PDA

View Full Version : Choosing new sights for my pair of G19's

Chris17404
01-23-12, 09:22
Hi all,

I have a pair of G19's for which I'd like to purchase new sights. One pistol has some old Meprolight 3-dot night sights, and the other still has factory sights. I'm updating both guns with a few aftermarket parts to be identical.

These pistols are used for self-defense and concealed carry. I've found I much prefer a simple sight picture, non-cluttered rear sight, and wide rear notch that allows some daylight between the front sight post. I would like to retain the night sight capabilities. I also like a set of sights that are tall and tend to have a slanted sides that bring your eyes to naturally focus on the front sight. Right now, I am considering these:

1. Ameriglo i-dot (I like the clean sight picture)
2. Ameriglo i-dot Pro (big orange dot up front seems to provide faster sight acquisition)
3. Redback One/10-8 sights (like the concept of the round, wide rear notch and simple sight picture)
4. Trijicon HD (tall, slanted rear sight, round rear notch and big orange dot, seems fast, not sure about 3-dot sight picture)
5. Warren Tactical night sights (uncluttered sight picture, best of what I consider the "slanted" sights to bring eyes naturally to front sight)

I was wondering if you could provide your thoughts on these sights, and which you'd recommend for my needs. Thanks for your time.

Chris

Tomahawk_Ghost
01-23-12, 11:03
Google ameriglo hackathorn sights. That's what I'm running on my G27 and as soon as I get an excuse I'll be replacing my meprolights on my G22.

Evil Colt 6920
01-23-12, 11:37
I have the Trijicon sights on my G34 and love them.

weary
01-23-12, 11:47
I have two dot Warrens on my G19. They have a simple, clean sight picture. I will say the yellow dot on the rear sight is very small and very dim (that is the way Warren intended). It is a little hard to pick up if it is not almost completely dark. I have Heinie straight eight legde sights on my G17 and I have to say I prefer them to the Warrens, mostly because the rear dot on the Heinies is much brighter and easier to acquire. YMMV

DeltaSierra
01-23-12, 11:52
You might want to consider the sights that Redback One is offering...

http://www.redbackone.com/#!proshop

F-Trooper05
01-23-12, 13:04
I really like I-Dot Pros, but I've been very impressed with the RB1 sights. I'm putting them on all of my Glocks.

JonInWA
01-23-12, 13:38
I've been very pleased with the Warren Tacticals on my G34, but I've also consistantly had very good results with the Trijicon "regular" nightsights and Glock steel sights on my two G19s.

At the end of the day, my conclusion is that while accuracy is certainly somewhat dependant upon a decent set of sights, a more significant portion of the accuracy equation devolves around trigger pull/control.

Best, Jon

SeriousStudent
01-23-12, 19:37
How old are you, and what is your uncorrected vision like?

The age comment is not talking smack. I'm past the half-century mark, and I use different sights due to the fact that I wear bifocals.

I have both the Warren Tactical two-dot night sights, and the Ameriglo Hackathorns. With the bifocals on, I like the Ameriglos. With my vision corrected to 20/10, I prefer the Warrens.

I have a set of Ameriglo Defoor's, and really like them as well.

chris67
01-25-12, 08:54
I have warren tactical on my 19 and I like them.

samuse
01-25-12, 09:49
I have Ameriglo DeFoors on all my Glocks.

Nephrology
01-25-12, 12:53
I have Ameriglo Hackathorns on all of my Glocks.

JEC75
01-25-12, 15:39
I have tried several setups, but I like the Ameriglo ProGlo front combined with a 10-8 .156 rear. Its a very fast setup and the "orange ball" settles nicely into the U notch of the 10-8 rear sight

Psalms144.1
01-25-12, 19:00
I voted "other." My personal preference right now is for the Ameriglo pro-glo orange front, mated to the Operator amber rear.

Regards,

Kevin

Street Dog
01-25-12, 22:55
I voted other. Heinie SlantPro Ledge, with a .156 rear notch. I run this setup with a plain rear sight.

Maverick07
01-25-12, 23:02
I recently replaced the Meprolights on my Glock 19 with Trijicon HD sights with orange front insert. I am completely satisfied with the sight picture and how the front sight draws my eye right on it. The rear "U" sight has plenty of room to pick up the front sight. It looks pretty bad ass as well.

rathos
01-26-12, 00:00
Either of the ameriglos. I like the pro's a bit more. If you order from them direct use the coupon code GSSF.

Schulze
01-26-12, 00:03
Get the cheapest that come with tritium.

lebowski
01-26-12, 09:06
I like my Redback Ones on my G19 a lot.

I also have had nothing but good experience with Ameriglo, my favorite being their pro-operator. I'm sure their Hack and other models are also good. I've never used an i-dot setup, the thing I like about my pro-operators is the tritium in the back is barely visible at daytime, so during the day they look more like a black rear than a 3-dot.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-26-12, 09:45
I have a set of Mepro's on my G26, and had some Trijicons on my old P220. Ive never really noticed a difference in Sights, as long as they glow and have 3 dots that align, I dont have an issue. Other than brand quality, am I missing the bus on this one?

hank2165
01-26-12, 10:08
Kyle DeFoor Tactical. Made by Ameriglo.

Jim D
01-26-12, 10:13
In my experience:

Ameriglo Hack's for poor eyesight.
Warren's for average eyesight.
Ameriglo Defoor's for good eyesight.

All have good sized rear notches and clean rears.

I've taken to painting the front sight on my Defoors to keep the front narrow but easier to pickup in crappy lighting than all black.

VLODPG
01-26-12, 10:13
Ameriglo Defoor Tactical

Quality made/Low cost(street price $30)/Excellent sight picture(plenty of light on both sides of the front blade)

I would have liked the option for a tritium front but make due with epoxy paint.

http://i41.tinypic.com/35he0t3.jpg
.115” wide serrated front sight with a flat black rear with a .150” rear notch. (GCF-115 + GL-400)

Edit: I also like that there is no "branding" on them unlike so many products that are in the market today.

KiloHotelWhiskey13
01-26-12, 10:18
42 year- old eyes. Trijicon HDs in orange work really well for me. I now have them on all of my Glocks. Very fast front sight acquisition.

espnazi
01-26-12, 10:31
I'm personally using Ameriglo I-dot and love them, but I'm thinking of getting some Hacks. IMO Ameriglo makes some of the best bang for the buck sights I got my I-dot sights for $55.

I just wish Ameriglo made sights for more guns.

Magic_Salad0892
01-26-12, 14:51
Warren 2 Dots, or 10-8 performance sights.

I haven't used the RB1 sights. I like U-Notches so I haven't sought them out.

I've heard great things about Trijicon HD.

Hdog83
01-26-12, 20:03
Just received two more sets of the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights via UPS yesterday. I've had a set on my G19 for about a year now, and I find they're the most accurate and the fastest for me, particularly in low light. I'm in my 40's, with pretty strong myopia (-8.0 uncorrected in the right, -7.5 in the left), and I'm now finding that my eyes are occasionally getting "tired" in the afternoon/evening for up close work. Yay. For me, the Hacks work the best of what I've tried from the following subset: {Ameriglo Hack, Trijicon HD (yellow front), Glock OEM (plastic), Glock OEM nightsights (Meprolight), Trijicon "standard" (3-dot) nightsights, Heinie Straight 8}. The Hacks are now my default pistol sights, and are slowly taking over my fleet.

For the first install from yesterday's delivery, I'm swapping the Hacks in to replace a set of Trijicon HDs (yellow front) that I had put on my then-new G17 about 450 rounds ago. I had seen the Trijicon HDs on one of LAVs Glocks last fall, and was really impressed with the brightness/visibility of the front in outdoor daylight, but I've found that the U channel rear is really screwing me up versus my other handguns. I'm sure it's more software than hardware (or pick your favorite metaphor here), but for me, I'd rather stick with something "known good" in my hands, than try to re-learn (or cross-learn) to be as effective with the Trijicons.

FWIW, I had the Ameriglo Hackathorn and Trijicon HD front sights out side-by-side this evening, and it seemed to me that the painted ring around the tritium tube was about the same size, which I found surprising (I would have thought the Trijicon painted ring was larger). I tried to take some photos using my wife's idiot camera - I'll see if any came out OK and post the best one here.

OP - FYI - I will drift out the Trijicon rear tomorrow and install the Ameriglo rear, after which I will be putting up the "used" Trijicon HD sights for sale. Obviously the rears deform when they are installed, so the rear sight might be unusable on a second gun, but at least the front will be good to go. PM me if you're interested.

/just my opinions; YMMV

SiGfever
01-26-12, 20:38
I voted "other." My personal preference right now is for the Ameriglo pro-glo orange front, mated to the Operator amber rear.

Regards,

Kevin

Ameriglo ProGlo front, yellow Pro Operator rear on my Gen 3 G19. The contrast between the green front and the yellow rear makes for a very fast acquisition. No more green blur.

Curare
01-29-12, 15:41
Kyle Defoor Ameriglos

zk556x45
01-29-12, 16:17
I have settled on Trijicon HD sights with the yellow dot up front. Couldn't be happier with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brushy bill
01-29-12, 17:00
Ameriglo Defoor Tactical

Quality made/Low cost(street price $30)/Excellent sight picture(plenty of light on both sides of the front blade)

I would have liked the option for a tritium front but make due with epoxy paint.

http://i41.tinypic.com/35he0t3.jpg
.115” wide serrated front sight with a flat black rear with a .150” rear notch. (GCF-115 + GL-400)

Edit: I also like that there is no "branding" on them unlike so many products that are in the market today.

These are a fantastic sight. I added them to a G19 and have been very pleased. Accurate AND I am not distracted by serrations on the rear sight as there are none. The front sight grabs my attetion in contrast to smooth rear. Horses for courses, but I really like these.

JBarbaresi
01-31-12, 14:46
i have used all of the sights you mentioned with exception of the trijicon HD, as well as many others. most recently i switched from the I-Dot pros (had the orange and lime green front) to the 10-8 performance before I found the redback one sights. the RB1 gets my vote as a combat/SD style setup. the reason i transitioned away from 3-dot and brightly colored markings is because i've realized over the years that they do not really work as advertised and in many sitiuations are actually counter productive in drawing focus where it is needed. the RB1 sights are simple, well thought out, and designed so every single detail and feature serves a purpose. i have a set on both my gen4 and gen3 g19.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0724.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0729.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0731.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0659.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0669.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jbarbaresi/Guns/IMG_0666.jpg

gbackus
01-31-12, 15:19
Just get Heinie's and call it a day. It seems that most "new" sights are some variation of what Heinie has been offering for years.

Kevin P
01-31-12, 16:57
One thing you might want to take into account is that all the responses you have received are varied. Sights are a personal deal and what one person likes the other dislikes.

Also many guys here will tell you they have switched sights more then once or twice. Some people are always switching to the flavor of the month. If you want to experiment get a good sight pusher.

If you are wanting sights for defensive use get sights with tritium. Single dot, two dot or three, your preference. Understand the pros and cons of the different varieties and choose accordingly.

Also do a search on sights and you will turn up so many results that you will be busy with reading for months. This is a question that gets asked repetitively on all sorts of gun boards. Also there is an old thread that has pictures of different sight setups.

Colt1910
02-01-12, 00:00
i sent my G19 slide to Glock and for $52 they installed their night sights..forgot who actually makes them but they are GTG..I like em

GoFasters
02-03-12, 05:28
XS 24/7 Express Standard Dot.

R0CKETMAN
02-03-12, 06:39
Three of my Glocks have Warrens. I prefer their single green front/single yellow rear combo. I've also got a mix of Tru Glow, "regular" Trijicons, and Glock sight.

I've learned that a "U" is a must for me and a minimum .25 correlation.

I'm most interested in the HD by Trijicon. I'm going to buy a set on throw them on a new OD26 I just picked up.

opmike
02-03-12, 10:30
I swear by the Ameriglo I-DOT Pros. Clean sight picture in the daytime with a vibrant orange front that's quick to pick up. And a simple illuminated dot over dot setup for night. I have no complaints.

d90king
02-03-12, 10:42
Been running these on all of my Glocks and I like them a lot.
On 19's
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/GL433-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/c33ae374.jpg
On a 17
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/e299cf8d.jpg

Omega Man
02-03-12, 11:22
d90king, Those are Ameriglo's?

JBecker 72
02-03-12, 11:34
I have Trijicons on my 19 and 34, but I think I'm gonna switch to the RB1 sights.

d90king
02-03-12, 12:15
d90king, Those are Ameriglo's?

Yes, they are Ameriglo GL433's Hackathorns. The 19 on the left is wearing the standard Hacks...

Nick710
02-24-12, 13:36
I voted other. Heinie SlantPro Ledge, with a .156 rear notch. I run this setup with a plain rear sight.

This.

Although I like the Straight 8 with the 2 dots.

Shawn.L
02-24-12, 15:15
Google ameriglo hackathorn sights. That's what I'm running on my G27 and as soon as I get an excuse I'll be replacing my meprolights on my G22.

Ameriglo GL-433 on all my guns

Skyfire1201
02-24-12, 16:06
I second the Heinie straight 8 ledge. The sight has just the right dimensions to be effective for both competition and self defense, and the ledge (instead of slant pro) helps with one handed clearance drills. They are pretty pricy, but well worth the money imo. The Warran Tactical Sevigny carry sight comes close, but it doesn't have the serrations or the ledge.

Nippy
02-24-12, 17:56
I went with the Trijicon HD sights. The RB1 sights came in a close second.

Trijicon
- High viz front sight
- serrated sights to reduce glare
- tall thin sights
- rear sight designed to rack slide off belt

dislike
- U notch, i prefer square ones
- POA/POI @ 25yds for g19 is a combat hold i.e. cover your target with the sights.

RB1
- tall thin sights
- POA/POI @ 25yds is center mass for g19
- square notch
- rear sight designed to rack slide off belt
dislike
- one dot system
- no high viz front sight

RB1 would be hands down my favorite if they had 3dots. I'm probably wrong but i just feel more comfortable being able to meet the accuracy standards ,that are out there from the various SME's, in broad day light and at night with no light. Something i can't do with a one dot system.

number9xd
02-24-12, 19:34
I run the Ameriglo GL-212-GR-C ProGlo Green front (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/front-sights) sight with the GL-229-OP-R Pro Operator Yellow rear (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/rear-sights). Got one set to try on the G26 and liked them so much I didn't even carry my other Glocks until I ordered the same for them. LOVE these sights.

The green front just jumps right in your face and the Pro Operator rears don't have the white outline around the vials so in daylight you don't even notice them, looks like a plain black sight. The front comes in orange too (both glow green at night) but I didn't want to be used to seeing a different color front sight depending on the lighting conditions.

The green front with the yellow rear makes for a good contrast at night too.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/IMG_6245.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/IMG_1965.jpg

Borrowed this pic from the web
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/number9st/Guns/sightsto7.jpg

JBecker 72
02-25-12, 12:39
I got to try out my RB1 sights yesterday on my 34 and I am very pleased. I will be switching over my other Glocks to this sight when funds allow it.

tominphx
02-26-12, 01:51
I have a set of the trijicon HDs on my G19, and a set of warren sevigny's with the .245 fiber optic front (gives POA/POI as opposed to a six oclock hold with standard height). I prefer the square rear notch on the sevignys, and the serrations on the front sight with a smooth rear, as opposed to the opposite on the trijicons.

If I was going to go with something now, I would probably get either warrens or some kind, or 10-8, most likely the RB1s.

Of course this is just my opinion as someone who has only shot paper with 2 of the sights you mentioned. I'm no expert.