PDA

View Full Version : Setting up rifles identically: is it pointless or brilliant?

Eurodriver
01-23-12, 13:56
I just finished swapping an ACOG on my 14.5" for an Aimpoint T1. I love this rifle. Its very light and feels great when its shouldered. I've forgotten what its like carrying a full size carbine, I haven't shot this thing in probably 3 or 4 months. I think I like it more than my SBRs, especially my 10.3" (even though they're identical). That suppressor adds alot of weight to the end of that SBR.

Do any of you have rifles that are (nearly) indentical to one another?

On one hand I've got two different rifles that operate exactly the same way with exactly the same parts.

On the other hand, I've got two identical rifles save for a tax stamp and 4" of barrel length.

What do you guys think?

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9206/145arl.jpg
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3006/145arr.jpg
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1981/103rz.jpg
http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/5150/103lx.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3206/145arsr.jpg
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7061/145arsl.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7201/arsidebyside.jpg
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/779/bigbrol.jpg

telecustom
01-23-12, 15:42
I think having 2 rifles set up the same is the right way to go. You hear all the time that 1 is none and 2 is 1. Also, when you go to training, you have a spare that is ready to go as needed instead of having to spend a lot of time fixing it and missing out on training time.

Both of my rifles are exactly the same (with consecutive SNs) other than the optics. One is has an EOtech and the other has an ACOG.

In fact, my pistols are the same too.

QuietShootr
01-23-12, 15:45
I think having 2 rifles set up the same is the right way to go. You hear all the time that 1 is none and 2 is 1. Also, when you go to training, you have a spare that is ready to go as needed instead of having to spend a lot of time fixing it and missing out on training time.

Both of my rifles are exactly the same (with consecutive SNs) other than the optics. One is has an EOtech and the other has an ACOG.

In fact, my pistols are the same too.

Yup, this. I even have a 15/22 set up just like my 5.56s with light and everything just so it all works the same.

Moltke
01-23-12, 16:00
How in detail are you going here?

Similar setups are great as long as you don't get bored with them, and the ability to pick up any rifle without feeling a difference them can be nice BUT if you have a half dozen rifles or more - is it worth the cost to have them all accessorized the same? Or for that matter, accessorized at all?

telecustom
01-23-12, 16:27
It all comes down to your purpose for the your equipment. My rifles and pistols are set up in kits with corresponding chest rigs and holsters. This way they are in a grab and go format. The pay off of being identical trumps the possible boredom.

rob_s
01-23-12, 16:36
I think a 1:1 is a waste, but having an SBR and a 16" that are otherwise identical or close to it makes sense. Gets you a backup but also gets you greater capability. Optics are one place they can be made similar but different, where one could have a 30mm Aimpoint and the other could have a micro, or one could have a 3x ACOG and the other could have a 1.5x, or one could have an Eotech and the other could have a 1-4x with similar reticule.

Eurodriver
01-23-12, 17:23
I think a 1:1 is a waste, but having an SBR and a 16" that are otherwise identical or close to it makes sense. Gets you a backup but also gets you greater capability. Optics are one place they can be made similar but different, where one could have a 30mm Aimpoint and the other could have a micro, or one could have a 3x ACOG and the other could have a 1.5x, or one could have an Eotech and the other could have a 1-4x with similar reticule.

I think this is what I was trying to articulate in my OP, especially in regards to SBR/non SBR. Mainly if I attend a training class out of state I don't have to worry about getting my permission slip from Big Brother. The non SBR I can throw in the trunk tonight and drive to NC to go shoot with friends if I wanted, not so much with the 10.3". However, the rifle is identical, minus some extra weight up front on the SBR. The light activation is the same, the stock is the same, the optic is the same, etc.

I thought long and hard about a 30mm aimpoint, but I couldn't get over the weight difference. Its only a few ounces, but I am sold on the T1 being so light. I do own a set of PVS14s (You can see a twist mount behind the T1 on the SBR) so I wanted to keep an NV capable setup regardless of the optic I chose.

Hmac
01-23-12, 17:36
I use different optics, different stocks and foregrips, but the running gear is the same across the three rifles I use the most....same Giessele SSA trigger, same BADASS lever configuration, same charging handle, same sling QD points, same MOE pistol grips, same trigger guard. I don't care if they feel, handle, or shoot differently, but it makes sense to me that the basic functionality of controls is the same.

TehLlama
01-23-12, 21:48

I agree completely with this, although I will have a nearly 1:1 pairing with my wife's rifle and my lightweight training one.

I've settled on a 12" DD Lite handguard with X300 in front of fixed sight at 12:00 as a common front end setup, and an ACS stock with LT660 mounted optic as my default setup, and from that only minor modifications to that silhoeuette makes it simplest (e.g. a 9" rail on an 11.5" SBR, or folding sights and low powered variable for a recce rifle), but having that commonality means I'm not scrapping muscle memory to move to and from a range abuse rifle.

Ironman8
01-23-12, 21:59
I agree with the above...the simplest way I can explain my thought process was to have everything behind the end of the rail (from end of rail back to buttstock) exactly or as similar as possible. My "1:1" would be a non-NFA training rifle and a SBR/Suppressed "Go-To" gun.

HeavyDuty
01-23-12, 23:56
I purposely set up my main go-to midlength and my .22 the same. They've changed slightly since this:

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac123/HDF62/AGP-1-and-AGP-22.jpg

rob_s
01-24-12, 05:45
This article is old, but seems germane to the discussion.

https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/projects---guns/a-tale-of-two-carbines

markm
01-24-12, 08:01
I just put the lights in the same spot, use the same sling, and run the same sights. The rest is different lengths, stocks, buffer systems, etc.

BC98
01-24-12, 09:02
I think this is what I was trying to articulate in my OP, especially in regards to SBR/non SBR. Mainly if I attend a training class out of state I don't have to worry about getting my permission slip from Big Brother. The non SBR I can throw in the trunk tonight and drive to NC to go shoot with friends if I wanted, not so much with the 10.3".

If I remember correctly, you can request for permission to take your SBR out of state for up to a year at a time for occasions such as that above. You would just have to plan ahead a little. I'll probably do this just in case I end up going to see friends in an SBR-friendly state for some shooting.

Doc Safari
01-24-12, 10:05
I subscribe to the "two is one; one is none" camp, but I don't see the need to just clone your primary weapon down to the gnat's ass. I have my go-to carbine set up with an Aimpoint T1, Daniel Defense light mount with Surefire G2, and a GG&G BUIS. I have a spare rifle, and at some point I plan to have a spare RDS, light, and mounting hardware, but it won't all necessarily be identical to my go-to carbine's setup.

Beat Trash
01-24-12, 10:24
I have two carbines set up exactly.

Both are Colt 6920's that I've had since about 2006.

They each have the following:

Aimpoint T-1's
Troy BUIS
MagPul STR stocks (only had these since Saturday, feels great!)
VCAS Slings
MagPul MOE Fore ends
IWC light mounts
Surefire G2x lights

I have long arms. When Troy starts production on their new Delta Battle rail, I'm going to try one. If they work as planned, then both of these guns will be outfitted with them.

One gun is my Patrol Rifle at work (LEO).

The second carbine is a spare to the first. There were a few reasons for my wanting a spare gun ready to go.

If I use this gun in an OIS, it will be taken into evidence and remain there until the case is closed. The same as in any shooting incident. This will happen for both a LEO shooting on duty or a non-LEO self defense shooting. This process could take a few weeks to a few months, depending on the dynamics of the incident. Kind of nice to have a spare gun ready to go in the mean time. You never know if the person you shot might have friends or relatives who may have issues with your actions.

If I spend my hard earned money to travel somewhere to attend a training class, I want to get the most out of the class. I'd hate to get to the interesting part of the class, only to have something break on my gun. The quickest way to fix the issue would be a spare gun.

If I want to leave my primary carbine locked away at work when I'm off, I have a similar set up in the safe at home to use for a H/D gun. All the training and practice I've done instantly transitions over to the H/D gun.

These are not the only AR type guns I own. But I don't have identical twins of every AR, as I don't feel the need. For me, I can easily justify to myself the need to have an identical setup of at least these two afore mentioned carbines.

eodinert
01-24-12, 10:58
Put a 16 inch barrel on your SBR and travel away.

sadmin
01-24-12, 11:05
I have more than 2 ARs, but I am doing a 1:1 on my "go-to/primary" gun. I formulated a solid aggregate on a few drills with my primary and then ran the same drills with my other ARs; with my primary I'm consistently faster and more accurate. Technically, I get I should be able to get the same times with other guns, but im not proficient enough yet. My primary AR for whatever reason is so fluid to my shooting; from shouldering, cheek-weld, mechanics, grip..etc; I shoot it better than all the others. This to me is worth cloning it for my future needs. Im sure this has something to do with shooting it the most often, and it being the only AR I have shot in training classes.

Do you guys try to shoot your diff. flavors of ARs in classes to remove the conditioning to one setup?

Typing this out and reading it seems like I have a crutch more than a advantage. I love self discovery.

misanthropist
01-24-12, 11:16
I'm of the opinion that any time you can increase the level of operational similarity between machines you have to use on a regular basis, the easier it is to transition between them.

At one time I had a 1987 Volkswagen Fox. The clutch pedal was in exactly the same spot as my 1964 Malibu's brake pedal. Once in a while, particularly when running a yellow light and focused more on traffic than on operating the Malibu, I'd unconsciously go to shift like I was driving the Fox, and stomp good and hard on the brake pedal.

The more similarities you can get, the less likely you are to screw up something when going from one platform to another. Some things may not be enough of a difference to matter - an M4s or a T1, maybe not.

But if your grip is significantly different, say...maybe you blow a reload, maybe you AD your light...potential problems, anyway.

Closer together is better from my perspective.

RGoose
01-24-12, 11:39
I'm in the same position as markm. Lights are in the same position (roughly), and I choose the same type of grip (Magpul MIAD or MOE). Other than that optics, sights, sling, handguards, barrel length are all different.

There is consistency in that they are all AR15s (excluding "other" long guns) and the manual of arms is the same. I don't see it being pointless to have identical (or very close to) set ups. It's just a higher degree of consistency and a matter of personal preference. I happen to like a little bit of variety, and maybe that's because I just haven't found that "perfect for me" configuration and I'm still fine tuning. If I ever do, maybe there will be a massive parts change over.

Moltke
01-24-12, 11:43
I agree with the commonality between a primary and backup wholeheartedly.

jjw
01-24-12, 12:01
i have 11-12 ar's dont know exactly

7 - .556 (3 sbr) or thereabouts
3 - 5.45 (1 sbr)
1 - 7.62
1 - 6"tac sol .22upper (s.b.r.)
1 - sbr completely different for obvious reasons
soon to have a glock lower (ordered at show)
couple others i can remember + enuff parts to build 3=4 more

all are 99.98% same for tactical reasons
i am not a game shooter. i am an old trigger puller
want it all to be same IF/AND I SAY IF the shit ever hits

if i like and refine 1 type of set up,why wouldn't i want nearly the same.
Rob S. is close but not quite for me

only difference is i train with eotech and i go otd with aim points

Blankwaffe
01-24-12, 12:23
On my AR's I try and keep the configuration similar.I have preference for a certain sling, RDS and BUIS.I like to keep the controls very basic and the same on all,I do prefer an ambi safety on all my AR's,but no additional or extended levers etc..

Personally Im a creature of habit and get flustered if routine is taken out of the norm,particularly in stressful situations.
I also use a couple different pattern rifles/handguns and I treat them to training and habit forming processes as well as to stay familiar.
Which includes accoutrements and routine placement no matter the platform.

So the saying that you fall back on your training/routine/habits is very true.
That can pertain to stressful events such as defensive,at a competition or even playing around at the range.

For example is how you will see some folks start fumbling to clear a a FTE/FTF etc.,or searching for a mag due to wearing a new chest rig or change in location of mags etc..

A good personal example for me,that I will never forget,I remember during a qualification in my LEO days years ago, I thought I had ran out of ammo just because I had relocated my mags to a different spot than normal.Just the thought of stopping the line,or failing to qualify was enough to cause me to panic and start rambling around in a frantic search.Kinda looked like Mr. Bean Im sure.

The instructor saw my panic stricken search and came over and slapped my mags to indicate location.Lots of not so nice discussion on developed habits and routine after that for sure.

So keep in mind its not just weapon configuration that can play a role.