size, etc. Suddenly an ultra-light, modular 11oz rail turns into a 15-16 oz rail and it's only got rail on two little sections in comparison to a similar length quad rail which runs 13-14oz for an entire quad rail w/ QD sockets, etc.

The Noveske website claims that the days of picatinny rails are "numbered" but then elsewhere they also claim it's not to replace, but to compliment.

All that being said, I'm definitely digging the NSR and I really hope to see some good vertical grips be released using the KeyMod mounting.

Todd.K
07-30-12, 20:29
do the optional rail sections fit flush onto the rail or is there a small gap between the rail panels and the rail's body, similar to the TRX/Alpha?
The rail sections fit flush on the handguard.

The Noveske website claims that the days of picatinny rails are "numbered" but then elsewhere they also claim it's not to replace, but to compliment.

...once you add a rail section or two, you pretty much throw any weight savings out the window
I think you may have missed the somewhat sarcastic over the top marketing feel there...

But with direct attach KeyMod accessories you don't need the weight of a rail section plus the weight of the mount.

Brahmzy
07-31-12, 08:10
Well I got my tracking number for my rail panels yesterday (ordered 2 packs.) Nice price on these BTW.

I'll try to have some pics/impressions up when they get in.

jaxman7
07-31-12, 09:17
Well I got my tracking number for my rail panels yesterday (ordered 2 packs.) Nice price on these BTW.

I'll try to have some pics/impressions up when they get in.

Same here, received my tracking number as well. Ordered two packs. $11.95 per pack. Great price.

-Jax

nickdrak
07-31-12, 23:28
Hey, I started this thread 29 pages ago! Do I win somethin'???:p

Brahmzy
07-31-12, 23:50
Hey, I started this thread 29 pages ago! Do I win somethin'???:p

It is rather amusing this thread is still going. Typically a released product would get a new thread elsewhere. But hey, it works. Um, I'll let you touch one of my KeyMod slots FTW? :p

bzdog
08-01-12, 13:25
FWIW, I got my 16" Noveske Rogue Hunter in 300BLK with NSR (13.5") earlier this week, and today I received my order of panels and other accessories.

While clearly I'll have to play with placement and different setups, initially, I ended up using three sets of panels:

1 QD, 2 single panels + 1 long panel + 1 QD on left.
4 single panels + 1 long panel on bottom.
1 2" rail section (light mount) + 4 single panel + 1 long panel on right.

The panels are thin and light. Hard plastic with light texture. The long panels take a bit of effort to get on due to trying to press in and down at the same time, and likewise not wanting to mar either the panel or rail.

-john

bzdog
08-01-12, 17:44
Todd,

I noticed the QD mounts you are currently offering for this rail are non-rotation mounts. Any chance you'll offer a free spinning mount?

Thanks,

-john

jaxman7
08-01-12, 17:56
FWIW, I got my 16" Noveske Rogue Hunter in 300BLK with NSR (13.5") earlier this week, and today I received my order of panels and other accessories.

While clearly I'll have to play with placement and different setups, initially, I ended up using three sets of panels:

1 QD, 2 single panels + 1 long panel + 1 QD on left.
4 single panels + 1 long panel on bottom.
1 2" rail section (light mount) + 4 single panel + 1 long panel on right.

The panels are thin and light. Hard plastic with light texture. The long panels take a bit of effort to get on due to trying to press in and down at the same time, and likewise not wanting to mar either the panel or rail.

-john

Got any pics man?

-Jax

TomV
08-01-12, 18:53
They are a bear to get on. Plastic seems very hard. Tears up the thumbs.

I ordered 3 kits thinking I could do both of my uppers. But it is pretty much 1 package per side of the rail.
Still not sure about the layout. Plan it carefully, you only want to do this once.

This is a 11" Rail
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z98/Corona6Dude/NSR1.jpg

Left over pieces:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z98/Corona6Dude/NSR2.jpg

jaxman7
08-01-12, 20:51
Thanks for the pics TomV. I've got a feeling the soldering/stippling gun will be getting used when I get these in.

Have you had a chance to shoot with the panels mounted?

-Jax

bzdog
08-01-12, 21:27
Got any pics man?

OK, here are some quick and dirty pics. I haven't even cleaned her yet.

Aimpoint H1 2MOA with Larue LT660 on order. Probably switch to a smaller, lighter and closer light at some point.

-john

TomV
08-01-12, 21:52
Have you had a chance to shoot with the panels mounted?

-Jax

Brand new gun, hasn't been shot at all. I was going to shoot it last weekend, but I decided to wait for the panels.

Noveske 14.5" Upper (http://www.tieronearms.com/Noveske-NSR-p/nsrlopro-14.5.htm) and a Quentin Defense Billet Lower.

jaxman7
08-01-12, 22:33
Brand new gun, hasn't been shot at all. I was going to shoot it last weekend, but I decided to wait for the panels.

Noveske 14.5" Upper (http://www.tieronearms.com/Noveske-NSR-p/nsrlopro-14.5.htm) and a Quentin Defense Billet Lower.

Copy that. Nice upper! How dare you not shoot it yet. ;)

-Jax

jaxman7
08-01-12, 22:47
OK, here are some quick and dirty pics. I haven't even cleaned her yet.

Aimpoint H1 2MOA with Larue LT660 on order. Probably switch to a smaller, lighter and closer light at some point.

-john

Nice and thanks.

Just got mine in tonight.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-08-01_21-25-11_664.jpg

Because I thought it wouldn't be a problem finding a crows foot wrench and after looking all over the place for one w/no success, this is only a mock up picture. At least until my $4.62 wrench from Amazon arrives.

Looking forward to the KeyMod mounts for the Scout light. The MOE panels do mount nicely though. There is a channel on the inside that locks the MOE backing plate in perfectly.

Now that the NSR has been out for awhile I am curious to know if anyone has used one that is not pinned to the upper and has had any rotation issues.

-Jax

fail wagon
08-02-12, 01:15
damn that looks good

M4Fundi
08-02-12, 02:51
Nice and thanks.

Because I thought it wouldn't be a problem finding a crows foot wrench and after looking all over the place for one w/no success, this is only a mock up picture. At least until my $4.62 wrench from Amazon arrives.

Now that the NSR has been out for awhile I am curious to know if anyone has used one that is not pinned to the upper and has had any rotation issues.

-Jax

If you ordered the $4.62 Sunnex Crows Foot (either one as I tried both) I hope you have a grinder handy:eek:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_6673.jpg

I did get her done. She needs a front sight and a light and lots of ammo:D
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_6663.jpg

jaxman7
08-02-12, 04:15
If you ordered the $4.62 Sunnex Crows Foot (either one as I tried both) I hope you have a grinder handy:eek:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_6673.jpg

I did get her done. She needs a front sight and a light and lots of ammo:D
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_6663.jpg

Hopefully I won't have that problem. I ordered the 27 mm wrench that Todd suggested. ;) Little off on the price. It was actually $4.86. Just hope it gets here by Saturday so I can get it sighted in then have some fun.

-Jax

M4Fundi
08-02-12, 04:55
The one on the right is the 27mm wrench and its a no go. I hope you have better luck...

jaxman7
08-02-12, 05:15
The one on the right is the 27mm wrench and its a no go. I hope you have better luck...

Well crap. We'll see. Thanks for the heads up. I've got a friend who is a mechanic that can hook me up with the local SnapOn rep so I may have to go that route.
It looks to me in your pic that the 27mm is narrower than the one on the left. It won't go on the barrel nut flats will it?

-Jax

Brahmzy
08-02-12, 09:55
Folks the wrench debacle was all covered at length, earlier in the thread. I specifically tried to save folks from making the same mistake I did with the Sunnex wrench.

Great pics on the rail covers. All I'm after is a handstop and a heatguard - I'm not trying to cover the whole rail in panels - I hope I can get the combination close between 2 sets.

acs82
08-02-12, 10:05
Nice and thanks.

Looking forward to the KeyMod mounts for the Scout light. The MOE panels do mount nicely though. There is a channel on the inside that locks the MOE backing plate in perfectly.

-Jax

i have about 600 rounds through mine without any rotating issues, the only issue i have is around 100 round mark it gets to hot to hold so you will need to wear a glove, i just ordered the rail panels so i hope they will help.

chapperjoe
08-02-12, 10:06
I got to try one of these out at Boresight Solutions - the shape is PHENOMENAL.

I've never seen a closer fit on the lower section, it is really great.

Brahmzy
08-02-12, 10:17
I am VERY glad Noveske decided to sell these rails a la carte. They very easily could have kept them exclusive to their uppers and full rifles. They were pretty stingy on their SWS N4/N6 rails, lol.

These things fixed all of the shortcomings of the TROY TRX-Es/Alphas, for me and changed the game for tubular rails in size, strength and weight. Good stuff.

M4Fundi
08-02-12, 16:28
Folks the wrench debacle was all covered at length, earlier in the thread. I specifically tried to save folks from making the same mistake I did with the Sunnex wrench.

Great pics on the rail covers. All I'm after is a handstop and a heatguard - I'm not trying to cover the whole rail in panels - I hope I can get the combination close between 2 sets.

While it was covered at length it was not settled as the last word & correction to your mistakes from Todd K. was this at post#562

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerr

http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-SUN97327...27+mm+crowfoot

...and that item Todd linked to I also did buy and it does NOT work and people need to know that the part is questionable. Maybe they just sent me the wrong one and maybe the ".5" is a typo which is what I think and they are all too wide...

WillHines
08-02-12, 16:31
A warning to anyone contemplating buying an NSR from Midway. Mine arrived today. Packed well, looks great, love the handguard. I didn't realize until I started the install that it would help if Midway included the correct barrel nut.

Hint: Not this one:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z401/Will_Hines/barrelnut.jpg

Noveske, of course, fixed the problem.

Edit: Whoops, should'nt have skipped that last page.

M4Fundi
08-02-12, 16:35
Call Noveske right now they are open and they will take care of you and you might ask if there is a place they recommend getting the CrowsFoot Wrench;)

WillHines
08-02-12, 16:53
Call Noveske right now they are open and they will take care of you and you might ask if there is a place they recommend getting the CrowsFoot Wrench;)

Yeah, spoke to them before I posted.

I just called back about the crows foot, though, and the lady I talked to thought it was a pretty common part. I told her that none of the chain stores or auto parts stores around here had them and that guys were grinding down smaller wrenches to work around it. This seemed to be news to them, but she talked to someone and said that an adjustable wrench would work, presumably torquing by feel.

Brahmzy
08-02-12, 16:56
While it was covered at length it was not settled as the last word & correction to your mistakes from Todd K. was this at post#562

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerr

http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-SUN97327...27+mm+crowfoot

...and that item Todd linked to I also did buy and it does NOT work and people need to know that the part is questionable. Maybe they just sent me the wrong one and maybe the ".5" is a typo which is what I think and they are all too wide...

It was settled for myself and Grant. We bought the Snap-On wrenches and posted that they work perfectly. Beyond that, I don't know what else to say. I posted that the Sunex was too wide, yet people still bought Sunex wrenches. Which was my original point. :confused:

So moral of the story - don't buy a Sunex Crowfoot for the NSR barrel nut.

Oh and don't buy your NSR rail from Midway. :p

bp7178
08-02-12, 17:52
A warning to anyone contemplating buying an NSR from Midway. Mine arrived today. Packed well, looks great, love the handguard. I didn't realize until I started the install that it would help if Midway included the correct barrel nut.

Hint: Not this one:

Noveske, of course, fixed the problem.

Edit: Whoops, should'nt have skipped that last page.

How was that a Midway problem?

Brahmzy
08-02-12, 18:15
So I just got my packages of NSR covers. Hmmmm. They're a little different than what I was expecting. I notice on the molded rear handstop piece, the mold is jacked up (I also saw this in the early pictures, but figured it would be fixed by production.) It has a bend in it that is obviously a mishap during the molding or cooling phase of production.

They are definitely not "Magpul Quality." There's quite a bit of mold flashing on a lot of the pieces and MagPul would've never allowed the mold problem out the door. Because of the one-directional inherent design of the KeyMod system, you're kind of limited in your options on what to put what piece where.

I think it'll work (it'll have to, lol) but like a previous poster said, it looks like you better be darn sure where you want them before you snap them in place, cause I don't think they're coming off without removing the rail or marring the piss out of the rail and the plastic pieces.

WillHines
08-02-12, 18:21
How was that a Midway problem?

It probably wasn't. I posted that after getting off the phone with both Midway and Noveske. I was under the initial impression that this was a case of Midway repackaging items like they do with reloading components. I don't think that's what happened here.

SteveL
08-02-12, 20:43
Just a heads up the FDE and foliage green panels are up for sale now.

bzdog
08-02-12, 21:49
it looks like you better be darn sure where you want them before you snap them in place, cause I don't think they're coming off without removing the rail or marring the piss out of the rail and the plastic pieces.

It is doable, but a bit of a pain. I've moved mine around a little bit. You can get a flat blade screwdriver under the locking part w/o touching the rail, lift and push the part out of the locked position.

But you are right. The better you plan, the less pain.

Oh, also note to place a QD in the front most position (see my pics), you need to file off the little lip, otherwise it won't sit flush.

-john

Palmettokrawler
08-02-12, 23:22
Just a heads up the FDE and foliage green panels are up for sale now.

Steve thanks for the heads up. Ordering my FDE panels now!

Todd.K
08-03-12, 09:28
It is doable, but a bit of a pain. I've moved mine around a little bit. You can get a flat blade screwdriver under the locking part w/o touching the rail, lift and push the part out of the locked position.

It is designed to be unlocked by the rim of a cartridge. Plastic dummy rounds work as well.

TomV
08-03-12, 09:40
It is designed to be unlocked by the rim of a cartridge. Plastic dummy rounds work as well.

I tried the dummy round, but I had better luck with a flat blade screwdriver. Also needed the screwdriver to pry between panels to get them to remove.

I would like to see a "softer" plastic and maybe had a sponge type outer layer. Maybe if this style really starts to catch on we will see different styles.

I'll not going to order the panels for my other rail yet since I still need to decide on a scope for it. Maybe by that time something else will come along.

But overall I'm happy with the rail and panels. I wanted something slimmer and this met that need.

C4IGrant
08-03-12, 09:57
Love the NSR rail! Pics of my new Varmint rig: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1361578#post1361578

C4

banjo
08-03-12, 14:11
I've been looking very closely at the NSR. I already have two noveske uppers: Noveske SPR VIS and a 16 recce with the SWS rail and i'm really happy with them.

I'd like to get another upper with noveske's skinny 14.5" CHF barrel & the NSR 13.5". Something as lightweight as possible. Who would you guys recommend to put something like that together for me? Thank-you!

TomV
08-03-12, 14:21
I'd like to get another upper with noveske's skinny 14.5" CHF barrel & the NSR 13.5". Something as lightweight as possible. Who would you guys recommend to put something like that together for me? Thank-you!

Here (http://www.rogtac.com/upper-parts/complete-upper-assemblies/14-5-uppers/noveske-14-5-upper-13-5-nsr-rail-battlecomp-1-5-pinned.html) is one option, but it is currently out of stock.

banjo
08-03-12, 14:27
Here (http://www.rogtac.com/upper-parts/complete-upper-assemblies/14-5-uppers/noveske-14-5-upper-13-5-nsr-rail-battlecomp-1-5-pinned.html) is one option, but it is currently out of stock.

Thank-you, I did see that one. But i'm looking for the skinny profile 14.5 CHF barrel and a pinned AAC non-mount blackout.

jaxman7
08-03-12, 15:03
Love the NSR rail! Pics of my new Varmint rig: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1361578#post1361578

C4

Just HAD to come in here and show everyone else up didn't you! ;)

-Jax

Ironman8
08-03-12, 15:09
So when does the .308 NSR come out? :p

And I'm talking about the whole rifle ;)

Brahmzy
08-03-12, 15:48
So when does the .308 NSR come out? :p

^THIS^

I've got a REAL BAD need for a .308 NSR rail. I've been wanting to drop my TRX-E 308 rail for a long time now - just isn't a strong enough design on a .308 gun. I don't want an entire N6 rifle, I just need a "tall" SR25/DPMS pattern with SR25/DPMS pattern barrel nut.

Please, please, please!

bzdog
08-04-12, 10:01
We bought the Snap-On wrenches and posted that they work perfectly.

Do you have a part number for that wrench?

Thanks,

-john

Brahmzy
08-04-12, 10:14
Snap-on Crowfoot 1/2" Drive 1-1/16 HERE (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=632436&PartNo=SCO34&group_id=674923&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all)

Snap-on Crowfoot 3/8" Drive 1-1/16 HERE (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=643985&group_ID=674856&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog)

bzdog
08-04-12, 10:18
Thanks!

-john

ROG Tactical
08-04-12, 11:05
Thank-you, I did see that one. But i'm looking for the skinny profile 14.5 CHF barrel and a pinned AAC non-mount blackout.

I am not 100% positive, but some suppressors may not fit with a 13.5" NSR on the 14.5" barrel. The ones on my site with the 51T Blackout were originally special orders. A 14.7" barrel would probably be a better length with the 13.5" NSR.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

kwelz
08-04-12, 13:16
I am not 100% positive, but some suppressors may not fit with a 13.5" NSR on the 14.5" barrel. The ones on my site with the 51T Blackout were originally special orders. A 14.7" barrel would probably be a better length with the 13.5" NSR.

I know for a fact that a M4-2000 and a Surefire 556 will both work.

banjo
08-04-12, 14:29

Don't really see a sound suppressor/silencer in my near future. Therefore I'd like to opt for the non-mount blackout FH. The non-mount is also a bit lighter than the 51t. I'm basically looking for this (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r-trsc-556&cat=152&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=) but only the upper with a 13.5 NSR and a regular MUR receiver.

TRUST8383
08-06-12, 14:53
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/47c696d3.jpg

Man, the hand stops were a pain to get in. I ended up doing a little filing to get them to go in. I only ordered 2 packs. Should have got 4. :P
I'll probably stipple the bottom set for more grip.

skeebinz
08-06-12, 19:00
Just got a set of the NSR rail panels to try out today. I had a very hard time getting them on. I was forced to file down the slits inside the keymod lug to finally get them to slide in. I don't see how they can go in unless they get filed down. Once they were on, they were nice...but the process of putting them on kind of put me off. In my opinion, I shouldn't have to file them down so much just to get them on.

Todd.K
08-06-12, 20:59
The NSR panels are designed to be a tight fit, so they won't come off under hard use or be able to move around.

It does require some effort to install or remove. The key is pushing the panel down while sliding them.

SFCRoOKs415
08-06-12, 21:38
what kind of hardware is used on the attachments? Can we purchase just the hardware?

og556
08-07-12, 14:06
I cannot for the life of me get these panels installed on this rail. What did you guys file down to make them fit ?

skeebinz
08-07-12, 14:08
The little slits on each side of the lug on the underside of the panel.

og556
08-07-12, 14:16
I tried shaving those down but no success. I think the issue is the little lug right behind the keymod is too wide to go into the slot.

I tried pushing up and then forward and the keymod part goes forward but the little lug behind it is preventing it from locking in.

jaxman7
08-07-12, 15:31
FYI,

If anyone wants to cut the one piece 7 section panel down shorter here is a tip. Take something similar to a dental pick and drag it relatively hard on the seam between the panels you want apart. I did this about 15 times on the backside only.
Next place that same area over the edge of something like a table and press down on both ends. It breaks very cleanly.

-Jax

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-08-06_20-40-03_630.jpg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-08-06_20-42-07_315.jpg

SSGGlock
08-07-12, 18:36
Got my panels today, two sets. They went on with a little effort, but no sanding or filing. Glad I ordered two, I don't see how you could do much with one set. They are really nice.

Todd.K
08-09-12, 09:57
what kind of hardware is used on the attachments? Can we purchase just the hardware?

Like the screws? They are a #8-32x3/8 100 deg flat head, T15 drive.

The screw is staked on the end when it is assembled. They do not come apart to install, so you will not loose any or need spares.

yhmspecter
08-09-12, 16:00
I got my NSR panels today, and I can see how some people could have an issue, But as Todd says press down as you push the panel forward..

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0506.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0507.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0508.jpg

jaxman7
08-09-12, 16:13
Yhmspecter,

Nice looking setup. Got a pic with the rest of the rifle?

-Jax

yhmspecter
08-09-12, 17:07
I do
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0513.jpg
I cant figure out how to flip the picture
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0515.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0514.jpg

jaxman7
08-09-12, 17:28
Nice and thanks. That's a heck of a forward mounting position for the optic! How is the balance with the barrel profile,/length, nsr, m300, and ACS in the rear?

-Jax

Quiet Riot
08-10-12, 04:58
I got my NSR panels today, and I can see how some people could have an issue, But as Todd says press down as you push the panel forward..

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/nh05crxsi/IMAG0506.jpg

Any reason why you have the locking panel in the front of this stack instead of the back?

yhmspecter
08-10-12, 08:58
Nice and thanks. That's a heck of a forward mounting position for the optic! How is the balance with the barrel profile,/length, nsr, m300, and ACS in the rear?

-Jax

So far it feels great, its the ACS-L, I wanted more cheek weld then the CTR offers but didn't want the batt tubes..But its deff going to be front heavy once I get the stamp back for the can..I plan to move the T1 back next range trip, The LAV mentioned that to me, said its never good to have the optic bridging the gap from the receiver and rail.

yhmspecter
08-10-12, 09:02
Any reason why you have the locking panel in the front of this stack instead of the back?

I wasn't paying attention, then when I realized it my thumbs were quite sore from the fight to mount them, I will be fixing them once I get home from work tonight!

SteveL
08-14-12, 16:32
Double post.

SteveL
08-14-12, 16:33
In case anyone cares, my FDE panels came in today. Here you can see how the color compares to Magpul and Vltor FDE. As far as installation and removal goes:

Long, locking pieces: Easy to put on, not too bad to take off.
Short, non-locking pieces: Easy on, easy off.
Locking pieces with handstop: The Pope would cuss trying to install them.

And yes I pulled them back from the very end on purpose.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/DSC03878-1.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/DSC03879-1.jpg

Overall I'm happy with them, but I'll be glad when someone produces a stubby VFG and I'm also anxiously awaiting the Scout light mount.

Brahmzy
08-18-12, 13:07
Todd, I know it's probably not goin to happen without an accompanying (new) N6 platform, but is there any possible way you guys could whip up some 308 NSRs real quick? :)

Cold
08-19-12, 13:44
In case anyone cares, my FDE panels came in today. Here you can see how the color compares to Magpul and Vltor FDE. As far as installation and removal goes:

Long, locking pieces: Easy to put on, not too bad to take off.
Short, non-locking pieces: Easy on, easy off.
Locking pieces with handstop: The Pope would cuss trying to install them.

And yes I pulled them back from the very end on purpose.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/DSC03878-1.jpg

Nice rig. Liking the layout.
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/DSC03879-1.jpg

Overall I'm happy with them, but I'll be glad when someone produces a stubby VFG and I'm also anxiously awaiting the Scout light mount.

Nice build, looks really well thoughtout.

og556
08-19-12, 15:28
I found that heating up the panels a little with a hair dryer makes it much easier to install them.

After installing them I have to say these panels are great.

Any word on a VFG or the heat shield ?

SteveL
08-19-12, 15:51
Nice build, looks really well thoughtout.

Thank you. It's undergone some "renovations," but I'm really happy with it.

Amur
08-24-12, 07:16
How many handguard panel sets should I purchase to do TWO rifles 4 or 5?

Also, Todd or noveske, any idea when the 5 slit keymods will be back in stock?

Thanks,
Alex

hydro556
08-26-12, 15:38
I recently received my Noveske 8.2" 300Blk with 7" NSR rail. I havent spent a lot of time trying, but the little panels do seem to be a bitch to install. I am going to try and heat them up a little and see if it helps, but to be honest, I am not sure I really even need them. I will likely get a 5 slot NSR rail section for a stubby VFG and that is all I will attach to the rail. Here are a couple pictures. I havent seen another 8.2"upper with 7" NSR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/2012-08-2601-23-18.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/2012-08-2601-22-33.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/2012-08-2601-20-21.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/2012-08-2601-18-04.jpg

Korgs130
08-26-12, 16:23
Nice upper!

TacticalTyler
08-26-12, 19:25
I should post up a video or something. You dont need to heat the nsr rail covers up, or use some lube or anything else. You guys are giving up too easy.
Just a flat head screw driver and a little downward/forward pressure. They slide right on. Put the flat head part of the screwdriver in the little T slot that locks the panels in. Use the screw driver as a levrage to push the panel forward while you push down on the panel with your other hand.

hydro556
08-26-12, 19:29
I should post up a video or something. You dont need to heat the nsr rail covers up, or use some lube or anything else. You guys are giving up too easy.
Just a flat head screw driver and a little downward/forward pressure. They slide right on. Put the flat head part of the screwdriver in the little T slot that locks the panels in. Use the screw driver as a levrage to push the panel forward while you push down on the panel with your other hand.

Excellent. I had only tried for a second, and by hand only, no tools.

I will try it this way.

jaxman7
08-26-12, 20:28
And everyone complaining about the hand stop being hard to install (including myself) there is an easy way to install it. Grab something small,hard, and right angled. Block of wood, a hardback book, or something similar. I actually used a dip can. Place the object behind the handstop and push forward and down. Snaps in quite easily.

-Jax

hydro556
08-26-12, 21:17
And everyone complaining about the hand stop being hard to install (including myself) there is an easy way to install it. Grab something small,hard, and right angled. Block of wood, a hardback book, or something similar. I actually used a dip can. Place the object behind the handstop and push forward and down. Snaps in quite easily.

-Jax

OK. I guess I am a bit thick. I tried multiple ways and am not having much with these things. Need to figure this out by the time I get my rail sections because then I will NEED this to work.

Hopefully Noveske can improve the design making them a bit easier to install, because right now, they require too much effort in my opinion.

Or at least put out a video (if there isnt one already. I know I havent seen one) that shows the trick to get them in easy.

I still love the rail, just need some training, lol.

SSGGlock
08-26-12, 21:28
OK. I guess I am a bit thick. I tried multiple ways and am not having much with these things. Need to figure this out by the time I get my rail sections because then I will NEED this to work.

Hopefully Noveske can improve the design making them a bit easier to install, because right now, they require too much effort in my opinion.

Or at least put out a video (if there isnt one already. I know I havent seen one) that shows the trick to get them in easy.

Just squeeze the section in and push forward a bit, it will snap in.

CDR_Glock
08-26-12, 21:42

I feel the same way.

SteveL
08-26-12, 23:25

-Jax

This is what I ended up doing, but IMO it was still a huge PITA.

TacticalTyler
08-27-12, 18:11
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc207/LevinLove/004.jpg
like I said, I didnt have a problem. Flat head screw driver and forward/downward momentum

JC0352
08-28-12, 20:11
I've searched high and low, with no success... Anybody have a photo of an 11" NSR on a 16" middy?

Cold
08-28-12, 22:54
Noveske Shooting Team Edition 16.7" NSR with 18" Noveske SS barrel with NST profile on a MUR and topped off with a SureFire MB556k....beautiful.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1916/imagespa.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3410/image3dd.jpg

M4Fundi
08-28-12, 23:18
Outstanding! I will have one of those by the end of the year! I might even be able to see my front sight with that rail:p

civilsnake
08-30-12, 11:57
Here's a 13.5 with a 16" DD lightweight and pointy little RMC up front.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/civsnake/4FD80855-D89E-4502-941C-7253F4310D23-9616-00000B8FD56947DB.jpg

I have noticed that the dimensional differences DO make getting things on the top rail a PITA. The Larue mount wouldn't attach with any normal amount of pressure so I didn't force it. A Streamlight TLR1 off of a pistol would mount but just barely it seemed.

acs82
08-30-12, 13:57
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=572&pictureid=2813

M4Fundi
08-30-12, 14:08
Noveske Shooting Team Edition 16.7" NSR with 18" Noveske SS barrel with NST profile on a MUR and topped off with a SureFire MB556k....beautiful.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1916/imagespa.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3410/image3dd.jpg

When do we get to see one built and in action?;)

Cold
08-30-12, 15:18
There is some NSR action here:

http://youtu.be/Fiv5qDZOCCQ

M4Fundi
08-30-12, 19:00

Cold.....WoooHoooo... that was fun! That is one of the best directed,shot and EDITED shooting trailers I have ever seen! Tell your production company well done!

You are gonna have to tell me about the FAL;)

Are those new NST uppers rifle length or intermediate length gas sstm?

banjo
09-01-12, 12:53
I sent up my noveske spr-vis upper to Noveske. Having them swap the VIS out for a 13.5" NSR. I'm anxious to get it back, I think that swap will take off around 12oz of weight!

jaxman7
09-01-12, 18:58
Here's a 13.5 with a 16" DD lightweight and pointy little RMC up front.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/civsnake/4FD80855-D89E-4502-941C-7253F4310D23-9616-00000B8FD56947DB.jpg

I have noticed that the dimensional differences DO make getting things on the top rail a PITA. The Larue mount wouldn't attach with any normal amount of pressure so I didn't force it. A TLR1 off of a pistol would mount but just barely it seemed.

Civilsnake,
Not trying to sound like a smarta$$ but you know that you can adjust the tension screw on the LaRue mount and it'll fit just fine right?

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-09-01_16-12-19_812.jpg

This was previously on a Centurion Arms rail and I had to back off the nut a 1/2-3/4 turn to get it to fit on the NSR.

Patiently waiting for the Scout mount. ;)

-Jax

civilsnake
09-04-12, 10:21
Civilsnake,
Not trying to sound like a smarta$$ but you know that you can adjust the tension screw on the LaRue mount and it'll fit just fine right?

-Jax

No harm, I wasn't totally clear. Yes I'm aware it's adjustable, I was just using the mount as it was currently set up to check the differences between the rail dimensions. I didn't bother adjusting because I don't intend to mount a CompM3 on the NSR.

jaxman7
09-04-12, 14:21
Copy that civilsnake. Thanks for the reply.

In case anyone is curious I took my laser thermometer with me to the range. First shot is cold, before any firing. The second reading is approx. 45 seconds after a drill that lasted about 7 minutes and involved 84 rounds. I had Mechanix gloves on (plus the NSR panels and the tape switch) and didn't even notice it.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-09-04_11-35-45_800-1.jpg

Apologies for the blurry shot. I was a little out of breath.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-09-04_13-43-15_451-1.jpg

SteveL
09-04-12, 20:01
Copy that civilsnake. Thanks for the reply.

In case anyone is curious I took my laser thermometer with me to the range. First shot is cold, before any firing. The second reading is approx. 45 seconds after a drill that lasted about 7 minutes and involved 84 rounds. I had Mechanix gloves on (plus the NSR panels and the tape switch) and didn't even notice it.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-09-04_11-35-45_800-1.jpg

Apologies for the blurry shot. I was a little out of breath.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-09-04_13-43-15_451-1.jpg

Was there any difference at all in the temp of the rail itself and the polymer panels after the drill?

jaxman7
09-05-12, 18:36
Steve ,

No. My dumb butt didn't think about it while I was taking the pics. By the time I did I was almost out of ammo for the day.

-Jax

TACAV
09-07-12, 19:13
Sorry if I missed it somewhere in here, but does anyone know if the upcoming NSR Scout mount will be a one piece, mount the light directly to the rail via key mod system or will I have to buy another rail section to attach the scout mount too?

jaxman7
09-07-12, 19:53
Sorry if I missed it somewhere in here, but does anyone know if the upcoming NSR Scout mount will be a one piece, mount the light directly to the rail via key mod system or will I have to buy another rail section to attach the scout mount too?

Not trying to step over Todd K's shoes but I seriously doubt it'll be a rail mount system. That would negate the intention of the KeyMod system. Why not just buy a Thorntail, LaRue LT752, or Gear Sector mount if that's the case. Looking forward to what Noveske comes up with. I am curious if this mount can be used at the popular 11 or 1 o'clock position. There isn't much breathing room to mount it there directly to the handguard with the top rail getting in the way. Curious how they're going to do this.

-Jax

SteveL
09-07-12, 21:19
Steve ,

No. My dumb butt didn't think about it while I was taking the pics. By the time I did I was almost out of ammo for the day.

-Jax

No problem.

Not trying to step over Todd K's shoes but I seriously doubt it'll be a rail mount system. That would negate the intention of the KeyMod system. Why not just buy a Thorntail, LaRue LT752, or Gear Sector mount if that's the case. Looking forward to what Noveske comes up with. I am curious if this mount can be used at the popular 11 or 1 o'clock position. There isn't much breathing room to mount it there directly to the handguard with the top rail getting in the way. Curious how they're going to do this.

-Jax

I'm very anxious to see this as well. My Scout light is currently sitting in my safe awaiting a new mount. I've also read that Impact Weapon Components is working on light mounts for the NSR rail so I'm curious to see what they offer as well.

Stickman
09-08-12, 14:07

Outstanding!

nickdrak
09-08-12, 16:53
Now that I finally had the opportunity to handle one that Krebs had at a local LE expo I attended the other day, I fully plan to order a 13.5" NSR to replace my 15" VTAC Alpha rail.

jaxman7
09-08-12, 17:01
Now that I finally had the opportunity to handle one that Krebs had at a local LE expo I attended the other day, I fully plan to order a 13.5" NSR to replace my 15" VTAC Alpha rail.

Well good grief it's about time you got one Mr. NSR thread starter! ;)

-Jax

nickdrak
09-10-12, 11:23
13.5" ordered!

nickdrak
09-10-12, 12:37
Dumb phone! (Dbl tap)

Todd.K
09-10-12, 12:58

It will attach with the KeyMod.

doriwoogie
09-10-12, 13:02
Todd K and company, not sure if I missed it, but what is the inside diameter? I'm curious if certain suppressors will fit under the NSR...

militarymoron
09-10-12, 14:11
i measured the inside width to be about 1.325". i'm really liking this rail so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/nsr1.jpg

TACAV
09-10-12, 14:25
It will attach with the KeyMod.

Thanks for the confirmation, cant wait for it to be released.

doriwoogie
09-10-12, 18:35
Thanks! And nice pic too.
i measured the inside width to be about 1.325". i'm really liking this rail so far.

Jaykayyy
09-10-12, 18:45

Nice upper. looks close to what I want to build next.. would you mind to share some of its specs?

militarymoron
09-10-12, 22:21
it's a vltor MUR receiver with a 13.5 NSR handguard, an old M4 barrel i had on which i shaved the front sight and bayonet lug off, and a griffin flash comp. the BUIS are HK MP7 sights that i took off another upper. I mounted the front sight above the location of the gas block to provide room for my hand up front and space for 12 o'clock mounting of a light. oh, and a AXTS raptor charging handle since i'm a lefty.

Koshinn
09-11-12, 01:34
it's a vltor MUR receiver with a 13.5 NSR handguard, an old M4 barrel i had on which i shaved the front sight and bayonet lug off, and a griffin flash comp. the BUIS are HK MP7 sights that i took off another upper. I mounted the front sight above the location of the gas block to provide room for my hand up front and space for 12 o'clock mounting of a light. oh, and a AXTS raptor charging handle since i'm a lefty.

Interesting sight location. Can't say I've ever seen someone do that before, but it makes sense. Sacrifice sight radius that is rarely, if ever, needed, to get a better grip that is always used.

militarymoron
09-11-12, 08:30
Interesting sight location. Can't say I've ever seen someone do that before, but it makes sense. Sacrifice sight radius that is rarely, if ever, needed, to get a better grip that is always used.

i kept it pretty much the same sight radius as on a standard carbine. also, putting the front sight further forward wouldn't work as well because of the large rear sight aperture. at this location, i get the correct sight picture.

TACAV
09-11-12, 11:19
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/TACAV/NSR.jpg

I love my rail! Noveske really hit it out of the park on this one. Lightweight and strong. All I need now is the aforementioned NSR Scout Mount to replace that forward rail section so I can stick my light on there.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/TACAV/BCM.jpg

HaydenB
09-11-12, 12:06
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/TACAV/NSR.jpg

I love my rail! Noveske really hit it out of the park on this one. Lightweight and strong. All I need now is the aforementioned NSR Scout Mount to replace that forward rail section so I can stick my light on there.
Nice! Where is the full rifle pic though? And the spec list!? :p

TACAV
09-11-12, 12:30
Nice! Where is the full rifle pic though? And the spec list!? :p

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/TACAV/BCM1.jpg

Thanks! I just finished it this week.

BCM lower and BHF 16" Middy upper (Dimpling done by Marvin Pitts)
BCM grip
13.5" NSR rail
NSR QD socket mount and rail panels
Geissele SD3G trigger
Battlecomp 1.0
BAD 45 Degree Short throw Ambi Safety
Troy sights
2 MOA Aimpoint T-1 in Larue tall mount

Just waiting for the NSR scout mount for a Surefire M600C with an SR07 switch at the 12 o clock.

I think that the NSR rail is a huge improvement over my old Troy Gen 1 Alpha Rail.

SteveL
09-11-12, 16:16
Regarding the Scout light mount, I've seen it posted that Noveske is working on one, and I've also seen it posted that IWC is working on one. Is this a joint effort between Noveske and IWC, or is each company working on their own version individually?

Stickman
09-11-12, 17:06

Pretty common for guys running flashlights at 12:00 as well.

Koshinn
09-11-12, 18:42
Pretty common for guys running flashlights at 12:00 as well.

I've only ever seen the flashlight as far forward as possible on the 12 o'clock rail and a BUIS/fixed front sight directly behind it. Never like, a gap between the buis/fixed front sight and the light to place your thumb.

SFCRoOKs415
09-12-12, 00:41
Like the screws? They are a #8-32x3/8 100 deg flat head, T15 drive.

The screw is staked on the end when it is assembled. They do not come apart to install, so you will not loose any or need spares.

Thanks for the reply Todd!
Whats used as the Nut? and is it possible to sale me just that piece? I need 21 pcs...Thank you!

Todd.K
09-12-12, 13:15
You can see the nuts here:
http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1355236&postcount=1

I don't know that we plan to sell them individually, but you can call sales and ask.

banjo
09-12-12, 18:38
I sent up my Noveske SPR to get the VIS swapped out for the NSR 13.5 & MUR.
It came back yesterday.
Very noticable weight difference. I'm really happy.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h347/banjo-doc/DSC_5858.jpg
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h347/banjo-doc/DSC_5859.jpg
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h347/banjo-doc/DSC_5860.jpg
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h347/banjo-doc/DSC_5864.jpg

og556
09-12-12, 22:34
Any word on when the heat shield is dropping ?

ruf
09-13-12, 02:38
Finally! Here's my 13.5" NSR. Time to break out the krylon...

http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13540&d=1347521838

jaxman7
09-13-12, 18:58

Man after my own heart!....no homo....NSR'd, spray painted (verdict is still out on the paint though), Redi-Mod'ed' AR. :D

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-09-10_18-37-28_832.jpg

-Jax

SteveL
09-20-12, 16:17
Regarding the Scout light mount, I've seen it posted that Noveske is working on one, and I've also seen it posted that IWC is working on one. Is this a joint effort between Noveske and IWC, or is each company working on their own version individually?

Still curious about this.

Koshinn
09-20-12, 16:25

Is that the new T-1 cover coming out, something like the "IO"?

Todd.K
09-20-12, 16:52
Still curious about this.
Our light mount is not is not being made with any other company.

SteveL
09-20-12, 17:13
Our light mount is not is not being made with any other company.

Thank you.

nickdrak
09-20-12, 22:51
Here she is....

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/3844/nsr135.jpg

Noveske FFL lower, Noveske upper receiver, Noveske 16" Lightweight/Mid-length SS barrel, and the newly added Noveske NSR 13.5" All purchased separately and built up by me.

Took it out yesterday and today to shoot some drills. It feels noticeably lighter and less nose heavy than the 15" VTAC Alpha that the NSR replaced. I am very happy with NSR.

A little Noveske action from todays training session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-v6rWGAzT8&feature=g-upl
Target was an 8" steel plate. First engagement was @ 50yds and then the second was at 180yds from the elevate position.

SteveL
09-20-12, 22:56
Here she is....

Noveske FFL lower, Noveske upper receiver, Noveske 16" Lightweight/Mid-length SS barrel, and the newly added Noveske NSR 13.5" All purchased separately and built up by me.

Took it out yesterday and today to shoot some drills. It feels noticeably lighter and less nose heavy than the 15" VTAC Alpha that the NSR replaced. I am very happy with NSR.

Nick how do you have your light mounted?

nickdrak
09-20-12, 23:05
Nick how do you have your light mounted?

Steve,

It's on one of the IWC "Radial" Scout mounts. I added a couple of washers on the bottom side of the mount so it sits level on the rail.

SteveL
09-20-12, 23:07
Steve,

It's on one of the IWC "Radial" Scout mounts. I added a couple of washers on the bottom side of the mount so it sits level on the rail.

Thanks for the response. Is this a permanent solution for you, or are you only doing this until the NSR specific mounts hit the market?

Great looking rifle by the way.

nickdrak
09-20-12, 23:20
Thanks for the response. Is this a permanent solution for you, or are you only doing this until the NSR specific mounts hit the market?

Great looking rifle by the way.

It's a carryover from the VTAC Alpha rail, but it works and it's solid. I will likely get one of the new IWC key mod mounts down the road but for now I have no concerns with this one.

M4Fundi
09-21-12, 00:42
Looks GREAT!

Is this a work rifle or 3Gun rifle?

Just watched the video..... nice shooting!

ALCOAR
09-21-12, 01:07
Great video Nick....and that drill looks like a ton of fun!! You guys should push the second stage way out (500-600yds) just to see for a run or two:)

What SD trigger you running?....both a SD-C or E really shines on that config.

nickdrak
09-21-12, 01:28
Thanks guys. We had fun today:D

M4F,
That is my work AR.

Trident,
Im running the SD-C.

M4Fundi
09-21-12, 03:30
I was asking as it had a light and yet I am looking at almost exactly that setup for my 3Gun rifle build and can't decide if the 18" bb is worth it for me or I should stick with a 16".

Chicago and they let you build your own:D You really must have to smile when you get to take "exactly" the perfect rifle for "you" to work everyday. Congrats and keep the videos coming!

calvin118
09-21-12, 18:03
Does anyone know how much the panels weigh? I have looked but cannot find the answer.

jaxman7
09-21-12, 18:47
Does anyone know how much the panels weigh? I have looked but cannot find the answer.

No idea what they weigh but they're so light it never crosses my mind. They are so much lighter than say a KAC or XTM panel.

nickdrak,

That is a great setup you have there. On the 180 yd shot good job. You picked up and rang that steel quick!

-Jax

SFCRoOKs415
09-22-12, 02:07
Fresh out of a 10 day Jail sentence

Noveske NSR 6.8SPC

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/sidewayzz28/CCA86B48-7207-4FF8-A802-59B001B1D886-2588-000001E4A4BA1B6F_zps8784ed6d.jpg

Stickman
09-22-12, 19:53
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%207/STCK2902-1200-Stick.jpg

jaxman7
09-25-12, 13:46
SteveL,

This one is for you b/c I forgot to do it.last time I took the laser thermometer out to the range. The handguard hovered right around 175 and here is the temp I took off the panels:

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/2012-09-25_13-21-56_462.jpg

-Jax

SteveL
09-25-12, 15:00
SteveL,

This one is for you b/c I forgot to do it.last time I took the laser thermometer out to the range. The handguard hovered right around 175 and here is the temp I took off the panels:

-Jax

Interesting results, and thank you very much for taking the time to do that. It's much appreciated.

Amur
09-25-12, 15:42
For my reference anyone want to put an estimate on at what degrees it becomes uncomfortable to hold?

Thanks,
Alex

jaxman7
09-25-12, 15:46
Well it's not @ 136 degrees with gloves on. ;)

-Jax

jaxman7
09-25-12, 15:47
Interesting results, and thank you very much for taking the time to do that. It's much appreciated.

You're welcome man.

-Jax

Forgot to add that was about 1 minute after 2 mag dumps and multiple drills of 2-5 rounds before that. I guarantee the handguards were hotter before I measured it. Not a complaint. I could care less with the gloves and panels but interesting info.

SteveL
09-25-12, 17:09
You're welcome man.

-Jax

Forgot to add that was about 1 minute after 2 mag dumps and multiple drills of 2-5 rounds before that. I guarantee the handguards were hotter before I measured it. Not a complaint. I could care less with the gloves and panels but interesting info.

Sounds like you gave it a good warm-up before taking measurements. Even if it had cooled some it's still showing a ~40° difference. I prefer shooting with gloves myself, but I also like knowing I can get by without them if necessary.

bleaman225
09-28-12, 01:02

Whatfer handstop is that?

SFCRoOKs415
09-28-12, 10:03
Whatfer handstop is that?

Looks like a Larue

bleaman225
09-28-12, 11:07
Looks like a Larue

It does, thanks.

And since this is kind of becoming a pic tread...

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/benleaman/Permanent/IMG_0994.jpg

Dsully
09-28-12, 11:35
I got twins. Top is a middy and bottom is carbine

http://walkingheavy.com/arbuild/twins.jpg

SteveL
09-28-12, 18:37
For anyone interested, I recently sent emails to Magpul and TangoDown asking if they had any intentions on producing a VFG for the NSR. I have yet to hear back from Magpul, but I got a response from TangoDown. The news isn't good. They said that it will have to prove itself in the market first, and that if it sells well enough then they would look at developing a product line for it.

sadmin
09-28-12, 18:45
I would interpret that as good news- the combo of the NSR with the MUR makes for the most bombproof of the slick handguards. Given the popularity of this style, I don't think you have anything to worry about, just time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk; coherency may be in jeopardy.

nickdrak
09-28-12, 19:48
It does, thanks.

And since this is kind of becoming a pic tread...

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/benleaman/Permanent/IMG_0994.jpg

That thing looks slick & light as hell. I dig it;)

bleaman225
09-28-12, 22:24
That thing looks slick & light as hell. I dig it;)

Thanks. I just put it together yesterday. The shape and texturing is great. Thus far... me gusta. Looks like I'll pop it's cherry on Sunday and decide for real.

As it sits in the picture (empty mag) it weighs in at 6lb 10.6oz

Waylander
09-29-12, 16:53
Does anybody know if the Noveske forged stripped uppers, not the MURs, are coming with the hole drilled for the anti-rotation pin for the NSR?

M4Fundi
09-29-12, 17:14
Mine did not... I wish it did, but I am not at all worried about it.

bleaman225
09-29-12, 18:56
Does anybody know if the Noveske forged stripped uppers, not the MURs, are coming with the hole drilled for the anti-rotation pin for the NSR?

If you know someone with a horizontal milling machine, adding that "hole" is a 20 minute job. HMs don't seem too common anymore though, from what I've found anyways.
A vertical mill would take a little bit longer but if you fixture it right, still easy.

Maybe I should do it for a small fee. Have to look into it :D

Waylander
09-29-12, 20:40
If you know someone with a horizontal milling machine, adding that "hole" is a 20 minute job. HMs don't seem too common anymore though, from what I've found anyways.
A vertical mill would take a little bit longer but if you fixture it right, still easy.

Maybe I should do it for a small fee. Have to look into it :D

Yep I have a vertical mill. I'd already thought about it but just a little apprehensive drilling into a new Noveske upper.

You know AR parts seem to be made out of gold these days...when you can find them :)

Biggy
09-29-12, 21:45
I am not the least bit concerned with my NSR's barrel/rail nut coming loose. To those who are concerned about it and for what ever reason don't want to pin it, here might me another option for you. It looks like you could use one of these to straddle the rail and upper receiver and they are both under an ounce in weight. Also, you might have to adjust where you run your RDS or scope mount. Depending on the color the prices vary from $36-$39 .

http://www.gearsector.com/img/product/ab99d26087789601727bdf720136f9b4.jpg

http://www.gearsector.com/img/product/f1983e153cc03a0a94b40632aaff8b90.jpg

Waylander
09-30-12, 00:09
The new IWC sling mount may be a good option to lock it down like that and it would still be functional and low profile.
It would be stronger with two screws but may bring the sling back a little too far for some though.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/45-offset-1913-rail-qd-rotation-limited-sling-mount-n-slot/

Biggy
09-30-12, 00:18
The new IWC sling mount may be a good option to lock it down like that and it would still be functional and low profile.
It would be stronger with two screws but may bring the sling back a little too far for some though.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/45-offset-1913-rail-qd-rotation-limited-sling-mount-n-slot/

Like you said, I think for me it would bring the sling to far back and one screw would be plenty strong.

Waylander
10-01-12, 08:34
I've been told the 4 rail pic section is replacing the 5 rail.
Does anyone know if this is wide enough for an Atlas bipod with the screw clamp and/or the American Defense QD mount?

Dave_M
10-01-12, 20:59
Pics of my setup

11.5" Barrel with a 11" NSR rail (barely fits the HALO and even then only with an VLTOR VC-1 flash suppressor)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/rifle2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/rifle1-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/rifle4.jpg

SteveL
10-05-12, 13:37
For anyone interested, I recently sent emails to Magpul and TangoDown asking if they had any intentions on producing a VFG for the NSR. I have yet to hear back from Magpul, but I got a response from TangoDown. The news isn't good. They said that it will have to prove itself in the market first, and that if it sells well enough then they would look at developing a product line for it.

Following up on this information I heard back from Magpul today. In a nutshell they said they "are not releasing any information on projects that may or may not be in the works." They went on to say to keep an eye on their website for news and updates. So it looks like those of us who'd like to try out a VFG or stubby on our NSR rails are SOL, at least for the time being.

Quiet Riot
10-06-12, 02:17
Following up on this information I heard back from Magpul today. In a nutshell they said they "are not releasing any information on projects that may or may not be in the works." They went on to say to keep an eye on their website for news and updates. So it looks like those of us who'd like to try out a VFG or stubby on our NSR rails are SOL, at least for the time being.

This thread is so damn long as to be difficult to keep track of all of the info it contains...:)

The Magpul RVG mounts directly to the NSR with its supplied low profile rail section, and it is a slick as any NSR-specific VFG will probably be. That said, it is a PIA to install that rail because the nuts aren't captured like on the NSR rail sections.

I found the struggle to be worth the result, however. It is much nicer than using a VFG mounted on an NSR rail section.

The best VFG would incorporate the NSR hardware, but the RFG is a decent option in the meantime.

militarymoron
10-06-12, 12:30
just released my NSR handguard writeup - detailed pics and descriptions:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers5.html#nsr

Stickman
10-06-12, 12:50
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%207/STCK3215-A-1200-Stick.jpg

SteveL
10-06-12, 13:33
This thread is so damn long as to be difficult to keep track of all of the info it contains...:)

The Magpul RVG mounts directly to the NSR with its supplied low profile rail section, and it is a slick as any NSR-specific VFG will probably be. That said, it is a PIA to install that rail because the nuts aren't captured like on the NSR rail sections.

I found the struggle to be worth the result, however. It is much nicer than using a VFG mounted on an NSR rail section.

The best VFG would incorporate the NSR hardware, but the RFG is a decent option in the meantime.

I recall reading somewhere that people were making that particular grip work, but it does defeat the simplicity of the NSR system. I might go that route, but I really hope someone will make a VFG (preferably a stubby) designed specifically for the NSR system sooner or later, and if it would integrate smoothly with the existing handguard pieces then that would be even better.

M4Fundi
10-07-12, 06:44
I can assure you that VLTOR/Noveske would not develop a revolutionary & proprietary rail and not be working on or with those to make all the attachments the market expects. I am just glad they decided to bring us the rail now and not wait for the minutia to be ready before bringing the rail out.

10-09-12, 02:29
Here she is....

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/3844/nsr135.jpg

A little Noveske action from todays training session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-v6rWGAzT8&feature=g-upl
Target was an 8" steel plate. First engagement was @ 50yds and then the second was at 180yds from the elevate position.

How did you mount the Larue hand stop. Nice vid BTW!!!!!

SteveL
10-11-12, 16:31
Any update on the flashlight mounts?

Maybe Todd could tell us a little bit about them. If you have your light mounted to the keymod slots at the 3 o'clock position (for example) where will the light be oriented? 3 o'clock? 1:30? 4:30?

Todd.K
10-11-12, 17:31
The prototypes look good. I don't know when the first batch will be ready to ship yet.

You will be able to mount the light at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, or 10:30.

grunz
10-11-12, 19:01
Does the mount clear the Troy front folding sight if mounted on the side all the way forward?

Are these ring mounts for p2x/g2 lights. Or are they scout mounts?

Pictures?

grunz
10-11-12, 19:10
Here us how I set mine up - gear sector mount for p2x fury on a cutdown magpul moe rail section. I reach over rail and activate light with support hand thumb.

Us yours similar?

SteveL
10-11-12, 23:18
The prototypes look good. I don't know when the first batch will be ready to ship yet.

You will be able to mount the light at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, or 10:30.

Excellent news. Thanks for the update.

Todd.K
10-12-12, 09:02
Does the mount clear the Troy front folding sight if mounted on the side all the way forward?

Are these ring mounts for p2x/g2 lights. Or are they scout mounts?

Pictures?

1;30 and 10;30 will clear the front sight. This is for the SF Scout light, a ring mount may be a possibility at some point but not right now.

SteveL
10-13-12, 15:18
Todd do you have any idea at this point what the Scout light mounts will be selling for?