PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy first AR - DD M4V5 or BCM Recce-16?

brizower
01-23-12, 13:06
I have been non-stop reading and looking for a good first AR for the last couple of months and have finally narrowed down my search to either a BCM Recce-16 or a DD M4V5. I was pretty much set on the BCM but now I can't find anyone who can keep them in stock. So I continued my search for a comparable AR and found a good alternate, the DD M4V5. Now that I am looking for a good deal on a DD it seems they are somewhat hard to find for a decent price too, and the usual big name places that have decent deals (CTD, Buds, etc...) are sold out too.

So I am kind of torn between which is a better first AR, and whichever is more easily found at a decent price. I'd like to hear some opinions from someone who has owned or shot either one of these rifles.

crusader377
01-23-12, 13:27
Toss a coin and pick the winner.

Both BCM and DD are great rifles and both will serve you well. I would buy which ever of the two are less expensive.

Meth0d
01-23-12, 13:29
Rainier Arms has both the Government Profile DDM4V5 and the Lightweight Profile DDM4V5 for $1366.

sadmin
01-23-12, 13:38
Here is the DD lw in stock:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2582

I have owned / shot both. Both are excellent choices, my preference is the BCM. Your about to ask me to expound on that preference and I really cant tell you a meaty reason due to them both being high quality. All the important things were matched; function, accuracy, reliability, etc.. Small items of note: I prefer the Omega X over the Troy handguard; and I would think most would as well. Honestly though, neither are my preferred rail, so you can toss that out to me.
The finish on the DD was maybe slightly better but that is not something im looking for.

Drill into the details and see what suits you; but again the steak and russets are all there on either. Once you own a BCM rifle though, its hard to recommend / purchase anything else.

brizower
01-23-12, 14:42
Once you own a BCM rifle though, its hard to recommend / purchase anything else.

So, really owning a BCM for a first rifle is like losing your virginity to Jessica Alba? Every other rifle/woman is going to be sub-standard after that?:D

I have noticed that the only thing the BCM has that is "extra" that doesn't really come on/with the DD is the BCM gunfighter charging handle, which isn't a big deal to buy separately... but it would be nice to have. Oh, and a GI mag.

The DD comes with a case, a pmag, MOE stock, foregrip, etc. So it really is a little better set up for a first rifle.

I own a bulldog gunbag already, and I have a shopping cart ready on Brownells to include:

AFG
CTR stock
B.A.D. lever
Troy folding BUIS
MIAD Grip
2x 20 round pmags
2x 30 round pmags
A sling, I'm undecided on that.
BCM Gunfighter charging handle if I get the DD
Maybe a bipod, also undecided. But the range I go to I spend a lot of time shooting off the bench knocking over steel plates at a distance.

So I will be getting rid of the MOE stock and foregrip(from the DD) and the GI mag will probably collect a lot of dust (from the BCM) right off the bat. That is the setup I plan to spend a little bit of time with learning the gun.

Although I have the loot, I am probably going to hold off on buying the EOTech XPS2-2 I want until I am comfortable with the BUIS and the rifle itself. But I might just get it and throw it on my 870 Tactical for the time being.

Really my initial budget is about $2200 if I get the EOTech, about $1,700-$1,800 without. I might buy a Ruger SR22 as well for my girl to shoot if I don't buy the EOTech.

I've only shot one DD before, it was a SBR on a Ruger SR556 lower, I liked it. I've also shot the SR556, a couple piston Core 15's, a Bushmaster, Colts, and the junk M16's the USAF issues (I'm enlisted, A-10 crew chief - we shoot about 100 rounds 90 days prior to every deployment... so about 300 rounds through that.) The fact that I can't find anyone with a single negative thing to say about the BCM is driving me to buy one without ever shooting it.

Also, where is the weight saved in the LW DD M4's? Does it affect any accuracy/reliability?

Oh, and thanks for the info to those who replied. I've posted in other forums and had it turn into DI vs Piston debate and pissing on all sorts of brands and whatnot and never really got the answers I was looking for.

incognito
01-24-12, 04:46
I was in the same spot as you are in now before my last purchase, DDM4V5 or the BCM? Both are high quality, price is pretty close?

For me it came down to the rail. I wanted the DD rail anyway, so I went with the V5. If I had wanted another rail I would have ordered the BCM upper and put it on a blem BCM lower.

svtpwnz
01-24-12, 09:24
Both are great rifles and will serve you well for many years. I went with a DDM4 and am very happy with it.

Beat Trash
01-24-12, 10:30
Both are good choices, so let fate decide for you. Buy which ever one you find in stock first.

brizower
01-24-12, 14:54
CTD and Bud's have the best prices. Buds has the DD in stork for $1200. CTD had the BCM in stock for about $1150 after shipping. It really is a toss up at this point. If CTD doesn't have the BCM in stock by the end of the week I will most likely buy the DD.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

11B101ABN
01-24-12, 15:21
Considering which forum, you are on, perhaps you should give Grant some of your cash.;) I'm sure he can square you away in short order.

jesuvuah
01-24-12, 15:28
I am a proud new owner of a DD m4 v7. I got it through grabagun for 1050 and it is an amazing rifle. If you do not need all the rails I suggest checking it out. I prefer the handgaurd style of the v7 but this is just a personal preferance as all I need to mount up is a light.

Nmate
01-24-12, 15:44
I really wouldn't worry about buying a CTR if you get the Daniel Defense. It already has MOE, so I don't see the need for spending another $100 on a stock that offers very little over it. If you want some more cheek weld, then I could see buying an Emod or a SOPMOD, but I don't see the need for the CTR.

brizower
01-24-12, 16:58
I really wouldn't worry about buying a CTR if you get the Daniel Defense. It already has MOE, so I don't see the need for spending another $100 on a stock that offers very little over it. If you want some more cheek weld, then I could see buying an Emod or a SOPMOD, but I don't see the need for the CTR.

True.

My main reason for that was for the sling swivel attachment piont that is in the CTR but not the MOE. But, if I end up with the DD M4V5 there is a sling swivel it has the sling swivel attach point on the back side of the lower, which looks to be way better. Now that I add it all up, it looks like the DD is becoming more and more appealing. :rolleyes:

Either way I will end up swapping out the black stock for an FDE stock.

evo03
01-24-12, 21:04
Both are great guns, can't go wrong with either one. I have a BCM upper on my AR and love it. Why not consider building one? Its not that hard and only requires a few tools, it can be built with exactly what you want, plus you get to learn the gun, in and out.

Tactical Joke
01-24-12, 21:26
I'm from Georgia, so I bought DD. I don't own a BCM, but I sure as hell wouldn't feel undergunned with one.

Fo me, it comes down to the rails. I have both Troy rails (TRX Extreme) and DD Rails (Lite 9.5 FSP), and I prefer the DD rails. Of course, comparing the DD Lite to the Troy TRX Extreme is most certainly an apples to grapes comparison.

I say, get the DD and help out my home state. :cool:

brizower
01-25-12, 02:55
I'm from Georgia, so I bought DD. I don't own a BCM, but I sure as hell wouldn't feel undergunned with one.

Fo me, it comes down to the rails. I have both Troy rails (TRX Extreme) and DD Rails (Lite 9.5 FSP), and I prefer the DD rails. Of course, comparing the DD Lite to the Troy TRX Extreme is most certainly an apples to grapes comparison.

I say, get the DD and help out my home state. :cool:

I'm actually in GA too, not by choice. I'm from upstate NY originally. I leave this summer for a year tour in Korea and hope I never come back. Gnats, sweaty balls, and feeling like you're living in an episode of squidbillies is not my thing. :p

The thought had crossed my mind though that maybe I will take a little piece of GA with me so I can't say it was all bad. DD is only about 2 hrs away from my house.

Leethal
01-25-12, 09:40
In that case, get the BCM. You wouldn't want that squidbilly gun made by some stupid Georgia hicks to blow up in your face, now would ya?

yunggunz
01-25-12, 11:24
I have a DDM4v5. Lets just say my only regret is not getting the LW version.

brizower
01-25-12, 12:42
Where is the wieght saved on the LW version? Just the barrel? Does it affect accuracy at all? From what I could tell on the website it only saves 5oz?

yunggunz
01-26-12, 13:25
Where is the wieght saved on the LW version? Just the barrel? Does it affect accuracy at all? From what I could tell on the website it only saves 5oz?

The weight saved is out front were it makes the most difference. It does not affect accuracy that a normal user would notice. There is nothing in my opinion that you would need a normal barrel using a semi-auto trigger group. It might not seem like a lot but once you hang a light out front, it makes a huge difference.

polydeuces
01-26-12, 13:48
Just to really mess this whole thing up - received the "Midway" Feb paper, have a COMPLETE Noveske N4 recce listed for $777.00.
In stock.

That is stupid good. And almost unbeatable.

Complete, meaning - BCG, AAC Blackout fh, Gunfighter ch. A2 fsb/hg....
Add a lower, any decent lower, and rock away!

Having owned both I'll take a Noveske N4 barrel over a DD, pretty much.

nml
01-26-12, 15:13
I think that would also be the first recon upper with a standard hand guard and fsb...

Quentin
01-26-12, 17:13
I'm actually in GA too, not by choice. I'm from upstate NY originally. I leave this summer for a year tour in Korea and hope I never come back. Gnats, sweaty balls, and feeling like you're living in an episode of squidbillies is not my thing. :p

The thought had crossed my mind though that maybe I will take a little piece of GA with me so I can't say it was all bad. DD is only about 2 hrs away from my house.

So you'll take the AR made by Lenny & Squiggy & Laverne & Shirley over the one made by GA squidbillies! :p I'm a hillbilly from NC so no wonder I went with the DD and three Glocks. Love them but the next one might just come from BCM.

lowcountrytj
01-26-12, 17:42
In that case, get the BCM. You wouldn't want that squidbilly gun made by some stupid Georgia hicks to blow up in your face, now would ya?

:D
DD...Have a good day.

jc000
01-26-12, 20:33
Just to really mess this whole thing up - received the "Midway" Feb paper, have a COMPLETE Noveske N4 recce listed for $777.00.
In stock.

That is stupid good. And almost unbeatable.

What?

Is this on their site?

KCBRUIN
01-26-12, 21:14
I just checked and the website says sold out. That didn't take very long. They do have back order listed as ok so you could reserve that price.

polydeuces
01-26-12, 21:38
Re the N4 - It is the UPPER ONLY!

Apologies for that omission.......However I did say "....add any lower...", but still.

brizower
02-07-12, 14:58
I was getting ready to buy yesterday and Bud's sold out of the DD M4V5.

Today I woke up and checked CTD and they had the BCM Recce 16 back in stock, so I bought it since that's what I was leaning toward first.

I also ordered:

420 rounds of 162 grain .556
AFG
CTR stock
MIAD Grip
BAD lever
Troy Ind BUIS (DOA rear, M4 front)
2x 20 round pmags
2x 30 round pmags

CPB
02-19-12, 02:05
Daniel Defense all the way have 2 of them and will have 2 more shortly, maybe even a few more with the way shit is looking nowadays.

McTerry
02-19-12, 04:17
If you go with the Rainier Arms link posted above I can definitely vouch for them. Great company, fast and cheap shipping, and really good customer service.

They have taken a good portion of my last couple checks and I don't have a single regret about it.

TehLlama
02-19-12, 15:15
I'll as unhelpful as possible - best deal I've gotten is a Blemished BCM lower through G&R Tac and the DD V5 LW for the upper - $1030 for the complete rifle, and it shoots.

Can't go wrong with either - the V5 is one of the most effectively lightweight options, and the OmegaX comes with built in sling swivels - the BCM Recce would make more sense if you're going to be shooting it for groups with match ammo often.