PDA

View Full Version : AR6720 vs. SP6920

Meth0d
01-23-12, 12:09
Hello everyone. First time poster but I've been reading a lot in the past couple weeks and would like an opinion. I am looking to buy my first AR. I am not new to guns or to shooting. I own a Glock 23 Gen 4 and fire it quite often. I grew up shooting and hunting with 12 and 20 gauge shotguns as well as .22 and .30-06 rifles.

With that said, I am looking at the Colt SP6920 and Colt AR6720. What I am wondering now is if anyone has had issues with a LW/pencil barrel? I do plan on putting a lot of rounds through this gun.

DeltaSierra
01-23-12, 12:19
There is no real benefit to the profile of the 6920, over the barrel profile of the 6720.

Personally, though, the absence of an "F" marked sight base on the 6720 is enough for me to go with the 6920.

I simply refuse to buy a carbine that I have to keep a different set of spare front sight posts for....

crusader377
01-23-12, 12:35
Go with the 6720. IMO the lightweights balance much better and don't give up any practical accuracy over heavier barrel profiles. Also in terms of durability the 6720 is made of the same barrel steel and made to the same quality standards as the 6920 and should offer very similiar barrel life.

Eurodriver
01-23-12, 12:45
There is no real benefit to the profile of the 6920, over the barrel profile of the 6720.

Personally, though, the absence of an "F" marked sight base on the 6720 is enough for me to go with the 6920.

I simply refuse to buy a carbine that I have to keep a different set of spare front sight posts for....

You break iron sights?

You can zero a standard rear BUIS on a non-F marked FSB.

DeltaSierra
01-23-12, 12:53
You break iron sights?

You can zero a standard rear BUIS on a non-F marked FSB.

That is my choice, due to the conditions I am working around.

I came to the conclusion that I need everything to be interchangeable between my hard-use carbines, as I simply don't have the space/organization to store different parts to be kept separate from each other, for different weapons.

I don't really have any strong feelings one way or the other, but that is what works best for me. ;)

Eurodriver
01-23-12, 13:41
That is my choice, due to the conditions I am working around.

I came to the conclusion that I need everything to be interchangeable between my hard-use carbines, as I simply don't have the space/organization to store different parts to be kept separate from each other, for different weapons.

I don't really have any strong feelings one way or the other, but that is what works best for me. ;)

Hey man, don't mind me, I'm just a skeptic and like to ask questions. ;)

I would go with a 6920 too, but not for the reasons you mentioned. I'd get the 6920MP which Colt doesn't offer as a 6720.

arptsprt
01-23-12, 13:52
Either will be a good choice for you.

Here is link to a recent thread about LWs:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96204

Here is another about he 6720:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96753

I'll say this. I was once guilty of buying an AR and putting all the shit I thought I needed on it. I was into other disciplines of the shooting sports and it was just the "cool" thing to do because, after all, I wasn't really shooting my ARs. Now, after getting into the pistol/carbine discipline and several carbine training courses since this past fall, and my own practice/training regiment, I found it ridiculous how worthless all the extra shit was for MY NEEDS. I have 2 6920 and recently bought a DD LW. I like my 6920s. The LW has a sling, a DD backup rear sights and a T-1 on a DD mount. When needed I can pop on my X300 but that is all the shit it is going to have attached. I love the LW rifle.

YMMV.

DeltaSierra
01-23-12, 13:56
Hey man, don't mind me, I'm just a skeptic and like to ask questions. ;)

I would go with a 6920 too, but not for the reasons you mentioned. I'd get the 6920MP which Colt doesn't offer as a 6720.

;)

Yep, either rifle is an excellent choice...

I really wish Colt would stop the nonsense, and start offering the 6720 with an F marked FSB though, and I would wholeheartedly jump on the 6720 wagon...

Meth0d
01-23-12, 13:58
Which DD LW do you have? I was looking at this one:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2546

Either will be a good choice for you.

Here is link to a recent thread about LWs:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96204

Here is another about he 6720:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96753

I'll say this. I was once guilty of buying an AR and putting all the shit I thought I needed on it. I was into other disciplines of the shooting sports and it was just the "cool" thing to do because, after all, I wasn't really shooting my ARs. Now, after getting into the pistol/carbine discipline and several carbine training courses since this past fall, and my own practice/training regiment, I found it ridiculous how worthless all the extra shit was for MY NEEDS. I have 2 6920 and recently bought a DD LW. I like my 6920s. The LW has a sling, a DD backup rear sights and a T-1 on a DD mount. When needed I can pop on my X300 but that is all the shit it is going to have attached. I love the LW rifle.

YMMV.

Kokopelli
01-23-12, 14:01
You might look at the Colt 6721. I'm very pleased with mine.. LGS cost around $953.14.. Ron

http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtTacticalCarbine.aspx

Meth0d
01-23-12, 14:10
LGS = ?

You might look at the Colt 6721. I'm very pleased with mine.. LGS cost around $953.14.. Ron

http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtTacticalCarbine.aspx

Kokopelli
01-23-12, 14:13
LGS = ?

My Local Gun Shop (their cost)... I was looking on gunbroker and they were going for $1050 to $1150.. Ron

arptsprt
01-23-12, 14:40
Which DD LW do you have? I was looking at this one:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2546

That is the one I just purchased. And, I purchased it from this same dealer, Rainier Arms. I also looked at DD4V5LW but decided I just wanted a carbine length gas system and, again, I did not need or want the extra rail...

Meth0d
01-23-12, 15:20
That is the one I just purchased. And, I purchased it from this same dealer, Rainier Arms. I also looked at DD4V5LW but decided I just wanted a carbine length gas system and, again, I did not need or want the extra rail...

Hmm. I really like that gun too. I wish this decision wasn't so difficult.

ZGXtreme
01-23-12, 15:52
Unless you need to mount a M203, I'd go with the 6720. No issues zeroing my rifles that have a standard front sight base.

C4IGrant
01-23-12, 16:26
;)

Yep, either rifle is an excellent choice...

I really wish Colt would stop the nonsense, and start offering the 6720 with an F marked FSB though, and I would wholeheartedly jump on the 6720 wagon...

There is no need for an F marked FSB when you use a taller front sight post (gets you the same results).

The 6720 is my FIRST choice.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

C4

C4IGrant
01-23-12, 16:28
My Local Gun Shop (their cost)... I was looking on gunbroker and they were going for $1050 to $1150.. Ron

It is always a good idea to check with the forum sponsors (as we sell them for $985). ;)

C4

Kokopelli
01-23-12, 17:00
It is always a good idea to check with the forum sponsors (as we sell them for $985). ;)

C4

I got mine for services rendered $0.. but next time I'll keep you in mind.. Your price is the best I've heard... cheers.. Ron

DeltaSierra
01-23-12, 17:10
There is no need for an F marked FSB when you use a taller front sight post (gets you the same results).

C4

Yes, but...

Since I have several carbines that use a standard front sight post, I don't want to have to keep track of which spare sight posts go with which carbine...

I also don't know of anyone other than Bushmaster that sells the high front sight post, and I absolutely refuse to buy anything that they make at this point in time. :D

crowkiller
01-23-12, 17:13

C4

Does the 6720 come with the taller front sight post? Also does it come with an M16 bcg? I really would like to get a 6720 set up the same as the 6920MP except with a same plane fixed BUIS instead of any of the buis Colt offers.

C4IGrant
01-24-12, 08:59
Yes, but...

Since I have several carbines that use a standard front sight post, I don't want to have to keep track of which spare sight posts go with which carbine...

I also don't know of anyone other than Bushmaster that sells the high front sight post, and I absolutely refuse to buy anything that they make at this point in time. :D

Unm what? There is nothing to keep track of. The Colt is setup (from the factory) ready to go with ANY rear sight and optic combo you want.

We sell the taller Front Sight Post: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=TALL-FSP

C4

C4IGrant
01-24-12, 09:05
Does the 6720 come with the taller front sight post? Also does it come with an M16 bcg? I really would like to get a 6720 set up the same as the 6920MP except with a same plane fixed BUIS instead of any of the buis Colt offers.

Yes (FROM THE FACTORY).

C4

Moltke
01-24-12, 09:05
So the sighting plane is the same between the 6720 and 6920, but the sight height is different because one has a thinner barrel?

C4IGrant
01-24-12, 09:06
So the sighting plane is the same between the 6720 and 6920, but the sight height is different because one has a thinner barrel?

The FSB on the 6720 is shorter than the 6920. The front sight post in the 6720 is TALLER than the one in the 6920. This equals everything out.

C4

Meth0d
01-24-12, 20:27

The only thing stopping me at this point is that Grant informed me that DD discontinued that gun so I put in a request to them asking if they honor the warranty of a discontinued weapon.

Have you shot many mid-length set ups? Do you notice the recoil difference? How do you feel about your tac light setup on the 7" rail?

arptsprt
01-24-12, 21:48
I did not know that it was discontinued. Makes no difference to me. My guess it that it was discontinued because more folks are after the longer rails and mid length systems. Again, this was the set up I was looking for.

The standard Daniel Defense warranty was included with my rifle:

"WARRANTY STATEMENT
The Daniel Defense M4 Carbine carries a 100% satisfactions guarantee against defects in original materials and workmanship. If your Daniel Defense M4 Carbine shows evidence of such defects, Daniel Defense will make every accommodation to fix, repair, or replace your firearm in the most expeditious and inexpensive manner possible. Daniel Defense does not warranty products or damage caused to our products by the correct or in correct installation of other manufacturer’s products. Be sure to retain your sales slip as proof of purchase date when making a claim."

I have one gov't profile BCM mid-length rifle. I like it but I honestly I can't tell much of a difference in shooting it compared to my 6920s. I looked at the 6720 and BCM LW middy. To outfit either with a rail and rear BUIS and MOE stock would have been more. I felt the DD was a good value. I will likely buy a mid length LW upper from DD or BCM this summer.

DeltaSierra
01-24-12, 22:23
Unm what? There is nothing to keep track of. The Colt is setup (from the factory) ready to go with ANY rear sight and optic combo you want.

We sell the taller Front Sight Post: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=TALL-FSP

C4

First point - For my spare parts, I find it hard enough to keep things organized as it is, without adding any other individual weapon specific parts.

Second point, if I ever need a tall FSP, I'll order it from you. However, I'd much prefer it if it wasn't manufactured by Scrubmaster...:p

crowkiller
01-25-12, 03:22
The FSB on the 6720 is shorter than the 6920. The front sight post in the 6720 is TALLER than the one in the 6920. This equals everything out.

C4

So why does Colt do it this way? Why not just use the same taller FSB as on the 6920?

rob_s
01-25-12, 04:11
So why does Colt do it this way? Why not just use the same taller FSB as on the 6920?

barrel diameter.

I can't believe that someone is letting the fact that there is a different front sight post determine their overall firearm selection. Talk about the tail wagging the elephant.

Remember that the front sight is already a backup, so your spare front sight pin is a backup to a backup.

C4IGrant
01-25-12, 08:26
First point - For my spare parts, I find it hard enough to keep things organized as it is, without adding any other individual weapon specific parts.

Second point, if I ever need a tall FSP, I'll order it from you. However, I'd much prefer it if it wasn't manufactured by Scrubmaster...:p

I don't know why you would need to keep a spare front sight post, but ok.

We did not buy the tall front sights posts we stock from BM.

C4

C4IGrant
01-25-12, 08:27
barrel diameter.

I can't believe that someone is letting the fact that there is a different front sight post determine their overall firearm selection. Talk about the tail wagging the elephant.

Remember that the front sight is already a backup, so your spare front sight pin is a backup to a backup.

Totally agree. For some odd reason, people cannot seem to grasp how this setup works and think that it won't co-witness.

C4

Moltke
01-25-12, 08:45
Does anyone have the measurements for:

Barrel diameter for 6720 -
Barrel diameter for 6920 -
Front sight base height for 6720 -
Front sight base height for 6920 -
Front sight post height for 6720 -
Front sight post height for 6920 -
Overall height above bore for 6720 -
Overall height above bore for 6920 -

This would solve the confusion because people could add it up and see that it matches.

scottryan
01-25-12, 09:06

No.

The front sight base on a 6720 is not F marked and requires a taller carbine post.

It has nothing to do with barrel diameter.

Moltke
01-25-12, 09:10
So then if you were to buy a 6720 and install a 6920's front sight assembly then it would line up correctly?

scottryan
01-25-12, 09:12
So then if you were to buy a 6720 and install a 6920's front sight assembly then it would line up correctly?

What do you mean by "front sight assembly"?

The base (triangle) cannot be interchanged between barrels.

If you put a post from a 6920 in a 6720 front sight base (triangle) this would be incorrect.

The 6720 is already correctly assembled from the factory.

Moltke
01-25-12, 09:19
What I meant, thanks.

So the front sight bases can't be interchanged because of ... barrel diameter? The 6720's front sight base is shorter, but has a taller post, and it's overall height above bore is level is with a 6920?

Beat Trash
01-25-12, 09:20
Guys really?

How often do you see a front sight post break? How often do you see a front sight post wear from high round counts and need replaced?

Of all the things to debate about the differences of these guns, we're concerned about this?

scottryan
01-25-12, 09:21
Does anyone have the measurements for:

Barrel diameter for 6720 -
Barrel diameter for 6920 -
Front sight base height for 6720 -
Front sight base height for 6920 -
Front sight post height for 6720 -
Front sight post height for 6920 -
Overall height above bore for 6720 -
Overall height above bore for 6920 -

This would solve the confusion because people could add it up and see that it matches.

You don't need to worry about measurements.

You need to worry about if you have the correct parts.

Barrel diameter for 6720 - Irrelevant
Barrel diameter for 6920 - Irrelevant
Front sight base height for 6720 - Short
Front sight base height for 6920 - Tall (F marked)
Front sight post height for 6720 - Tall
Front sight post height for 6920 - Short
Overall height above bore for 6720 - Same
Overall height above bore for 6920 - Same

Moltke
01-25-12, 09:24
Cool thanks. Not worried about my front sight base breaking or anything, just it's always nice to know the differences.

scottryan
01-25-12, 09:28
What I meant, thanks.

So the front sight bases can't be interchanged because of ... barrel diameter? The 6720's front sight base is shorter, but has a taller post, and it's overall height above bore is level is with a 6920?

The sight bases on an AR-15 cannot be interchanged because of the pins are drilled specific to each barrel and the barrels are different in diameter.

ZGXtreme
01-25-12, 09:34
I have a 6720 and the FSB issue, is well not an issue. Someone mentioned the barrel diameter so I believe they are referring to the fact it is small than on the 6920/6921 rifles where the F FSB are designed to work. The 6720's FSB was designed around the barrel diameter of the 6520 which had the A2 rear sight at the time. (I think the same can be said for my 6933... I think at least.)

Regardless... it is not an issue in the slightest on the 6720. If the rifle fits your needs, get one. If I didn't need/prefer the compactness of my 6933 at work, the 6720 would be my go to choice for the rifle rack between the seats. It's LIGHT, reliable, and accurate. The FSB to reiterate, is a non issue.

crowkiller
01-25-12, 11:23
Thanks to those that answered my questions. I never said it was an issue I was just wondering what the specific reason was for Colt to do thisand if I buy 6720 wether I needed to buy a taller front sight post also. If I understand it correctly I do think it would make more sense to update it to use the taller f marked fsb just so all the M4 types have the same parts but I dont think its an issue and will probably buy a 6720 when i get the cash.

zb39
01-25-12, 11:41
I doubt you will be unhappy with the 6720. It is a great gun.

Moltke
01-25-12, 12:12
Thanks to those that answered my questions. I never said it was an issue I was just wondering what the specific reason was for Colt to do thisand if I buy 6720 wether I needed to buy a taller front sight post also. If I understand it correctly I do think it would make more sense to update it to use the taller f marked fsb just so all the M4 types have the same parts but I dont think its an issue and will probably buy a 6720 when i get the cash.

What was just explained is that if you buy a 6920 or 6720 they are set up correctly from the factory and you don't need to switch anything.

ST911
01-25-12, 16:56
Being a maintainer-type, I love parts commonality and take advantage of it where it can be found. That being said, the different front sight post of the 6720 does not outweight it's many other merits.

I have replaced front sight posts. They have been relatively few, are usually user-induced, or catastrophic in origin.

seb5
01-25-12, 17:49
This is getting retarded:help: The differences and common aspects of both sighting systems have been explained, in more detail than most would need. The only time I've ever "had" to replace a front site post was on pool carbines that many had used over the years, rezeroing with many different shooters along the way.

I don't even own a Colt and haven't for many years. Other than an SBR I don't even own a carbine gassed gun, all middies. In honor of this thread I think I'll order a Colt from Grant. I suppose everyone should own 1 16" carbine.:D

crowkiller
01-25-12, 23:39
What was just explained is that if you buy a 6920 or 6720 they are set up correctly from the factory and you don't need to switch anything.

I know and understand what was explained but thanks for trying to help.

Magic_Salad0892
01-26-12, 04:32

rob_s
01-26-12, 05:02

are you out of your tree?

parishioner
01-26-12, 08:02

Yea I dont know about a HBAR and a 1/9 twist, Colt has some better offerings.

Moltke
01-26-12, 08:19
Depends on the cost and intended purpose. If you don't mind the weight, and you're only going to shoot ammo that ranges from 55gr surplus to 69gr handloads, as long as it's the right price then why not?