PDA

View Full Version : Silencer: Necessary or an illusion?

ASH556
01-23-12, 14:02
I have the distinct advantage of having worked for and being friends with folks that own a fantastic gun shop and deal quite a bit in silencers. In fact, it's the location where Kevin started AAC back in the day. As such, I've been exposed to silencers for a long while and always enjoyed the CDI factor that they carry. I currently only own a 9mm can (Evo 9 hosted by a Glock 19). I've always wanted an AR can, but just never coughed up the coin for it. I'm doing some horse trading and adding some cash to make things work out. Basically, what I'm left with is a DD MK18 and a 16" DD LW Middy w/14.0 rail.

With my remaining available funds I have to choose between:

1) Vortex 1-4 optic/mount for the 16" + furniture to make the MK18 like I want it (SOPMOD, MIAD, Gunfighter, Sling)

or

2) AAC M4-2000 + $200 cash leftover.

I really really really want the can. Then again, it seems dumb to have a rifle sitting in the safe with no sights (the 16"). Simply saving a little longer and getting both isn't an option. Whichever I hold off on would have to wait until next year (2013) to fulfill.

So, is the can really that useful? I hear from some folks that they really just sit in the safe and aren't that useful. Then again, I've heard that the 10.3" MK18 without a can is painfully loud.

Thanks for the input!

Javelin
01-23-12, 14:09
Hello!

I would give some serious thought into the new AAC 7.62 offerings. Then you have a multi-caliber can. I have both the M4-2K and 762SD and quite honestly I could have just gone with the 762SD.

Now that AAC has the shorter version (and Surefire too) of the 762 suppressor family why not go for it? You can then use it on all kinds of platforms and when you decide to grab a 300BLK down the road you're covered.

;)

SHIVAN
01-23-12, 14:20
Suppressors are for fully functional weapons only. If you don't have sights, you do not have a fully functional weapon.

1) Working carbine with irons of some sort, flip up or perm.
2) Ammo
3) Sling
4) Optics (RDS or Magnified)
5a) Training
5b) Training
5c) Training
5d) Training
5e) Training
5f) Training
5g) Training
5h) Training
5i) Training
5j) Training
6) Replace any broken, worn or non-spec parts
7) Stock up on parts from #6
8) TactleNeck, Black
9) Suppressor

That's my list. It might not work for one other person in the whole world, but that's how I start.

ASH556
01-23-12, 14:20
Hello!

I would give some serious thought into the new AAC 7.62 offerings. Then you have a multi-caliber can. I have both the M4-2K and 762SD and quite honestly I could have just gone with the 762SD.

Now that AAC has the shorter version (and Surefire too) of the 762 suppressor family why not go for it? You can then use it on all kinds of platforms and when you decide to grab a 300BLK down the road you're covered.

;)

Yeah, that's what my buddy/dealer keeps telling me too. Just a lot of money and weight for a "maybe someday." Y'all are probably right, though.

ASH556
01-23-12, 14:23
Suppressors are for fully functional weapons only. If you don't have sights, you do not have a fully functional weapon.

2) Ammo
3) Sling
5a) Training
5b) Training
5c) Training
5d) Training
5e) Training
5f) Training
5g) Training
5h) Training
5i) Training
5j) Training
8) Suppressor

That's my list. It might not work for one other person in the whole world, but that's how I start.

SHIVAN,
I appreciate the input and agree. In this case, the MK18 would be a complete carbine with RDS, Sights, Sling, Mags, Ammo, ETC. I guess the real question is would you rather have a 2nd carbine fully setup or a suppressor for the first carbine?

SHIVAN
01-23-12, 14:33
SHIVAN,
I appreciate the input and agree. In this case, the MK18 would be a complete carbine with RDS, Sights, Sling, Mags, Ammo, ETC. I guess the real question is would you rather have a 2nd carbine fully setup or a suppressor for the first carbine?

Suppressor. By the time you get the paperwork back, you'll be able to save up for the complete package on the 2nd one.

If you have the carbine and irons, you are there with a working gun.

munch520
01-23-12, 14:39
8) TacticalNeck, Black

Not to split hairs, your #8 is way higher on my list :haha:

Javelin
01-23-12, 14:41
Yeah, that's what my buddy/dealer keeps telling me too. Just a lot of money and weight for a "maybe someday." Y'all are probably right, though.

Haha yeah. I swore to myself that I needed those dedicated platform silencers in each caliber. Could have saved myself some money. But now even more than then if you look over at the new AAC 762 offerings (Such as the new AAC 7 series silencer) it really is becoming more of a compelling "no brainer" anymore.

:D

justlikeanyoneelse
01-23-12, 16:47
Suppressor. By the time you get the paperwork back, you'll be able to save up for the complete package on the 2nd one.

If you have the carbine and irons, you are there with a working gun.

Very good reasoning, currently its close to a 6 month wait for nfa items.

Eurodriver
01-23-12, 17:14
I just finished my almost 7 month wait for my M4-2000 and Pilot 2.

Pilot 2? Hell yes. I wish every gun owner in America owned a .22LR suppressor. It would cut down on the noise generated from plinking rednecks tremendously. Depending on the firearm and ammo used, a .22 suppressed is scary quiet.

The AR15 is a different story. I would not get a suppressor unless you plan on building a rifle from the ground up to run suppressed and it has a barrel length of less than 11.6."

Magic_Salad0892
01-24-12, 17:54

2) Ammo
3) Sling
5a) Training
5b) Training
5c) Training
5d) Training
5e) Training
5f) Training
5g) Training
5h) Training
5i) Training
5j) Training
8) TactleNeck, Black
9) Suppressor

What about a light, and mount?...

Polymerhead
01-24-12, 18:55
With my remaining available funds I have to choose between:

1) Vortex 1-4 optic/mount for the 16" + furniture to make the MK18 like I want it (SOPMOD, MIAD, Gunfighter, Sling)

or

2) AAC M4-2000 + $200 cash leftover.

Damn, man - what Vortex cost $200 more than an M4-2000? You buying a Razor? Or is it really expensive furniture? The 1-4x PST is a pretty BA scope for $500.

For a 5.56 gun, I'd say a suppressor takes a back seat to an optic. I actually had a suppressor paid for before the scope because I went with a 30 cal can and had several platforms to use it on. Now mine has an AAC can on it as well as the 1-4x PST and I love the setup.

ASH556
01-25-12, 08:19
Damn, man - what Vortex cost $200 more than an M4-2000? You buying a Razor? Or is it really expensive furniture? The 1-4x PST is a pretty BA scope for $500.

For a 5.56 gun, I'd say a suppressor takes a back seat to an optic. I actually had a suppressor paid for before the scope because I went with a 30 cal can and had several platforms to use it on. Now mine has an AAC can on it as well as the 1-4x PST and I love the setup.

I was looking at the PST 1-4. Here's the price breakdown:
Viper PST 1-4 $499
Larue LT-104 $195
B5 Sopmod (MK18) $99
Gunfighter CH (MK18) $45
MIAD grip (MK18) $35
Padded VCAS sling (MK18) $55
Total: $928

AAC M4-2000: $850 locally.

OK, so it's only a $78 differential. Bottom line, I think the consensus is that glass makes more sense to have first than a can, right?

Polymerhead
01-25-12, 18:38
OK, so it's only a $78 differential. Bottom line, I think the consensus is that glass makes more sense to have first than a can, right?

I'd say so.

JasonM
01-25-12, 23:54
necessary? no

Definitely get good optics first.

SHIVAN
01-26-12, 09:10
I'm still going to be the word of dissent here...

I could understand if this was a question of primary optics versus suppressor, but it's secondary optics for a secondary weapon versus a "completed" primary.

Not everyone is a fan of suppressors, but I would rather have one, than buy another scope for a backup I may never use. If my primary carbine needs a break, I can always flip the cam on the RDS and move it to the secondary. If I have irons on the secondary, it's GTG for just about anything.

If you delay the purchase of a can, you can't just go and pick it up for use tomorrow, there is a long lead time to get it. Get that in process now, and save up for the next year to get Optic package #2.

If for some reason you get a windfall of cash, you can always run to your favorite vendor and snag the Vector scope and furniture at any time you like.

Eurodriver
01-26-12, 11:00
Viper PST 1-4 $499
Larue LT-104 $195
B5 Sopmod (MK18) $99
Gunfighter CH (MK18) $45
MIAD grip (MK18) $35

No, the M4-2000 will cost you $122 more than your list of parts.

ASH556
01-26-12, 11:40
No, the M4-2000 will cost you $122 more than your list of parts.

Really? Who pays MSRP for anything?

rob_s
01-26-12, 11:41
The latter.

ASH556
01-26-12, 11:47
The latter.

Really? I'm surprised to hear that from you especially. My reading about silencers just sitting in the safe was a lot of your input.

Well, I guess I need to go throw some more money down. I just did this one last night:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DD20MK18202.jpg

Now the question is, which can?

M4-2000 or SDN6? The easy answer is the N6 because it's more versatile, but it's also longer and heavier.

rob_s
01-26-12, 11:54
your question was:

ilencer: Necessary or an illusion?
to which I was relying "the latter", meaning illusion.

They are a fun toy, I suppose, but I'm not trying to cover that fact by making up applications for them. I have a 5.56 can so it rides on my HD gun, but without the can I'd feel just as good about the gun.

SHIVAN
01-26-12, 11:58
What about a light, and mount?...

Fair question, and it slipped my mind. I would typically grab a handheld, no matter the light status of the weapon I grabbed.

In all honestly, I can shoot pretty well using several handheld methods shown to me by LAV, Hack and Rogers. Though they should be listed.

They would be 4a on my list, along with the "optics" package.

Tootsies
01-26-12, 12:09
Really? I'm surprised to hear that from you especially. My reading about silencers just sitting in the safe was a lot of your input.

Well, I guess I need to go throw some more money down. I just did this one last night:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DD20MK18202.jpg

Now the question is, which can?

M4-2000 or SDN6? The easy answer is the N6 because it's more versatile, but it's also longer and heavier.
The M2k felt heavier to me. I went with the n6
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2627/dsc05993e.jpg

CarlosDJackal
01-26-12, 12:12
Viper PST 1-4 $499
Larue LT-104 $195
B5 Sopmod (MK18) $99
Gunfighter CH (MK18) $45
MIAD grip (MK18) $35

I think you forgot the $200 that Uncle Sam demands for each can.

I own two suppressors; one is for the 5.56 the other is for the .22LR. I use the .22LR quite a bit for pest control around my house (which is surrounded by 40-acres of woods). It's been a while since I shot the 5.56 can but I bought it for hunting coyotes (which I have yet to do).

Personally, I could have lived without the 5.56 can because its utility has been very limited. YMMV.