PDA

View Full Version : Gas tube retaining pin question

pingdork
01-23-12, 01:45
Just put a centurion c4 rail on my bcm middie that had standard handguards before. While reinstalling the fsb I noticed the gas tube retaining pin went in almost too easy. I'm wondering if this could become a problem later. Could this pin walk out on me? This pin is not tapered like the fsb pins are.

Rattlehead
01-23-12, 01:51
Just put a centurion c4 rail on my bcm middie that had standard handguards before. While reinstalling the fsb I noticed the gas tube retaining pin went in almost too easy. I'm wondering if this could become a problem later. Could this pin walk out on me? This pin is not tapered like the fsb pins are.

Replace it. I never re-use roll pins.

They're so cheap it's almost silly not to replace them, considering what a large impact they can have on your weapon's function and reliability.

pingdork
01-23-12, 02:03
I was hoping that would work. I can pick up one locally. I just wasn't sure if the new one would be any different.

Rattlehead
01-23-12, 02:07
I was hoping that would work. I can pick up one locally. I just wasn't sure if the new one would be any different.

I'm not sure how hard you planning on running your gun, but if it was mine I would buy a new one. Pins love to fall out at the most inopportune times.

zb39
01-23-12, 08:02
It should be tight, replace it and see the diff. If you order it get a bunch of extras of all the pins. I did that years ago. That way when u launch a pin or small spring some where, just grab another.

ST911
01-23-12, 13:24
Buy a few and keep some spares. You may need another someday, or you could hook a brother up.

devinsdad
01-24-12, 11:11
Roll pins and cotter pins should be replaced...not reused. Good enough rule for the aerospace industry, good enough rule for an AR.