PDA

View Full Version : And your favorite multi-tool is...?

KintlaLake
12-15-07, 14:33
I'm in the market for a new multi-tool to add to my go-kit. It's been almost ten years since I wrote about these indispensable gadgets for a magazine, so it's been that long since I bought one.

Back then, I reviewed ten and gave away all but three: a first-gen Leatherman Wave (the one I still carry), an original Leatherman PST (which lives on my motorcycle) and a SOG Paratool (now relegated to last-resort status, due to persistent problems with the accessory pivots).

So, which current-gen multi-tool do you carry, or which one would you recommend?

Sidewinder6
12-15-07, 15:06
Id say one of the Free Hand black tools from Gerber. Like most of the people here who have been through many, Ive migrated back after many of the original Leathermen.

LOKNLOD
12-15-07, 16:38
I've only used the SOG and Gerbers.

I carried a SOG Paratool every day from getting it for my birthday in 8th grade, all the way past college graduation (16 1/2 grade ;)). My wife saw me eyeballing a Gerber at a store and eventually got me a Gerber Multi-Plier, so I've been carrying that since (couple years now). I've always carried either one in my front left pocket, in the nylon pouch it came in. Disclaimer: I know some might doubt how much utility a highschooler got out of a multitool (I would have probably get expelled for having it anywhere but a rural OK school) but I've worked on everything from cars to air handlers to automated bag-testing machines with my SOG and Gerber. Mostly the SOG, as now that I'm a working adult, corporate America frowns more on me whipping out a multi tool than the education system ever did. My plant is run by ****tards, in my professional opinion....but that's off-topic.

To be honest, I really prefer the SOG. The pliers on the Gerber unit are a little more substantial for gripping, but after cutting through some heavy bailing wire with the wire cutters, the Gerbers are stiff to open and close like they're out of whack slightly. I did that many times with the SOG with no problems. On the other hand, the way the SOG pliers fold out the side can cause them to fold up on you in some situations if you don't hold them right. The upside of the weird folding is that you can fold it to use as a T-handle with the tools, or fold them at 180° and have a longer, skinner handle. I run into lots of problems with the bulk of the Gerber making using the screwdrivers a pain in the butt in tight spaces.

The one-hand operation of the Gerbers is definitely easier. Eventually the lanyard loop that is for one-hand opening on the SOG got loose and would rotate making it difficult to open one handed. Also, it's possible to squeeze the SOG hard enough to make the handles pinch your palm and get a blood blister. I don't think it's likely with the Gerber.

For me, the biggest benefit of the SOG was that it packs a lot more stuff into a smaller size. Side by side, the SOG is smaller, and the nylon pouch it came in is much more compact (also can be worn horizontal or vertical on a belt, if you do that sort of thing). Together it's a much better package to be dragging around in a pocket, and less conspicous on a belt. The SOG also has more useful tools, and better quality ones at that, in my experience. The knife blades on my Gerber are bent from very limited use, the SOG's are scratched, but straight and solid, after years of being the only pocketknife I carried. The Gerber's tools are also much harder to fold out, and while the locking function on them is nice, I think they'll be prone to jamming up or breaking later and the SOG's design closes in a way that accomplishes the same without needing the plastic slider doohickies.

I'll probably demote the Gerber to a glove-box or tacklebox one of these days, and probably replace it with another SOG or maybe just keep using my old one. I do need a new pouch, as mine has worn completely through the flap.

Just my experience.

KintlaLake, What problems did you have with the pivots? Mine can get quite floppy at the joints where the pliers meet the handles, but a few minutes with the right sockets/wrenches usually solved it.

KintlaLake
12-15-07, 17:00
KintlaLake, What problems did you have with the pivots? Mine can get quite floppy at the joints where the pliers meet the handles, but a few minutes with the right sockets/wrenches usually solved it.

Shortly after I got the Paratool (1998), I installed the SOG saw blade (according to instructions, of course). The accessory pivot on the side with the awl, medium-size flat-blade screwdriver, can opener, knife blade and saw is the problem child.

Tightening the pivot enough to hold the accessories in their positions when closed causes the tip of the knife blade to protrude beyond the handle (binding). Loosening it enough to allow the accessories on that side to fully retract leaves them so loose that they fall open. No amount of fine adjustment eliminates both problems.

I actually like a lot of things about the Paratool. It's under a lifetime warranty and goes back to SOG (again) next week.

Redhat
12-15-07, 17:54
I like the Swiss Army. Heavy duty as compared to me Leatherman or the Gerber's I'veused. I even used it to drive nails into target frames. A little larger than most but very solid IMHO.

subzero
12-15-07, 19:02
I'm interested in an answer to this as well. I have two Leatherman Super Tools that I consider indispensable, but I need a couple more and Leatherman doesn't make'em anymore. (Why?)

I picked up a Gerber on sale a few days ago and am already less than pleased with it. Half of the tools won't fold out without being pried, and the locking mechanism is an accident waiting to happen, IMHO. I've never really liked the Gerbers, and this new tool isn't changing that perception. It'll end up in the tool bin at work.

I'm looking for something that'll take the place of my trusty Kershaw pocketknife. More utility in a relatively small package. Preferably with a pocket clip.

Dave L.
12-15-07, 20:04
I'm not sure if Leatherman or Gerber even make multi-tools in the US anymore. You wont find "Made In USA" on either package.

I noticed the new SOG tools are made in the US, and that's probably the next multi-tool I buy.

I currently have a Leatherman wave; very handy with no problems. I own a Gerber but the materials seem less quality compared to a Leatherman.

KintlaLake
12-15-07, 21:24
I'm not sure if Leatherman or Gerber even make multi-tools in the US anymore. You wont find "Made In USA" on either package.

In 2003, I believe, Leatherman was on the short end of a $13 million court decision, a judge finding that the company had violated a California law "concerning the ability of companies to represent their products as 'Made in USA.'" (Leatherman news release here (http://leatherman.com/news/press-releases/article.asp?articleID=207&section=0).) The $13 million award was reversed on appeal, as I understand it, in 2006.

YMMV, but a company's involvement in this kind of litigation wouldn't affect my decision to buy a product if it was the best one for my purposes.

LOKNLOD
12-15-07, 21:33
Shortly after I got the Paratool (1998), I installed the SOG saw blade (according to instructions, of course). The accessory pivot on the side with the awl, medium-size flat-blade screwdriver, can opener, knife blade and saw is the problem child.

Tightening the pivot enough to hold the accessories in their positions when closed causes the tip of the knife blade to protrude beyond the handle (binding). Loosening it enough to allow the accessories on that side to fully retract leaves them so loose that they fall open. No amount of fine adjustment eliminates both problems.

I actually like a lot of things about the Paratool. It's under a lifetime warranty and goes back to SOG (again) next week.

I would have gotten mine in Feb. '96 (and it went semi-retired in Dec. '05). It already had the saw so I've never had the pivots apart. The knife blade will sometimes pull out a few degrees of rotation when opening adjacent tools, but since you have to push it back in to close the handle it never bothered me. I can see where the problem you had would be a bigger issue.

KintlaLake
12-17-07, 19:13
I sense myself leaning toward another Leatherman Wave here. If it ain't broke...

Dave L.
12-17-07, 19:44
In 2003, I believe, Leatherman was on the short end of a $13 million court decision, a judge finding that the company had violated a California law "concerning the ability of companies to represent their products as 'Made in USA.'" (Leatherman news release here (http://leatherman.com/news/press-releases/article.asp?articleID=207&section=0).) The $13 million award was reversed on appeal, as I understand it, in 2006.

YMMV, but a company's involvement in this kind of litigation wouldn't affect my decision to buy a product if it was the best one for my purposes.

Thanks for posting that, I needed to read that. Now I may get another Wave, or the new Ti version.

ST911
12-17-07, 22:10
In 2003, I believe, Leatherman was on the short end of a $13 million court decision, a judge finding that the company had violated a California law "concerning the ability of companies to represent their products as 'Made in USA.'" (Leatherman news release here (http://leatherman.com/news/press-releases/article.asp?articleID=207&section=0).) The $13 million award was reversed on appeal, as I understand it, in 2006. YMMV, but a company's involvement in this kind of litigation wouldn't affect my decision to buy a product if it was the best one for my purposes.

I found Tim Leatherman's contributions to the Kerry-Edwards campaign and his politics to sour my affinity for the brand, not to mention his response to inquiries on his stances.

KintlaLake
12-18-07, 06:52
I found Tim Leatherman's contributions to the Kerry-Edwards campaign and his politics to sour my affinity for the brand, not to mention his response to inquiries on his stances.

It's a great country.

Still tilting toward the Wave, neither despite nor because.

By the way, I gave my first wife a :eek: Jane Fonda :eek: workout video 25 years ago. I sure hope no one holds that against me... ;)

carshooter
12-18-07, 09:35
I used an original Leatherman for several years until the Wave came out. I purchased a Wave when they were first introduced and have been using it almost exclusively since they came out.

Along the way, I tried a couple of the Gerbers, but prefer the Wave because of the outside access to the knife blades on the Wave. No matter what other funtions the multi tools have, I seem to still use the knife blades the most.

So, in a full size multi tool, I definately prefer the Wave.

However, my most used multi tool is a Leatherman Micra. After purchasing the Micra, I found myself leaving the big multi tools behind in my briefcase, backpack or range bag. I drop the Micra in my pocket along with a fullsize knife.

For a tiny pocket tool, the Micra does 90% of what I ever used a full size multi tool for, primarily minus the pliers.

55Kingpin
12-18-07, 09:42
Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit.

I've had a Leatherman Supertool for the longest time. I think I got it back in 96 or 97. I wore the wood saw out. I've had a Leatherman Wave for a little over 3 years. It's decent, but pales in comparison to the Spirit I picked up last year.

The tool selection in the Spirit is better. IMHO

The ergonomics of the Spirit are better. IMHO

The quality of the Spirit is better. IMHO

ETA: The locking mechanism on the Spirit is WAY better. IMHO

A Spirit will serve you well, and Victorinox, in my experience, is a great company.

the1911fan
12-18-07, 10:10
+1 on the Victorinox Spirit

rob_s
12-18-07, 10:16
Another Wave user/fan here.

condition 1
12-18-07, 11:50
Wave here also, not to big,not to small,as a building engineer I can do just about anything I need to with it, quick fixes, it fits nice in my back pocket next to my wallet, I dont' like wearing things on my belt, and yea I can build a shopping mall with it .....:p

Aubrey
12-18-07, 12:07
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/bogardaw/multitool_gloves.jpg

Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit Plus

KintlaLake
12-18-07, 15:24
I plan to check out the Spirit tomorrow before deciding. I must own 20 Victorinox knives -- the Soldier is among my all-time favorites, and I just snagged the Bundeswehr version of the Trekker.

The Spirit will have to be pretty persuasive to overcome the Wave's thumbholed-blades-on-the-outside feature, but I'll give it a good look.

R Moran
12-19-07, 02:09
SOG power Plier, the one with the gear drive.

You can fold it over, to get extra power to cut, I've used it like that to cut the clips off old LBE suspenders.

It also will not collapse on itself, if the jaw get stuck on something your cutting.
i've seen Leatherman's get stuck on wire, and when the troop tries to open it, it just closes.

I was given a standard Leatherman years ago, and used it as a Blackhat, it it did its job fine, tightening up T10 harnesses, bending and cutting safetywire, etc.

I've since bought and lost a PowerPlier, been issued a standard Leahterman and a Wave. They all do OK, but I bought another PowerPlier and thats whats on my duty belt.

Bob

KintlaLake
12-20-07, 06:05
FWIW, I went with another Leatherman Wave.

Of my three "finalists" (Wave, Victorinox SwissTool Spirit, SOG PowerLock), honestly I couldn't find anything "wrong" or unsatisfactory with any of them. In the end, I decided to go with a new-and-improved version of what already works for me.

For now, my old Wave will go into my go-kit while I give the new one a workout.

Thanks to all who offered their experience and recommendations.

rob_s
12-20-07, 07:43
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/bogardaw/multitool_gloves.jpg

Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit Plus

No idea how well it works, but that thing LOOKS very nice.

Batt 57
12-20-07, 08:17
http://www.multitool.org/home/

KintlaLake
12-20-07, 10:14
No idea how well it works, but that thing LOOKS very nice.

It is, Rob -- the Spirit I handled was solid and typical of my experience with the better Victorinox pieces. If it weren't for my familiarity with the Wave, the Spirit would've been my choice. No reason whatsoever not to consider it.

http://www.multitool.org/home/

Oh, sure, now you tell me. :D Useful link.

maze
12-24-07, 15:14
I have used several since enlisting in the Army.

Leatherman was the first, worked very well. I like the wave better. I was a die hard leatherman guy until working in the desert and I had to cut a military series 200 lock. The gerber Legend, has a hard grit blade on it, that cuts through almost anything. That is the only multi tool I will use or recommend my Soldiers to use anymore. When it comes down to having to cut metal. The Gerber Legend. Sorry to all you leatherman fans, but my experience has proven otherwise. just my opinion.

K.L. Davis
12-24-07, 22:16
I believe that sharp metal things are more niche performance than a lot of stuff I carry... when I pick a multi-tool, the last thing I consider it is a knife, I see it as a collection of small tools that may also happen to have a conventional knife blade.

As for a knife that also offers some other tools... I am with a lot of guys that the OHT is probably the best -- but as far as multi purpose tools go, the Gerber is a much better tool in my book.

I have used both (Gerber, Leatherman and some others) for 15 or better years now, and all I carry today is the Gerber. For what that is worth...

KevinB
12-25-07, 08:12
SOG Unsure of model - it was issued - and has a crimper.
Has folding guards so you hands dont get cut up squeezing.

Cold Zero
12-25-07, 08:23
I have found my Victorinox Swisstool R.S. to be a quality piece.

KintlaLake
12-25-07, 08:45
SOG Unsure of model - it was issued - and has a crimper.
Has folding guards so you hands dont get cut up squeezing.

SOG PowerLock S60 (http://sogknives.com/store/S60.html) or S61 (http://sogknives.com/store/S61.html) (EOD variant)?

KevinB
12-25-07, 09:48
Neither of those (well mine does not have Scissors) -- cost me $40 to keep when I got out -- so I figure it was worth it.

Redmanfms
12-26-07, 19:17
Most of the guys on my boat (well, the ones who had ratings that involved actual work) used some sort Gerber, mainly because they were cheaper at Wal-Mart than Leatherman products. I've had a Wave since they were first introduced and carried that one while I was on the boat, but made much use of the lanyard loop feature. Anything dropped into the bilge is bound to be found and claimed by somebody else. Besides, nice shit always had a way of finding another owner.

Anyway, just like my Rolex that never broke and never needed batteries, the Wave was put to much use and stood up better than the "digits" most other folks used. I still have the Wave and it's still part of my BOB/GHB/camping/hunting gear. It still works great, and the blades hold a decent edge.

woody d
12-29-07, 14:34
this thread made me go dig out the only multi tool i own. its a gerber, but im not sure which model. it was bought a couple years ago, and has lived its life in a shooting bag never being used. ive always carried some swiss army of some sort plus my benchmade, and now i think im swapping the swiss army out for the gerber. i ll see how this works out

KintlaLake
01-07-08, 17:07

FWIW, SOG replaced my 1998-vintage Paratool with a new one, no questions asked. The replacement arrived via UPS today, three weeks after I sent the old one back -- not bad, considering the holidays.

neodecker
01-07-08, 17:21
I carried a Leatherman wave for a couple of years until it was stolen, now I'm using a Leatherman surge.

Trim2L
01-07-08, 18:49
I haven't carried a multi-tool in a few years but the last one I had was a Gerber. I broke the jaws of a few sets of them and never carried another after.

eodinert
01-07-08, 21:11
Gerber makes the tool with the best blasting cap crimpers, and a pokey thing from making holes in C4.. I carry a folder for when I need to cut stuff.

kbrdann
02-01-08, 17:32
Bucktool AA++

Don Robison
02-01-08, 23:03
I'm partial to the Leatherman Wave. I've also got an original Gerber in my vest that I've been using pretty hard since 92. I did manage to break the awl in about 95 clearing a minigun feeder/de-linker, but it keeps on ticking.

Failure2Stop
02-02-08, 09:53
I have owned many of these, from the fold-out SOG (POS) to the Gerber Diesel.

I carried the Wave for the longest time. It did things in extremis that I never intended for it initially. The easy blade access is the real clincher though.

It went AWOL about a year ago. So I replaced it with a Gerber Diesel, which I had wanted for a while, and is available in black.

I miss the Wave, and will probably order another one.

KintlaLake
02-02-08, 11:18
I miss the Wave, and will probably order another one.

Not sure if your first Wave was the original or the new (2004) version...the newer Wave's blades are larger, but slightly thinner, FWIW. I've found them to be stout enough, though.

Failure2Stop
02-02-08, 14:38
Not sure if your first Wave was the original or the new (2004) version...the newer Wave's blades are larger, but slightly thinner, FWIW. I've found them to be stout enough, though.

Thanks for the heads-up.

nick529
02-16-08, 02:41
Just got the Leatherman Skeletool today, its pretty nice for some one like me who dosent use most of the things on the wave. Fixed screwdriver, pliers/wire cutters, and knife thats all I need.

Army Chief
02-16-08, 05:09
I'm not exactly too avant garde here, but I started carrying a basic Leatherman PST when I graduated from flight school a couple of decades ago, and I never found much of a reason to switch.

When my son "liberated" the original on his way to college last year, I replaced it with the same model. Like most of us, I do own a few other tools on the side, and there are definitely flashier solutions out there (perhaps even more useful ones), but the proportions of the PST still suit me.

The original Leatherman is still one of the most streamlined multi-tools on the market, and there have been many, many times when I needed a specifically-dimensioned tool that the PST always seemed to have when the Gerber, or Kershaw, or SOG did not.

The moral of the story? I keep several types around, but I only carry the PST, unless you count the diminutive -- and perversely useful -- Seber Tool M4* ... but that's a whole different story. :)

Chief

* I think the little Seber is now made by a different firm called IDL tools.

MIKE G
02-22-08, 12:32

erh
03-07-08, 09:34
I have carried the Gerber, (And pitched them in the drink for biting the HELL out of me too often..!) the Leatherman (Found them to be TOO light weight and flexible under a load so-to-speak) and for several years now I have carried a SOG Power Plier daily..

I really like the power plier, although I did have the plier tips replaced and was given the newer tips in replacement; the old stubby ones were more hearty, and I ground down the tips on my new ones to make them like the old..

My .02.. :cool:

E!

Gutshot John
03-07-08, 09:52
Victorinox Multi-Tool...10 years of abuse...still running strong.

ZDL
12-22-09, 20:16

maximus83
12-22-09, 20:48
Have owned a Gerber and now have the Leatherman full-feature model, the Charge. I like my Leatherman better than the Gerber, not because the Gerber was bad, but because the Leatherman is more heavy duty and has more features.

SoDak
12-22-09, 22:08
I've used a lot of tools and settled on the leatherman core since it fit my requirements best(farm/ranch work). I'm interested in getting a supertool 300 one of these days since it's basically and improved core.

Pilgrim
12-22-09, 22:32
I'm interested in an answer to this as well. I have two Leatherman Super Tools that I consider indispensable, but I need a couple more and Leatherman doesn't make'em anymore. (Why?)

The old Super Tool, is now called the Super Tool 300. It has a replaceable wire cutter. Kind of a cool feature. It's on their site. Tool is still kinda 'old school' in the handle department.

I sell hardware, and am a Leatherman dealer. Not a big fan of Tim Leatherman (the rotten commie), but I do like the tools, the free replacement warranty, and the perfect customer service.

My favorite is still the Wave, keep it in my BOB. Wave is still their most popular tool.

I carry a Kick with me at work because it was free.

I carry an Original on weekends.

My son has been carrying the new Skeletool, and so far it's been a very impressive 'limited use' tool. We have found it fast into action, and easy to operate. Little big for the pocket sometimes, but can't have everything. They will sell gobs of Skeletools.

CLHC
12-22-09, 22:38
SwissTool Spirit Plus

Jerm
12-24-09, 16:45
I picked up a Charge tti awhile back for my BOB.I'm constantly getting it out for use arround the house.With the extra bit kit and extension is as close as you can get (that i've seen) to having a toolbox in your pocket/on your belt.A beast in every way.

I also picked up a Skeletool CX.It's perfect for a light/compact EDC.I wear it with the pocket clip just like a folder.It's actually less noticable than some of my folders(especially the ZT).

It only has pliars,bit driver(carries 2 double sided bits for 4 options),carbiner/bottle opener,and 154cm blade.It's not really built for heavy/hard use obviously(i keep that in mind)...It's done everything i've asked of it so far though.

Very impressed with both.

Crappy pics for scale...

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/tools013.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/tools019.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/tools014.jpg

RogerinTPA
12-24-09, 19:41
I was issued the Gerber PST in various units back in the early 90's and ended up with 4 or 5 of them, which I gave away to some of my Crew Chiefs and some friends. It was a pretty handy and durable piece of kit. The Wave, is currently my choice.

AirmanAtwood
12-24-09, 20:10
I have the Blast. Its served me well since I got it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-24-09, 20:33
Leatherman Skeletool

bgoode
12-25-09, 15:38
I like my wave pretty good but my favorite is an older model Leatherman. Has a small hordourve fork and a lever assisted wine opener!!!! 8 years Sober tomorrow but I still love that Leatherman most of all :)

mattjmcd
12-26-09, 13:57
The Skeletool is my EDC, with a Wave in my BoB.

halo2304
12-26-09, 16:23
My favorite multi-tool is easily the Leatherman Squirt P4. I always have one close by at the range.

Hat Creek
12-26-09, 21:25
Leatherman Wave with some important blades being locked into position. I liked it even more after watching Russell Crowe wield one in Proof of Life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWQuHJPq3M

kaiservontexas
12-27-09, 02:38
Wave fan here, and that youtube video makes for one heck of a commercial ad. LOL

RAM Engineer
12-28-09, 21:40
I try to avoid buying Leatherman tools. I hated the Gerber I used to have. I really like my Victorinox Spirit S tool. I wouldn't mind trying a SOG.

airwayguru
01-02-10, 22:16
Gerber 600 and the new Gerber Crucial.

Gerber Multi Tools all the way.

jp0319
01-05-10, 00:48
I have had Leatherman, SOG, and Gerber. I like Letherman the best I have a Leatherman Surge with me right now. I like the removable screw driver bits, and Saw/File I have seen numerous files, saws, and screw driver bits shit the bed on other tools leaving the tool barely usefull. But with the Leatherman I can just take the broken piece and swap out a new one, it offers much more virsitility. I think I am going to get a Skeletool CX for EDC as it is much lighter than my Surge.

Danny Boy
01-05-10, 12:49
Leatherman Skeletool user here too. The simple blade/plier/driver combo works for my simple needs. Repaired the company guidon with it earlier during formation. Great bit of lightweight kit.

Von Rheydt
01-05-10, 14:41
Leatherman Charge TTI

Leatherman Jumbo

Leatherman micra, two or three of these dotted around various PSK's

Here's a question for those that know, seeing as I am residing in the UK at present. Do Leatherman honour their long term warranty as I broke the tip on my Jumbo Tool pliers recently after nearly 10 long years of careful ;) ownership.

ra2bach
01-10-10, 01:37
I carry a Leatherman Blast on my first line belt. it's not so heavy and I really like the teeny, tiny little removable eyeglass screwdriver bit. it is reversible phillips/straight tip and I've used it countless times.

one thing I'd like to see on some of these tools is a magnifying glass. for removing splinters, or fixing eyeglasses, etc...

M4arc
01-10-10, 07:26
Leatherman Wave

NoBody
01-10-10, 07:58
Another Leatherman Wave here as well. Even gave one to my wife as a Birthday present. :D

Chooie
01-12-10, 13:29
I carried a Wave for years (original version) until one day I went to reach for it and the leather pouch was unsnapped... d'oh! I've since replaced it with a Leatherman Blast, mostly because it has precision screwdrivers and was compatible with the bit driver. I like the Blast, but I really miss the externally accessible blades.

vaglocker
01-12-10, 15:02
Leatherman Skeletool (stainless version). This has replaced the EDC knife and the Leatherman Squirt i used to carry.

Atg336
01-13-10, 08:09
I've been using multi-tools since High School too, (especially after going to Basic after Junior year). I've had mostly Gerber, but I have used the el cheapo knock-offs and Leathermans.
I always go back to Gerber just because of the one hand flick open, absolutely a life saver to be able to have it ready in a second. I know how to do this with a foldout Leatherman, but it just doesn't work as well.
Right now I have a Gerber Freehand (black) and it is by far the strongest multitool I've used considering it's overall size. I've had it for almost a year now and nothing has broken on it. By now I usually have a couple of fold out tools broken on other multi-tools, not this one. It's worth the money.

Gerber Freehand (http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=767)

Outlander Systems
01-13-10, 13:43
Anyone have any experience with the CRKT Zilla-Tool?

Something about it has been calling to me.

vaspence
01-13-10, 18:41
Another vote for the Skeletool CX for EDC. FWIW I have both, got them as Xmas presents and if I were buying I'd save the cash and get the stainless version. No difference other than blade steel and the blades are't anything to write home about. That said it has been in my pocket every day and replaced my Swiss Army knife. I carry it in a front pocket along with a Strider GB no problem. For serious use the SOG PowerLock.

SoDak
01-13-10, 18:42
Anyone have any experience with the CRKT Zilla-Tool?

Something about it has been calling to me.

Head over to multitool.org and check around. It's a great place to learn just about anything about multitools.

Pathfinder Ops
01-16-10, 11:27
Leatherman Wave.

Had one lost it overboard one day while sailing... :eek:

Bought a couple different brands since thinking they would work; hated them and ended up getting another Wave.

Happy again.:cool:

Simple works for me.

Pathfinder Ops
01-16-10, 11:30
Another Leatherman Wave here as well. Even gave one to my wife as a Birthday present. :D

HA!.......

I'm glad I'm not the only one. My wife has a side biz (catering). She uses it frequently. But when I first got it for her she was looked t me like: "WTF?"